PDA

View Full Version : Worst game of the Year!

gosox83
02-02-2006, 01:16 PM
I thought this would be fun ONLY because we won the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP!!

Baseball is so cool how there are so many games, and during some of them your team looks like it couldn't beat the Bad News Bears, and then others it looks like they could sweep the World Series.

My question is, what game was the most heart breaking loss for you?

They lost 63 games in the regular season, so there are not as many to choose from, but explain what game (For you) was their worst loss.

Mine was September 19th vs. Cleveland.

We had a one run lead and Bad Bobby Jenks was in for the 8th I believe. There were runners on second and third, and Boone fought off a bunch of fastballs, and finally smacked one up the middle just past Uribe, scoring the go ahead run. This brought Cleveland even closer to the Sox and sent me into panic mode.

Of course we all know the next night the Sox put a Pole named A.J. on the Boone and Hawk yelled .......JOOOOOOOEEEE CREEEEDEEEEE!!!!

and then on October 26, 2005 at 11:05, the Sox in my book were forgiven for every loss ever suffered.

SOXintheBURGH
02-02-2006, 01:19 PM
Prior vs. Garland at the Cell blew.

Look at me, obsessed with the Cubs.

salty99
02-02-2006, 01:20 PM
This thread is lame.

mantis1212
02-02-2006, 01:24 PM
I'd have to go with Santana vs. McCarthy the second-to-last week or so. I beleieve the SOX we up 1-0 going into the eighth inning, and ended up losing.

That was killer, pushed the lead down to 1.5 games I think, and brought my personal attendence record to 2-9 for the year.

FarSouthSoxFan
02-02-2006, 01:30 PM
I gotta go with Freddy's one-hitter losing to Satan's right-hand-man, Johan Santana. That was something. 1-0. Yuck.

Jerko
02-02-2006, 01:31 PM
2 games bugged me: Blowing 5-0 and 9-4 leads vs KC and losing both by a run. The worst game though was the playoff loss.

Dick Allen
02-02-2006, 01:31 PM
The third game at Wrigley (the only one of the three I attended), Sox going for the sweep. McCarthy pitches decently, leaves with a 2-1 lead. Vizcaino comes in and gives up a three-run HR to the immortal Jason Dubois.:angry: One of the many reasons I was glad to see Vizcaino leave.

HotelWhiteSox
02-02-2006, 01:35 PM
The one that got me the most mad was the game in Oakland when Crede's HBP got called back. That Red Sox game with the Ramirez walk off killed as well. All those feelings from the losses, worth it after October

Cat Thief
02-02-2006, 01:35 PM
The worst game though was the playoff loss.

Yeah, can't believe I seen their only playoff loss. Figures. Maybe it was those dark clouds I was carrying around before the ALCS. Good thing I only had tickets for Game 1.

jdm2662
02-02-2006, 01:38 PM
I gotta go with Freddy's one-hitter losing to Satan's right-hand-man, Johan Santana. That was something. 1-0. Yuck.

I concur. Baseball wise, it's one of the best games you'll ever see. However, I was so mad after that game, I felt my anger in my sleep. The Sox took the next two games that series and pretty much ended any hopes of the Twins catching them. Thank god for the World Series Champs tag!

Ol' No. 2
02-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Sept 15 in KC. After getting their asses handed to them by the Angels at home while the Indians were gaining ground, we were looking forward to three "easy" wins against the Royals. They lost 2 out of three. The last, a particularly ugly loss, was the day playoff tickets went on sale.

Madvora
02-02-2006, 01:42 PM
That Red Sox game with the Ramirez walk off killed as well.Oh God! I remember screaming at the TV because I thought Crede was "hot dogging" that pop foul he dropped.

sox1970
02-02-2006, 01:46 PM
September 14 at Kansas City. Blowing a 9-4 lead, and giving up 3 runs in the bottom of the 9th to lose 10-9.

Royals ninth: Hermanson pitching. Sweeney struck out. Stairs singled to center. Ambres pinch-running for Stairs. E.Brown singled to center, Ambres to second. Teahen singled to right, Ambres scored, E.Brown to third. Berroa doubled to right, E.Brown scored, Teahen to third. On Dye's error, Teahen scored.
Runs: 3, Hits: 4, Errors: 1

Horrible game with Cleveland breathing down our necks.

Then we won 16 out of 17 to win the World Series!!

MUsoxfan
02-02-2006, 01:48 PM
That game in Oakland where JD dropped that fly ball. I don't recall if it was the Crede/HBP game, but when JD dropped that ball I was irate.

None of this matters now anyway:cool:

pdimas
02-02-2006, 01:52 PM
I gotta go with the third game at Wrigley as well. McCarthy's debut. He pitched a hell of a game. I still thought we were in it after Viz (I wanted to strangle him for McCarthy's sake) gave up the homerun because the wind began to pick up and I believe Dye hit one out of the park. Then the next day all we have to hear about is how Prior willed the cubs to win and how he refused to be taken out of the game. McCarthy was right there with him pitch for pitch. Hell of a debut disappointing outcome.

chisoxmike
02-02-2006, 01:53 PM
Oh God! I remember screaming at the TV because I thought Crede was "hot dogging" that pop foul he dropped.

After I got done screaming about the drop ball, I knew Manny was going to hit a home run on the very next pitch.

Yes, Crede ****ed up that play big time by trying to be a show boat, but Viz threw a ball that said "please hit me out into the bleachers" to Manny. So, they were both at fault.

palehozenychicty
02-02-2006, 01:53 PM
The Ramirez walk off against the Carmines. The cell was buzzing with energy that crackled through the tv set, and we let down. :(: but it ended up being all good later on, as we know.

anti-cub
02-02-2006, 01:55 PM
I have several but the one that stands out most right now is Aug 16th against Twinkies. Hermanson giving up a game tying homer to Michael Cuddy Duddley. Then sit in the bleachers through another agonizing 7 innings, only to lose.

pdimas
02-02-2006, 01:57 PM
That playoff loss was a downer as well. I remember waiting in line at the port o potties outside and two sox fans got into a heated argument as to why the sox lost and what calls should have been made. They started getting in each others faces and were almost ready to throw down. It kind of cracked me up and I thought cubs fans would be doing this :whiner: or :gulp: after such a loss but not us sox fans we get pissed. Man do we hate losing :smile: .

chisoxmike
02-02-2006, 01:59 PM
That playoff loss was a downer as well. I remember waiting in line at the port o potties outside and two sox fans got into a heated argument as to why the sox lost and what calls should have been made. They started getting in each others faces and were almost ready to throw down. It kind of cracked me up and I thought cubs fans would be doing this :whiner: or :gulp: after such a loss but not us sox fans we get pissed. Man do we hate losing :smile: .

For some reason, I was not bothered at all with the Game 1 ALCS loss. Everyone I knew was so down that night. I just kept telling people that if the Sox win tomorrow, we'll be fine.

kittle42
02-02-2006, 02:00 PM
September 14 at Kansas City. Blowing a 9-4 lead, and giving up 3 runs in the bottom of the 9th to lose 10-9.

Royals ninth: Hermanson pitching. Sweeney struck out. Stairs singled to center. Ambres pinch-running for Stairs. E.Brown singled to center, Ambres to second. Teahen singled to right, Ambres scored, E.Brown to third. Berroa doubled to right, E.Brown scored, Teahen to third. On Dye's error, Teahen scored.

This game was one of those games where you could just feel it unraveling.

Also horrible: that game right before the break out at Oakland - Friday night - Contreras walked 7, hit some dudes, and threw about 4 wild ones. Yuck.

eriqjaffe
02-02-2006, 02:10 PM
I'd say the worst game all year was early in the season: April 7 against the Indians - Shingo gives up 3 solo shots in the bottom of the ninth (the last two back-to-back with 2 outs), and then Cleveland put up a 6 spot in the 11th. It was too early in the season, and it got me all worried that the whole year would be a big disappointment.

Then again, it wasn't a disappointment at all. :D

Jerko
02-02-2006, 02:13 PM
I'd say the worst game all year was early in the season: April 7 against the Indians - Shingo gives up 3 solo shots in the bottom of the ninth (the last two back-to-back with 2 outs), and then Cleveland put up a 6 spot in the 11th. It was too early in the season, and it got me all worried that the whole year would be a big disappointment.

That was the first of 4 "third game of a series losses" to start the season IIRC. The Sox were 8-4 (they won the first 2 and lost the last of the first 4 series) and I think that's when the famous "this team lacks killer instinct" thread started because they didn't sweep anyone.

C-Dawg
02-02-2006, 02:15 PM

Yeah, of the games I attended, that was probably the most disappointing. Another one I went to was a couple weeks later; a bad loss to Oakland.

That Red Sox game with the Ramirez walk off killed as well.

Some dopey Cub/Red Cub fan called me from the ramps after that game to rub it in that the Red Sox had won after Crede dropped the foul ball; I was able to call his bluff by making him admit he really wasn't a Red Sox fan - he was really there to root against the White Sox. Still a bad game however.

Jerko
02-02-2006, 02:19 PM
Some dopey Cub/Red Cub fan called me from the ramps after that game to rub it in that the Red Sox had won after Crede dropped the foul ball; I was able to call his bluff by making him admit he really wasn't a Red Sox fan - he was really there to root against the White Sox. Still a bad game however.

There were a TON of those that whole series. :rolleyes: My favorite was the guy in the Stadium Club with his brand new NOMAR RED SOX jersey. I know he got it cheap because Nomar was on the Cubs when he bought it, but we shamed him into admitting his true colors as well. :?:

dcb56
02-02-2006, 02:19 PM
Of course we all know the next night the Sox put a Pole named A.J. on the Boone and Hawk yelled .......JOOOOOOOEEEE CREEEEDEEEEE!!!!

The game after that one on Sept. 21st blew. I was at the Crede walkoff game and was so pumped becuase it appeared as if the Sox had finally turned the corner and because I had really good seats for the game on the 21st thanks to a hookup from work. Thought for sure the Sox would make lunchmeat of Elarton, but he was on that night along with Travis Hafner (2HR, 5RBI) and the Sox got trounced 8-0.

chisoxmike
02-02-2006, 02:24 PM
There were a TON of those that whole series. :rolleyes: My favorite was the guy in the Stadium Club with his brand new NOMAR RED SOX jersey. I know he got it cheap because Nomar was on the Cubs when he bought it, but we shamed him into admitting his true colors as well. :?:

The next night's game when the Sox won 8-4 over the Red Sox, when the Pale Hose went up 7-1, the Red Sox "fans" in my row got up and left and said "You can have one."

I replied "We can also have a better record than you."

The one guy said "Win a world series."

After he said that, the people around me then got pretty stirred up. Lots of obscenities started flying out at them and these "fans" were told to go back to the north side and put back on their Cubs shirts. Very funny moment last season to me.
</IMG></IMG>

pdimas
02-02-2006, 02:26 PM
For some reason, I was not bothered at all with the Game 1 ALCS loss. Everyone I knew was so down that night. I just kept telling people that if the Sox win tomorrow, we'll be fine.

I was telling everyone I saw in the parking lot on the way out the same thing. I kept telling them that we had never won more than 8 straight all year and that I wasn't worried one bit. Most people who I said that to told me that they hadn't thought about that and that I was right. Smiles instantly returning to their faces. :D:

Chicken Dinner
02-02-2006, 02:28 PM

That's the game I was thinking of. Ozzie blowing through the bullpen and then the Viz running out of gas because he was the only one left.

ChiSoxGirl
02-02-2006, 03:02 PM
I've got a few that fit the bill here:

8.23.05- Freddy Garcia vs. Johan Santana. Both pitchers were throwing what looked to be the game of their lives (Freddy had the REAL games of his life throughout the playoffs, unlike Santana :wink:) and all Garcia did was make one mistake and we had ourselves a 1 run on 1 hit loss to the Twins! :angry: One of the things that made this so painful was it was in the heart of our "slump."

9.14.05- Sox @ Kansas City. This loss took the lead down to 4 1/2 games and I remember declaring myself officially "jumping off the ledge" that afternoon. I just couldn't handle a loss to the Royals... especially in the manner with which it happened!

9.19.05- Sox vs. Indians. Enjoying a party on the Fan Deck, I wasn't too bothered initially by the Sox being down 4-0, until a Cub fan I know called and started harassing me. They came back to tie it up in the 6th, I believe, and I returned that phone call an inning later. Our bullpen imploded, giving up 2 runs in the 8th and another in the 9th to pin us with a 7-5 loss when Cleveland was hot on our tails.

In the end, none of these losses proved detrimental to our ultimate fate- WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS! :bandance:

chisoxfanatic
02-02-2006, 03:07 PM
a bad loss to Oakland.

Are you talking about that ugly Saturday game on the 9th of July where Buehrle clearly didn't have it and we lost something like 10-2? I was at that game, and the only thing holding me there were the fireworks following the game. I was so :angry: walking back home that night!!!

infohawk
02-02-2006, 03:14 PM
2 games bugged me: Blowing 5-0 and 9-4 leads vs KC and losing both by a run. The worst game though was the playoff loss.
I have to agree with this one. That game almost literally made me sick! We needed every win we could get to hold Cleveland off. We were in control of that game twice, but you just had the sense that we would keep blowing the leads. I was frustrated because Freddy just didn't have it, and the bullpen, IIRC, was no better. I remember Hawk yelling "MERCY" after the winning run for KC scored all the way from first base on a ball that Jermaine Dye let bounce away from him. What made it even worse is that one of my Cub fan friends e-mailed me the next morning and the text read "MERCY." Ouch!

Had that game happened in April, May or June, I probably wouldn't even remember it. The fact that it happened when the Sox were doing everything they could to keep Cleveland from passing them in the standings made it a brutal, brutal game to watch. I was seriously depressed after that one!

oeo
02-02-2006, 03:23 PM
The worst one I went to was the game that the D'backs absolutely slaughtered Contreras within the first few innings. The game was over at that point, the only offense was a Frank homerun. What a crappy game that was...

infohawk
02-02-2006, 03:26 PM
The game after that one on Sept. 21st blew. I was at the Crede walkoff game and was so pumped becuase it appeared as if the Sox had finally turned the corner and because I had really good seats for the game on the 21st thanks to a hookup from work. Thought for sure the Sox would make lunchmeat of Elarton, but he was on that night along with Travis Hafner (2HR, 5RBI) and the Sox got trounced 8-0.
Hey, I was at that game too. I never would have thought it would have been such a blowout the other direction. I remember the Sox lost in extra inning versus the Twinkies the next night. It was looking bleak for a little while there.

Bobbo35
02-02-2006, 03:26 PM
The third game at Wrigley (the only one of the three I attended), Sox going for the sweep. McCarthy pitches decently, leaves with a 2-1 lead. Vizcaino comes in and gives up a three-run HR to the immortal Jason Dubois.:angry: One of the many reasons I was glad to see Vizcaino leave.

Ya, I was there as well. I was bleeping vizcaino for a couple days as well.

pdimas
02-02-2006, 03:35 PM
Ya, I was there as well. I was bleeping vizcaino for a couple days as well.

I was there third base/left field side up almost all the way to the back. I was kind of excited to see McCarthy's first outing. I was definitely angry at Vizcaino but also the decision to put him in. I mean for cryin out loud if there were any pitcher the cubs would know the best out of anyone on our staff it would have to be him. He did come to us from the NL Central.

