PDA

View Full Version : Last bullpen spot?

chaotic8512
02-03-2006, 01:07 AM
Who's it going to, guys? I haven't heard a definitive answer yet, but looking at Baj's numbers from last year, notably the 1.41 ERA and 83 Ks in 70.1 IP, I am thinkin' I want it to be him.

Banix12
02-03-2006, 01:18 AM
I'm thinking it's worthless to project on this and you won't get a definitive answer until spring training.

doublem23
02-03-2006, 03:03 AM
Given Ozzie's quote that is on the Sox-o-Gram on the site's main page... probably not Arnie Munoz.

rdivaldi
02-03-2006, 09:45 AM
Who's it going to, guys? I haven't heard a definitive answer yet, but looking at Baj's numbers from last year, notably the 1.41 ERA and 83 Ks in 70.1 IP, I am thinkin' I want it to be him.

Those are AAA numbers from a AAAA pitcher. Baj will have to pitch lights out in ST to beat out Redding and the host of lefties we have trying out.

sox1970
02-03-2006, 09:50 AM
It's a crapshoot at this point, and it depends on if they'll carry 6 or 7 pitchers. I prefer a 6-man bullpen. If they don't trade Contreras, I'll go with Brandon McCarthy, Javier Lopez, Cliff Poliite, Neal Cotts, Dutin Hermanson, and Bobby Jenks.

chaotic8512
02-03-2006, 09:44 PM
I'm thinking it's worthless to project on this and you won't get a definitive answer until spring training.

Well gee, I thought I had the final say on things when it came to team roster decisions!

Look, if you think it's a waste of time, then don't bother responding. But I think the sixth spot in our bullpen is going to be one of our most pivotal spots in our 25-man roster, along with Anderson (and perhaps Thome if he has nagging problems). It's certainly worth speculating, and personally, I want to know what some of you think of our options, and at this point, we have Javier Lopez, Tim Redding, and Baj mentioned... certainly there will be a few others who will have a shot at it. Anyone want to offer an reason as to why one could stand above the rest?

rdivaldi
02-03-2006, 11:06 PM
). It's certainly worth speculating, and personally, I want to know what some of you think of our options, and at this point, we have Javier Lopez, Tim Redding, and Baj mentioned... certainly there will be a few others who will have a shot at it. Anyone want to offer an reason as to why one could stand above the rest?

Redding is much more talented that the rest and can be used to spot start if needed. I see him as an easy choice to replace Vizcaino in the bullpen.

CWSpalehoseCWS
02-03-2006, 11:32 PM
I have a feeling that Lopez will win out because he is a LHP and it seems like Ozzie likes having 2 LHPs.

Banix12
02-03-2006, 11:38 PM
Well gee, I thought I had the final say on things when it came to team roster decisions!

Look, if you think it's a waste of time, then don't bother responding. But I think the sixth spot in our bullpen is going to be one of our most pivotal spots in our 25-man roster, along with Anderson (and perhaps Thome if he has nagging problems). It's certainly worth speculating, and personally, I want to know what some of you think of our options, and at this point, we have Javier Lopez, Tim Redding, and Baj mentioned... certainly there will be a few others who will have a shot at it. Anyone want to offer an reason as to why one could stand above the rest?

I only consider it worthless because this thread topic pops up every week and likely will pop up every week from now until spring training.

Anyway, your first question talked about a "definitive" answer. And there won't a "definitive" answer until after spring training because all the options that have been brought in have done nothing in particular to separate themselves from the pack and they won't get an opprotunity to do so until spring training.

As for what I think of most of the options. I think most of them are career minor league pitchers who have no business even touching a major league mound. Right now I consider them about even coming into spring and it is up to them to break out of the pack. I also wouldn't be shocked if none of them breakout and the final pitcher is acquired off waivers or through trade at the end of spring training.

IowaSox1971
02-04-2006, 03:14 AM
I do think we need another lefty besides Cotts. But it would be tough to leave Baj off the roster if he has a 1.25 ERA in spring training and the lefties are getting hit all over the place.

soxinem1
02-05-2006, 04:15 PM
Given Ozzie's quote that is on the Sox-o-Gram on the site's main page... probably not Arnie Munoz.

I think Oz did that to challenge him. I remember that game he started against the Expos a couple years ago and Munoz just served it up on a platter. I know if that was me out there getting hammered, I would have at least moved the ball around, not just looped it up there.

His backers say he did much better when he came back in September out of the pen, but 5-6 mop up games means nothing. He reminded me of Juan Agosto (Disgusto) and Ray Searage (Raw Sewage) at times in the mid-80's......

I agree about Oz liking two lefties, Ozzie learned that from his managers when he was a player, who sometimes had three of them (1990 Sox).

I sort of wish Randolph can get his head out of his ***. This guy has really good, hard, moving stuff and could be like Marte when he first came here. Damaso was a strike machine his first couple years with the Sox after battling control problems in the past, I'd like to see how Coop handles this guy.