PDA

View Full Version : Hermanson update

gr8mexico
02-01-2006, 02:18 PM
Dustin Hermanson said he has been devoted this winter to a rehabilitation regimen designed to alleviate the lower-back problems that limited him throughout the second half of last season.
Hermanson resumed throwing three weeks ago and plans to start pitching off a mound within a couple of weeks. Since Bobby Jenks still has a great deal to prove in the durability department, a healthy Hermanson could resume picking up saves at some point during the season. Feb. 1 - 2:12 pm et
www.rotoworld.com (http://www.rotoworld.com)

Stoky44
02-01-2006, 02:23 PM
Since Bobby Jenks still has a great deal to prove in the durability department, a healthy Hermanson could resume picking up saves at some point during the season.[/COLOR] Feb. 1 - 2:12 pm et
www.rotoworld.com (http://www.rotoworld.com)

Durability? Has Bobby had many injuries in his career? I would think Bobby would have to prove in the consistency department.

Corlose 15
02-01-2006, 02:25 PM
I believe last year was Bobby's first year as a reliever. I think he spent all his time in the Angels organization as a starter so the question is how well he holds up under a full year of relief. I also believe he's got a screw in his elbow.

I think a healthy Hermanson is key to the pen this year. Politte and Hermanson provide a nice veteran backbone to the talented youngsters.

Tekijawa
02-01-2006, 02:28 PM
Durability? Has Bobby had many injuries in his career.

I think that there were a couple Alcohol related injuries but Marriage seems to have calmed him down... I seem to remember that he had surgery the year before the Sox picked him up too?

DaleJRFan
02-01-2006, 03:33 PM
I think that there were a couple Alcohol related injuries but Marriage seems to have calmed him down... I seem to remember that he had surgery the year before the Sox picked him up too?

I believe he had Tommy John surgery. Maybe others can clarify, but I coulda swore.....

salty99
02-01-2006, 03:41 PM
Bobby blew out his elbow with the Angels from throwing the ball so hard so I believe they put a permanent screw in there to hold it together.

eriqjaffe
02-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Could that be another Grinder Rules ad? A close up of Bobby's elbow with an X-ray overlaying it showing the screw:

Grinder Rule #1,283,193:

Trying to hit a Bobby Jenks fastball? You're screwed.

SoxFan76
02-01-2006, 04:20 PM
Jenks showed signs of fatigue when pitching 2 nights in a row. He'd lose like 4mph off his fastball and had to rely on his curve. His curve is his best pitch, but like most pitchers, your breaking stuff won't always be on. So he's left with a measly 95-96mph fastball.

ondafarm
02-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Jenks showed signs of fatigue when pitching 2 nights in a row. He'd lose like 4mph off his fastball and had to rely on his curve. His curve is his best pitch, but like most pitchers, your breaking stuff won't always be on. So he's left with a measly 95-96mph fastball.

Don't you just hate nights like that !!!!!

Actually, as a big, power guy, Jenks fits very well in the classic closer role of a fireballer. The big muscles you use to throw that hard get better with virtually daily usage. The finer muscle you use to throw most breaking stuff or the straight change will fatigue in daily usage and those pitches will not be effective in a second day function, hard pitches will be effective. Hard pitches include fastball, splitter, slider, circle change.

Chip Z'nuff
02-01-2006, 05:49 PM
Unfortunately because of Jenks' surgery he only has about 2 good years before everything comes apart. That is one of the reasons he was being used aggressively in 05. Enjoy Bobby while you can.

Ol' No. 2
02-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Unfortunately because of Jenks' surgery he only has about 2 good years before everything comes apart. That is one of the reasons he was being used aggressively in 05. Enjoy Bobby while you can.Doctor Andrews???

Hangar18
02-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Unfortunately because of Jenks' surgery he only has about 2 good years before everything comes apart. That is one of the reasons he was being used aggressively in 05. Enjoy Bobby while you can.

I remember that band. They were from the south side too if I recall.
As for the earlier post about Jenks losing a couple mph off the heater on the 2nd day in a row, he simply needs to Learn to Locate His Pitches.
A well placed 95mph heater is just as good a weapon as a 100mph bullet down the middle

VA_GoGoSox
02-01-2006, 06:09 PM

This is why a healthy Hermanson would be so huge for us. When Bobby pitched on no rest last year, he definitely lost a little velocity. If those two are both healthy and can split closer duties it would mean opponents would only see the 99-100mph Bobby instead of the 94-95mph Bobby.

Man, I would hate to go against our pitching staff!

JohnBasedowYoda
02-01-2006, 06:44 PM
Could that be another Grinder Rules ad? A close up of Bobby's elbow with an X-ray overlaying it showing the screw:

Grinder Rule #1,283,193:

Trying to hit a Bobby Jenks fastball? You're screwed.

Forward that to that Two by Four dude, pretty good.

gr8mexico
02-01-2006, 06:56 PM
I think Bobby would be able to play more then 2 years. You guys have to remember Jenks never played H.S ball . Then when he joined the Angels they wanted him to be a starter and worked the crap out of him he wasn't ready for that. Why are we worried about our closer we wont need them with the great offense we have this year:tongue:

Chisox003
02-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Oh, oh me next, me next.....

What do you see in Frank Thomas' future in Oakland? Will he ever play a full season again, and if so, what will his numbers look like??

:rolleyes:

FarWestChicago
02-01-2006, 07:18 PM
Unfortunately because of Jenks' surgery he only has about 2 good years before everything comes apart. That is one of the reasons he was being used aggressively in 05. Enjoy Bobby while you can.:cleo

Palehose13
02-01-2006, 07:52 PM
Hey West...

Didn't Miss Cleo predict that Dye would be an injury waiting to happen also?

Fake Chet Lemon
02-02-2006, 02:23 PM

Hummmmmm, 11 total posts thus far and none totally overboard on the Sox yet. Dare we say the "T" word yet? Stay tuned.

Fake Chet Lemon
02-02-2006, 02:29 PM
Hey West...

Didn't Miss Cleo predict that Dye would be an injury waiting to happen also?

I see your point, but that's borderline. I was saying with that thread don't be shocked if he slips this year, but my main point is our outfield would be very weak without him. Dye is my key guy for 2006 on this team because of that.

My point was not to predict doom and gloom for Dye, rather I wanted to point out his importance to our team. I think his importance is a little under the radar to everyone.