Iwritecode
02-02-2006, 03:38 PM
I have several but the one that stands out most right now is Aug 16th against Twinkies. Hermanson giving up a game tying homer to Michael Cuddy Duddley. Then sit in the bleachers through another agonizing 7 innings, only to lose.

I was on vacation in Minny that week. I couldn't wear any of the Sox stuff I'd brought. :(:

JUribe1989
02-02-2006, 03:39 PM
1. The Shingo game with 3 hr's by the Tribe in the 9th
2. Hermanson blows 9-7 lead in late September in KC
3. Oakland terrible umpires Wendelstedt game

chisoxfanatic
02-02-2006, 03:50 PM
The worst one I went to was the game that the D'backs absolutely slaughtered Contreras within the first few innings. The game was over at that point, the only offense was a Frank homerun. What a crappy game that was...

I was at that game too. The most grueling thing about being at that game was the annoying little 5-year old D-backs fan who was screaming in my ear 10 times an inning!

Scottiehaswheels
02-02-2006, 04:07 PM
Game before my Bday vs. Seattle... I paid some guy on stubhub 100something for 2 great seats and Willie ends the game getting thrown out trying to steal 2nd.... The play wasn't even close as he was out by about 5 ft... I was at those 2 games we blew the leads down in KC and those weren't fun either...

russ99
02-02-2006, 04:45 PM

That's my number 2 worst game, but I brought a large group from work, so we still had fun, despite the slaughter.

Number 1 by far was that Twins loss in 14 innings.

I was standing by the concourse in the left field corner for the Twins ninth hoping to get a leg up on the throng going to the CTA after a win, and bam, game tied. Ugh! back to my seat. The 10-12 Twins fans screaming their wussy player-name cheers in the back rows on the 3rd base side all through extra innings just added to the growing black cloud over my head.

I moved down right behind the plate for the last half inning after Adkins blew it, and up-close, Nathan's nasty stuff combined with Uribe's futile attempts at hitting the ball just put a steaming hot pile on the top of a tough night at the park.

kevin57
02-02-2006, 04:46 PM

There were plenty of games in August and September that could qualify as the "worst" but this game was the only one where I felt like someone had punched me in the stomach. I remember driving on Lake Shore Drive as Shingo was giving up one HR after another, screaming at the radio for Ozzie to take him out.

Thankfully, our closer situation worked out, but at that moment I wondered if Shingo would be another Billy Koch "experience." :o: :angry: :puking:

Pureone
02-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Freddy losing his 1 hitter to Minnesota... it hurt really bad, especially since he is my favorite player on the team.

DannyCaterFan
02-02-2006, 06:32 PM
The worst loss of the season for me was a couple of days before they clinched in Detroit. It was September 27th and the Sox were sending Brandon McCarthy to the mound with a slim 2 game lead over Cleveland. The Sox trailed 3-1 going into the 8th inning when with 1 out they loaded the bases and sent Geoff Blum in to pinch hit, He promptly hit into a double play ending what seemed like the 4th or 5th scoring threat of the game.
In the 9th, the Sox rallied once again and closed the gap to 3-2 when Paul Konerko singled in a run. Unfortunately, that was it and at the close of the game the pressure of those last few weeks got to me and I hurled my Tivo remote towards the family room wall, and I watched it explode into pieces.
I left the house and walked around the block for the next hour feeling like the Sox were doomed. When I got home I found out Cleveland had lost as well and we maintained that 2 game lead. Fortunately, the Sox won out from there and only lost 1 game thoughout the season and playoffs.
By the way, I have a brand new remote. :smile:

longshot7
02-02-2006, 06:34 PM
Yeah, can't believe I seen their only playoff loss. Figures. Maybe it was those dark clouds I was carrying around before the ALCS. Good thing I only had tickets for Game 1.

