PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite John Rooney call?

thomas35forever
02-03-2006, 04:45 PM
Now that he's gone, what call from him stands out most in your mind?

WSox8404
02-03-2006, 04:50 PM
"The White Sox Have Won The Penant!! They've Won The Penant!!"

FoulTerritory
02-03-2006, 04:54 PM
"And they are mobbing each other on the field!"

the cadence with which he delivered that, immediately following "and the white sox have won the world series" made the call a classic in my mind.

I also like: "Did he catch catch it? did he catch it? He caught it! He caught!" -- regarding our little friend Juan.

NSSoxFan
02-03-2006, 04:56 PM
See sig below.

MUsoxfan
02-03-2006, 05:24 PM
"The White Sox Have Won The Penant!! They've Won The Penant!!"

I liked that one the most. I think what made it better was that he saw the play develop and knew the Sox were gonna get the out. The WS ending play was so bang-bang, even he was shocked

zach074
02-03-2006, 05:31 PM
"hocus pocus says Hernandez" (sp)

HomeFish
02-03-2006, 05:33 PM
"thomas Unloads!"

EMel9281
02-03-2006, 05:37 PM
My favorite call was featured on ESPN 1000. It was Rooney's call of the second game of the season. We were playing Cleveland and we were down 3 to 0 going into the bottom of the ninth. Crazy Carl lead off with a single and Paulie jacked a 2-run bomb to bring us to 3 to 2. Then, Jermaine Dye stepped up and tied it. It was Rooney's call of that homerun that STILL sends tingles down my spine. And, needless to say, the Sox went on to win the game. I was at that game, and was going to leave early to avoid traffic...I am darn glad that I didn't...

Half Cocked Jack
02-03-2006, 07:19 PM
"Hocus Pocus spells Hernandez!"

skobabe8
02-03-2006, 07:54 PM
I also like: "Did he catch catch it? did he catch it? He caught it! He caught!" -- regarding our little friend Juan.

You gotta finish the quote....

"...UUnnnnn-BEELIEVEABLE!!"

:bandance:

Pureone
02-03-2006, 09:51 PM
And yes, you have to have the

"...UUnnnnn-BEELIEVEABLE!!" :redface:

SouthSide_HitMen
02-03-2006, 10:11 PM
The last bit he did after the World Series with Bryan Dolgan where he pulled his leg. Rooney pretended to start an argument with Dolgan as Bruce Levine did the month prior. After the a few seconds Ronney started cracking up and told Dolgan to loosen up - the White Sox had won the World Series and he was just pulling his leg.

John Rooney - Ranks just below Pat Foley as my favorite all time announcer. I'll be listening to quite a few Cardinal games on MLB Radio this season.

I am encouraged after the reports out of SoxFest regarding Chris Singleton's public speaking skills. I am in the minority on this board liking Ed Farmer and if Singleton can learn quickly I hope to be listening to games in 2006 and beyond (though Hawk grew on me a bit this season as well).

The best arrangement would have been:

TV - John Rooney PBP, Hawk Harrelson Color
Radio - Dave Wills PBP, Ed Farmer Color

I still hope Dave comes back in some capacity over the next few seasons. He obviously still loves the team and White Sox baseball by attending SoxFest and from what is reported here he works on Comcast (I don't have cable so I don't know).

SOXintheBURGH
02-03-2006, 10:24 PM
"...he steps on the bag, THE WHITE SOX HAVE WON THE PENANT! They won the penant! They're mobbing Konerko on the first base side, and they're going to the World Series in the South Side next weekend! Oh baby!"

mike squires
02-03-2006, 10:39 PM
My favorite call was featured on ESPN 1000. It was Rooney's call of the second game of the season. We were playing Cleveland and we were down 3 to 0 going into the bottom of the ninth. Crazy Carl lead off with a single and Paulie jacked a 2-run bomb to bring us to 3 to 2. Then, Jermaine Dye stepped up and tied it. It was Rooney's call of that homerun that STILL sends tingles down my spine. And, needless to say, the Sox went on to win the game. I was at that game, and was going to leave early to avoid traffic...I am darn glad that I didn't...

That was a great game. I didn't hear his call but I was at home watching it on TV. I had just put my little girl down for her nap when the drama unfolded. I had the TV blaring and tears welling up in my eyes all giddy. Great game. That will be one of them shown again coming up in Feb...right?

mike squires
02-03-2006, 10:40 PM
There were many exciting calls from 93 that I remember. There were a few 9th inning homeruns from Bo and Robin that I recall.

1951Campbell
02-03-2006, 11:30 PM
I also like: "Did he catch catch it? did he catch it? He caught it! He caught it!" -- regarding our little friend Juan.

"UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!"

That's the one.

AWhiteSoxWinner
02-04-2006, 04:32 AM
Deep right center field, this is way back in the gap and ...ITS A GONER, A WHITE SOX WINNER, A WINNER ON A PODSEDNIK HOME RUN, AND THE WHITE SOX GO UP TWO GAMES TO NOTHING IN THE TWENTY 05 WORLD SERIES.:D:

Rooney's pennant win call is also an absolute classic.

