PDA

View Full Version : its time for another trouble session

oldcomiskey
01-06-2002, 04:26 PM
according to a report I read---JR has given KW some money to spend---could it be Juan Gone or God forbid Rick Helling---Bob Higgenson or another lefty bat with the new short porch?

Jerry_Manuel
01-06-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
according to a report I read---JR has given KW some money to spend---could it be Juan Gone or God forbid Rick Helling---Bob Higgenson or another lefty bat with the new short porch?

Are you talking about the report in the sporting news? It said that Reinsdorf might give him more money to spend. I don't see it happening unless they can get Erstad. I wouldn't mind Juan Gonzalez though.

czalgosz
01-06-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I wouldn't mind Juan Gonzalez though.

I wouldn't mind him either, but Juan Gonzalez is demanding a 3-year deal worth $30-40 Mill. That's just too high a price to pay considering that he probably only has at most two productive seasons left in him, and he'll probably be a DH for most of those. Whatever team he ends up with, just watch, he'll pull a Belle and just eat salary for a couple years.

SOXSINCE'70
01-06-2002, 07:24 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. :smile: :smile:

RedPinStripes
01-06-2002, 11:13 PM
Juan Gone is a one or 2 year deal in my eyes. He's not worth 15mill a season either.

czalgosz
01-07-2002, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Juan Gone is a one or 2 year deal in my eyes. He's not worth 15mill a season either.

I agree that Gonzalez is only worth a one or two year deal, but he's asking for three, and some team will be stupid enough to give it to him.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-07-2002, 10:08 AM
Suppose the Sox did acquire free agent Juan Gonzalez. Where would you play him? Who on the team would you bench?

:hitless :slowswing :sandy"
"We're safe as kittens!"

Paulwny
01-07-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Suppose the Sox did acquire free agent Juan Gonzalez. Where would you play him? Who on the team would you bench?

"We're safe as kittens!"

Great question, if we didn't need to field a defense we'd have the most powerful line-up of dh's.

Tragg
01-07-2002, 11:21 AM
The problem is, those guys aren't what we need.

We need people to get on base - primarily ss and cf

RedPinStripes
01-07-2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

Great question, if we didn't need to field a defense we'd have the most powerful line-up of dh's.

Do you really think this team needs Clayton, Sandy , and Sissy? If we could get Juan, KW could get shafted on trading the three of them as usual. Singleton is the only one who might be worth something in a trade.

Paulwny
01-07-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Do you really think this team needs Clayton, Sandy , and Sissy? If we could get Juan, KW could get shafted on trading the three of them as usual. Singleton is the only one who might be worth something in a trade.

No we don't need those 3 but,as PHG said who sits the bench.
He won't be coming here anyway so it doesn't matter. JR won't match or surpass the met's or rangers' offer.

RedPinStripes
01-07-2002, 02:30 PM

He won't be coming here anyway so it doesn't matter. JR won't match or surpass the met's or rangers' offer.

You are correct sir!

oldcomiskey
01-07-2002, 04:14 PM

"We're safe as kittens!"
C Lee would then be traded for a pitcher--maybe Singleton too

PaleHoseGeorge
01-07-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
C Lee would then be traded for a pitcher--maybe Singleton too

I'm not sure that represents much of an upgrade, especially when you factor in Lee's youth compared to Juan's age.

I sure wish we could upgrade at catcher, shortstop, or center field. We've got a lot of head room there!

Jerry_Manuel
01-07-2002, 05:52 PM
I sure wish we could upgrade at catcher, shortstop, or center field. We've got a lot of head room there!

Call me crazy but I think Williams is going to make another run at Erstad. Which is the right thing to do in my opinion if they can lock him up long term. If they don't get Erstad then it's wait till next year for Borchard. At catcher it's hope and pray that Olivo can hit at least .240 with the Sox.

RichH55
01-07-2002, 06:36 PM

And I dont want JR to meet or beat those offers either.....Though the thought of him being willing to spend money is a nice thought....Erstad with a long term deal looks fine to me...saves you money concern on the Ray Durham situation as well

RichH55
01-07-2002, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Call me crazy but I think Williams is going to make another run at Erstad. Which is the right thing to do in my opinion if they can lock him up long term. If they don't get Erstad then it's wait till next year for Borchard. At catcher it's hope and pray that Olivo can hit at least .240 with the Sox.

YOU'RE CRAZY! But on this one...we can car pool to the asylum

oldcomiskey
01-07-2002, 06:44 PM

I'm not sure that represents much of an upgrade, especially when you factor in Lee's youth compared to Juan's age.

Good point PHG---I mean Juan Gone aint exactly 1dog out there