Yeah, that's the game for me - esp because I flew out from California for it, and it was the only home game I attended all year.

C-Dawg
02-02-2006, 07:14 PM
Are you talking about that ugly Saturday game on the 9th of July where Buehrle clearly didn't have it and we lost something like 10-2? I was at that game, and the only thing holding me there were the fireworks following the game. I was so :angry: walking back home that night!!!

That's the one! I was keeping score, and I think I finally lost interest and closed the scorecard in the 8th or 9th inning. I usually try and ride out even the bad games until the very end, but not this time...

thomas35forever
02-02-2006, 07:46 PM

I was at that game. That home run by Patterson was a fluke. Worst of all, it was upsetting to hear the Cubs fans cheering in our park.:whiner:

thomas35forever
02-02-2006, 07:50 PM
I'd have to go with Santana vs. McCarthy the second-to-last week or so. I beleieve the SOX we up 1-0 going into the eighth inning, and ended up losing.

That was killer, pushed the lead down to 1.5 games I think, and brought my personal attendence record to 2-9 for the year.

I was at that game too. Boy, I picked some bad games to go to this year. Actually, that was the game where the Sox had the bases loaded in the 9th with no outs and they couldn't bring anyone home to win the game and they ended up losing in the 11th or 12th.

thomas35forever
02-02-2006, 07:53 PM

That gets my vote. I was so mad that he could have had a no-hitter and that he lost the game on one pitch! WHY????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

RadioheadRocks
02-02-2006, 07:54 PM

I concur... the 16th inning fiasco, where you just KNEW we'd blow it when Jon Adkins came in to pitch.

EMel9281
02-02-2006, 09:04 PM

I concur with this one. Freddy pitched one helluva game and had the one mistake that cost him the game. The one had to be a solo shot, eh? Well, Jacques Strap got his 15 minutes...

gosox83
02-02-2006, 10:16 PM
That's my number 2 worst game, but I brought a large group from work, so we still had fun, despite the slaughter.

I was standing by the concourse in the left field corner for the Twins ninth hoping to get a leg up on the throng going to the CTA after a win, and bam, game tied. Ugh! back to my seat. The 10-12 Twins fans screaming their wussy player-name cheers in the back rows on the 3rd base side all through extra innings just added to the growing black cloud over my head.

I moved down right behind the plate for the last half inning after Adkins blew it, and up-close, Nathan's nasty stuff combined with Uribe's futile attempts at hitting the ball just put a steaming hot pile on the top of a tough night at the park.

I have to change mine to this game as well as I was there with the neighbor kid who was at only his second Sox game ever. The crowd was so into it during the whole game. The Sox were down most of the game, and then took the lead in the 8th, I believe on a HUGE double with runners on by Brian Anderson. Hermanson got the first out so fast, and then Cuddyer popped one up right by the dugout, just out of Konerko's reach. That would have been the second out. The next pitch was gone as soon as he made contact with it. I think Crede had a brutal game, coming up a lot in extra innings with the tying run at least in scoring position. He just couldn't come through.

To this day, that is the ONLY game I left early. Minnesota wouldn't stop scoring runs, and I was worried that the neighbor kid's mom was getting nervous about how late it was.

P.S.
I would have NEVER NEVER NEVER started this thread if they didn't win the World Series.

In some ways I am glad for those tough moments, because then the ultimate ending feels that much sweeter!!

y2j2785
02-02-2006, 10:38 PM
im gonna have to go with either the game against arizona that we lost by like 8 runs or the game against texas that we lost by like 8 runs

santo=dorf
02-02-2006, 10:52 PM
The first Sunday night game of the year was bad. The umpires kept giving more and more space off to plate to Santana by the inning, Torii Hunter was called safe stealing third even though his foot was touching Crede's the entire time, it started the whole "lack of killer instinct crap," and the Sox looked bad on national TV when everyone was doubting them. This was also the day that Dmitri Young said that the Division would come down to the Tigers and Indians. Harold Reynolds agreed but also threw in the Twins' name. :angry:

IMSASoxFan
02-02-2006, 11:48 PM
Hey, I was at that game too. I never would have thought it would have been such a blowout the other direction. I remember the Sox lost in extra inning versus the Twinkies the next night. It was looking bleak for a little while there.

Even as a TV viewer it was terrible! I was pumped from the Joe Crede game, only to tune in the next day to a black screen (Remember the "no signal"?) for several hours. Then when the game came on it was a huge blowout...

Rudy Law
02-03-2006, 02:09 AM
I thought this would be fun ONLY because we won the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP!!

Baseball is so cool how there are so many games, and during some of them your team looks like it couldn't beat the Bad News Bears, and then others it looks like they could sweep the World Series.

My question is, what game was the most heart breaking loss for you?

They lost 63 games in the regular season, so there are not as many to choose from, but explain what game (For you) was their worst loss.

Mine was September 19th vs. Cleveland.

We had a one run lead and Bad Bobby Jenks was in for the 8th I believe. There were runners on second and third, and Boone fought off a bunch of fastballs, and finally smacked one up the middle just past Uribe, scoring the go ahead run. This brought Cleveland even closer to the Sox and sent me into panic mode.

and then on October 26, 2005 at 11:05, the Sox in my book were forgiven for every loss ever suffered.

9/14 @K.C. Sox were up 9-5 and Hermanson blew the save in the ninth....Was the first time I really thought they were going to lose the Division.....

starboy0
02-03-2006, 05:51 AM
The Sep. 15th 7-5 loss to KC.

Had to travel to a meeting after school and was listening to the game slip away. The whole meeting I was preoccupied about that loss. Felt things might be unravelling.

C-Dawg
02-03-2006, 06:00 AM
P.S.
I would have NEVER NEVER NEVER started this thread if they didn't win the World Series.

In some ways I am glad for those tough moments, because then the ultimate ending feels that much sweeter!!

:smile: Heh heh, yes, its fun to go back and look at some of the "scares" we had! Kind of helps us appreciate the season as a whole.

Speaking of jinxes, over the past winter I bought a nice customized 1983 jersey, but the first couple games I wore it to the Sox lost in heartbreaking fashion, including a very cold, frustrating extra-inning game to Detroit in late April. I also wore it to the game where they blew the "held-a-lead-in-37-games" streak. As much as I liked the jersey, I had serious concerns about it possibly being a bad-luck thing. Karma, you know. Fortunately, I think after that, the jersey turned it around and the Sox won every time I wore it to the park (including such notable games as the AJ walkoff-HR against the Dodgers).

soxinem1
02-03-2006, 07:14 AM
I have to agree with this one. That game almost literally made me sick! We needed every win we could get to hold Cleveland off. We were in control of that game twice, but you just had the sense that we would keep blowing the leads. I was frustrated because Freddy just didn't have it, and the bullpen, IIRC, was no better. I remember Hawk yelling "MERCY" after the winning run for KC scored all the way from first base on a ball that Jermaine Dye let bounce away from him. What made it even worse is that one of my Cub fan friends e-mailed me the next morning and the text read "MERCY." Ouch!

Had that game happened in April, May or June, I probably wouldn't even remember it. The fact that it happened when the Sox were doing everything they could to keep Cleveland from passing them in the standings made it a brutal, brutal game to watch. I was seriously depressed after that one!

I triple that one. The Hermanson/Dye game with KC was one of the lamest games they played all year. I remember when KC got a couple on in the ninth Hawk saying something like 'I do not have a good feeling about this one', and his 'MERCY" call once they blew it. It was after this game the national media started it's 'I told ya so' crap.

But I don't know if any of you noticed this, but I noticed a lot of cub fans were going to Sox games wearing cub/Sox opponent shirt/hat combos. The Sox actually started playing better, and the Urinal Idiots began drifting away, especially after the verbal punishment they were getting from our faithful.

The last laugh was on all of those fans and their teams!
HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

SoxFan78
02-03-2006, 09:04 AM

OT: If there was one good thing to come from this game was that Boers and Bernstein pulled a clip from the TV feed of the game. It was when Adkins was in and blowing the game and you can hear one fan clearly over the mic.

"YOU SUCK ADKINS!!"

Everytime they played that clip the next day it brought a smile to my face.

Back on topic, the Sunday game vs. the Cubs and the game that Hermanson/Dye blew in KC were two losses that were hard on me.

chitown05
02-03-2006, 09:14 AM
After I got done screaming about the drop ball, I knew Manny was going to hit a home run on the very next pitch.

Yes, Crede ****ed up that play big time by trying to be a show boat, but Viz threw a ball that said "please hit me out into the bleachers" to Manny. So, they were both at fault.

There's no way that Crede was trying to show boat that foul pop. He overran the ball and then as he came back for it, it was right on him. He was forced to swipe at it, but he didn't show boat it...not his style.

Oh well, all in the past now...

caracascat
02-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Losing to the Cubs in the Prior v. Garland game. a lifeless and disappointing game. I hated hearing "at least you didn't beat us" for the rest of the season. Then again a World Series Championship took care of all of that

areilly
02-03-2006, 10:30 AM
I'm gonna go with 9/19. It was a Monday game and a night game, and I had organized a group of thirty-one friends and coworkers. This was towards the height of the Indians' run towards us...I'll never forget the bottom of the ninth.

Two on, two out.

"Now batting, the first baseman, number 14, Paaaaul Ko-NER-ko!"

Metallica comes on, and the crowd goes wild. Everyone in the place - Sox fan, Tribe fan, casual observer - was on their feet, screaming their guts out. The Cell was louder than ever had heard or would hear outside of ALDS game 2.

PAUL-IE!
PAUL-IE!
PAUL-IE!

Wickman on the mound going for save number 44. Winds back, ball one. Strike one. Strike two.

Wickman delivers...CRACK!

And Paulie sends the ball flying, flying...straight up into the air, landing gently in Ramon Vazquez' glove at second. Game over. Cleveland 7, Sox 5.

Cleveland GB: 2.5.

Beginning of the end? End of the beginning? At the time I was sure it was all over from here on out. If Jenks and Paulie couldn't save us, it didn't seem possible that anyone could. Luckily I was wrong.

Very wrong.
:cool:

fuzzy_patters
02-03-2006, 11:25 AM
My vote goes to the fiasco in Oakland. I still hate Hunter Wendelstedt.

The only cool thing about that game is that there will probably be a trivia question someday about who played shortstop and third base that day. The answer, of course, is Joe Crede and Chris Widger respectively. Jermaine Dye played short after Crede was ejected.

Fake Chet Lemon
02-03-2006, 01:16 PM
Game #1 of the ALCS. I have been to one playoff game in each Sox post-season starting with 1983. Every game was a loss, including being there for the JerryD game in 1983. I was finally going to break the streak playing against a worn-out Angels team. Ugggghhhhh!

(Game #2 of the World Series broke my streak in spectacular fashion though :bandance: :bandance: !!!)

flo-B-flo
02-03-2006, 03:57 PM

This game here. I STILL can't believe they blew this one. I broke one of ten remotes I broke during the season during this one.:angry: Wicked evil thoughts were going through my mind all night.

ChiSoxLifer
02-03-2006, 03:58 PM
The game on 10/26/05 was the worst - for millions of cubs fans.

sox1970
02-03-2006, 04:29 PM
The game on 10/26/05 was the worst - for millions of cubs fans.

The game on 10/16/05 probably didn't feel too good either. Visions of Bartman dancing in their heads.

ChiSoxLifer
02-03-2006, 04:44 PM
The game on 10/16/05 probably didn't feel too good either. Visions of Bartman dancing in their heads.

I was at that game. It was a beautiful thing.