PDA

View Full Version : Media Guide

TheKittle
02-02-2006, 03:00 PM
For those you collect media guides, which White Sox media guide is your favorite?

I love the 1984. Let's do it again!!!!

The 1990 media guide is a close runner up.

chisoxfanatic
02-02-2006, 03:03 PM
I'll be getting my first media guide ever with my season ticket package this year. I'm sure that, due to the World Series title, they'll make this one extra special!!! I can't wait to see it!

What should I expect in the media guide?

scottjanssens
02-02-2006, 03:17 PM
I'll be getting my first media guide ever with my season ticket package this year. I'm sure that, due to the World Series title, they'll make this one extra special!!! I can't wait to see it!

I didn't get my media guide for last season until November when it arrived in a box with all the promos from the season. Is that when they normally send them out?

TheKittle
02-02-2006, 03:33 PM

The media guide his bios of each player on the 40 man roster, stats from the season before, and historical stats and team leaders.

miker
02-02-2006, 03:38 PM
The media guide his bios of each player on the 40 man roster, stats from the season before, and historical stats and team leaders.
If the media has a guide how come they're so often wrong? :?:

Where can I find a 2005 Guide? I have 1983 and 2000. Last year would be a nice add ition to the set.

SOXintheBURGH
02-02-2006, 04:26 PM
94 is pretty sweet.. Frank and Black Jack on the cover.

russ99
02-02-2006, 04:35 PM
I didn't get my media guide for last season until November when it arrived in a box with all the promos from the season. Is that when they normally send them out?

Sweet. Another nice perk for the Season Ticket holders. I got my collection of all 2005 Sox-printed materials the hard way. Bought em' all at the park.

I am still missing a ALCS program... couldn't get a ticket for that series.

scottjanssens
02-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Sweet. Another nice perk for the Season Ticket holders. I got my collection of all 2005 Sox-printed materials the hard way. Bought em' all at the park.

I am still missing a ALCS program... couldn't get a ticket for that series.

The didn't give away the programs, just the crap they give out at the gate like hats, thunderstix, children's jersey, etc.

chisoxmike
02-02-2006, 09:35 PM
If the media has a guide how come they're so often wrong? :?:

Where can I find a 2005 Guide? I have 1983 and 2000. Last year would be a nice add ition to the set.

If there are any left, you can buy them at the garage sale during the season, thats where I picked up the 2000 and 2003 media guides.

I would assume that the 2006 media guide will come in the box of tickets for ST holders. That would be my guess.

mccombe_35
02-02-2006, 11:13 PM
I have a few media guides. '86, '91, '93 - '97 & '99

'86 is pretty cool "Aces in the Hole" with ChiSox playing cards w/ Appling, Aparicio, & Guillen on the cover.

'94 is pretty sweet. has all the award winners on the cover MOY Lamont, GG Ventura, MVP Frank, & Cy Jack.

3 of em have Frank as the centerpiece & thats not too shabby either.

TheKittle
02-03-2006, 12:28 AM
EBay always has White Sox media guides on there. Watch out as some sellers will get you with $5-7 postage. Most media guides only cost $2 media mail and the Flat Rate Priority Mail envelope is only about $4.

RadioheadRocks
02-03-2006, 12:40 AM
I have quite a few of them from the late 60s through the early 90s, including BOTH 1972 guides (they did a revised edition with Dick Allen on the cover once he joined the team).

By far and away the WORST one was the 1977 guide. Check out some of the player and coach pictures and you'll see the most hideous airbrush jobs in history (including some VERY BADLY drawn SOX logos on the caps and also some obviously "done with black Magic Marker" collars drawn to make it look like some players were wearing the infamous "softball UNIs").

crazyozzie02
02-03-2006, 10:29 AM
WOW!!!! I thought i was the only one who collected media guides. I like the 2003 one just becasue of the All*Star game. (The season sucked majorly but..)
One question though. Does anyone know where i can get old media guides. i would love to add to my collection (I have 2002-2005) Thanks

Colin

Chipol
02-03-2006, 10:40 AM
WOW!!!! I thought i was the only one who collected media guides.
Colin

Funny, I had the opposite reaction. I would have guessed that the posters here are so hard-core that getting the media guide would be automatic.:D:

I have a complete run going back to the mid-eighties. Most years I pick them up at spring training. If I don't get to spring training, I order one from the Sox. That part can get spotty. Some years they were posted on the Publications page of the Sox/MLB web site store. But some years (like last year, as I recall) they don't get posted and I have to make a phone call. One year, my brother picked one up for me at the ball park, so I just assumed they are available there also.

anewman35
02-03-2006, 11:22 AM
WOW!!!! I thought i was the only one who collected media guides. I like the 2003 one just becasue of the All*Star game. (The season sucked majorly but..)
One question though. Does anyone know where i can get old media guides. i would love to add to my collection (I have 2002-2005) Thanks

I have them going back to 1984, mostly bought on ebay. If you wait long enough, you can usually find them for under $5 each.

HITMEN OF 77
02-03-2006, 02:53 PM
1970. Rarely seen and very hard to find.

TheKittle
02-03-2006, 02:54 PM
I'm not trying to pimp this store, but AU Sports has a big selection of media guides (all sports) and most guides are under $5.

soxpower
02-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Au Sports also has old White Sox schedules for sale.