PDA

View Full Version : this explains why Trib selling bricks

Fenway
02-01-2006, 07:58 PM
CHICAGO --Fourth-quarter earnings tumbled 38 percent at Tribune Co. as the owner of newspapers and TV stations took a hit from severance charges, the shutdown of a production plant and declining circulation. Tribune's stock dipped to a six-year low.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/connecticut/articles/2006/02/01/tribune_profit_tumbles_38_percent_stock_hits_6_yea r_low/

SOXPHILE
02-01-2006, 11:09 PM
:knue :morrisey
"There is nothing to see here. Please move along. There is absolutely nothing to see here.....!"

Fenway
02-01-2006, 11:49 PM
:knue :morrisey
"There is nothing to see here. Please move along. There is absolutely nothing to see here.....!"

buying Times-Mirror is going to sink the Tribune

I wouldn't be shocked to see Cubs/Wrigley hit the market soon

SOXintheBURGH
02-02-2006, 12:58 AM

I wouldn't be shocked to see Cubs/Wrigley hit the market soon

:dollarbill:

I hear those Cubs fan love to drink and enjoy watching perpetual failure!

The Critic
02-02-2006, 08:19 AM
:dollarbill:

I hear those Cubs fan love to drink and enjoy watching perpetual failure!
Oh my God, even I would feel bad for Cub fans if HE bought the team!!!
MINIMUM 250 years without a World Series if the Wirtz family owned them.
The biggest benefit for Sox fans? Cubbie home games taken OFF television!!!
"...It's not fair to the season reservation holders....."

Hangar18
02-02-2006, 08:40 AM
CHICAGO --Fourth-quarter earnings tumbled 38 percent at Tribune Co. as the owner of newspapers and TV stations took a hit from severance charges, the shutdown of a production plant and declining circulation. Tribune's stock dipped to a six-year low.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/connecticut/articles/2006/02/01/tribune_profit_tumbles_38_percent_stock_hits_6_yea r_low/

But Old Roman says its all going to Charity ........

:lynch&mcfail "Ye$, that$ right. It$ very important that we $ell the$e Brick$ so that we can $tay Competitive"

:knue " And I'll make sure that we tell the world were selling bricks from the old wall.......er, I mean were selling Bricks for the area we Land-Grabbed. Its Historic!"

Ol' No. 2
02-02-2006, 10:18 AM

I wouldn't be shocked to see Cubs/Wrigley hit the market soonI've been thinking the same thing. They're also looking at massive reconstruction costs in the near future. The concrete isn't going to heal itself. If the sheep stop turning out in massive numbers, they may decide they've gotten all the cash they can out of this cow and decide to bail out.

Fenway
02-02-2006, 10:41 AM
I've been thinking the same thing. They're also looking at massive reconstruction costs in the near future. The concrete isn't going to heal itself. If the sheep stop turning out in massive numbers, they may decide they've gotten all the cash they can out of this cow and decide to bail out.

I think the day will come sooner than later that you will see WGN radio on the block as well. While it is still Chicago's highest billing station it is also a dinosaur in the radio biz as it is the only radio station Tribune owns. In this era of mega radio companies like Clear Channel and CBS this might be the time to cash out as AM market share will continue to shrink.

They are trying in New York to make Newsday into a city paper as well as Long Island and are failing as badly as Times-Mirror did 15 years ago. They have made major cutbacks at the LA Times as well but can get away with it as there is no major second LA paper.

You have unhappy stockholders at Tribune right now and that usually means change. It could get interesting.

Iwritecode
02-02-2006, 10:50 AM
Obviously our boycott is working.

:)

IlliniSox4Life
02-02-2006, 03:24 PM
Newspaper companies in general are not ready for the internet revolution. They, including the Tribune, continue to push their content without realizing that people will no longer take it. The future is in pull based media where people go and get the content they want. That is why you see some people on the internet who hardly do any advertising with massive amounts of readers. Until they stop pushing the same old ideas in their newspapers (and websites), they will continue to fall. I think the first newspaper to realize this and change their ways will be huge, however, I don't think any of them will.

voodoochile
02-02-2006, 03:34 PM
Obviously our boycott is working.

:)

I haven't purchased a Trib in almost 2 years...:tongue: