PDA

View Full Version : Chicago is a sox town.

Blueprint1
01-31-2006, 12:24 AM
Why do they have to keep telling us chicago is a Cubs town? I think deep down they know it is already a Sox town. Why would they have to keep reminding us that Chicago is still a cubs town. Each team has their die hards but I think most people cheer for whats cool right now. Read what Morrissey writes. ChicagoSports.com - Winning hearts (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-060130morrissey,1,7389837.column?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Will Chicago ever become a Sox town?

Yes, but it will take a while
It'll never happen
Look at this poll. Where is the it's already a sox town choice?

IlliniSox4Life
01-31-2006, 12:29 AM
Why do they have to keep telling us chicago is a Cubs town? I think deep down they know it is already a Sox town. Why would they have to keep reminding us that Chicago is still a cubs town. Each team has their die hards but I think most people cheer for whats cool right now. Read what Morrissey writes. ChicagoSports.com - Winning hearts (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-060130morrissey,1,7389837.column?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Who are they? Are they the same people that are hiding outside my window spying on me?

kittle42
01-31-2006, 12:31 AM
Gary Coleman? Gary?

DumpJerry
01-31-2006, 12:43 AM
Dolling up the Cell, coming up with innovative game-day promotions, dropping IBM stock certificates from the roof to the seats—none of it is going to change the mind-set in town.

Only winning will.
Well, I missed the IBM day, drat.
This guy is a total jerk for writing this column. What the hell does be base his assumption that Chicago was ever a Cubs town? By the number of Iowans who flock here to take in The Urinal? *****. It is **** like this that makes it hard for me to ignore the irrelevant team up north as the Sox are not just one step above them, but 20,000 feet higher.

Can someone direct me to the press release that proclaimed this a "Cubs town?" This is a Sox town, plain and simple. We get our support from people in the Chicago area, not a bunch of bumpkins who want to risk having cement chunks (and other types of chunks) fall on their head as they experience (but not watch) a baseball game played by the lesser league (NL).

Ok, I feel better, back to celebrating.

jehosaphat
01-31-2006, 01:33 AM
We just had this same discussion in the "What's the score?" section. I think people who write about this simply lack imagination for something new to write about. What drives me nuts is that people write about it all the time and never say anything new. Both Chicago franchises are healthy and both are going to survive for a long time - they've both already made it over 100 years. Of course, nobody ever points this out. Now, if one or both of the franchises were dying and about to fold, then such stories would have some merit. But, the truth is both teams are popular and have a healthy following - the fact that the Cubs draw more people to their park does not make the Sox a failure or any way diminish the championship the team won. The notion we should somehow feel less than validated until the day comes when we outdraw the Cubs is just plain stupid, and it seems to be subtext underlying all of these silly articles.

TheOldRoman
01-31-2006, 01:49 AM
If that is in the print edition of the Tribune tomorrow I will take it home and use it for toilet paper. What am I saying?! An "expose" of that quality will sure be on the front page.:rolleyes:

Moronissey is a fool, and he is flat out wrong. The point that was most off was:
This is a conservative guess, but I'd say that for every Sox fan in town there are three Cubs fans, and that the ratio is much, much higher outside the greater Chicago metropolitan area. Truth: For every ONE real diehard Cubs fan in town who is knowledgeable about baseball, actually pays attention to the game, and doesn't go to the Urinal because it is "cool", "hip", and "trendy", there are THREE diehard Sox fans.
However, for every one real Cubs fan, there are 4-5 mindless stooges who know nothing about the game. They follow it because they want to be "cool", they wants to drink beer in the sun, because they are insecure and need the reassurance that their team has more fans, or because they are elitist scum who follow the "classier" Cubs because they feel it makes them a better human being.

Another ridiculous quote was that a Cubs world series parade would make the Sox parade look like "the Oak Lawn fourth of July parade". Oh, and he had to throw in their the fact that there were countless Cubs fans at the parade who went just to see a championship parade. Im sure Moronissey would like us to think 1.5million of those people at the parade were Cubs fans, and only 200k low lifes crawled out of the ghettos to rob them.

Just another day at the Tribune towers.:angry:

DSpivack
01-31-2006, 02:16 AM
I can't believe people even get mad at this drivel anymore. You know what it smells like to me? You know what it is to me?

Fear.

Fear that Chicago might just be becoming a "Sox town", whatever that means. The Mets and the Yankees, and Dodgers and Angels are all healthy teams, financially anyway [The A's and the Giants, ok, maybe not]. A large market can sustain two teams, especially two as storied as these.

Morrissey sounds scared, like his blood is in the water. KW is the shark ready to take the bait and announce that Jaws is king once again. Maybe a bad analogy. But I really liked this article. Not for the content, but for the fear in his voice, on the very possibility that Chicagoans would like the South Siders, the White Sox, more than the cutesy yuppie losers.

So stand up and cheer for this article. Stand up and rise and say, damn straight it's becoming a Sox town.

Ain't winning grand?

rocky biddle
01-31-2006, 02:25 AM
Just another guy seeing the city through Tribune-colored glasses. Chicago is a championship town and that's because of the White Sox. The cubs are a punchline and always will be.

kittle42
01-31-2006, 03:04 AM
Who gives two ****s? They're your favorite team, and they just won. Who cares what anyone else says? Why can't people get over the crap?

IowaSox1971
01-31-2006, 03:18 AM
Morrissey, Phil Rogers and others at the Tribune have an agenda. Just remember what these two wrote last season after we won that series in Yankee Stadium:

Morrissey wrote a ridiculous column about a non-baseball, off-the-record conversation that Ozzie had with a friend while Rogers wrote that we absolutely had to do whatever possible to acquire the disgraced Rafael Palmeiro.

Neither of these two wrote about how the Sox had proven to the East Coast doubters that they could outplay the Yankees in New York. Neither one wrote about how we had defeated Mariano Rivera in the decisive game of that series.

These guys keep claiming they don't have an agenda. Their columns strongly suggest otherwise.

