PDA

View Full Version : Most Over-Rated

WinningUgly!
01-05-2002, 06:48 PM
Who is the most over-rated hitter in each league?

My picks...
AL-Jermaine Dye
NL-Jeromy Burnitz

Spiff
01-05-2002, 06:55 PM
Derek Jeter and I woulda said McGwire but since he's retired, Preston Wilson.

ihatethecubs
01-05-2002, 07:32 PM
yes jeter for sure and in the NL i'll say moises alou!

czalgosz
01-05-2002, 08:00 PM
A year ago I would have said Carl Everett, but I don't think anyone thinks he's a great hitter anymore.

Rondell White is up there - he's never done anything, yet everyone seems to think he's a gift from god.

Cal Ripken was a perennial favorite for me for all-around most overrated, but he's gone now.

But my overall picks -

AL - David Bell
NL - Matt Williams

Daver
01-05-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Cal Ripken was a perennial favorite for me for all-around most overrated, but he's gone now.

I would have to disagree on that,he put up some numbers that could put him in the top twenty of all time at the SS position.I used to think he was overrated too,till I took a good look at his overall career numbers.

But then again what the hell do I know?

czalgosz
01-05-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by daver

I would have to disagree on that,he put up some numbers that could put him in the top twenty of all time at the SS position.I used to think he was overrated too,till I took a good look at his overall career numbers.

But then again what the hell do I know?

I don't want to get into this argument again - it seems that this is a major dividing point between baseball fans - whether or not Cal Ripken is a Hall-of-Famer.

Ripken was a solid ballplayer and a classy guy, but people always talk about him as if he was the second coming, and I just don't see it.

Daver
01-05-2002, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

Ripken was a solid ballplayer and a classy guy, but people always talk about him as if he was the second coming, and I just don't see it.

I didn't mean to imply he was the second coming,but by the numbers he is one of the best SS to play the game,that is all I was trying to say.
I was not trying to start an argument.

WinningUgly!
01-05-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by daver

I didn't mean to imply he was the second coming,but by the numbers he is one of the best SS to play the game,that is all I was trying to say.
I was not trying to start an argument.

In his prime he was among the greatest SS ever. In his last 5-8 seasons his offensive production dropped off along with his defensive ability, yet he continued to get voted on as an All Star starter every year over "more deserving" guys at both SS & 3B. People under-rate his overall career because of the way he was over-rated by his name & the streak during the end of his career. With the huge numbers being put up by today's SS, a lot of people forget that for years SS used to be automatic outs.

FarWestChicago
01-06-2002, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
With the huge numbers being put up by today's SS, a lot of people forget that for years SS used to be automatic outs. :hitless

I haven't forgotten.

Daver
01-06-2002, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
:hitless

I haven't forgotten.

Yeah,we know.

[daver hurls garbage as he is saying this]

MattSharp
01-06-2002, 02:18 AM
I don't think that Jeter is overratted. But I will agree with Alou, Burnitz, and Dye....

I also believe Sosa is maddly overrated.

NL - Greg Vaughn
AL - Bret Boone

kermittheefrog
01-06-2002, 02:30 AM
I don't think Dye's overrated, he's almost as good as Magglio and he actually gets the credit he deserves for it. My overrated picks are Raul Mondesi and Rey Ordonez. David Bell, Matt Williams and Tony Womack should get honorable mentions here because they are damn overrated too.

WinningUgly!
01-06-2002, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
My overrated picks are Raul Mondesi and Rey Ordonez. David Bell, Matt Williams and Tony Womack should get honorable mentions here because they are damn overrated too.

None of those guys are overrated...they're not even rated at all. All five guys are always either hurt or just flat out suck donkey! :D:

FarWestChicago
01-06-2002, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

None of those guys are overrated...they're not even rated at all. All five guys are always either hurt or just flat out suck donkey! :D: WU's got a point. Don't you have to be rated before you can be overrated? :smile: