PDA

View Full Version : Mets fans get the "Collectors' DVD" treatment

Baby Fisk
01-31-2006, 12:25 PM
The 1986 World Series is being released in a DVD Collectors' Edition: linky (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CRR39W/ref=cm_lm_fullview_prod_5/002-4438601-4760821?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130)

Included in the set is the monumental NLCS Game 6 16-inning marathon at the Astrodome.

It will be interesting to see which other WS will get a Collectors' Edition.

SOXintheBURGH
01-31-2006, 12:30 PM
Is the NYY vs. D-Bags WS part of the Yankee set? That was one of the better Series I ever saw in my lifetime.

Scottiehaswheels
01-31-2006, 12:42 PM
1908 Cubs? Did they even have film then? LOL Actually I can see the Diamondbacks/Angels/maybe some Big Red Machine from back in the day...

SouthSide_HitMen
01-31-2006, 12:55 PM
The 1986 World Series is being released in a DVD Collectors' Edition: linky (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CRR39W/ref=cm_lm_fullview_prod_5/002-4438601-4760821?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130)

Included in the set is the monumental NLCS Game 6 16-inning marathon at the Astrodome.

YES!!!!!

The Mets are my second favorite team and 1986 was as fun with much closer playoff games (don't get my wrong - I am happy the Sox destroyed their weak "competition").

Looks like I'll be getting two box sets this spring. :supernana: :supernana:

Fenway
01-31-2006, 01:09 PM

oh good just what the world needs more copies of Vin Scully saying
"So the winning run is at second base with two out. Three-and-two to Mookie Wilson. . . . A little roller up along first . . . behind the bag . . . it gets through Buckner! Here comes Knight! And the Mets win it!"

I'll pass

Baby Fisk
01-31-2006, 01:34 PM
oh good just what the world needs more copies of Vin Scully saying
"So the winning run is at second base with two out. Three-and-two to Mookie Wilson. . . . A little roller up along first . . . behind the bag . . . it gets through Buckner! Here comes Knight! And the Mets win it!"

I'll pass
That's when announcers were passionate about announcing important moments.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/63/Joe_Buck.jpg/180px-Joe_Buck.jpg
"The pitch from Lidge, Podsednik swings and it's a home run. Goodnight folks."

http://www.americansportscastersonline.com/images/tmac.jpg
"This! Can't! Be! Happening!"

Baby Fisk
01-31-2006, 01:39 PM
Looks like I'll be getting two box sets this spring.
This collection is very tempting (fellow Mets fan). It's cool that they are including NLCS Game 6 -- it must have been a day game because I remember playing sick so I could stay home and watch. By the 16th inning, my illness was miraculously cured and I was bouncing off the furniture. My mom was not impressed by the antics. :cool:

StockdaleForVeep
01-31-2006, 01:43 PM
Has there been a movie\dvd on the 62 mets? Just readin the book "cant anybody play this game" is like a gag reel in itself

Hell a player had to pay taxes on a boat he won from the team for a homerun contest and he lives about 100+ miles from water

Fenway
01-31-2006, 01:44 PM

I dunno this guy was kind of mellow back in 1951

"Hartung down the line at third, not taking any chances. Lockman without too big of a lead at second -- but he'll be running like the wind if Thomson hits one. Branca throws . . . There's a long drive! It's going to be, I believe . The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant! Bobby Thomson hits into the lower deck of the left field stands! The Giants win the pennant! And they're going crazy! They're going crazy! Oh, ho!" -- Russ Hodges, Giants play-by play broadcaster.

SOXintheBURGH
01-31-2006, 01:47 PM
I dunno this guy was kind of mellow back in 1951

"Hartung down the line at third, not taking any chances. Lockman without too big of a lead at second -- but he'll be running like the wind if Thomson hits one. Branca throws . . . There's a long drive! It's going to be, I believe . The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant! Bobby Thomson hits into the lower deck of the left field stands! The Giants win the pennant! And they're going crazy! They're going crazy! Oh, ho!" -- Russ Hodges, Giants play-by play broadcaster.

If you substitute "Giants" with "White Sox" I was doing the same thing up and down the stairs at my house and running into the streets of after Paulie stepped on first for the last out.

doublem23
01-31-2006, 01:57 PM
The 1993 and 1997 World Series were incredible, too.