This column by Morrissey basically defies common sense. There were nearly 2 million fans who watched this championship parade. To suggest that a significant percentage were Cub fans is insane. Why would Cub fans take the day off of work (or a significant part of the day) and go stand outside on a fairly cold weekday in a mass of people to celebrate a White Sox championship? I can't imagine using up valuable vacation time or taking unpaid leave to go see a Cubs parade, so I doubt that very many actual Cub fans did this. But writing this column and attempting to belittle the Sox victory celebration probably will give Morrissey some more brownie points with his bosses.

The Racehorse
01-31-2006, 05:24 AM
Whatever

Fredsox
01-31-2006, 05:48 AM
I read the column and I thought it was a bit funny. But if you care about what he wrote to the extent that you'd get upset about it then you should probably realize that he's pretty much right, including the part that the cubs have put out a AAA team and drew 3 million fans.

1. If he's right and there ARE 3 cub fans for every Sox fan why on earth would you care? You just won the World Series.

2. If he's wrong why would you care?

So in either case, enjoy your team with the beautiful park and let the cub fans enjoy their beer garden and lousy team.

Hey! Spring Training starts in 18 days!

bigfoot
01-31-2006, 05:50 AM
Morrissey, et. al., are contractually obligated to spew out several hundred words, nearly every day. Sometimes it's thoughtful, informative and provocative. Most of the time it's just so much drivel. Though, in all fairness, none of these writers are going to make anyone forget Jerome Holtzman.

WinOrDyeTrying
01-31-2006, 06:40 AM
Put me in the "who care" column. The Sox won the World Series, and to many that is not good enough. Just enjoy the ride, folks.

Kuzman
01-31-2006, 07:09 AM
Who cares what he thinks. We root for the better team and we have proof. Let the city be full of idiots. I'll enjoy these last couple weeks with all my new friends who got season tickets that will be at the party all season with me.

oeo
01-31-2006, 07:22 AM
I've got two words:
WORLD CHAMPS

Wsoxmike59
01-31-2006, 07:52 AM
I had to fire an email off to Morrissey after reading this morning's column.

And I'd like to point out that if we at the Chicago Tribune had gone any more out of our way to show Sox fans we were on their side during the playoffs, we would have had to run this kind of headline: "Cubs rotting in hell!"

As it is, we all but wrote in big, black letters, "We're throwing ourselves at the Sox!"

Rick, I read with interest what you had to say in today's column regarding the Sox overtaking the Cubs as the # 1 team in town.

But I couldn't disagree more strongly with the above statement you made how the Tribune writers went out of their way to back the Sox on their playoff run. That ridiculous statement couldn't be further from the truth.

I recall quite a few stories running in your paper on how the Sox could still "choke" this thing away. First we Sox fans were treated to a comparison article on the '64 Phillies blowing a lead with 10 games left to go in the season.

During the ALDS against the Red Sox the Tribune so convienently reminded us of the 1984 Cubs collapse after going up 2 games to none against S.D.

The final straw came when the Sox held a 3-1 lead in the ALCS and the Tribune ran a story on the 2003 Cubs collapse.

Also as the Sox were heading in to the post season the Cubune's own Phil Rogers decided to run a negative slanted article on Frank Thomas' career with the White Sox. The running of that article and the timing of it smacked of a Jay Mariotti type hatchett job on Frank Thomas and the organization.

Beginning to see a trend here Rick??

I finally got fed up reading the Cubune's Pravda and Tass-like articles regarding Chicago's baseball teams and canceled my subscription.

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-31-2006, 07:55 AM
I had to fire an email off to Morrissey after reading this morning's column.

And I'd like to point out that if we at the Chicago Tribune had gone any more out of our way to show Sox fans we were on their side during the playoffs, we would have had to run this kind of headline: "Cubs rotting in hell!"

As it is, we all but wrote in big, black letters, "We're throwing ourselves at the Sox!"

Rick, I read with interest what you had to say in today's column regarding the Sox overtaking the Cubs as the # 1 team in town.

But I couldn't disagree more strongly with the above statement you made how the Tribune writers went out of their way to back the Sox on their playoff run. That ridiculous statement couldn't be further from the truth.

I recall quite a few stories running in your paper on how the Sox could still "choke" this thing away. First we Sox fans were treated to a comparison article on the '64 Phillies blowing a lead with 10 games left to go in the season.

During the ALDS against the Red Sox the Tribune so convienently reminded us of the 1984 Cubs collapse after going up 2 games to none against S.D.

The final straw came when the Sox held a 3-1 lead in the ALCS and the Tribune ran a story on the 2003 Cubs collapse.

Also as the Sox were heading in to the post season the Cubune's own Phil Rogers decided to run a negative slanted article on Frank Thomas' career with the White Sox. The running of that article and the timing of it smacked of a Jay Mariotti type hatchett job on Frank Thomas and the organization.

Beginning to see a trend here Rick??

I finally got fed up reading the Cubune's Pravda and Tass-like articles regarding Chicago's baseball teams and canceled my subscription.

Great response, but you're wasting your time. We all are. We don't buy into it, so we're wrong to feel anything other than brainwashed by the hype.

Those who don't listen, must feel. Let them continue to feel til next October, as we WILL BE THE WORLD CHAMPS until the next one is crowned. Plain and simple.

RHPH, out!!

Cat Thief
01-31-2006, 08:15 AM
how the smell of marijuana wafts up from the courtyards of the nearby buildings.

rdwj
01-31-2006, 08:15 AM
Honestly, I don't have a big problem with this article. If this is his idea of "fans", they can have em...

You could put a Triple-A team in Wrigley Field (and the Cubs have), and 3 million fans would still show up for the sunshine, the ivy and the beer. Did I mention the beer?

can you really call them "fans" when they show up for the sunshine, ivy and beer?

kevin57
01-31-2006, 08:44 AM
I just read the column too, and it made me angrier than when I had seen it posted here. According to RM, there is basically no way Chicago will ever be a Sox town. :o: How does one begin to respond to that kind of argument?

buehrle4cy05
01-31-2006, 08:45 AM
Rick-
None of us care. At all. That makes the article look like something to make Cub fans feel good. And you know what? Let them feel good. Let them live in their little la-la happy land where winning doesn't matter, but having more fans does.

Once again, nobody cares. Baseball is about one thing. Winning.

soxtalker
01-31-2006, 09:05 AM
First of all, I've been a Sox fan since about 1960. I've passionately cheered for them through thick and thin. Though not a season ticket holder, seldom has a season gone by which didn't see me at Comiskey or The Cell for 5-10 games. In contrast, I attended my first Cubs game in over 30 years in 2004, when a friend had tickets to the Sox game. (I couldn't help thinking how nice a park The Cell is in contrast.)

But I have to respectfully disagree with most of you. I don't think that Morrissey is all that far off. There are far more people in the Chicagoland area who identify with the Cubs than the Sox. Maybe not 3:1, but still more. Now, there is a large contingent that will cheer for whichever team appears to be more popular. And those will be won over by another season or two of consistent winning. Plus, we will start getting the new generation of kids. (The move of the Cubs to more night games and less free TV games helps here also.) One thing that he didn't mention, but which I think is a big factor, is all the housing construction lately in areas closer to The Cell.

nebraskasox
01-31-2006, 09:50 AM
Methinks Morrissey doth protest too much. Jealousy, grasping at straws, call it what you will. At least he called it right when he said the CHC could field a AAA team and still draw 3 million. But losing will eventually wear thin, especially when juxtaposed to the winning baseball a few miles south. Most fans at WSI and Sox fans in general have it right: let them have their self-proclaimed tourist attraction. Give us winning baseball!

VASoxfan1
01-31-2006, 10:11 AM
I think during the mid 90s that chicago was pretty much the team in chicago and to some extent the country. I was a young kid (elementary school) during the 93-94 seasons and i distinctly remember the good guys wear black campaign and so forth. Furthermore, i remember a sportscenter piece about how wherever the sox played there would be just as much sox merchandise in the stands as the home teams.

I feel like the 94 strike that killed our team (but not nearly as much as the expos) for remainder of the decade allowed for the cubs to come back into focus as "chicagos team."

But in all honesty this debate will go on until either one team folds (unlikely to happen) or moves away (also unlikely) even if chicago is/does become a sox town then you'll hear cubs fan, national media, and the entire journalistic staff of the cubune claiming otherwise. Its always just going to be that way.

Hitmen77
01-31-2006, 10:13 AM
Morrissey is correct when he says that there are more Cub fans in Chicago right now than Sox fans. Give him credit for correctly stating that this doesn't make them better fans - it's just that there are more of them. That's the issue that I have always had a problem with, that false notion that Cub fans are "better fans" just because they have a bigger fan base. I think alot of Chicago sports writers over the past few years have correctly pointed out that Cub fans are more numerous, but Sox fans are better fans. Heck, even that guy we don't talk about on this site (you know, Moronotti:o: ) said this!
That being said, I do have problems with some of the other things Morrissey says in this article.

1) This will never be a Cubs town. The Cubs always draw 3 million while fielding a AAA quality team. Truth is that the Cubs didn't jump up to the 3 million range until recent years with the Sosa HR and '03 playoff hype. Go back to before 1998 (not that long ago!) and they were rarely better than 2.1 or 2.2 million. This is what we consider "bad attendance" for the Sox now. Go back further in time to the early 80s and the Cubs sometimes closed the entire upper deck at games due to low attenance.

2) The Sox victory parade contained Cub and Sox fans alike. Ha!! I was there and it was ALL Sox fans. Sure, he's probably techically correct in that there were bound to be a few Cub fans in a sea of silver and black. But his statement is misleading and gives the impression that Cub fans were a sizable portion of the parade and inflated the parade total. Totally misleading.

3) A Cubs parade would have made the Sox parade look like an Oak Park parade. That's just BS. The scope of the Sox parade was mind-boggling. It outdid the Bulls and Bears victory celebrations. To easily dismiss it as not up to snuff to what the Cubs would have done is just idiotic. That's self-fullfulling logic for the Tribune Co. to make sure that, no matter what the Sox do, it'll never be good enough.

kevin57
01-31-2006, 10:14 AM
There are far more people in the Chicagoland area who identify with the Cubs than the Sox. Maybe not 3:1, but still more. Now, there is a large contingent that will cheer for whichever team appears to be more popular. And those will be won over by another season or two of consistent winning.

What is so aggravating is that using just about any timeframe (e.g., 1990s), the Sox DO have a better record than the Flubs, more winning seasons, etc.

Uncle_Patrick
01-31-2006, 10:19 AM
I sort of think he wrote this article just to irritate Sox fans. It seems to be working.

soxrme
01-31-2006, 10:24 AM
Who gives two ****s? They're your favorite team, and they just won. Who cares what anyone else says? Why can't people get over the crap?
I agree he is just writing a column to try to stir things up and be recognized as a "Journalist". Forget this drivel.
WE ARE THE WORLD CHAMPS:D:

Jerko
01-31-2006, 10:24 AM
I sort of think he wrote this article just to irritate Sox fans. It seems to be working.

I agree, and he's probably laughing at every email he gets. Just ignore his ass (I know Hangar will rip me for that one). :cower:

cheeses_h_rice
01-31-2006, 10:28 AM
Excuse me, but did someone just fart?

slavko
01-31-2006, 10:28 AM

What other purpose could there be? Besides he himself being a Cub fan and there most definitely being an agenda (as stated above). I will admit that our very own Bill Melton has said on-air that the fan ratio is 4:1.

The agenda comes through in almost every writer in that paper's sports section. (Sam Smith is an exception but he doesn't cover baseball.)

woodenleg
01-31-2006, 10:51 AM
This is an attendance thread in disguise, as are most 'Cubs town' threads.

I honestly tried getting worked up over it but, yawwwwnnn...

Really, this is a drain on our energy.

tebman
01-31-2006, 10:53 AM

What other purpose could there be? Besides he himself being a Cub fan and there most definitely being an agenda (as stated above). I will admit that our very own Bill Melton has said on-air that the fan ratio is 4:1.

The agenda comes through in almost every writer in that paper's sports section. (Sam Smith is an exception but he doesn't cover baseball.)
Morrissey is doing the same thing Mariotti does, but with more finesse. His job is to get people to read what he writes and get them to react to it. Clearly it's working.

