PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Rogers article on Ichiro

buehrle4cy05
01-31-2006, 05:20 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=rogers_phil&id=2313333

It's interesting how he said he was trying to put on a show for the fans instead of just get on for his teammates. IMO, he needs to get out of Seattle fast.

Baby Fisk
01-31-2006, 05:24 PM
Shortly after the end of last season, there were some reports in the Seattle press that Ichiro was disappointed in the lack of effort some of his teammates were showing. He's in a jam: Mariners management can't part with such a fan favourite, but they surround him with uninspired teammates. Maybe he can try for .400 this year, wins and losses be damned?

soxfan26
01-31-2006, 05:36 PM
IMO, he needs to get out of Seattle fast.

:KW
"I'm on it"

:)

CPditka
01-31-2006, 06:14 PM
I cant even comprehend what fair market value for Ichiro is.

CanBuehrleWait
01-31-2006, 06:36 PM
Fair Market: 12~14mill per or a top starter and some really good prospects. Seattle's perceived market value:

http://static.flickr.com/6/10480295_d060b59a41_m.jpgandhttp://www.tedwolfe.com/Gallery/ImagesForWeb/Field%20of%20Stars%20for%20Cover%20Page%20-%201.jpg?

SOXintheBURGH
01-31-2006, 07:39 PM
:KW
"I'm on it"

:)

"I don't wanna trade McCarthy for Ichiro. Pitching wins championships." :rolleyes:

Sox-o-matic
01-31-2006, 08:19 PM
Poor Ichiro. I know the guy is loaded and making millions no matter what, but in these days when an athlete (Ivan Rodrqiuez, Magglio) will go to a crappy team because they drop the most cash on the table and later the player complains, you have to feel for a guy who could make millions anywhere but just wants to win. The Mariners, even if they improve tremendously, are still in no place to catch Oakland or Anaheim or even contend for a close third with an improved Texas. By the time Ichiro's contract runs out the Mariners may be at best an 80 win team, but that isn't going to matter in that division.

I don't agree with Ichiro for not respecting his manager's decisions, but then again I do see where he is coming from. If there is any player that Hargrove should be worried about, slump or not, Ichiro is the last one. He should try preaching to his mess of catchers or maybe Adrian Beltre instead.

Stoky44
01-31-2006, 08:20 PM
"I don't wanna trade McCarthy for Ichiro. Pitching wins championships." :rolleyes:

Pitching does win championships, no teal needed.

A. Cavatica
01-31-2006, 08:22 PM

Contreras + Podsednik?

soxinem1
01-31-2006, 08:41 PM
Contreras + Podsednik?

Now I'd do that one in a second!!

SOXintheBURGH
01-31-2006, 10:25 PM
Pitching does win championships, no teal needed.

I would trade McCarthy for Ichiro without hesitation. Strangely, and sadly, a lot of folks here would not.

soxfan26
01-31-2006, 10:40 PM
I would trade McCarthy for Ichiro without hesitation.

No doubt.

Tragg
01-31-2006, 10:52 PM
Fair Market: 12~14mill per or a top starter and some really good prospects. Seattle's perceived market value:

Seattle would get that if a team would be assured they were getting that .400+ OBP from this 32 year old player. They won't get anything near that for the numbers he threw out there in 2003 or 2005. 10-15 homers, .350 OBP isn't worth a top starter much less a top starter plus top prospects.
As for the sun and the moon....dreamland.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-01-2006, 05:11 AM
IMO, he needs to get out of Seattle fast.

scotty pods, jose contreras, lance broadway, and cash for ichiro

HomeFish
02-01-2006, 10:52 AM
Poor Ichiro. I know the guy is loaded and making millions no matter what, but in these days when an athlete (Ivan Rodrqiuez, Magglio) will go to a crappy team because they drop the most cash on the table and later the player complains, you have to feel for a guy who could make millions anywhere but just wants to win. The Mariners, even if they improve tremendously, are still in no place to catch Oakland or Anaheim or even contend for a close third with an improved Texas. By the time Ichiro's contract runs out the Mariners may be at best an 80 win team, but that isn't going to matter in that division.

The Mariners were -not- a crappy team when Ichiro signed with them. We learned that the hard way the previous postseason, remember?

scottjanssens
02-01-2006, 01:15 PM
Ichiro isn't going anywhere before his contract is up. He brings in far too much revenue for the M's. The M's sell their TV rights in Japan solely because of Ichiro.

lumpyspun
02-01-2006, 11:39 PM
Ichiro isn't going anywhere before his contract is up. He brings in far too much revenue for the M's. The M's sell their TV rights in Japan solely because of Ichiro.

The M's are also owned by a Japanese conglomerate (Nintendo). No way they would ever let him go. Safeco is always packed and it's not b/c they have a good team. It's b/c they have a great right fielder.

Also, the report that was mentioned here that came out last year was later clarified. Ichiro said that alot was "lost in translation" during that interview and that he didn't mean alot of what was reported (granted, this could be a cop out).

scottjanssens
02-02-2006, 10:47 AM
I see you live in Seattle, Lumpy. I spent 5 years there, moving back home to Chicago in August of 2004. I don't think the typical baseball fan outside Seattle realizes how big the M's are in Japan. When MLB opened all-star voting in Japan in 2001 nearly every Mariners player won his position. I'm convinced that the numbers were fudged so that Ripkin defeated David Bell at 3B. Al Martin finished 8th in OF and Dan Wilson finished 2nd for Catchers!

Before every game I went to (and it was a lot, SAFECO has to be the best place I've ever seen a ballgame) there was always a Japanese reporter babe outside the park with a cameraman cunducting interviews with Japanese speaking fans.

Fake Chet Lemon
02-05-2006, 03:28 PM
Contreras, Iguchi and a top prospect OR Iguchi and McCarthy would be the price for Ichiro. Any trade with them for Ichiro would require Iguchi. The Asian fan base is huge for them.