Scottiehaswheels
01-31-2006, 01:59 PM
If they did have film back then... How about a 1906, 100 years later DVD?

jdm2662
01-31-2006, 02:22 PM
If they wanted to release great World Series of all time, they may want to consider the 1991 Series. Not sure how much interest it would generate, but it was the best series I've ever watched (other than this year's, of course. :D: )

TommyJohn
01-31-2006, 02:25 PM
Red Sox fan: Nooooo! How dare they? How dare they capitalize on our pain?
First that evil thing signs stuff with Mookie Wilson, now this? is there any
more torture you can do to us? Why not just call down the Ten Plagues of
Egypt upon us for good measure?
And you don't believe me that the thing is evil? Well consider this. It
happened in Game 6. The thing was Number 6. The final score was 6-5!!
Bill Buckner is the Antichrist!!! WAAAAHHH!!!!! End quote Red Sox fan.

Baby Fisk
01-31-2006, 02:29 PM
Red Sox fan: Nooooo! How dare they? How dare they capitalize on our pain?
First that evil thing signs stuff with Mookie Wilson, now this? is there any
more torture you can do to us? Why not just call down the Ten Plagues of
Egypt upon us for good measure?
And you don't believe me that the thing is evil? Well consider this. It
happened in Game 6. The thing was Number 6. The final score was 6-5!!
Bill Buckner is the Antichrist!!! WAAAAHHH!!!!! End quote Red Sox fan.
It's funny listening to Berman's call of Graffanino's error. It's like all the hopes and dreams of ESPN were dashed in that one tragic moment.

"OH NOOOOOOOO!"

SOXintheBURGH
01-31-2006, 02:32 PM
It's funny listening to Berman's call of Graffanino's error. It's like all the hopes and dreams of ESPN were dashed in that one tragic moment.

"OH NOOOOOOOO!"

It has clearly replaced Santo's "oh no!" as the greatest "Oh no!!" of all time.

Foulke You
01-31-2006, 03:07 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/63/Joe_Buck.jpg/180px-Joe_Buck.jpg

AMEN to that brother. They treated the Pods walkoff homer like they were delievering a eulogy. I lost a ton of respect for Joe Buck in how he called the ALCS and World Series. Just brutal. I never thought I would say this because I'm not terribly fond of the guy, but choosing from the pool of Fox broadcasters, Josh Lewin would have been a better choice for PBP than Joe Buck.

Fenway
01-31-2006, 03:13 PM

"OH NOOOOOOOO!"

Berman was simply upset because he suddenly understood whe was only doing 3 games this year :tongue:

SOXintheBURGH
01-31-2006, 03:20 PM
AMEN to that brother. They treated the Pods walkoff homer like they were delievering a eulogy. I lost a ton of respect for Joe Buck in how he called the ALCS and World Series. Just brutal. I never thought I would say this because I'm not terribly fond of the guy, but choosing from the pool of Fox broadcasters, Josh Lewin would have been a better choice for PBP than Joe Buck.

"And the Chicago White Sox have won the World Series."

Thanks, Joe. Way to wrap up the shining moment.:rolleyes:

Thankfully I was in a bar and couldn't hear anything. But the 4427038359 I have watched the last 3 outs on TiVo, he almost ruins it.

Fenway
01-31-2006, 03:36 PM
"And the Chicago White Sox have won the World Series."

Thanks, Joe. Way to wrap up the shining moment.:rolleyes:

Thankfully I was in a bar and couldn't hear anything. But the 4427038359 I have watched the last 3 outs on TiVo, he almost ruins it.

I think everybody in New England remembers the radio call, not Buck

“Swing and a ground ball, stabbed by Foulke. He has it. He underhands to first, and the Boston Red Sox are the world champions! For the first time in 86 years, the Red Sox have won baseball’s world championship! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?” Joe Castiglione WEEI-AM Boston

I have a bottle opener that has both that call and the one when they won Game 7 against the Yankees.

http://dev.buymusichere.net/images/bmh/BU/103-939647NEWBU.jpg

TommyJohn
01-31-2006, 06:15 PM

I also see a thing for the 1979 World Series. Obviously the folks at A&E have
stumbled on to something.

