PDA

View Full Version : 11-1 Playoff Run...how it all started

gosox83
01-31-2006, 10:47 AM
I thought a lot of you would not only remember this moment (in the playoffs), but also think this Q and A with Pods was interesting.

I remember being in the locker room of a middle school football team dressing in the coaches room getting ready to coach an 8th grade football game. Right before I had to go out and give my pre-game speech I was trying to listen to the first inning of Game 1 against Boston. The situation was this.

We just got out of the top of the inning unscathed and the crowd was extremely loud.

Pods was up and got hit by a pitch. Matt Clement came set, and set, and set, and then he stepped off. The crowd went absolutely bananas, like they would for a huge rbi base hit. Rooney commented something about Pods already bothering him. Not too much later in the inning he swiped thirds and scored on Konerko's grounder, and as you all know the 2005 Chicago White Sox made history, history. (I love that one)

At the Sunday seminar I asked Scott if he realized how important that play was to get Clement distracted early and if he noticed that the crowd cheered like they would a homerun when he made Clement step off.

He responded, "You know it was funny listening to the fans this year. It seemed like every time I got on first, and didn't swipe second in the first few pitches they were on me, like Scott what are you waiting for" "I really liked that and I knew that they knew my job was to get on and distract the pitchers" "So yeah, I did notice that moment and I think it did distract Clement, and you know what happened after that"

It was a cool answer, and a very suttle playoff baseball monent that only true knowledgable fans (White Sox fans) would have been aware of as it happen.

PROPS to our home crowd!!

GO SOX!!

WORLD CHAMPS!!

Hangar18
01-31-2006, 10:51 AM
It was a cool answer, and a very suttle playoff baseball monent that only true knowledgable fans (White Sox fans) would have been aware of as it happen.

PROPS to our home crowd!!

GO SOX!!

WORLD CHAMPS!!

Your right .....that was a good question. That was a game-within-game
moment and Pods came thru. The Fans played a big part .......all season.
White Sox fans just dont get the credit they deserve ..................

salty99
01-31-2006, 10:52 AM
I heard that question and thought it was one of the few good ones.

Hangar18
01-31-2006, 10:53 AM
But to tell you the truth.............our 11-1 run began when we wore the VESTS. The SOX basically ran the table once we wore them regularly.
really creepy sometimes when I think about that still ..................

TheOldRoman
01-31-2006, 01:00 PM
But to tell you the truth.............our 11-1 run began when we wore the VESTS. The SOX basically ran the table once we wore them regularly.
really creepy sometimes when I think about that still ..................
Hangar, they lost their last game in vests. They only won 2 playoff games wearing vests. Their last 8 victories came with sleeves on.

Hangar18
01-31-2006, 01:04 PM
Hangar, they lost their last game in vests. They only won 2 playoff games wearing vests. Their last 8 victories came with sleeves on.

" ..........our playoff run BEGAN, when we wore the vests"
I was implying that our RUN BEGAN when they wore the vests ...........
we lost game1 to the Angels, but at that point, the Mojo was planted.
We couldve wore the 77 uniforms it wouldnt have mattered. The Mojo Was Planted.

my5thbench
01-31-2006, 01:19 PM
early in the playoffs I heard an ESPN commentater remark that the Cell was

the loudest outdoor stadium he had ever been in, later on I heard someone

from Fox echo that remark....I thought that said alot about how great the

Sox crowds were

Hangar18
01-31-2006, 01:34 PM
early in the playoffs I heard an ESPN commentater remark that the Cell was

the loudest outdoor stadium he had ever been in, later on I heard someone

from Fox echo that remark....I thought that said alot about how great the

Sox crowds were

Later on though with the Rebroadcasts, note how FOX and ESPN made sure to DELETE those remarks

my5thbench
01-31-2006, 01:39 PM
no kidding?!! I didn't notice that...........

that's precious! thanks for the laugh Hangar

TheOldRoman
01-31-2006, 01:47 PM
Later on though with the Rebroadcasts, note how FOX and ESPN made sure to DELETE those remarks
I didn't see the rebroadcast of the ALDS, but in the World Series they did NOT delete Buck's comments on the "much maligned" park that really turned itself around and is now one of the loudest, best experiences in baseball.

FarWestChicago
01-31-2006, 01:50 PM
really creepy sometimes when I think about that still ..................http://www.oracleofottawa.org/TinRoom2.jpg

Hangar18
01-31-2006, 01:51 PM
I didn't see the rebroadcast of the ALDS, but in the World Series they did NOT delete Buck's comments on the "much maligned" park that really turned itself around and is now one of the loudest, best experiences in baseball.

oops. Teal

gosox83
01-31-2006, 02:51 PM
Imagine if the same thing happened at wrigley.

How many cub fans would cheer because their lead off hitter made the pitcher step off?

Not many. Sox fans are so knowledgable of the game. I wasn't at that game, but I was so proud to call myself a Sox fan when I watched it when I got home and heard how loud they were at such a critical, yet subtle moment.

GO SOX

SOecks
01-31-2006, 05:30 PM

How many cub fans would cheer because their lead off hitter made the pitcher step off?

Not many. Sox fans are so knowledgable of the game. I wasn't at that game, but I was so proud to call myself a Sox fan when I watched it when I got home and heard how loud they were at such a critical, yet subtle moment.

GO SOX

And that subtlety (sp?) is a big reason why I love baseball as a sport and am so proud to be a Sox fan. We actually notice and appreciate the little things.

bigfoot
01-31-2006, 06:37 PM
Your right .....that was a good question. That was a game-within-game
moment and Pods came thru. The Fans played a big part .......all season.
White Sox fans just dont get the credit they deserve ..................

You're quoting Tim McCarver, Joe Buck and Chris Berman here, aren't you?

DumpJerry
01-31-2006, 07:17 PM
Only Hangar would notice, only Hangar.......:cool:

gobears1987
01-31-2006, 07:32 PM
http://www.oracleofottawa.org/TinRoom2.jpgCome on West. Hanagar no longer has any foil. He used it all for that trophy. (I need to see that Hangar, see if the Sox will let you bring it to games or at least to Core of the Core.)

WhteSox725
02-01-2006, 09:02 AM

GO SOX

That was the only playoff game I was able to get tickets to. It was by far the loudest I've ever heard the crowd. There were other step-offs and mound visits in that first inning that got a good cheer from the crowd. That was the first time I could ever remember that such things were cheered. It was great seeing how in to the game the fans were.

Another memorable part of the game for me was how loud everyone sung "Na Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye" when they took out Clement. The crowd level was amazing for that. I'm glad I was there for all that.