RallyBowl
02-04-2006, 09:25 AM
"...and a World Championship for the White Sox! Enjoy it, Chicago, this one is looong overdue!"

flo-B-flo
02-04-2006, 09:35 AM
:whiner:

I want Mags back
02-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Deep right center field, this is way back in the gap and ...ITS A GONER, A WHITE SOX WINNER, A WINNER ON A PODSEDNIK HOME RUN, AND THE WHITE SOX GO UP TWO GAMES TO NOTHING IN THE TWENTY 05 WORLD SERIES.:D:

Rooney's pennant win call is also an absolute classic.

thats my pick too

Soxfest
02-04-2006, 09:17 PM
His call after the final out in World Series!:)

IronFisk
02-05-2006, 02:29 AM
"...he steps on the bag, THE WHITE SOX HAVE WON THE PENANT! They won the penant! They're mobbing Konerko on the first base side, and they're going to the World Series in the South Side next weekend! Oh baby!"

That's it - hands down.

soxinem1
02-05-2006, 07:55 AM
The last bit he did after the World Series with Bryan Dolgan where he pulled his leg. Rooney pretended to start an argument with Dolgan as Bruce Levine did the month prior. After the a few seconds Ronney started cracking up and told Dolgan to loosen up - the White Sox had won the World Series and he was just pulling his leg.

John Rooney - Ranks just below Pat Foley as my favorite all time announcer. I'll be listening to quite a few Cardinal games on MLB Radio this season.

I am encouraged after the reports out of SoxFest regarding Chris Singleton's public speaking skills. I am in the minority on this board liking Ed Farmer and if Singleton can learn quickly I hope to be listening to games in 2006 and beyond (though Hawk grew on me a bit this season as well).

The best arrangement would have been:

TV - John Rooney PBP, Hawk Harrelson Color
Radio - Dave Wills PBP, Ed Farmer Color

I still hope Dave comes back in some capacity over the next few seasons. He obviously still loves the team and White Sox baseball by attending SoxFest and from what is reported here he works on Comcast (I don't have cable so I don't know).

Good thoughts, but John prefers radio. He's always said he likes calling games on the radio side because he thinks he sounds better presenting the game to those who cannot see it, versus accompanying a video broadcast.

I really liked Dave Wills and thought they would do what they could to get him here. I do not look forward to a Summer of Singleton and Farmer at all.

John Rooney = Name Brand
Ed Farmer and Chris Singleton = Names Bland

gowhitesox
02-05-2006, 11:18 PM
My favorite John Rooney call is the final out of the World Series. "A White Sox winner and a world championship!!"

ChiSoxPatF
02-06-2006, 12:19 AM
Besides the obvious World Series call, I'd have to go with the call at the end of the Sox-Dodgers 1959 throwback game this year (short memory I guess.)

"....and this place is ELECTRIC!"

I was actually at the game but I've heard the call at a least dozen times. It was also the first time I thought this team was destined from something big.:gulp:

kevingrt
02-06-2006, 12:30 AM
The World Series call was pretty darn good but nothing was better then "The White Sox have won the pennant"

miker
02-06-2006, 11:34 AM
Just what I needed...dozens of reminders that I'm going to miss John Rooney. :(:

SoxSideIrish
02-06-2006, 12:10 PM
I don't know if any of your guys have heard this, or if it's been posted already, but ESPN1000 has a JR montage of clips put together to Green Day's "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)". This song is cliché but it's a pretty nice way to say Thanks.

Linky Link McLinkerson (http://rope.espnradio1000.com/sc/soxrooney_montage.wma)

It will automatically open a .wma file, so I'm pretty sure you need Windows Media Player.

nebraskasox
02-06-2006, 12:51 PM
The World Series call was pretty darn good but nothing was better then "The White Sox have won the pennant"

I particularly like the part where he says, "... and they'll start the World Series on the SOUTH SIDE next weekend." Music to my ears.

geraldfritz
02-06-2006, 05:31 PM
my favorite was... podsednik hits a drive, deep right center field, this is back at the wall, and its a GONER, A WHITE SOX WINNER, A WINNER ON A PODSEDNIK HOMERUN, AND THE WHITE SOX GO UP 2 GAMES TO NOTHING IN THE 20-05 WORLD SERIES.

It was made even better with ed farmer laughing in the background

Rooney4Prez56
02-07-2006, 12:47 PM
"...and a World Championship for the White Sox! Enjoy it, Chicago, this one is looong overdue!"

Thats my favorite.

Brian26
02-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Besides the obvious World Series call, I'd have to go with the call at the end of the Sox-Dodgers 1959 throwback game this year (short memory I guess.)

"....and this place is ELECTRIC!"

I think it was actually Farmer that said that after Rooney called the homer.

soxinem1
02-08-2006, 11:56 AM
It's not my favorite call, but I like the way he held his enthusiasm and usual excellent game calling skills when it was obvious he and other announcers were tiring out by the 13th inning in Game 3 of the 2005 World Series.

He was certainly better than Milo Hamilton's last call in the bottom of the 14th, which was something like:

'A popup to Uribe. The game is over and the White Sox go up 3-0 in the 2005 World Series'. He said all this before Uribe even caught the ball, sort of silly since Juan miffed the play right before that.

Sox-on-TV44
02-08-2006, 12:04 PM
:smile:
Still brings joy every time I hear Rooney say those words.

I'm gonna miss him.