PDA

View Full Version : What makes you most proud to be a Sox fan?

SOecks
02-01-2006, 09:23 PM
Aside from the obvious I mean (WS Championship). What I'm looking for are the little things that you enjoy about the Sox, the Cell, players, management or any other thing you can think of. Here's mine to start.

I love that no matter what game I go to at Sox Park, I can talk to anyone around me about what's going on in the game and they always know. Whether I'm in the center field concourse or getting a beer I can always just turn around and have a good baseball discussion with anyone and they know what they're talking about. What's yours?

SOXintheBURGH
02-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Being a part of this:

:churrosarmy:

bsblchik
02-01-2006, 09:31 PM
That no self-respecting Sox fan would throw a home run ball back on the field no matter how much we disliked the opposing team or player.

That Sox fans don't just accept it if our team has a bad game, month, season. We voice our opinion, and show our disapproval - because we follow what's going on on the field, and we care. (luckily this past year we didn't have to worry about too many bad games, months and certainly not a season)

I'll think of more, but those are some for starters!

chisoxfanatic
02-01-2006, 09:33 PM
Noone on our team has ever used sterioids or corked bats.

SOecks
02-01-2006, 09:43 PM

Was it 2002 or 2003 when all our guys wanted to "decline" the spring training steroid test so that it would register as a positive and then force MLB to require steroid testing. What a great move by an awesome organization.

LongLiveFisk
02-01-2006, 09:46 PM
White Sox fans are leaders, not followers. We love our team for reasons that are personal to us and us alone. We don't feel we have to be #1 in some dumb popularity contest or "loveable" in the eyes of the general (fickle)public.

Oh, and winning the title last year sure as hell didn't hurt either. :D:

chisoxfanatic
02-01-2006, 09:49 PM
Oh, and winning the title last year sure as hell didn't hurt either. :D:

I NEVER get tired of saying: "2005 World Series Champion Chicago White Sox!" :gulp:

SOecks
02-01-2006, 09:51 PM
The head of our team's marketing (Brooks) actually listens to what the fans want, asks for our opinions, and has a true interest in our enjoyment of the game. He's also had some great campaigns in his short tenure.

Brian26
02-01-2006, 09:57 PM
This is a really great question.

The thing that makes me most proud is how the franchise has finally accepted and embraced its past, instead of ignoring it's history. This has really come to fruition in the past three years or so.

It seemed like the Sox franchise in the 70s and 80s (and even the early 90s) was always in a constant state of re-inventing itself. In the early 70's, they switched to red pin-striped uniforms with an artificial turf infield. When Veeck came back, the floppy-collared uniforms were worn and the emphasis maybe wasn't always on the best product on the field. Then Reinsdorf and Einhorn bought the team and completely overhauled the franchise, from the scoreboard to the uniforms and tv announcers, and they talked about finally having a "first class organization." Throughout these eras, it always seemed like the Sox were embarrassed of their past.

All of a sudden, flash forward to 2003 or so...The opening montage on the scoreboard shows great highlights of past Sox teams throughout history. Walk around the park and you'll see people wearing every possible Sox hat or jersey that was ever worn. They brought back the "GO GO White Sox" fight song in 2005. Nancy still plays Steam like it was 1977. This is a team rooted in its history more than ever before. That's the way it should be, because baseball, like no other game, is made to link generations together.

I don't know if you get that at a San Diego Padres or Tampa Bay D-Rays game.

Chisox003
02-01-2006, 10:01 PM
Just something about this:
http://www.ticketstores.com/event/images/chicago_white_sox2.jpg
.....makes ya feel good

Even before the whole World Series, wire to wire thing (over rated as it is), White Sox baseball just fits. I really can't imagine supporting any other team, or any other sport for that matter, as I do the Sox and baseball.

I guess it's that undying support all of us have, as fans, that makes me proud (cheesy, I know, but it's true :redface: ) :gulp:

soxinem1
02-01-2006, 10:04 PM
I think it more an allegence to the team than anything else. As an interesting side note, when I was a kid, I found it very irritating when people flocked to something like it was the newest popular song. Shoes, shirts, bikes, family cars, etc. I just never liked the idea of following something just because it was the 'in' thing, unless I really truly liked it.

One of my first trips to a major league game was forced upon me by my Dad and his second wife, who I liked about as much as the cubs, which is nada on both counts. Gameday was cold and rainy, the place smelled like wizz, no one was there (maybe 7-8K), and was against the Pirates. The Bucs led by Willie Stargell, Rennie Stennett, and Manny Sanguillen slammed the cubs, and I sat rooting for Pittsburgh the whole day. Never forgot that day, it was terrible.

I bring that game up because Dad's 'mistake' (as my bros and I call her) kept harping about how her family always loved going to cub games, and how much fun everyone she talks to just loves The Urinal. And this was in the mid-70's. Sounds like today, huh?

But going to Comiskey was always an experience of the subliminal for me. Every game I ever went to just had me slide into a time machine, I could feel Ed Walsh, Sherm Lollar, Ray Schalk, Jimmie Dykes, and Kid Gleason among White Sox ledgends along with Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Joe Jackson, Ty Cobb, Cy Young and scores of the founding class of this great game right with me there, right on the same field of Eric Solderholm, Bill Melton, Carlos May, Harold Baines, Carlton Fisk and the hundreds of others who wore the majors best uniform. While I was always into every game, it seemed like the park had so much to say in its own little way.

I am personally proud of the many who kept their undying loyalty to the White Sox, even after watching many a team tease us with contention only to fall short, or drop the first game to a team with a 21-game losing streak, watch a .200 hitter drill a 3-run HR of Bobby Thigpen to lose a seemingly-wrapped up game, threaten repeatedly to move, to rebound and win a World Championship in glorious, convincing, and dominating fashion.

But even if the championship was not won, I would still wear my Sox shirts and hats like socks and undies, part of the normal wardrobe. And once something has attached itself to your heart like this team has, only White Sox fans can really feel the joy, pride, and kid-like enthusiasm I feel when I put that hat or shirt on and let the world know that The White Sox are the team I am proud to be devoted to, win or lose.

DenverSock
02-01-2006, 10:04 PM
I'm most proud of having chosen a team and remained a fan through thick and thin, never wavered but always followed them simply because they're mine. I didn't choose them because of a fad or a superstation. I chose them because I lived from whence they came, even if for a brief period. They broke my heart and I remained stead fast. At long last I've been rewarded.

:D::cool:

Andy T Clown
02-01-2006, 10:06 PM
This is a really great question.

The thing that makes me most proud is how the franchise has finally accepted and embraced its past, instead of ignoring it's history. This has really come to fruition in the past three years or so.

It seemed like the Sox franchise in the 70s and 80s (and even the early 90s) was always in a constant state of re-inventing itself. In the early 70's, they switched to red pin-striped uniforms with an artificial turf infield. When Veeck came back, the floppy-collared uniforms were worn and the emphasis maybe wasn't always on the best product on the field. Then Reinsdorf and Einhorn bought the team and completely overhauled the franchise, from the scoreboard to the uniforms and tv announcers, and they talked about finally having a "first class organization." Throughout these eras, it always seemed like the Sox were embarrassed of their past.

All of a sudden, flash forward to 2003 or so...The opening montage on the scoreboard shows great highlights of past Sox teams throughout history. Walk around the park and you'll see people wearing every possible Sox hat or jersey that was ever worn. They brought back the "GO GO White Sox" fight song in 2005. Nancy still plays Steam like it was 1977. This is a team rooted in its history more than ever before. That's the way it should be, because baseball, like no other game, is made to link generations together.

I don't know if you get that at a San Diego Padres or Tampa Bay D-Rays game.

