PDA

View Full Version : More Blurbs from the SoxFest Seminars...

Brian26
02-02-2006, 10:30 PM
Not a lot of people have posted about the seminars. Here was one of my favorite moments. It happened during the Saturday seminar with Hawk, Ozzie, and KW:

:hawk

"...But I knew from the start what kind of manager Ozzie was going to be. A lot of these managers today manage to CTA. You know what that means...cover their "behinds". Not Ozzie. The first day he was here, opening day in Kansas City, we go into the bottom of the 9th with a 4-run lead. Ozzie brings in Billy Koch, and before you had a chance to look up at the scoreboard, after a single, two doubles, a hit batter, a homer run, and we lost the game by two runs. Well, after the dust settles, I go down to the lockerroom after the game, and I get there, and the music's turned up, guys are playing cards, there's lots of talking and laughing. And I go into Ozzie's office, because I was dad-gum curious. I said Ozzie, "What are you going to do?". Ozzie said, "What do you mean?" I said, "About Koch. What are you going to do about Billy Koch?" Ozzie looked at me, smiled, and said, "I told him to get ready to go out there tomorrow and blow another one for me." And that's when I knew Ozzie was the right man for this job.

DMarte708
02-02-2006, 10:33 PM
Koch shouldn't have taken Guillen's advice so literally. :D:

spiffie
02-03-2006, 10:27 AM
Ozzie looked at me, smiled, and said, "I told him to get ready to go out there tomorrow and blow another one for me." And that's when I knew Ozzie was the right man for this job.
I believe he also used the same line on Bobby Jenks after Game 2, as he said that after Podsednik's homer that he found Jenks while everyone else was celebrating and told him "be ready to blow another save tomorrow."

DaveIsHere
02-03-2006, 11:13 AM
I believe he also used the same line on Bobby Jenks after Game 2, as he said that after Podsednik's homer that he found Jenks while everyone else was celebrating and told him "be ready to blow another save tomorrow."

No he said "Be ready for tomorrow We need you"

Dont know where you got that quote from

spiffie
02-03-2006, 11:17 AM
No he said "Be ready for tomorrow We need you"

Dont know where you got that quote from

I believe it was the second Ozzie/KW seminar of the day on Saturday.

DaveIsHere
02-03-2006, 11:18 AM
I believe it was the second Ozzie/KW seminar of the day on Saturday.

The actual game quote is the one I specified and is on the WS DVD, are you just saying that is what was said in the seminar?

zach61
02-03-2006, 12:00 PM
The actual game quote is the one I specified and is on the WS DVD, are you just saying that is what was said in the seminar?

Yes, that is what Hawk said at the seminar.

Palehose13
02-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Yes, that is what Hawk said at the seminar.

Yeah, I heard the Jenks game 2 story at the Saturday seminar and I could swear Ozzie said 'Be ready to blow another one tomorrow" or something like that.

zach61
02-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Yeah, I heard the Jenks game 2 story at the Saturday seminar and I could swear Ozzie said 'Be ready to blow another one tomorrow" or something like that.

I wouldn't be surprised if what was said in the clubhouse was different than what was said to the press. Who knows if what Hawk said is true or not, but it made a good story at the seminar.

tacosalbarojas
02-03-2006, 12:56 PM
Not a lot of people have posted about the seminars. Here was one of my favorite moments. It happened during the Saturday seminar with Hawk, Ozzie, and KW:

"...But I knew from the start what kind of manager Ozzie was going to be. A lot of these managers today manage to CTA. You know what that means...cover their "behinds". Not Ozzie. The first day he was here, opening day in Kansas City, we go into the bottom of the 9th with a 4-run lead. Ozzie brings in Billy Koch, and before you had a chance to look up at the scoreboard, after a single, two doubles, a hit batter, a homer run, and we lost the game by two runs. Well, after the dust settles, I go down to the lockerroom after the game, and I get there, and the music's turned up, guys are playing cards, there's lots of talking and laughing. And I go into Ozzie's office, because I was dad-gum curious. I said Ozzie, "What are you going to do?". Ozzie said, "What do you mean?" I said, "About Koch. What are you going to do about Billy Koch?" Ozzie looked at me, smiled, and said, "I told him to get ready to go out there tomorrow and blow another one for me." And that's when I knew Ozzie was the right man for this job.I had heard Hawk tell this story several times before, but it's still funny every time he tells it again. I've got to say, Hawk was really working the crowd on the Sunday session with Pods and Crede. Totally in his element.

Corlose 15
02-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Not to defend Billy Crotch or anything but the way I remember it he wasn't the only lousy pitcher in that inning. Didn't they use three, and IIRC Marte was the one who gave up the GW HR to Beltran.

Man, talking about that brings back bad memories...deep breath......world series champs. Ah, thats better.:cool:

chisoxmike
02-04-2006, 11:57 AM
KW was telling the crowd something that went like this..."Look, as long as I'm here, I'm going to make some trades and signings that you may not like, but they will be agressive. Some of them will work, some of them will blow up in my face, thats what I am prepared to do."

Then KW said under his breath "Todd Richie." Most of the crowd heard it and started busting out laughing.

Brian26
02-04-2006, 01:22 PM
This is a fun one to think about. KW was talking about how he views his job and how they come together (He, Ozzie, Hahn, Hawk) to make decisions. If anyone doesn't think Ken Harrelson still plays at least a small role in decision-making in this organization, this might be eye-opening. KW said this at least twice over the weekend (Fri night and Sat afternoon).

:KW

"What we do...and really it's just a group effort. We get together in a room, behind closed doors, and no matter how long it takes, we just try to put our minds together and come up with something that works. And when we get together, me, Ozzie, Hawk is there, we really just throw the titles out the window at that point. Rick Hahn, Farmer will be there. We'll just try to put our heads together, it doesn't matter what our 'titles' or 'positions' are, we're just trying to come together for the common good because we're all passionate and we understand that passion that comes with being a Sox fan."

"You're dadgum right. You know, I called Kenny last year just before Christmas. I told him about AJ. I've known AJ since he was 16 years old. I call him 'Dennis the Menace'. I told Kenny, 'Give this guy a chance. The fans are going to LOVE him. As an opponent, you're going to hate him. But he busts his BEHIND, and the people here are really going to take to him.' "

1951Campbell
02-04-2006, 02:51 PM
Then KW said under his breath "Todd Richie." Most of the crowd heard it and started busting out laughing.

Nice.