Those of us who identify ourselves as Sox fans are fans of the game of baseball and the workaday quality the White Sox have characterized for a hundred years. The "3-to-1" population that Morrissey writes about are fans of comfort and artifice (ivy, etc.) and only incidentally fans of baseball. The Tribune plays that crowd like a violin, meshing the Wrigley Field Experience seamlessly with the business-lunch and soccer-mom clientele the Tribune targets as its audience.

Forget Morrissey. He's another shill in a company that has raised shilling to an art form.

woodenleg
01-31-2006, 11:02 AM
I seriously doubt it will be 3-to-1 after the Sox showed they can deliver.

I see it this way: first of all, it wasn't that long ago that the Sox had better attendance. So there's the matter of history. Another thing is that an awful lot of people in Chicago are just 'sports fans' and want a winning team and they'll go with the winning team.

Like someone said on the Tribune comments section, both teams have been around forever, so I think we can expect this boring back and forth for the next few centuries. All that matters to me right now is how we do this year.

Hangar18
01-31-2006, 11:32 AM

WHY? Because its this Bull**** Propoganda that keeps getting pumped out to the masses.
* Morrissey couldve wrote how Packed SoxFest was (truth), and how pumped everybody was(truth), experiencing a Championship Euphoria(truth).

* Instead however, he would rather write about what a WS Parade would be like for the Flubbies (speculates), how it would dwarf our parade (speculates), and how 1/2 the fans were cub fans just wanting to see a Parade (Lies)

Rick Morrissey is an IDIOT. Why? Nobody told him he had to be a Cub Fan. He CHOSE to do so. Monkey.

Hangar18
01-31-2006, 11:37 AM

I remember bringing up one day a long time ago, that the Cubune had a bias against the White Sox and that they were giving the Cubs 4 times the coverage. I remember people saying we'll get Fair and More coverage if we "win", I said no we wont, we'll simply start getting harsher articles written.

I think were seeing this happen now ...................
These guys make me embarrassed to be from Chicago. Luckily, we have the White Sox.

Uncle_Patrick
01-31-2006, 11:46 AM
WHY? Because its this Bull**** Propoganda that keeps getting pumped out to the masses.
* Morrissey couldve wrote how Packed SoxFest was (truth), and how pumped everybody was(truth), experiencing a Championship Euphoria(truth).

* Instead however, he would rather write about what a WS Parade would be like for the Flubbies (speculates), how it would dwarf our parade (speculates), and how 1/2 the fans were cub fans just wanting to see a Parade (Lies)

Rick Morrissey is an IDIOT. Why? Nobody told him he had to be a Cub Fan. He CHOSE to do so. Monkey.

Hangar, you shouldn't get yourself too worked up over this. This whole thing reminds me of some bad teen drama where the cool jock, after getting shown up by some uncool person, comes back and says "Oh yeah? Well, you'll always be a loser" or some crap like that. The whole theme of the article is "Hey Sox fans, you'll always be #2". You only need to remind someone of that when you know your position is weakening.

kittle42
01-31-2006, 11:46 AM

I understand your point, Henry - sure they could write all sorts of great things about the Sox - but why should we care whether they do or do not? Let the stupid Cub fans and Cub "fans" keep attending games and wearing their stupid little bear holding a bat hats. We have the World Series Champs. I feel no need to convert or influence these idiots or to have the newspapers do it, either. They can be blissfully ignorant, as they have been for quite a while, and we can be proud. That would be my attitude if the "split" in town was 80/20 Cubs or 80/20 Sox. This is just not a topic to waste your energy on anymore.

Hangar18
01-31-2006, 11:50 AM

I sort of think he wrote this article just to please the Suits who write his checks.
What a Monkey.

Hangar18
01-31-2006, 11:55 AM
I cant wait to take my Trophy to the Cell May 19th ................

Stoky44
01-31-2006, 11:56 AM
So that's a lot of ground to make up for the Sox, and if you were to pin me to the wall, I'd say that Chicago won't turn into a Sox town in my lifetime.

Well I would say Chicago has only been Cub town between 1998-Sept 2005. After the Bulls stopped winning the non-diehard sports fans were looking for something to cheer for, in pops steroid cork man Sosa. If anything the city is more of a Bears town. There have been more people in the city who say they root for the cubs, but this does not make them fans. The Cubs didn't start really drawing until 1998 anyway. Unless Rick plans on dieing son, if the Sox win 1 or 2 more times in the next couple of years, I bet we have more fans or equal amount of fans. I won't mention the 'A' word, but that will change as well, it might change this year!

Baby Fisk
01-31-2006, 11:58 AM
Remember how you all felt on 10/26/05? That's something those *******s will never get to experience. They are jealous. Morrissey = Jealousy. End of discussion. GO GO WHITE SOX! :thumbsup:

Lip Man 1
01-31-2006, 11:59 AM
This has been discussed before and my only comment is that it runs in cycles.

In the 50's through the mid 60's, the Cubs couldn't even get arrested in this town. They were a joke, nobody cared about them including the media.

In the late 60's that changed. The Cubs 69 team and collapse was the big story in the city.

It changed throughout the 70's.

It changed in the 80's including 1983 when the Cubs were closing the upper deck at Wrigley Field for lack of fans. The Cubs got their share of the city back when they won in 1984 then took a larger hold due to SportsVision and the Sox taking themselves off WGN-TV (which became a Superstation) until 1990.

It will change again in the future because that is the nature of fandom.

Lip

Stoky44
01-31-2006, 12:03 PM
The fact that he has to preface his article by saying he is not just pleasing the company, and then has to joke about Kaplan, only proves that he des write to please the company.

That's like going to court and have your lawyer start his opening statement, "I am going to tell the truth today. I am not lying to make my client look innocent." Or a Doctor telling you before surgery, "I am smart, I know what is wrong with you and I know how to use surgical instraments." This should go with out saying if it is the truth.

tebman
01-31-2006, 12:05 PM
This has been discussed before and my only comment is that it runs in cycles.

In the 50's through the mid 60's, the Cubs couldn't even get arrested in this town. They were a joke, nobody cared about them including the media.

In the late 60's that changed. The Cubs 69 team and collapse was the big story in the city.

It changed throughout the 70's.

It changed in the 80's including 1983 when the Cubs were closing the upper deck at Wrigley Field for lack of fans. The Cubs got their share of the city back when they won in 1984 then took a larger hold due to SportsVision and the Sox taking themselves off WGN-TV (which became a Superstation) until 1990.

It will change again in the future because that is the nature of fandom.

Lip
Yep. :yup:

Meanwhile, another cycle begins in the clubhouse of the pitching-rich World Champions, where plans are proceeding apace for another march to the World Series...

miker
01-31-2006, 12:10 PM
There are far more people in the Chicagoland area who identify with the Cubs than the Sox. Maybe not 3:1, but still more. Now, there is a large contingent that will cheer for whichever team appears to be more popular...
Once again verifying my theory that most people would rather be popular than be a winner.

I have a feeling that this underdog mentality will always be part of our identity as Sox fans, even if being a Sox fan were to become more popular.

I don't want to say I don't care...I have simply accepted this fate.

Realist
01-31-2006, 12:47 PM
The Cell is gonna be packed all season long and it's going to be very difficult to get tickets to many many of the games.

That place is gonna be a madhouse. :smile:

Scottiehaswheels
01-31-2006, 12:51 PM
Once again verifying my theory that most people would rather be popular than be a winner.

I have a feeling that this underdog mentality will always be part of our identity as Sox fans, even if being a Sox fan were to become more popular.

I don't want to say I don't care...I have simply accepted this fate.

I had a different take on this.... Its a little off the wall but... With the Tribune company struggling to stay afloat.... Word on the street was the Trib might sell the Cubs... Could this article been a gauging piece by the Trib to really find out if the tide is turning?

If the response they get back seems to indicate so, maybe they feel its prime time to sell before they experience ticket sales like they did in the early 80's; further weakening their financial situation..

Could be another reason their GM didn't spend all the money they figured to be able to spend after losing Sam-Me's contract this year... Trib cutting back because they fear a turning tide? locking in a 90 mil+ payroll 3-4 years out doesn't make sense if you think ticket sales could plummet.. How many of their FA's signings this year were further out than 2-3 years excluding options?

Hangar18
01-31-2006, 01:00 PM
I have simply accepted this fate.

They do. We dont.

Never Accept Fate. Ever.

tebman
01-31-2006, 01:12 PM
I had a different take on this.... Its a little off the wall but... With the Tribune company struggling to stay afloat.... Word on the street was the Trib might sell the Cubs... Could this article been a gauging piece by the Trib to really find out if the tide is turning?

If the response they get back seems to indicate so, maybe they feel its prime time to sell before they experience ticket sales like they did in the early 80's; further weakening their financial situation..

Could be another reason their GM didn't spend all the money they figured to be able to spend after losing Sam-Me's contract this year... Trib cutting back because they fear a turning tide? locking in a 90 mil+ payroll 3-4 years out doesn't make sense if you think ticket sales could plummet.. How many of their FA's signings this year were further out than 2-3 years excluding options?
The throat-clearers and suspender-pullers in the Tribune boardroom have been asking these questions for a while. We talked about it an earlier thread here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60765&highlight=investors), based on a story in Crain's business magazine about grumbling Tribune investors.

The captains of industry seem to think that the Cubs could net as much as $400 million in a sale, maybe more. There won't be any tag-day charity drives for the Tribune, but they are concerned about making less money. They're in the advertising business, not the news business, and the papers and the TV stations are making less money. On top of that, the Tribune lost a court case against the IRS and has to pay over a billion (yes, Billion) dollars in taxes as a result of the purchase of the L. A. Times.

Having said all that, I hardly think they'd depend on some hatchet job by a sportswriter to gauge market sentiment. The Tribune is way too sophisticated for that -- you can bet that teams of MBAs and economists are poring over marketing data on behalf of the Tribune to help them make that decision.

The Tribune might sell the Cubs, but it'll be strictly to serve a larger business purpose. That's the only reason the Tribune does anything.

TheOldRoman
01-31-2006, 01:16 PM
Haha, I will be in the upperdeck for that game, but I will be leading the "1908" chants. Hangar, you should make an attendance trophy for the Cubs, then hold it up next to the real trophy.

maurice
01-31-2006, 01:58 PM
I'm just absolutely shocked . . . SHOCKED . . . that the Cubune would publish anti-Sox propaganda to further advance their financial interests . . . again.

What do you expect the World's Greatest Newspaper to do? Report actual news? That requires significant time and work. It's much easier to just make **** up. You can do that in 5 minutes.

Max Power
01-31-2006, 02:08 PM
Both Chicago franchises are healthy and both are going to survive for a long time - they've both already made it over 100 years. Of course, nobody ever points this out. Now, if one or both of the franchises were dying and about to fold, then such stories would have some merit. But, the truth is both teams are popular and have a healthy following.

Very good point and something I hadn't thought about before. Chicago is the only city in the country that has continuously supported the same two teams for more than 100 years.

The article was retarded and I can't believe I wasted my time reading it. I knew everything that was going to be said just from reading the title.

SoxFanPrope
01-31-2006, 02:25 PM
I always thought this was more of a Bears town than anything else, eh...

itsnotrequired
01-31-2006, 02:28 PM
Oh man, have you guys been checking out the Tribune discussion board on this topic?

Ii grew up on the Spouth Side. Watched Billy Pierce strike out Ted Williams in my first night game at Comiskey. Ne ver liked the Sox, always and will be a Cubs fan for whatever reason I have no logical answer. Just the way it is.
Submitted by: bobbyw7
1:24 PM CST, Jan 31, 2006

Many more classics to be had.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-060131soxcubsboard,1,4222279.graffitiboard?coll=ch i-sportsnew-hed

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-31-2006, 02:30 PM
Haha, I will be in the upperdeck for that game, but I will be leading the "1908" chants. Hangar, you should make an attendance trophy for the Cubs, then hold it up next to the real trophy.

How does one make a trophy out of hot air??

Baby Fisk
01-31-2006, 02:41 PM
Shape it like a beer can with breasts.