Well said!:cool:

ChiSoxGirl
02-01-2006, 10:26 PM
I'm proud to be an individual- someone who doesn't follow what the others in this town do just because it's the "cool" thing to do. I've never been a follower (which probably explains why I was picked on so much in elementary and high school) and in the world of being a baseball fan, that's no exception for me.

I'm proud of the fact that I can go to a game stag and feel comfortable in my surroundings. I can go to Comiskey Park and be respected as a woman who sits there with her scorebook, pencil, and beer, and knows her stuff.

I'm proud that we have a faithful Sox Army/Core of the Core to belong to. Never in my life have I met people who feel the exact same way about a baseball team that I do and don't look down on me for it. Everyone I've met from WSI has the same feelings about being a Sox fan as I do- pride.

I proud to have Brooks Boyer as the head of our marketing department. How do you not love a guy who not only truly cares about the fans and their experience at the ballpark, but goes out of his way to put together events such as Core of the Core, and drinks with the fans in the Hyatt bar all night long?

I'm proud of the persona this organization has bestowed upon itself over the past few years. The "State of the Sox" is in the most positive position I've ever seen it in the 16 years I've been a fan. From the front office all the way down to the 25th man on the roster, each person in this organization feels the same way about it that the fans do. Everyone feels that same passion for the team that we do, and it shines through in their attitude. Everytime someone from the Sox says that the World Championship is about us or for us, I know they're being truthful and not just feeding me what I want to hear; it's genuine.

JohnBasedowYoda
02-01-2006, 10:35 PM
Some fans from other cities actually consider sox fans to be the "badass" baseball fans of chicago.

That's pretty tight.

chisoxgrl
02-01-2006, 10:46 PM
SoxFest was awesome! I miss the intimacy of last year, but I was happy for the guys! This team deserved the turnout they got. I know they know the true fans were there, and we know who we are! White Sox won the World Series and made our dreams come true, broke and set records doing it, so how can anyone complain? Go Sox 2006!! Pitchers and catchers report on February 17th and 59 days till opening day!

JohnBasedowYoda
02-01-2006, 10:53 PM
SoxFest was awesome! I miss the intimacy of last year, but I was happy for the guys! This team deserved the turnout they got. I know they know the true fans were there, and we know who we are! White Sox won the World Series and made our dreams come true, broke and set records doing it, so how can anyone complain? Go Sox 2006!! Pitchers and catchers report on February 17th and 59 days till opening day!

:welcome:

ChiSoxLifer
02-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Being part of an exclusive club. There's just not that many of us.:cool:

Jacob Nelson Fox
02-01-2006, 10:57 PM
Because Sox fans possess all the great attributes described today in this post and exhibited every day year round on the flyingsock: Knowledgeable, friendly, extremely humorous, loyal, and respectful of the traditions of the game of baseball and the Chicago White Sox franchise.

I was vacationing at Thanksgiving and struck up a conversation with a gentleman in a Sox hat at a street fair. As you can imagine, we had instant rapport, and we were able to insightfully and joyously discuss not only the 2005 championship season, but past seasons and players dating back into the 1950's. It will be interesting to see if the legions of new fans in 2006 will be able to assimilate the "Sox Fan DNA".

As I've said many a time over the years while enjoying a post-game brew at a Bridgeport tap: "Thank God I'm a South Sider!" :smile:

SouthSide_HitMen
02-01-2006, 11:08 PM

Past or present?

Jose Canseco - 2001 CWS, 76 G, 16 HR
Albert Belle (though he wasn't caught while playing on our team - just in our stadium)

Glad Marvin Benard and Mike Morse never made the team.

My reason - Harold Baines, Carlton Fisk, Mark Buehrle and other greats (and not so greats) who came to Chicago, gave it their all, and made the team and its fans very proud.

roylestillman
02-01-2006, 11:31 PM
Brian26 hit it right on the money. It was just in the last couple of years (and maybe because I'm just getting older) that these intro montages on the scoreboard make you sit back and think Cripe I've been through all of this-- 38 degrees against Toronto on a May night in '78, Claudell Washington, the Dibber in '83 -- how much of your life you've invested in this team and the payoff finally came.

