PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR: Michaels to NBC Sunday Night Football

Fenway
02-01-2006, 11:43 AM
It is looking more and more as though Al Michaels will not do Monday Night next year for ESPN but join John Madden on NBC's FOOTBALL NIGHT IN AMERICA.

NBC has signed the MNF producer and director and most of ABC's tech crew that worked on MNF.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/col/braissman/

Kogs35
02-01-2006, 12:00 PM
it was only a matter of time before al relized his mistake. whats this going to cost al and nbc. what will espn want from nbc.

Fenway
02-01-2006, 12:03 PM
it was only a matter of time before al relized his mistake. whats this going to cost al and nbc. what will espn want from nbc.

well for starters I find it interesting that ESPN.com has a direct link on their home page to NBColympics.com

http://espn.go.com/

http://adsatt.espn.go.com/ad/sponsors/ESPN_Internet_Ventures/Jan_2006/espn-308x27-0001.gif

Kogs35
02-01-2006, 12:08 PM
i wonder if highlites to games so they could continue the blitz on espnews or something like that is what they would want. cbs and espn have a deal for highlites during the ncaa tourny for jay bilas

Fenway
02-01-2006, 12:22 PM
the whispers in Detroit is Michaels wants to continue doing Super Bowls and NBC also has the Olympics which he hasn't been a part of since 1988 in Calgary.

Personal level, Madden always spends time talking to us grunts in the truck about anything, Al doesn't even know we exist.

Most down to earth talent hands down is Jim Nantz with Dick Enberg close behind.

At ABC Suzy Kolber is the best, she could have made Joe Namath's life a living hell but downplayed it.
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/football/_photos/2004-10-15-inside-namath-ko.jpg

Kogs35
02-01-2006, 12:27 PM
espn wont force him to stay because they wouldnt want to hold him to something if he wont give it his all. superbowls r much better than monday nightfootball

AZChiSoxFan
02-01-2006, 02:39 PM
the whispers in Detroit is Michaels wants to continue doing Super Bowls and NBC also has the Olympics which he hasn't been a part of since 1988 in Calgary.

Personal level, Madden always spends time talking to us grunts in the truck about anything, Al doesn't even know we exist.

Most down to earth talent hands down is Jim Nantz with Dick Enberg close behind.

At ABC Suzy Kolber is the best, she could have made Joe Namath's life a living hell but downplayed it.

I wonder if there is another factor at work for Michaels. A while back Fenway, you posted a thread about the possibility of NBC getting baseball back. I've always thought that Michaels' favorite sport was baseball. Even if Costas was the main guy, Al would still get to do some games.

I was just telling someone the other day how I totally respect Kolber for the fact that she didn't make a big deal about the Namath incident. Rather than crying about it, she chose to be the better person and simply took the high road.

kcsportscaster
02-01-2006, 03:49 PM

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/football/_photos/2004-10-15-inside-namath-ko.jpg

First off, I have a feeling that this thread will be moved to the Parking Lot since the topic isn't baseball related. I personally don't care either way if Al Michaels will be allowed to leave ABC/ESPN for NBC or not. I have never been a fan of him at all, primarily because of things I've read about his ego. Michaels forcing Boomer Esiason out of the ABC MNF booth a few years ago in favor of Dennis Miller was basically the last straw, and ever since then, I would mute the ABC audio and listen to the CBS Radio Sports/Westwood One broadcast whenever possible. ABC instituting that silly five second delay starting in the 2004 season has almost made that impossible. Hell, Michaels also may have been responsible for Lesley Visser's ouster a few years ago that led to Melissa Stark taking over the MNF sideline gig before she got pregnant and left for NBC a few years later.

Also, I, too, have tons of respect for Suzy Kolber, despite her irritating voice and her reporting style, especially after the incident with Namath when she downplayed the entire thing and even refused to comment on it publicly rather than blowing the entire story out of proportion. Sort of off topic, but related, you can also say the same about CBS' Bonnie Bernstein after the incident with Roy Williams after the 2003 NCAA Basketball Championship Game, where she tried to downplay the incident despite tons of know nothing radio and newspaper hacks ripping her for simply performing the toughest part of her job. Plus, not to spam, but she is launching a broadcast consulting company aimed at helping college students break into broadcasting as well as those of us who are already in the business who are looking for a better gig. Now, if that's not being down to Earth, I don't know what is.

Plus, I used to can't stand Jim Nantz at all, but in the past year have grown to actually enjoy listening to him. I also enjoy listening to Dick Enberg, and I am not surprised that both of them really seem to be down to Earth themselves from listening to them over the years.

Fenway, just what is it do you exactly do for network sports coverage, and who are your other favorites as far as talent goes other than Madden, Kolber, Nantz, and Enberg?

Tragg
02-01-2006, 05:59 PM
It's not politically correct to criticize Al Michaels; it's not PC to do anything other than lay plaudits upon him. Whenever there's an article written, there is an obligatory hail to the great one.

Yea, his call 26 years ago is memorable.

But in my opinion, he stinks. He's gone through color man after color man, and ABC keeps blaming the color man. You'd think they might consider that the PBP man is the problem.
If he would call the plays, I could put up with his whining, snivelling delivery. But he also insists on giving the commentary. After he's called the play, after he's given his commentary, then, if he allows it, then the color man can talk. Madden made Michaels tolerable because Madden had enough credibility in his own right that he didn't have to put up with Michaels' BS and didn't have to ask Michael's permission to speak.

As soon as he's off the air, the more enjoyable football will be.

Fenway
02-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Fenway, just what is it do you exactly do for network sports coverage, and who are your other favorites as far as talent goes other than Madden, Kolber, Nantz, and Enberg?

nothing major, just making sure the trucks get to where they supposed to be and that they then work at airtime :tongue:

Most of the talent are great people off the air way too many to name. Nicest people to work with by far is the entire cast of Hockey Night in Canada who do come into the States on occasion. Don Cherry really is a nice guy and after a game goes out with the crew for a few :gulp: ( same goes for Ron McClean )

Dick Vitale is a great guy as well and believe it or not is exactly the same off camera. Poor guy is a Devil Rays season ticket holder.

The absolute nicest talent to work with was Jim McKay.

The worst? Well you will be seeing him for about 2000 hours on NBC later this month.

TDog
02-02-2006, 12:36 AM
I didn't know they even bothered to play football on Sunday nights. I certainly didn't expect to see it discussed in What's the Score?

I thought I got lost and wandered into the Parking Lot.

Viva Medias B's
02-02-2006, 09:44 AM
nothing major, just making sure the trucks get to where they supposed to be and that they then work at airtime :tongue:

Most of the talent are great people off the air way too many to name. Nicest people to work with by far is the entire cast of Hockey Night in Canada who do come into the States on occasion. Don Cherry really is a nice guy and after a game goes out with the crew for a few :gulp: ( same goes for Ron McClean )

Dick Vitale is a great guy as well and believe it or not is exactly the same off camera. Poor guy is a Devil Rays season ticket holder.

The absolute nicest talent to work with was Jim McKay.

The worst? Well you will be seeing him for about 2000 hours on NBC later this month.

I would think Billy Packer would be the worst.