SOXintheBURGH
01-31-2006, 06:37 PM
I think everybody in New England remembers the radio call, not Buck

“Swing and a ground ball, stabbed by Foulke. He has it. He underhands to first, and the Boston Red Sox are the world champions! For the first time in 86 years, the Red Sox have won baseball’s world championship! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?” Joe Castiglione WEEI-AM Boston

I have a bottle opener that has both that call and the one when they won Game 7 against the Yankees.

http://dev.buymusichere.net/images/bmh/BU/103-939647NEWBU.jpg

I can guarentee everyone in these parts have Rooney's call memorized. I certainly do. I was in a bar so I couldn't get the radio call as it happened, though. But when I watch game 4 replays I have to deal with Buck. :(:

DaleJRFan
01-31-2006, 06:41 PM

Jeez, it wasn't that bad. I just went to worldseries.com and watched it again... Here's the exchange:

Podsednik hits one to deep right-center field, back at the waaaaall... this ball is gawn! Podsednik goes deep, his second home run of the post season... and the White Sox wins 7-6.

Brad Lidge has a new taste.

And that taste might be there now... Scott Podsednik had no home runs this season, none.

.... long pause ......

Unbelievable.

Ok, maybe you were right. Maybe it was that bad.

Brian26
01-31-2006, 09:39 PM

I don't have a problem with this at all. I think it's great for baseball. They should put out a few post-season collections every year.

TommyJohn
01-31-2006, 09:46 PM
I don't have a problem with this at all. I think it's great for baseball. They should put out a few post-season collections every year.

Agreed. I wouldn't mind seeing 1983 and 1993, despite the results. Of course,
it would probably have to be as a Oriole or Blue Jay set.

PKalltheway
01-31-2006, 11:22 PM
Living here in Cincinnati, I know most people here wouldn't mind getting a 1975 box set of the World Series with the Reds and Red Sox.

Baby Fisk
02-01-2006, 08:17 AM
The popularity of the 2004 collection must have sparked light bulbs in their heads. I wonder if 1959 might become available?

Fenway
02-01-2006, 09:00 AM
The popularity of the 2004 collection must have sparked light bulbs in their heads. I wonder if 1959 might become available?

problem is the actual game tapes before 1968 simply don't exist. The odd game survived on kinescope but back then nobody saw the value of taping a live event.

CBC is a little better as there are some complete games that exist as far back as 1959...I have a complete copy of Hockey Night in Canada from the 59 playoffs that has Bill Hewitt doing play by play and Foster doing color ( almost impossible to tell them apart )

The old ESSO ads are a scream as they dressed up an actor in a gas station uniform back in the Toronto studio. Also it proves that Hockey Night in Canada invented instant replay as they were using it diring the 1959 playoffs.

palehozenychicty
02-01-2006, 10:19 AM
If they wanted to release great World Series of all time, they may want to consider the 1991 Series. Not sure how much interest it would generate, but it was the best series I've ever watched (other than this year's, of course. :D: )

The 1991 series WAS incredible.

jdm2662
02-01-2006, 10:54 AM
The NBA released sets for the Bulls, Lakers and Celtics a couple of years ago, and it seemed to be a big hit. I know I got my Bulls set the day it came out. The MLB has caught on. DVDs are much easier to make, and really don't take very long to burn. This could be a trend if the box sets continue to be popular.

Tekijawa
02-01-2006, 10:59 AM
I can't wait until the '69 Met's DVD comes out... I know a lot of people who would be getting that one in their stockings!:cool:

PKalltheway
02-01-2006, 10:03 PM
problem is the actual game tapes before 1968 simply don't exist. The odd game survived on kinescope but back then nobody saw the value of taping a live event.
I have seen the 1952 World Series Games six and seven on ESPN Classic before when they were doing a tribute to Jackie Robinson. They are the actural television brodcasts. They are also available on MLB.com. Game seven of the 1965 World Series is also on MLB.com.

RadioheadRocks
02-01-2006, 10:24 PM

That whole post-season was literally amazing. Who could forget Dave Henderson going from being the goat of the ALCS to the hero within the span of three innings (with Bobby Grich hitting the home run that glanced off Hendu's glove then over the wall in the 6th inning, then coming back with two outs in the 9th and hitting the dramatic game-tying home run off Donnie Moore with 2 strikes on him). Add that to the already mentioned Mets-Astros series and of course the World Series and you have an entire post-season worthy of DVD box-set treatment.

TommyJohn
02-02-2006, 08:42 AM
That whole post-season was literally amazing. Who could forget Dave Henderson going from being the goat of the ALCS to the hero within the span of three innings (with Bobby Grich hitting the home run that glanced off Hendu's glove then over the wall in the 6th inning, then coming back with two outs in the 9th and hitting the dramatic game-tying home run off Donnie Moore with 2 strikes on him). Add that to the already mentioned Mets-Astros series and of course the World Series and you have an entire post-season worthy of DVD box-set treatment.

