PDA

View Full Version : AL East preview from MLB.com

Baby Fisk
02-01-2006, 04:49 PM
The year of the Jays? linky (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article_perspectives.jsp?ymd=20060131&content_id=1304062&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp)

MUsoxfan
02-01-2006, 04:54 PM
The favorite
Blue Jays http://www.mlb.com/images/logos/38x45/tor_38x45.gif
And speaking of static, this appraisal should generate plenty. This is how we see things stacking up before the first pickoff drill or blister, all subject to Spring Training developments. But, really, general manager J.P. Ricciardi's offseason could have served as a pilot for "The Swan II." He nailed down the corners of the infield (Troy Glaus, Lyle Overbay), got another rotation stud to watch Halladay's back (Burnett) and added a top-notch closer (B.J. Ryan). If we're talking paper, this is a team to beat. Image, it's all the other two guys. Field? Ah, we shall see.
Projected regular-season finish: AL East champions

I didn't think I'd see anything like this written for a few more years. I hope it's true

Fenway
02-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Manny Ramirez, his trade requests having fallen on deaf ears, will lock himself in a Rogers Centre toilet on April 23 following the finale of a Boston series against the Blue Jays, and seek political asylum in Canada.

:roflmao:

I see the Red Sox have signed his drinking partner

Outfielder Gabe Kapler and infielder Enrique Wilson are the veterans who headline the group that also includes catcher Ken Huckaby, utilityman Willie Harris, middle-infield prospect Dustin Pedroia and outfielder Dustan Mohr.

1951Campbell
02-01-2006, 09:05 PM
Manny Ramirez, his trade requests having fallen on deaf ears, will lock himself in a Rogers Centre toilet on April 23 following the finale of a Boston series against the Blue Jays, and seek political asylum in Canada.

Manny being Manny, eh? :D:

1951Campbell
02-01-2006, 09:07 PM
Meanwhile, the Jays team two guys with the lowest starters ERA in the division last year (Josh Towers and Gustavo Chacin) with Roy Halladay and A.J. Burnett. So how far can a tough rotation and a low-profile but creative lineup go? Let's ask the Chicago White Sox.

Damn skippy.

Sox-o-matic
02-01-2006, 09:56 PM
3) Last season -- before they had Glaus or Overbay or Ryan -- the Blue Jays lost 44 games by one or two runs and blew 21 saves.

Wow!

If they cut that number in half they have a great shot at taking that division, but they really have their work cut out for them with the NY and Boston offenses. I still Toronto unseating anyone yet though because I really don't think Burnett and Ryan are going to be anything special up there.

Fenway
02-02-2006, 12:35 AM
from the Boston Herald

The Red Sox? They went 95-67 and qualified for the postseason, which was both a wildly deceiving number and a testament to their prolific offense.

And when the playoffs started, they got smoked.

Not so coincidentally, the Red Sox now have the look of a team more like the defending world champion Chicago White Sox, who unceremoniously ousted them from the postseason in October. If the Red Sox pitching staff can stay healthy, and that is an enormous, colossal and gargantuan if, the Sox will have a much deeper staff to go along with better defense up the middle. That means they should be equipped to win more low-scoring games than a year ago.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=123956

Baby Fisk
02-02-2006, 09:40 AM
Both that Boston Herald quote and the MLB.com article make references to other teams being assembled in the style of the White Sox. Keep up the good work, Kenny! Looks like a certain other style of assembling teams is going the way of the dinosaur...

:fobbgod:
"My ears are burning!"

:everett:
"Mine too!"

Ol' No. 2
02-02-2006, 10:32 AM
Both that Boston Herald quote and the MLB.com article make references to other teams being assembled in the style of the White Sox. Keep up the good work, Kenny! Looks like a certain other style of assembling teams is going the way of the dinosaur...

:fobbgod:
"My ears are burning!"

:everett:
"Mine too!"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. One thing baseball does is to imitate what the previous season's winner did.

Hangar18
02-02-2006, 10:37 AM
The year of the Jays?

If the Black Jays change their dominant color back to Blue, look for good things from them ..........

Fenway
02-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Toronto should be better no doubt.

The Yankees are going to score a LOT of runs but their rotation is still an issue. Randy and Moose are another year older. You will see the Yankees in a lot of 10-8 games in 2006.

Boston? They too will score a lot of runs but they also have pitching questions. Schilling at least looks likes he is in shape and if he can be 80% of what he was in 2004 that is a plus. I am beginning to think they have told Wells he will not be traded so either retire or show up in Ft. Myers. My guess is Wells will not walk away from the $$$$.

The bullpen? Nobody knows what Keith Foulke will be like. They have this kid Hanson who looks like he can be a closer but I think he needs at least a year at AAA first.

Right now any of the 3 teams can win the division and all of them can also finish third. But if you have 3 good teams in the East it will knock down the total wins total and will make it very hard for the wild card to come from the East.

SOXintheBURGH
02-02-2006, 11:36 AM

The Yankees are going to score a LOT of runs but their rotation is still an issue. Randy and Moose are another year older. You will see the Yankees in a lot of 10-8 games in 2006.

Boston? They too will score a lot of runs but they also have pitching questions. Schilling at least looks likes he is in shape and if he can be 80% of what he was in 2004 that is a plus. I am beginning to think they have told Wells he will not be traded so either retire or show up in Ft. Myers. My guess is Wells will not walk away from the $$$$.

The bullpen? Nobody knows what Keith Foulke will be like. They have this kid Hanson who looks like he can be a closer but I think he needs at least a year at AAA first.

Right now any of the 3 teams can win the division and all of them can also finish third. But if you have 3 good teams in the East it will knock down the total wins total and will make it very hard for the wild card to come from the East.

Is Papelbon going into the rotation or bullpen?

1. Schilling
2. Whales
3. Beckett
4./5. Clement/Papelbon/Bronson/Wakefield?

Fenway
02-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Is Papelbon going into the rotation or bullpen?

1. Schilling
2. Whales
3. Beckett
4./5. Clement/Papelbon/Bronson/Wakefield?

Papelbon will probably be a starter. They are trying to move Clement

HomeFish
02-02-2006, 11:49 AM
I'm distrustful of any article which refers to AJ Burnett as a stud.

Also, BJ Ryan has 42 career saves.

palehozenychicty
02-02-2006, 01:20 PM
The Yankees will have a lot of fireworks this year. In the dugout, off the field, and on the field. Aaron Small will not save them this time.

Ol' No. 2
02-02-2006, 01:34 PM

Right now any of the 3 teams can win the division and all of them can also finish third. But if you have 3 good teams in the East it will knock down the total wins total and will make it very hard for the wild card to come from the East.Until last weekend I would have put money on the Indians winning the WC. I don't think they helped themselves with those trades, at least not for next year.

Rooney4Prez56
02-02-2006, 01:39 PM
I dont know if the Jays are the best in the East, but I'll be rootin for 'em to win it. Anything to see the Yanks and Red Sox lose it.

ondafarm
02-02-2006, 01:41 PM
I dont know if the Jays are the best in the East, but I'll be rootin for 'em to win it. Anything to see the Yanks and Red Sox lose it.

I concur 100%.