Dadawg_77
01-31-2006, 02:59 PM
Honestly, I don't know if Sox or Cubs performance will have a major affect on who owns this town. Lakeview is just a much better place for a ballpark right now. What surrounds the Cell? Parking lots and assisted housing, then Bridgeport and other South Side neighborhoods filled with families. What surrounds Wrigley? Tons of disposal income with people who are young enough that getting drunk at two in the afternoon isn't a big deal. Moreover, the fact many of the residents in Lakeview come from Midwest where they and their families were Cubs fans because they listened and/or watched them on WGN. This may change with redevelopment of areas around Cell and South Loop and fact transplants to Chicago are more likely to support both teams then people born in the City.

This isn't to say Lakeview is a better neighborhood then Bridgeport, but which neighborhood would be a better location for an entertainment business. It isn't baseball just demographics.

Hangar18
01-31-2006, 03:05 PM
This isn't to say Lakeview is a better neighborhood then Bridgeport, but which neighborhood would be a better location for an entertainment business. It isn't baseball just demographics.

I think City Planners have just now wiped the collective Pie off their Faces from Letting Jerry Reinsdorf dictate how the Neighborhood/Stadium should be designed. Heres to Jerry & the State of Illinois loosening their Iron Grip and letting some other businesses expand in the area.

White Sox Randy
01-31-2006, 03:13 PM
I just read that article, completely prepared to be offended, and found it to be dead ass on.

I can't imagine why Sox fans are complaining about it. He continually bashes and makes fun of the hapless cubs.

The funniest thing about this whole thing is that cub fans will not be up in arms about him trashing their team - they can't even be insulted. They know it's all true and they don't care that they are the butt of jokes.

All this proves Morrissey's point that it will remain a cubs town because there are enough of these people that don't care if the cubs don't win a game all season and triple the ticket prices, they are still cub fans.

SoxFanPrope
01-31-2006, 03:16 PM
All this proves Morrissey's point that it will remain a cubs town because there are enough of these people that don't care if the cubs don't win a game all season and triple the ticket prices, they are still cub fans.

The Trib is really good at making money. Hmmm, maybe I should buy some stock in them.

nug0hs
01-31-2006, 03:25 PM
Out here in Michigan, I often have to explain my Sox pride at parties and social gatherings. It doesn't help that I am from the North suburbs originally, so people always say: "North side? Aren't you required to be a Cubs fan then?" - The other day, I figured out a quick and easy response to things like that: "Dude, you must understand, in Chicago, the Cubs are a tourist attraction and the Sox are a world championship baseball team" - This statement will stick with me for the rest of my life and is very helpful in explaining to people the difference that divides this city.

Martinigirl
01-31-2006, 03:33 PM
This is the email I sent to Mr. Morrissey,

I really think you need to alter that to "3:1, fans of the beer garden at Clark & Addison, to fans of a major league baseball team that won the World Series".

I have no problem admitting the Cubs have a bigger fanbase, but I honestly believe that if you compare the number of actual baseball fans, fans of the game, and not the atmosphere, the numbers are much closer. Once you throw in the people who just love to wear the Cubbie blue and get drunk in the bleachers, without even knowing the opponent, let alone the score, then I think your math is correct.

I grew up in Beverly, lived in Wrigleyville after college, was one of the few girls I know that was taught by their dad to keep score when I was young, and I can tell you, seeing the vapid Cub fans walk out of Wrigley, having no clue what they happened on the field, has always been a pet peeve of mine. Call yourselves a fan of a building, a beer garden, but don't say you are a fan of a baseball team. These 'fans' wouldn't know a baseball if it hit them in the head, off the bat of a shortstop they wouldn't know the name of.

But in all honest, do you think Sox fans want people like that at the home of the World Champion Chicago White Sox? I think I can speak for Sox fans everywhere when I say we don't.

Baby Fisk
01-31-2006, 03:35 PM
I thought the NY Yankee board settled this question.

Cat Thief
01-31-2006, 03:38 PM
These 'fans' wouldn't know a baseball if it hit them in the head, off the bat of a shortstop they wouldn't know the name of.

The whole thing was good but this was the best part.

miker
01-31-2006, 04:01 PM
They do. We dont.

Never Accept Fate. Ever.
Let me rephrase it...I've accepted the fate that the pro-Cub factions of the media and the Cubs' Kool-Aid drinking fans will always illogically claim superiority despite their definite lack of World Championships won in the past ~100 years.

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-31-2006, 04:16 PM
Honestly, I don't know if Sox or Cubs performance will have a major affect on who owns this town. Lakeview is just a much better place for a ballpark right now. What surrounds the Cell? Parking lots and assisted housing, then Bridgeport and other South Side neighborhoods filled with families. What surrounds Wrigley? Tons of disposal income with people who are young enough that getting drunk at two in the afternoon isn't a big deal. Moreover, the fact many of the residents in Lakeview come from Midwest where they and their families were Cubs fans because they listened and/or watched them on WGN. This may change with redevelopment of areas around Cell and South Loop and fact transplants to Chicago are more likely to support both teams then people born in the City.

You need to look at true demographics.

In the recent Crain's, showing all the top lists for 2005...Bridgeport/Back of the Yards were in the top 10 for teardown and revelopment of housing and commercial properties. It's not FAIR to assimilate neighborhood income with the creation of high rise public housing inherited in the neighborhood(but is slowly being redeveloped along with one of the top technical schools in the country). If you spent some time and searched through this site you'd see both residents and non residents commenting on how the neighborhood surrounding the Cell has VASTLY improved over the past 5-10 years. I remember driving to games and cutting through the neighborhoods; those same neighborhoods now boast homes I cannot afford to purchase.
Baseball, in and of itself, is entertainment; your argument that entertainment is needed to support baseball is Tribune logic, which is why the Cubs are...the Cubs.

1951Campbell
01-31-2006, 05:02 PM

I can't wait to hear tens of thousands of Sox fans chanting "where's your trophy? Clap, clap, clapclapclap! Where's your trophy? Clap, clap, clapclapclap!" as they point to the mortified Cubs fans in their respective sections.

Dadawg_77
01-31-2006, 05:47 PM
You need to look at true demographics.

In the recent Crain's, showing all the top lists for 2005...Bridgeport/Back of the Yards were in the top 10 for teardown and revelopment of housing and commercial properties. It's not FAIR to assimilate neighborhood income with the creation of high rise public housing inherited in the neighborhood(but is slowly being redeveloped along with one of the top technical schools in the country). If you spent some time and searched through this site you'd see both residents and non residents commenting on how the neighborhood surrounding the Cell has VASTLY improved over the past 5-10 years. I remember driving to games and cutting through the neighborhoods; those same neighborhoods now boast homes I cannot afford to purchase.
Baseball, in and of itself, is entertainment; your argument that entertainment is needed to support baseball is Tribune logic, which is why the Cubs are...the Cubs.

I did say area is being developed, but that doesn't change the fact yuppies in Wrigley have more purchasing power for entertainment then the families of Bridgeport. This is a crude measure but 60613 but the mean income per household for 60613 (Lakeview) is $57,110. For 60616(Cell) the average was $36,282. Also there are about 29K households in 60613 and only 20K in 60616. Thus a lot more disposable income resides by Wrigley then the Cell.

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-31-2006, 06:50 PM
I did say area is being developed, but that doesn't change the fact yuppies in Wrigley have more purchasing power for entertainment then the families of Bridgeport. This is a crude measure but 60613 but the mean income per household for 60613 (Lakeview) is $57,110. For 60616(Cell) the average was $36,282. Also there are about 29K households in 60613 and only 20K in 60616. Thus a lot more disposable income resides by Wrigley then the Cell.

There's nothing crude about that...those are solid numbers. BUT, take that over a generational lifecycle, and let's see the comparisons. The area around Wrigley has NOT always been the premiere land in town; and while Bridgeport/BOTY will always be more blue collar, my bet is the income has been more CONSISTENT.

Hitmen77
01-31-2006, 10:22 PM
Here's what I added at the end of my e-mail to Morrissey:

No, the Trib doesn't have to write "Cubs Rotting in Hell" to be pro-Sox. However, articles exaggerating Cubs attendance, dismissing the massive Sox parade as a joke compared to "what the Cubs could do", and giving Cub fans credit for the Sox parade turnout show that the Tribune really hasn't embraced the Sox and that you guys at Tribune Tower just don't get it.

GoSox2K3
01-31-2006, 10:28 PM
According to reports, the ticker-tape parade celebrating the Sox's World Series title attracted 1.75 million people. The crowd contained Sox and Cubs fans alike, most of them united in their embrace of a champion.

I don't blame Rick Morrissey for thinking there were alot of Cub fans at the parade. He was probably surrounded by others from the Chicago media at the parade. In other words, he was surrounded by Cub fans.

1951Campbell
01-31-2006, 10:57 PM
I don't blame Rick Morrissey for thinking there were alot of Cub fans at the parade. He was probably surrounded by others from the Chicago media at the parade. In other words, he was surrounded by Cub fans.

Yes, apparently Morrissey is the Pauline Kael of the Chicago sports media. :D:

Soxfanspcu11
01-31-2006, 11:02 PM
Next year at this time, Chicago WILL be a Sox town, no argument about it.

And remember I said this on January 31st 2006.

IlliniSox4Life
02-02-2006, 03:28 PM
And he's back.....

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_wakeup/

IlliniSox4Life
02-02-2006, 04:10 PM
And just so you can all see, my email to him:

Mr. Morrissey,

First of all, I took a lot of issue with your collumn regarding whether or not Chicago is or ever will be a Sox town. I didn't email you about it though, because frankly, I didn't really care what you thought. However, I'm bored, and I read your blog, so here we go:

In your January 31st entry, you state "Yes, the Cubs have a lot of people who come to their games only for the sunshine and the beer. No, they might not be "real'' fans. But they do buy tickets. Isn't that how we keep score?". No. That's how YOU and cub fans keep score. I completely disagree with that for many reasons. If we keep score by how many people show up, why were there "Sox and Cub fans alike" at the parade, like you state? Is it not possible for a large chunk of Wrigley Field's attendance to be caused by Tourists. I'll tell you something. I was in New York and Boston over last summer and went to both Fenway and Yankee Stadium. I am a fan of neither team. You also ignore any economic differences between the fan bases which could largely contribute to attendance.

Regarding your assertion that the Tribune's sports staff is told to favor the Cubs over the Sox. I agree with you. I don't think you are told to. That doesn't mean you don't favor them though. For whatever reason, you do. Your collumn is perfect evidence of that. The fact that you can never imagine Chicago becoming a Sox town again means that you are either incredibly closed minded or incredibly biased. Whatever the reason, you and others at the Tribune (not everybody, but others) do favor the Cubs. My dad was a Sox fan. I was never told to be a Sox fan by him, but you bet that's one of the reasons I am.

You also stat "No, the fact that this once was a Sox town doesn't necessarily mean it's going to happen again. The Sox blew it by losing Haray Caray to WGN, by having bad TV deals and by losing a few generations of fans to the superstation. It's going to take a long time to make that up." So there is NO way the Cubs can blow it? You can't imagine that consistantly putting a losing team on the field will get old after a while? Or possibly playing somewhere other than Wrigley (It's old. It has to come down sometime). It's cute to be the "loveable losers" only if there aren't any "loveable winners" in the area. I'm sure throughout history the Yankees winning has had nothing to do with the giant fan base they have all over New York and the world. Keep telling yourself that a majority of Chicagoans will support a loser when there is a winner in town.

And one last thing. Your attendance argument. Sox attendance rose over 18% from 2004 in 2005. I am sure you will see a similar double digit increases this year. If you can't see anything but attendance numbers, if the Sox see even a 15% increase, which is almost all but guaranteed with a winning club (season tickets levels are at an all time high), they will be in the area of 2.7 million attendance this year. Add another successful season next year, and 2007 and the Sox are getting dangerously close to taking that attendance trophy all you Cubs fans are

White Sox Fan,
Kevin

TomBradley72
02-02-2006, 04:42 PM

I don't completely disagree with your argument...but the metroplitan area where fans come from is much bigger than the immediate neighborhood around the ballpark. The Cubs might have the advantage for the "we want to drink alot and walk/taxi to a game"...but for folks that are in the stage of their life where that isn't their priority or have a family....the easy access to the Cell off the freeway, a more modern park with amenities and plenty of parking...might give the Cell the advantage. If you're in the "adult" part of your life...the aging fraternity/sorority atmosphere of the Urinal is more pathetic than it is attractive.

