PDA

View Full Version : looking back- Second half preview 2005 Sporting News

The Dude
02-03-2006, 01:09 PM
I was reading one of my old Sporting News magazines on 2005 1st half grades and second half previews and came across this blurb by Arnie Spanier...

"Give the World Series to the White Sox. Buehrle and Garland are a great 1-2 pitching punch, and the bats are starting to come around. They're getting healthy at the right time, and Ozzie Guillen has control of this team. Eat your hearts out Cubs fans!"

I dont know about you guys but I was shocked I missed this the first time around and also reading a sports writer saying to give us the series at the halfway point. Thoughts??

SouthSideLove
02-03-2006, 01:19 PM
That is quite a shocking find, to see a sports writer give the Sox some cred and respect midseason, and have the foresight to see what was going on. Good find dude.

Ol' No. 2
02-03-2006, 01:57 PM
That is quite a shocking find, to see a sports writer give the Sox some cred and respect midseason, and have the foresight to see what was going on. Good find dude.There were a few. If you recall, Steve Phillips finally saw the light mid-season and became one of the Sox' biggest believers.

Fake Chet Lemon
02-03-2006, 02:06 PM
I found the Sporting News to be the most fair national publication covering us. Like everyone else, they missed the boat on us early in the season but at least they caught on quicker than anyone.

Unfortunately there still isn't enough baseball coverage in their mag for me to recommend subscribing. Baseball is kind of an after-thought most of the time other than some good stuff by Ken Rosenthal. They seem to have a NASCAR obsession for some reason. So if you live in a trailer, you'd probably love the Sporting News.

Stoky44
02-03-2006, 02:24 PM
So if you live in a trailer, you'd probably love the Sporting News.

Teal? I am not a NASCAR fan myself, but that was a little harsh. I may agree with your correlation of NASCAR and trailers, but would be hesitant to say that here on the boards. Who is the NFL for, MLB for, and the NBA.... better stop now before a ban is issued.

palehozenychicty
02-03-2006, 02:34 PM
I remember them mentioning this nugget. They were right! As one poster said, they don't cover baseball thoroughly enough to merit a strong readership. Too bad.

The Dude
02-03-2006, 05:28 PM
So if you live in a trailer, you'd probably love the Sporting News.

Ummm i dont live in a trailer but I do subscribe to the Sporting news and do enjoy it. I also am a NASCAR fan, and again, I dont live in a trailer. :rolleyes:

Pretty offensive and completely ignorant statement. I might add that it resembles typical Cubs fan responses in regards to White Sox fans that they are living in a trailer or gang members.

FedEx227
02-04-2006, 12:25 AM
Maybe 30-40-50 years ago when Cale Yarborough, Bobby Allison and Richard Petty were dominating the sport. But thats just a terrible stereotype that holds no bearing anymore.

Go to any NASCAR event and for as many hicks you'll see, you'll see a ton more normal guys. I'm a Nascar Fan, as is my dad, somehow we both don't live in trailers.

thomas35forever
02-04-2006, 02:12 AM
Amazing, simply amazing. Maybe we should put our faith in The Sporting News from now on.

rwcescato
02-04-2006, 10:08 AM
I found the Sporting News to be the most fair national publication covering us. Like everyone else, they missed the boat on us early in the season but at least they caught on quicker than anyone.

Unfortunately there still isn't enough baseball coverage in their mag for me to recommend subscribing. Baseball is kind of an after-thought most of the time other than some good stuff by Ken Rosenthal. They seem to have a NASCAR obsession for some reason. So if you live in a trailer, you'd probably love the Sporting News.

I saw a quick review of the baseball preview of the sporting news that just came out. I believe it was 50% of the writers had the White Sox repeating as champs.
Rich

soxinem1
02-05-2006, 09:45 PM
I saw a quick review of the baseball preview of the sporting news that just came out. I believe it was 50% of the writers had the White Sox repeating as champs.
Rich

Talk about jumping on the bandwagon..... Predictions are for Thomas E. Dewey and the 1990 Oakland A's, guys who won the prediction race and got burned.

I'd rather have them all disrespect us again because we still have to show up and play. All talent aside, intensity is hard to carry over year to year.

Just ask the 1983 White Sox, who were also favored to win a weaker division in 1984 and ended up tying the team with the worst record in 1983 (Seattle) for fourth in 84.

Black Jack 29
02-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Speaking of magazines jumping on the NASCAR bandwagon, I see that Sports Weekly has now decided to add this kind of coverage to their existing baseball and football coverage because of the fact that it is among the biggest spectator sports in the U.S.. Hey, horse racing is also one of the biggest spectator sports. Guess it will be a matter of time before SW adds that as part of their weekly coverage as well.

Always enjoyed it more when it was known simply as Baseball Weekly.

elrod
02-06-2006, 01:08 AM
I live in a trailer on the Fox River and I don't like NASCAR...

Actually, I don't live in a trailer but I do like NASCAR. I'm heading to NYC of all places to watch the Daytona 500 with college friends. We might be the only people in the entire Big Apple paying attention but so what. Oh, and I plan on wearing nothing but White Sox stuff.