PDA

View Full Version : Baines HOF Candidate?

CHIsoxNation
02-01-2006, 10:29 AM
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/arvia/x01-ard1.htm

I know this was discussed in past threads about how Baines could be looked at as one of the best designated hitters of all time. This is a pretty decent piece from the Southtown explaining why he should be considered for the HOF.

my5thbench
02-01-2006, 01:02 PM
when I 1st saw this I thought not a chance, but then I read the article &
Phil Arvia makes a very convincing claim on Harold's behalf, I guess I've
changed my mind.......

if I had a ballot Horold's name would definitely be on it, thanks for the link

BainesHOF
02-01-2006, 01:20 PM
Baines should reach the Hall of Fame, but I don't trust the moronic judgement of sports writers. For any of them who don't want a DH to get in, they should remember that Baines was an excellent right fielder with a strong and accurate arm (he even played some center field early in his career) before knee surgeries forced him into the DH role. Not only do his offensive numbers make him a Hall of Famer, but the fact that he was one of the best clutch hitters in baseball history should make his induction a no-brainer for anyone who knows baseball.

jackbrohamer
02-01-2006, 01:40 PM
Baines will not get elected. But a friend once compared his career stats to Billy Williams' and they were very similar. Williams had the invalid reputation of being a good fielder.

34 Inch Stick
02-01-2006, 01:40 PM
I love Harold Baines. I think Harold in the HOF would signal a further debasing of the Hall's level of talent.

soxinem1
02-01-2006, 02:00 PM
I think Baines goes in. Even if all his numbers would have been accomplished in the OF he would rank up there comparatively.

I made the statement before that Baines only led in a couple seasonal categories in his career, never hit 30+ HR's or even scored 90+ runs, and fell just short of 3,000 hits. But the hit, RBI, BA, and even career HR totals are excellent for a DH or OF, and he was definitely pitched around considerably through most of the mid-late 80's.

It's close, but I say he goes in, especially if Perez, Bunning, and a few other questionables are HOF'ers.

That article should be sent to the HOF voters when Baines' time comes.

Ol' No. 2
02-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Baines will not get elected. But a friend once compared his career stats to Billy Williams' and they were very similar. Williams had the invalid reputation of being a good fielder.You also have to consider the era in which they played. Williams played most of his career in the 1960's, when the strike zone was larger, the mound was higher and pitching dominated. Directly comparing BA with someone who played in the 80's and 90's is misleading.

Sorry, I don't think Harold is HOF material.

Saracen
02-01-2006, 02:18 PM
Harold was my favorite player growing up, I idolized him, but sorry - I don't think he belongs. He played for 22 years yet doesn't have 3000 hits. I think the HOF should be a shrine for the greatest of the great players, and unfortunately Harold doesn't meet that criteria.

Corlose 15
02-01-2006, 02:31 PM
I think sadly with Harold( as well as Frank to an extent) becomes what if. How much better would Baines candidacy be if he had been able to play outfield for 20 years instead of just 7. I think he was an outstanding player but I think he has a major uphill climb because of the arrogance of the BBWA and the animosity towards the DH.

People need to realize that the DH is a sanctioned position like it or not and they need to stop penalizing people who play the position.

Chicken Dinner
02-01-2006, 02:34 PM
Seriously, no way.

A. Cavatica
02-01-2006, 04:00 PM
No. He certainly ranks below Jim Rice & Andre Dawson, to name two hitters from his era who have not made it.

If only he hadn't gotten hurt...

Nellie_Fox
02-01-2006, 04:21 PM
I always have to remind myself that it's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Impressive Career Statistics. It should be guys who will still be spoken with in reverent tones years from now, even by people who were not fans of their team. I'm afraid that Harold will be little remembered outside of the cities he played in.

Daver
02-01-2006, 04:29 PM
I always have to remind myself that it's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Impressive Career Statistics. It should be guys who will still be spoken with in reverent tones years from now, even by people who were not fans of their team. I'm afraid that Harold will be little remembered outside of the cities he played in.

With the politics involved in getting elected, and the myopic old men that make the final decision, I choose not to call it the Hall of Fame.

eriqjaffe
02-01-2006, 04:32 PM
It should be guys who will still be spoken with in reverent tones years from now, even by people who were not fans of their team.Like Ron Santo!

mccombe_35
02-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Nice article! Baines has the career totals to be in or at least borderline but I just don't think he was dominant enough.

Hey, can anybody help me out with this? I was looking to find out which team(s) gave up the most HRs to Baines. I can only find player splits that go back until 1987, leaving out the beginning of Baines career.

Any help? Thanks.

Railsplitter
02-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Baines has the career totals to be in or at least borderline but I just don't think he was dominant enough.

Agreed. A couple batting and home run titles here and there and I'd say yes for the Hall.