Game 5 of the 1986 ALCS was one of the most amazing playoff games
I've ever seen, and is my favorite postseason game that doesn't include
the White Sox. I was rooting for the Angels and was stunned when
Henderson hit the home run. Al Michaels had a great call: "To left field
and deep. And Downing looks up...and it's gone! UNBELIEVABLE!"

Fenway
02-02-2006, 08:49 AM
Game 5 of the 1986 ALCS was one of the most amazing playoff games
I've ever seen, and is my favorite postseason game that doesn't include
the White Sox. I was rooting for the Angels and was stunned when
Henderson hit the home run. Al Michaels had a great call: "To left field
and deep. And Downing looks up...and it's gone! UNBELIEVABLE!"

I will never forget the look on Gene Mauch's face

soxinem1
02-02-2006, 09:31 AM

You are quite right. Both LCS that year were great. Mike Scott was the NLCS MVP even though his team lost. That year was a pitch by pitch intensity rarely seen. Other than 1991 and of course 2005, that was one of the best post seasons in my lifetime.

PKalltheway
02-02-2006, 03:19 PM
Other than 1991 and of course 2005, that was one of the best post seasons in my lifetime.
Don't forget 2001!:cool:

TommyJohn
02-02-2006, 08:55 PM
I will never forget the look on Gene Mauch's face

I remember it too. It was the same look I had on my face. Seriously, he
looked as if someone had told him his best friend had died.

Game 6 of the 1986 NLCS was also one of the best ever postseason games.
The Astros had it, the Mets tied it then took the lead in extra innings, then
Billy Hatcher hit a bomb to tie it, then the Mets score 3 in the 16th and
needed all 3 runs as Houston scored twice in the 16th before going down.

Foulke You
02-02-2006, 09:45 PM
I can guarentee everyone in these parts have Rooney's call memorized. I certainly do. I was in a bar so I couldn't get the radio call as it happened, though. But when I watch game 4 replays I have to deal with Buck. :(:
I have the AL Pennant one pretty much memorized:

"The White Sox win the Pennant! They win the Pennant!! And they're going to the WORLD SERIES which starts this Saturday on the South Side!!!......WHOA BABY!!...CELEBRATE SOX FANS, CELEBRATE!!!"

I will miss Rooney:(:

Hitmen77
02-02-2006, 11:09 PM

:kneeslap: :kneeslap: :rolling: :rolling:

Lip Man 1
02-03-2006, 11:41 AM
Regarding the video collections, Fenway's point was that entire series are no longer available.

There are some games from some series before 1969 that remain (I've seen them myself including a game from the 68 Tigers/Cardinals series...) but to the best of my knowledge no one has anywhere entire series television video.

For example I've never seen a complete TV game from any game of the series of 67, or 66, or 64, or 63, or 62, or 61 for example.

Kind of hard to put together a 'boxed set' when the video no longer exist.

Lip

Fenway
02-03-2006, 11:49 AM
For example I've never seen a complete TV game from any game of the series of 67, or 66, or 64, or 63, or 62, or 61 for example.

Kind of hard to put together a 'boxed set' when the video no longer exist.

Lip

The only video that exists of the 67 Series is Julio Javier's hit in Game 2 that broke up a no hitter in the 8th inning and snippets of Game 6 and 7 that were shown on Huntley-Brinkley later the same day.

I "believe" the oldest complete game they have is from 1952 Yankees at Brooklyn
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/images/baseballs_best/52ws_gm6_ani.gif

TommyJohn
02-03-2006, 04:01 PM

I know that Games 1, 4 and 5 are available on audiotape; I own 1 and 5.
They are great to listen to, particularly Game 5, which was a 1-0 thriller.
The announcers were Mel Allen and Byrum Saam, and they were great.
They both got excited when either team did something but didn't scream
or carry on like the Fate of Western Civilization hinged on every pitch.
They also didn't feel the need to inject something like "Fox pops out. Holy
cow, what was he doing swinging at that? How horrible!" They didn't feel
the need to try and say something that they knew would make history.

Also, they mentioned the fact that the White Sox were in their first World
Series since 1919. The "Black Sox" Scandal was mentioned exactly zero
times, or 1,194,694 fewer times than it was mentioned in 2005. No curse
was ever suggested, either. When it comes to a few things, the Good Old
Days weren't so bad.