PDA

View Full Version : WBC Television plans

Fenway
02-01-2006, 02:31 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20060130&content_id=1303388&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

ESPN and ESPN2 will offer 16 live telecasts, highlighted by the ESPN telecast of the March 18 semifinal games and March 20 final game from San Diego's PETCO Park. ESPN Syndication will syndicate 14 games to a variety of English-language outlets. In addition to the aforementioned ESPN coverage, ESPN Deportes, ESPN's Spanish-language network in the U.S., will be the only domestic network to televise all 39 games of the inaugural tournament. ESPN Radio will air the semifinals and final

depy48
02-01-2006, 02:33 PM
I'd rather watch spring training games....

Fenway
02-01-2006, 02:39 PM
This is the best roster shuffle yet

Starter Dan Haren is listed on the Dutch roster, prompting Macha to ask, "Has he ever been there (the Netherlands)?''
The answer is no. Haren has no idea how he wound up on the Dutch roster and said he's certain he's not eligible, because his father is 100 percent Irish and his mother 100 percent Mexican.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/01/27/SPG55GTKVG1.DTL

Madvora
02-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Guess what... I can 't wait.
Isn't there anyone else out there that is insterested in this tournament? It seems like there's been nothing but whining about how much people hate this thing on this board.

SOXintheBURGH
02-01-2006, 02:50 PM
Guess what... I can 't wait.
Isn't there anyone else out there that is insterested in this tournament? It seems like there's been nothing but whining about how much people hate this thing on this board.

I'm excited to watch some baseball with a lot of great players. I just hope no one gets hurt and the thing actually ends up being cool. I'm going to watch as many games as I can! But, at the same time, I can't wait for it to be over.

Madvora
02-01-2006, 02:55 PM
I'm excited to watch some baseball with a lot of great players. I just hope no one gets hurt and the thing actually ends up being cool. I'm going to watch as many games as I can! But, at the same time, I can't wait for it to be over.
When I originally heard about Barry Bonds and Alex Rodriguez (when the idea was first announced) being on the US team, I was disappointed. I would be more interested in watching the Japanese team or something like that.
I'd like to actually have some rooting interest in my country's team.

SOXintheBURGH
02-01-2006, 02:57 PM
When I originally heard about Barry Bonds and Alex Rodriguez (when the idea was first announced) being on the US team, I was disappointedt. I would be more interested in watching the Japanese team or something like that.
I'd like to actually have some rooting interest in my country's team.

Exactly. Would love to see Japan vs. Puerto Rico or Cuba. I think it's going to rock. Hell, I watch the Little League World Series and used to go up to Williamsport to check out the foreign teams to see how the kids around the world are progressing. Who knew they played baseball in Poland and Russia so well? (Well.. good enough to get the slaughter rule invoked against Guam :redface: )

Lip Man 1
02-01-2006, 05:11 PM
The WBC...

Yawn.....

ZZZZ.....

Who cares?

All Sox fans care about is that their players don't get hurt or get tired in September because of this farce costing a playoff spot.

And I don't blame them.

Lip

34 Inch Stick
02-01-2006, 05:11 PM
It will be a good break during the NCAA Tournament during the 5-6:30 hour(s). Normally I get stuck watching the news when I should be enjoying more hours of my full 12 hour tantric sportsgasm.

Milw
02-01-2006, 05:54 PM
The WBC...

Yawn.....

ZZZZ.....

Who cares?

Lots of folks. Newsflash: Just because you're not interested in something doesn't mean nobody else is.

Don't like it? Don't watch.

longshot7
02-01-2006, 06:25 PM
The WBC...

Yawn.....

ZZZZ.....

Who cares?

All Sox fans care about is that their players don't get hurt or get tired in September because of this farce costing a playoff spot.

And I don't blame them.

Lip

Blah blah blah.......... same ol' stuff.

I'm excited for it, and might be going to the Anaheim games.

Taliesinrk
02-01-2006, 09:48 PM
Blah blah blah.......... same ol' stuff.

I'm excited for it, and might be going to the Anaheim games.

Count me in.. I'm pumped.. I'll be on spring break with my baseball team in florida. We play a lot of games in the morning and then have late days off.. therefore, I'll be glued to the television.. GO U.S.A.

Lip Man 1
02-02-2006, 01:13 AM
We'll see how you all feel if one of the Sox pitchers go down. Let's put it this way....Williams himself is concerned about it.

It's bad enough the All Star Popularity Contest Game is a farce, now this....baseball continues to embarass itself under Proud To Be Your Bud.

Lip

StockdaleForVeep
02-02-2006, 03:59 AM
We'll see how you all feel if one of the Sox pitchers go down. Let's put it this way....Williams himself is concerned about it.

It's bad enough the All Star Popularity Contest Game is a farce, now this....baseball continues to embarass itself under Proud To Be Your Bud.

Lip

A player can get hurt in spring training or even in his hotel room. Accidents and injuries happen, only way to keep them safe till season starts is to wrap them in bubble wrap. Hell, the chicago rush kicker hurt himself and he was simply warming up before the game. If anythin, wbc will be an addition to spring training.

asboog
02-02-2006, 04:22 AM
All I know is that it is baseball and it is going to be televised so I there is 99% chance I will catch at least one game if not more. Yeah it is a publicity stunt but who cares it is baseball.:D:

SOXintheBURGH
02-02-2006, 11:31 AM
A player can get hurt in spring training or even in his hotel room. Accidents and injuries happen, only way to keep them safe till season starts is to wrap them in bubble wrap. Hell, the chicago rush kicker hurt himself and he was simply warming up before the game. If anythin, wbc will be an addition to spring training.

The Rockies had a rookie of the year candidate until he tripped down the stairs. You never know.

Domeshot17
02-02-2006, 02:22 PM
I think the problem is it might end up too much like the all star game. We watch it because it should be this amazing competition amongst the finest baseball players the world has to offer. However, What I fear we are going to get as a not yet game ready jeter going up the middle for a ball and not laying out because his body is not ready for it yet.

I think it has the potential to be a cool thing. The only other thing I fear, and Tim Hudson mentioned this when he pulled out today, is the pitching. If you think about it, about 2 weeks from the start of the WBC is when pitchers are splitting games and throwing 4 innings. Now you are asking them to be ready 2 weeks early and to be able to throw deep into games. We have 2 big inning eaters going, Freddy and Javier, and I fear they will not be taken out until the 8th or 9th.

But hey, thats why we have Kenny, who has already thought of this in November, and decided to Hold onto McCarthy (fingernails ***?)[ Originally said B-Mac and it came up as fingernails] and the other 5 so incase something happens, we still have the deepest rotation in baseball. I mean how sweet is that, one of our starting pitchers could lose an arm, and get replaced, and we are still deeper than anyone else. :D:

Railsplitter
02-03-2006, 10:33 AM
The fear about overworking pitchers is laughable. Have people forgotten about four man rotations? Nolan Ryan picthed enough innings in 1973 to strike out 383 batters and was active well beyond his 40th birthday. What about Cy Young's 511 wins? He couldn't have done that with being what is now called overworked.

Lip Man 1
02-03-2006, 12:37 PM
Railsplitter:

While I agree pitchers are babied far to much, the fact is that you can't take a guy who is used to maybe pitching 200 innings a year and then suddenly, overnight, expect him to toss 250 or 270 innings in a season.

That's an accident waiting to happen. It needs to be built up to over a period of time with a lot of regular throwing sessions like the 'old-timers' used to do and which is advocated today by guys like Leo Mazzone and Tommy John.

I've always said that if guys like Ryan and Wilbur Wood (and even Jack McDowell) could throw a ton of innings and complete a bunch of games then guys today who are better trained and physically in better shape should be able to do it as well....but wishing doesn't make it so. You can't just turn it on at will.

Lip

doogiec
02-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Railsplitter:

While I agree pitchers are babied far to much, the fact is that you can't take a guy who is used to maybe pitching 200 innings a year and then suddenly, overnight, expect him to toss 250 or 270 innings in a season.

That's an accident waiting to happen. It needs to be built up to over a period of time with a lot of regular throwing sessions like the 'old-timers' used to do and which is advocated today by guys like Leo Mazzone and Tommy John.

I've always said that if guys like Ryan and Wilbur Wood (and even Jack McDowell) could throw a ton of innings and complete a bunch of games then guys today who are better trained and physically in better shape should be able to do it as well....but wishing doesn't make it so. You can't just turn it on at will.

Lip

What am I mssing here? The maximum number of games any team can play is 8 (72 innings). The pitch count rules appear likely to limit most pitchers on the 13 man staff to 4 innings maybe three times in the tournament. White Sox starters were going 5 or 6 innings the week of March 14th last season. MB, for example, pitched 11.2 innings that week in two appearances that week. It seems that pitchers might actually throw a little less (granted with more pressure) than a typical two week period in spring training.

Am I misinterpreting the rules?