Hitmen77
02-02-2006, 05:15 PM
I read some of the replies to his blog and those Cub fans sound pretty stupid. It's almost like people from WSI are posing as Cub fans and posting all the stereotypes that make Cubs fans such terrible fans. "The Cubs have ivy, 7th inning stretch, and a manual scoreboard" and the "Sox have nothing". :rolleyes:

Geez, these people are downright admitting that they don't care a lick about baseball and the only thing important to them is that their team has "celebrities" singing the 7th inning stretch. Man, reading that garbage makes me so glad I'm a Sox fan.

ChiSoxLifer
02-02-2006, 05:22 PM
One of the Cubs fans still think the Brewers are still in the AL.

Hitmen77
02-04-2006, 10:37 AM
Here's a pretty good rebuttal to Morrissey that appears today on the Trib's website. This guy is pretty much on the mark - especially with his point of winning over youngsters who will like The Cell better than Wrigley and don't care about bars, ivy.

As far as the "Harry Caray" and WGN advantage for the Cubs -- Remember, today's kids don't even remember Harry Caray (who last broadcast 9 years ago) and WGN's advantage is quickly fading in this age of cable/satellite.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0602040143feb04,1,957418.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

Hitmen77
02-07-2006, 04:53 PM
Good piece by Guy Bacci:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=3067

PaulDrake
02-08-2006, 10:37 AM
This is the email I sent to Mr. Morrissey,

I really think you need to alter that to "3:1, fans of the beer garden at Clark & Addison, to fans of a major league baseball team that won the World Series".

I have no problem admitting the Cubs have a bigger fanbase, but I honestly believe that if you compare the number of actual baseball fans, fans of the game, and not the atmosphere, the numbers are much closer. Once you throw in the people who just love to wear the Cubbie blue and get drunk in the bleachers, without even knowing the opponent, let alone the score, then I think your math is correct.

I grew up in Beverly, lived in Wrigleyville after college, was one of the few girls I know that was taught by their dad to keep score when I was young, and I can tell you, seeing the vapid Cub fans walk out of Wrigley, having no clue what they happened on the field, has always been a pet peeve of mine. Call yourselves a fan of a building, a beer garden, but don't say you are a fan of a baseball team. These 'fans' wouldn't know a baseball if it hit them in the head, off the bat of a shortstop they wouldn't know the name of.

But in all honest, do you think Sox fans want people like that at the home of the World Champion Chicago White Sox? I think I can speak for Sox fans everywhere when I say we don't. That is really excellent.

McCuddy
02-14-2006, 04:37 PM
I read some of the replies to his blog and those Cub fans sound pretty stupid. It's almost like people from WSI are posing as Cub fans and posting all the stereotypes that make Cubs fans such terrible fans. "The Cubs have ivy, 7th inning stretch, and a manual scoreboard" and the "Sox have nothing". :rolleyes:

I especially enjoyed all the references to the fans "beating the coaches," as if that happens every game. If I recall correctly, that's happened as many times as fans removed hats from opposing players at the other place.

Oh, yeah - the one time, there was a guy who attacked an ump. Of course, he got liquored up up north. They forget that part.

In addition to the "nothing" the Sox have, they have fewer fans shot and killed outside their park after games. I believe there was a post-game murder in '03?

chisoxfanatic
02-14-2006, 06:11 PM
In addition to the "nothing" the Sox have, they have fewer fans shot and killed outside their park after games. I believe there was a post-game murder in '03?

But that has NOTHING on the incident that happened in 1999, where Bill Simonson was harshly attacked by a group of kids just outside of Armour Park. Poor Bill was ONLY starting everything with his big yapper! Oh, poor Bill! He clearly did NOT have this coming!!!

miker
02-15-2006, 06:39 PM
Well if my trip to the Chicago Auto Show is any indication, I'd say we're getting a good foothold.

Of course, having all that World Series merchandise to wear really helps!:D:

hsnterprize
02-15-2006, 08:33 PM
I guess the best thing to take from all this is that the Cubs, or at least the Tribune Company, are pretty scared their "foothold" on the popularity championship in this town is getting weaker. Everyone associated with the north siders knows the Cubs' popularity is more based on the ballpark, national exposure, and folklore rather than something substancial, like winning on the field. However, I do agree somewhat with Morrissey that it will take winning consistently for Chicago to really become a "Sox town". Let's face it, there's a lot of "mountain" for the Sox to climb in order to really be on top. However, last year's win was a strong indication the south siders are climbing to the top of that mountain pretty well.

Let's not get too worked up about this article. The only thing that matters is that our White Sox are the defending World Series Champions, and as long as they play to their capabilities and stay healthy, they'll remain that way. Let the Cubs and their fans tremble in their "Bartman-style" panic if they want to. That's what they get for cheering for a team that cares more about a crumbling stadium and folklore rather than winning.

GoSox2K3
02-16-2006, 01:32 PM
How many people (including us Sox fans) seriously expected the Sox status in Chicago to dramatically turn around as quickly as it has even after a WS title? I certainly didn't expect this. I think we are all pleasantly surprised.

So, predictably, the media tries to fire back with a lame "this is still a Cubs town" article. I agree that the Trib Co. is a little concerned at how quickly the Sox are gaining in Chicago. Yes, there are still more Cub fans in town. But, that's like saying that GM still sells more vehicles than Toyota. It's true, but which company would you rather be right now?

Part of the problem is that people get into this trap of thinking all Chicagoans are locked into a team allegiance. Simply not true. I agree that real Cub fans won't switch to the Sox. Cub fan families aren't going to see all their kids suddenly don silver and black. But what about all those youngsters whose parents have little or no baseball allegiance. what about newcomers to Chicago? Harry Caray and WGN aren't winning these people over anymore.

miker
02-17-2006, 01:04 PM
So, predictably, the media tries to fire back with a lame "this is still a Cubs town" article.
The media being "lame"? How dare you, especially after their world-altering coverage of the Dick Cheney hunting tragedy...