You're proud of yourself for sticking with it.

IlliniSox4Life
02-02-2006, 12:27 AM
Frank Thomas - The Greatest Pure Hitter of this era.

Responsibility for one's actions (there's a curse of the Bambino, a curse of the Billy goat, but NO curse of the Black Sox even though if there was one thing to be cursed for, it would be that).

The Attitude (Win. Or Die Trying)

and of course, all of you guys and gals.

Parrothead
02-02-2006, 06:30 AM
Past or present?

Jose Canseco - 2001 CWS, 76 G, 16 HR
Albert Belle (though he wasn't caught while playing on our team - just in our stadium)

Glad Marvin Benard and Mike Morse never made the team.

My reason - Harold Baines, Carlton Fisk, Mark Buehrle and other greats (and not so greats) who came to Chicago, gave it their all, and made the team and its fans very proud.

Also, believe Olivio was caught corking in the minors.

Hitmen77
02-02-2006, 08:20 AM
I have always thought it took real character to be a Sox fan. Sure other teams had long championship droughts, but those teams (Flubs, BoSox) have a huge bandwagon of fans who are more interested in the team's popularity and have wrapped themselves in a bunch of curse mythology b.s. Sox fans have not only suffered through a long champ. drought, but did so while their team wasn't getting the time of day from their own hometown's media.

I also like the fact that when I meet another Sox fan, there is instant bond because I know the other person is a passionate, knowledgable fan.

Most of all, I am now proud that our team did it! They won the world series when everyone else said they weren't any good. They showed Chicago what being a baseball team is all about - not ivy and trendy bars and celebrity fans and being lovable losers- it's playing exciting baseball and winning.

Finally, I'm proud of how Sox fans reacted to the WS win. No looting or riots as happens in other cities. Yet, an overwhelming, energetic celebration nonetheless with an amazing turnout at the victory parade. :gulp:

salty99
02-02-2006, 09:25 AM
QUOTE: I don't know if you get that at a San Diego Padres or Tampa Bay D-Rays game.

Well of course not since they haven't been around for very long and who wants to go to a big warehouse to see a game anway.

Hangar18
02-02-2006, 09:47 AM
Sox Fans are the most Passionate. 20,000 of us sound like 40,000. But what makes me most Proud, to the point where I stand just a little bit taller (almost choking up but I control myself heh heh) is when Im traveling in other cities, and meet other SOX Fans. There we are, miles from home in alien environment and in just 1 second, I realize that this other guys just like me, Passionate, Intelligent about his baseball. Sox Fans are One And The Same, No matter where we are.

Sox83Kid
02-02-2006, 10:02 AM
I've always liked the "blue collar" aspect of the team, especially since it didn't go all out to look or play all "cute and cuddly." I saw a lot of "real people"--ordinary citizens that looked like anyone of our neighbors at home--in the stands having a ball. I went to my first game in 1984 :o: and remember my Dad being able to strike up conversations with absolute strangers about players past and present.

I feel even more proud every time a Cubs fan tells me, 'It's more exciting to go to games at U.S. Cellular, because the fans a really in to it." Makes my day every time!:D:

Kwrubac
02-02-2006, 10:18 AM
For Sox fans it's more than just a sport, it's a way of life. Many of us considering being a Sox fan as part of heritage past down from generation to generation, just like we consider ourselves german, polish, irish, etc. Something about that bond that makes it truly special to be a Sox fan through thick and thin. I can remember at the bar during the world series when they won there wasn't a dry eye in the house. It wasn't only the fact that the ultimate dream had been realized, but those who raised us to love this team might not be around anymore. The first thing we did after they won was a toast to all those Sox fans who weren't with us anymore. It's not just baseball, it's part of our way of life.

Baby Fisk
02-02-2006, 10:31 AM
As a faraway Sox fan, I am proud because:

- the team has deep roots in baseball, going back to its establishment in 1901 and even earlier with Charles Comiskey's legacy in the sport. The team has also been an innovator, especially in the Veeck era of exploding scoreboards, names on uniforms, throwback days, etc. I'm proud of our team's place in baseball.

- the team has always had star players who played the game RIGHT: Fox, Aparicio, Thomas, Ventura, Buehrle, Iguchi, etc etc... and of course, the great CARLTON FISK, who was not afraid to rip someone a new one if they didn't play the game right (I'm lookin at you, Deion Sanders). I'm proud of our constellation of stars.

- Sox diehard fans are smart, classy and very much unlike the stereotype that others portray. Every Sox fan I've ever met in Chicago or in Canada has known A LOT about the team and the sport. I'm proud to be part of a small group of INTELLIGENT AND PASSIONATE fans, than part of a bewildered herd.

- the team has its own unique legacy of baseball uniforms. No other team has had the dizzying array of uniform changes that the Sox have. Every era has its own look, and I love that. Today I'm proud that the Sox have among the most awesome uniforms in baseball and hope they keep them for a long time.

(new addition after 10/26/05)
- the Sox are World Champions and at the forefront of MLB right now. I'm proud that other teams are starting to acknowledge and emulate Ken Williams's winning formula.

I love you White Sox. Long may you reign. :bandance:

MarySwiss
02-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Reading through this thread alone is enough to make a Sox fan proud. But I think the thing I am proudest of is that I have never felt the need to apologize to anyone for anything related to my team.

Just think about the history, the great (and not-so-great) players, Frank Thomas standing tall during the steroid hearings, WSI and the "us-against-the world" attitude that makes Sox fans unique, the atmosphere at the games, the kickass food that is a Comiskey tradition, the patio parties, the terrific 2005 season and how it ended, and what we have to look forward to.

And if that's not enough, get out the "Dedicated To..." book and open it to any page.

chi_guy
02-02-2006, 11:24 AM
For me it's the fact that we have a World Series ring before the Cubs.

kevin57
02-02-2006, 02:02 PM
1. The history and tradition of our team which we have in abundance even though we are not referred to as "fabled" or "storied."

2. Fans who are loyal but not gullible, knowledgable but not arrogant, united but not lemmings.

Red Barchetta
02-04-2006, 09:46 AM
Although I am very proud of our rich tradition, I was embarrased by some of the uniforms and cheesy promotions that occurred during the 70s and 80s. Although they all became part of our storied history, I think they gave us an unnecessary second-class image for Chicago.

That all changed IMO when the SOX unveiled their new (current) uniforms. I was never a big fan of the 70s/80s pajama-style or early 80s softball uniforms. I tend to be more of a traditionalist when it comes to uniforms and always liked the Yankees, Tigers and Dodgers. That all changed in 1990 when the SOX organization unveiled what IMO are the best uniforms not only in SOX history but baseball history.

Our "new" look is timeless and classic. The Old English logo has always been my favorite and I hope they keep the current unis for a long, long time.

I remember my Cubs-fan brother-in-law even commenting back in 1990 that the new SOX uniforms were very cool. The only thing baseball-related we ever agreed about. :D:

As a result, I wear my SOX gear with pride. I didn't think the uniforms and gear could ever be improved, however those World Series Champions patches have done the trick!

The Critic
02-04-2006, 10:40 AM
One thing I really like is the emphasis on obtaining "quality people" and the emphasis on the team concept. ( YEAH, I realize that guys like Carl and AJ were considered "problems" at other stops, but I really believe that KW and the staff do their research and speak with the guys to get a true feel for their personalities )
The best part about the 2005 season was the feeling that everyone in that dugout was pulling for each other to succeed. No egos, no exclusion, all oars in the water.
Win as a team, lose as a team.....scratch that "lose" part - WIN as a team! :D: