PDA

View Full Version : Rumor out of Philly

mxxc3
01-30-2006, 03:39 PM
Contreras/Dye for Abreu/Floyd

This was heard on a philly sportstalk station. Don't know the validity of it, but it was reported as a rumor.

What are your thoughts?

Chicken Dinner
01-30-2006, 03:42 PM
No

SOXintheBURGH
01-30-2006, 03:49 PM
I really don't see Abreu leaving New Jersey, er Philadelphia.

sullythered
01-30-2006, 03:50 PM
I'd love to have Abreu, but I don't have any interest in Cliff Floyd. I'd definitely have to give it a pretty close look, though.

soxfan26
01-30-2006, 03:52 PM
What are your thoughts?

I'll only consider it legit if it's posted by White Sox Randy.

mjharrison72
01-30-2006, 03:53 PM
I'd love to have Abreu, but I don't have any interest in Cliff Floyd. I'd definitely have to give it a pretty close look, though.

I'm pretty sure the "Floyd in question in not Cliff, but Gavin (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7297). Not that he would be worth trading one of the best starters and best RFers (and World Series MVP) for, even if Abreu is involved, too.

Craig Grebeck
01-30-2006, 03:54 PM
It's Gavin Floyd, I'm guessing.

DaleJRFan
What are your thoughts?

Great first post!

Uncle_Patrick
I'll only consider it legit if it's posted by White Sox Randy.

Only if it comes from his mother-in-law.:D:

caulfield12
01-30-2006, 03:56 PM

They are talking about Gavin Floyd, one of the Phils´ best pitching prospects and a lefty if I remember correctly.

Essentially, they would be getting six years of Floyd at bottom-basement prices for one year of a potential Cy Young in Contreras.

Paired with McCarthy, it would allow us to free up enough cash to keep Buehrle after his contract expires...so we could theoretically have four starters (Garland, Vazquez, McCarthy and Floyd) locked up through at least 2008, in addition to keeping either Buehrle or Garcia beyond the 2007 season.

KW said he would only trade Contreras for pitching, not additional offense, although this deal would be a combination of off and def....and it would replace Gio Gonzalez-Haigwood with Floyd, essentially meaning the only player of significance not easily replaceable in our system is Chris Young.

"He's had that big league curveball since high school. He just needs more fastball command."
--NL scout
quote from BA about Gavin Floyd

Pre-season 2005, he (Floyd) was the number 35 prospect in the minor leagues. Interestingly enough, Jeremy Reed was 33 and Brian Anderson 37.

Ol' No. 2
01-30-2006, 04:00 PM
What could be more credible than a rumor off a Philadelphia sportsblab radion station?

Where's that "Not THIS Again" tag?

soxfan26
01-30-2006, 04:01 PM
Only if it comes from his mother-in-law.:D:

The only other reliable source would be a third party reporting on a cell phone conversation that their great uncle overheard in a random airport.

Unregistered
01-30-2006, 04:31 PM
What could be more credible than a rumor off a Philadelphia sportsblab radion station?

Where's that "Not THIS Again" tag?You rang?
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2629&d=1112286573

TheOldRoman
01-30-2006, 04:43 PM

Where's that "Not THIS Again" tag?
I prefer Santo's "where do they come up with this ****" tag.:cool:

Tragg
01-30-2006, 04:44 PM

This was heard on a philly sportstalk station. Don't know the validity of it, but it was reported as a rumor.

What are your thoughts?

Oh, the Philly prospect Floyd. Not cliff Floyd.
Give up Jose for an upgrade of Jermaine and a prospect. I've seen worse proposals.

caulfield12
01-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Not sure what is proposed.

We get Floyd and Abreu?

I surely hope we aren't sending Contreras for Floyd, much less Contreras and Dye for Floyd.

Straight up, two for two, it seems like it has its share of pluses and minuses for both teams....canīt imagine it would be anything BUT that

Flight #24
01-30-2006, 04:51 PM
I like this deal. Gavin Floyd was a highly rated pitcher with some MLB experience. Not a horrible insurance policy. Abreu is a star. The key is if the added contract doesn't impac the resigning of Buehrle.

Ol' No. 2
01-30-2006, 04:52 PM
Oh, the Philly prospect Floyd. Not cliff Floyd.
Give up Jose for an upgrade of Jermaine and a prospect. I've seen worse proposals.

.It wouldn't be a bad deal. Floyd blew chunks last year, but he just turned 23, and he's got some real potential. The deal has to be Contreras + Dye for Abreu + somebody. They could do worse than a decent pitching prospect that could stick in the pen and possibly start a few games. The problem is that McCarthy probably isn't ready to pitch 200+ innings. They could do this deal around June 1 so he would have a short season to work.

MUScholar21
01-30-2006, 05:19 PM

What are your thoughts?

Kenny said on Saturday during the seminar that he will not consider trading any starting pitcher unless it involves young, established pitching (this was in regards to Contreras for Tejada). He said that he had thought about other trades mentioned, but that he was not going to give up his starters for anything less. While Floyd is considered to have great potential, I don't think that is what he had in mind when KW said "established".

Ol' No. 2
01-30-2006, 05:34 PM
The Michaels-Rhodes deal may have killed this one. Gillick was going to either upgrade the rotation and bump Madson to the pen or get a reliever and let Madson start. I think the latter was what they really wanted, and the trade with Cleveland did that.

buehrle4cy05
01-30-2006, 05:38 PM
Damn, knew I shouldn't have opened this thread.:rolleyes:

Tragg
01-30-2006, 07:22 PM
It wouldn't be a bad deal. Floyd blew chunks last year, but he just turned 23, and he's got some real potential. The deal has to be Contreras + Dye for Abreu + somebody. They could do worse than a decent pitching prospect that could stick in the pen and possibly start a few games. The problem is that McCarthy probably isn't ready to pitch 200+ innings. They could do this deal around June 1 so he would have a short season to work.
I rarely like trades unless they're one-sided in our favor, so my saying "I've seen worse" means I think it's decent.
The money aspects bother me (Abreu's salary gets absurd soon; it also brings the risk of inflating the expectations of other Sox players, which isn't so quantifiable) and to stay a contender, we'll have to do deals every year - a 16M salary hampers that ability.
But for this year, we're giving up a quality pitcher for a RF upgrade (Dye is pretty good - and I thought he was even better when we put him at 3 last year - got more selective, as he knew Konerko, not Uribe, hit behind him) and a prospect;

Ol' No. 2
01-30-2006, 07:31 PM
I rarely like trades unless they're one-sided in our favor, so my saying "I've seen worse" means I think it's decent.
The money aspects bother me (Abreu's salary gets absurd soon; it also brings the risk of inflating the expectations of other Sox players, which isn't so quantifiable) and to stay a contender, we'll have to do deals every year - a 16M salary hampers that ability.
But for this year, we're giving up a quality pitcher for a RF upgrade (Dye is pretty good - and I thought he was even better when we put him at 3 last year - got more selective, as he knew Konerko, not Uribe, hit behind him) and a prospect;Abreu is only signed for two more years, so the deal's not really that bad. Next year is a wash (Abreu: $13M, Contreras: $8M, Dye: $5M). He gets $15M in 2007 with a team option for 2008 ($2M buyout). They might be able to weasel a few bucks from the Phils to make those numbers a little more reasonable. But I don't think Abreu's salary is going to hinder them all that much. And it is a BIG RF upgrade. Imagine Abreu, Konerko and Thome hitting 3-4-5.

Stoky44
01-30-2006, 07:32 PM
This trade happen yet?!

Ol' No. 2
01-30-2006, 07:42 PM
This trade happen yet?!This Wednesday for sure.

Tragg
01-30-2006, 07:58 PM
And it is a BIG RF upgrade. Imagine Abreu, Konerko and Thome hitting 3-4-5. His power is solid. He's got a great OBP, though. I guess it would be Abeu, Konerko, Thome? If we keep Dye do we go Dye-Konerko-Thome or Thome-Konerko-Dye?

samram
01-30-2006, 08:02 PM
If we keep Dye do we go Dye-Konerko-Thome or Thome-Konerko-Dye?
If we keep Dye, we go 132-30.:cool:

Edit: For some reason I read Tragg's post as having Abreu and Dye. That was incorrect. With Dye, Konerko, and Thome, I really can't see the Sox being better than 112-50.

Ol' No. 2
01-30-2006, 08:20 PM
His power is solid. He's got a great OBP, though. I guess it would be Abeu, Konerko, Thome? If we keep Dye do we go Dye-Konerko-Thome or Thome-Konerko-Dye?Lots of debate on that point. I'd go with Thome-Konerko-Dye, mainly on the strength of Thome's much higher OBP. It's almost like having a LH Frank Thomas hitting in the #3 spot, except a lot more K's.

DaleJRFan
01-30-2006, 08:24 PM
If we keep Dye, we go 132-30.:cool:

I'm right with you. I'll take my chances with Dye in the 3 hole and Contreras in the rotation, even in Jose's walk year. I want a repeat, and Contreras looks to be good for 180 IP, 16-20 Ws.

If there's an immediate need for the pale hose, its for the fifth/sixth arm out of the 'pen and not a big salary right fielder. We just ditched one of those and replaced him with the World Series MVP.

TheOldRoman
01-30-2006, 08:32 PM
We just ditched one of those and replaced him with the World Series MVP. Abreu is a much better player than Ordonez ever was. It's not even close.

Stoky44
01-30-2006, 09:00 PM
This Wednesday for sure.

Are we there yet?

Tragg
01-30-2006, 10:43 PM
Lots of debate on that point. I'd go with Thome-Konerko-Dye, mainly on the strength of Thome's much higher OBP. It's almost like having a LH Frank Thomas hitting in the #3 spot, except a lot more K's.

I ought to do a study on this, but my limited observation was that Dye was much more selective at 3 than at 5; at 5 he figures he's a better hitter than the 6 or 7, so he needs to be sure to drive the runs in; at 3, he's got Konerko behind him (and Thome).

rwcescato
01-30-2006, 10:57 PM

What are your thoughts?

I say no. The team is fine now the way it is. Lets get started.
Come ON, April 2nd.
Rich

UofCSoxFan
01-31-2006, 01:30 AM
How about Joe Borchard for a Cheesesteak from Pat's? No teal.

IowaSox1971
01-31-2006, 01:55 AM
This would not be a good trade.

To begin with, I would rather have Dye than Abreu. Dye is the perfect type of player to have on our team. He plays good defense, is a great teammate, does the little things and can hit in the clutch. He had more homers than any other right fielder in baseball last season, and he was the World Series MVP. He also does not have a huge ego and he has shown that he can come through in big games.

Abreu, on the other hand, has never been to the playoffs, and despite being in a few pennant races, he has never led his team to the postseason. Is he a good player when the pressure is on? I don't care about getting a player with good stats or a home run derby champion. I want to win a World Series again, and Dye probably would help us do that more than Abreu would. Would Abreu have settled for getting a ground-ball game-winning single off Lidge in Game 4 of the World Series? Or would he have struck out by trying to belt the ball out of the park? How did Abreu do in the second half of last season when the Phillies were trying to get into the playoffs?

The other part of the deal is laughable. Contreras for a prospect? Hello? Who started Game 1 of each postseason series for us last year? And we're just going to get rid of him for a prospect who could very well turn out to be the next Scott Ruffcorn? Look, guys who can start effectively in Game 1 of a postseason series are rare. Pitching prospects are not.

samram
01-31-2006, 08:34 AM
Would Abreu have settled for getting a ground-ball game-winning single off Lidge in Game 4 of the World Series?

Yes.

Captian Ron
01-31-2006, 09:17 AM
How about Joe Borchard for a Cheesesteak from Pat's? No teal.

IN A HEART BEAT!!!

Flight #24
01-31-2006, 09:52 AM
The Michaels-Rhodes deal may have killed this one. Gillick was going to either upgrade the rotation and bump Madson to the pen or get a reliever and let Madson start. I think the latter was what they really wanted, and the trade with Cleveland did that.

Which would bring me to a better deal for the Sox: Contreras+Dye for Abreu+Madson. Madson's been pretty good in the 'pen, and can become the insurance starter. It's kind of like adding another Neal Cotts(who I still believe the Sox have slated to start within 2 years). There's your established major league pitcher - he's an established young reliever with IIRC, a solid starting history in the minors.

Fenway
01-31-2006, 10:08 AM

What are your thoughts?

How do these things get started

on one of the main Phillies boards

A bogus rumor from the other board (http://www.philaphans.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=36135) ( http://www.philaphans.com/forums/images/multipage.gif 1 (http://www.philaphans.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=36135&perpage=15&pagenumber=1) 2 (http://www.philaphans.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=36135&perpage=15&pagenumber=2) )
A bogus rumor from the other board
some guy with 3 posts wrote this and I am 100 % sure it is false, but I will post it for discussion sake

Abreu and Floyd to the Sox for Contreras and Jermaine Dye. The trade actually makes sense. We would need an of in return since we traded Michaels and Dye is also rh. I would strongly consider it, but the Abrologists are up in arms about it.

White Sox Randy
01-31-2006, 10:13 AM
My mother-in-law says the Sox won't do this trade because Floyd's from Annapolis and she said the movie "sucked ****" in her words.

My money says that Contreras stays with the Sox atleast until July if not the whole season.

Baby Fisk
01-31-2006, 10:17 AM
My mother-in-law says the Sox won't do this trade because Floyd's from Annapolis and she said the movie "sucked ****" in her words.

:rolling: Nice.

Ol' No. 2
01-31-2006, 10:19 AM
Which would bring me to a better deal for the Sox: Contreras+Dye for Abreu+Madson. Madson's been pretty good in the 'pen, and can become the insurance starter. It's kind of like adding another Neal Cotts(who I still believe the Sox have slated to start within 2 years). There's your established major league pitcher - he's an established young reliever with IIRC, a solid starting history in the minors.That would be a great deal. But first, I think you'd need to get Gillick a few whacks with this.
:bong:

Stoky44
01-31-2006, 10:26 AM
This rumor has to be true, check out mlbtraderumors.com I think we got something here.

Flight #24
01-31-2006, 10:46 AM
That would be a great deal. But first, I think you'd need to get Gillick a few whacks with this.
:bong:

:rowand
"Secret Agent reporting for duty, sir! I'll take care of it - you know I'll always bleed silver & black!"

munchman33
01-31-2006, 11:06 AM
This trade would be a best case scenerio for us. And a terrible trade for the Phillies, with Contreras and Dye in walk years.

No way it happens. Gillick isn't that stupid.

caulfield12
01-31-2006, 11:47 AM
This trade would be a best case scenerio for us. And a terrible trade for the Phillies, with Contreras and Dye in walk years.

We have an option on Dye for next season if: 1) we want to keep him, 2) thereīs nobody better available and he has another healthy season and 3) Ryan Sweeney shows no power in AA or AAA again this year, although he should be completely healthy coming into this campaign

IowaSox1971
01-31-2006, 01:02 PM

It doesn't matter if they're in their walk years or not. Are we going for another World Series title in 2006 or are we playing for the future? If we're going for another title in 2006, as I assume we are, then let's keep Contreras and Dye. These guys know how to win a championship.

Taliesinrk
01-31-2006, 01:57 PM

If they're trying to get younger and rebuild, then this isn't necessarily a bad move by the Phils. Yeah, they give up a young highly touted prospect, but they get rid of Abreu's contract, and are free a lot of money next year... it's not like we're giving them Jaime Navarro and Ellis Burks either..

Ol' No. 2
01-31-2006, 02:23 PM
If they're trying to get younger and rebuild, then this isn't necessarily a bad move by the Phils. Yeah, they give up a young highly touted prospect, but they get rid of Abreu's contract, and are free a lot of money next year... it's not like we're giving them Jaime Navarro and Ellis Burks either..Good young pitching is the rarest of baseball commodities. You never, ever trade away good young pitching. No way the Phils trade Madson.

munchman33
01-31-2006, 02:36 PM
It doesn't matter if they're in their walk years or not. Are we going for another World Series title in 2006 or are we playing for the future?

Can't it be both? I'm pretty sure this trade works both ways for us.

caulfield12
01-31-2006, 03:09 PM
Can't it be both? I'm pretty sure this trade works both ways for us.

Well Madson would be an obvious replacement for Vizcaino, but that does not solve our LH relief issue.

Then again, you are talking about the last few spots on the team, even though Madson has lots of potential.

Contreras was arguably the most important pitcher on the team, even the most important player PERIOD, for the last six weeks and then getting some very solid starts from him in the playoffs and WS. I donīt think the spread between Dye and Abreu (some would argue Dye straight up) offensively can compensate for what would lose on the pitching side. Madson or Floyd could be great down the line, but theyīre not quite ready to be counted on yet in the heat of a pennant race, that much is for sure.

gr8mexico
01-31-2006, 10:49 PM
Well something else from MLBTRADERUMORS.COM :?: White Sox Interested In Abreu

Remember that Abreu/Contreras/Dye rumor that was bouncing around last night (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2006/01/unfounded_rumor_1.html) that couldn't quite graduate from the Unfounded category? We're a little closer to a foundation about this one tonight.
A very solid source close to the Phillies tells me that Kenny Williams and the White Sox "love" Bobby Abreu (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/A/bobby-abreu.shtml). It's the first I've heard that the club is truly interested in the right fielder. He also mentioned that the Phils would like a pitcher like Jose Contreras (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/C/jose-contreras.shtml). There is some question as to whether the Phils would need to include Gavin Floyd (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/F/gavin-floyd.shtml) to make an equitable deal.
He said that with the White Sox payroll rising to over $90MM, they can't take on much more. However, I've heard in the past from my White Sox guy that the Sox would actually take the payroll to $105MM. What's more, the 2006 salaries of Dye, Contreras, and Abreu are a wash. The Phils would take on $13MM and the White Sox would do the same.
The Sox would have to squeeze a marginal $11MM into their payroll in 2007. Abreu is owed $17MM for that season (including a $2MM buyout of his '08 option). But given that the club likely would have exercised Jermaine Dye (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/D/jermaine-dye.shtml)'s affordable $6MM option, it's a marginal $11 mil for '07.
This would clearly be a win now move for the Phils, as it would strengthen their team for 2006. The combination of Contreras and Dye was worth 10.5 wins above replacement players in 2005. Abreu was worth 6.8 wins. While he still has potential at age 23, Gavin Floyd (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/F/gavin-floyd.shtml) can't be counted on for much after posting a 6.16 ERA and 1.61 WHIP in 137 Triple A innings in 2005.
Another interesting nugget is the close friendship (http://www.rstn.tv/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20050219&content_id=946507&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp) between Abreu and Ozzie Guillen. Guillen certainly had some influence on the acquisition and retention of Freddy Garcia (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/G/freddy-garcia.shtml).

munchman33
01-31-2006, 11:08 PM

Remember that Abreu/Contreras/Dye rumor that was bouncing around last night (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2006/01/unfounded_rumor_1.html) that couldn't quite graduate from the Unfounded category? We're a little closer to a foundation about this one tonight.
A very solid source close to the Phillies tells me that Kenny Williams and the White Sox "love" Bobby Abreu (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/A/bobby-abreu.shtml). It's the first I've heard that the club is truly interested in the right fielder. He also mentioned that the Phils would like a pitcher like Jose Contreras (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/C/jose-contreras.shtml). There is some question as to whether the Phils would need to include Gavin Floyd (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/F/gavin-floyd.shtml) to make an equitable deal.
He said that with the White Sox payroll rising to over $90MM, they can't take on much more. However, I've heard in the past from my White Sox guy that the Sox would actually take the payroll to $105MM. What's more, the 2006 salaries of Dye, Contreras, and Abreu are a wash. The Phils would take on $13MM and the White Sox would do the same.
The Sox would have to squeeze a marginal $11MM into their payroll in 2007. Abreu is owed $17MM for that season (including a $2MM buyout of his '08 option). But given that the club likely would have exercised Jermaine Dye (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/D/jermaine-dye.shtml)'s affordable $6MM option, it's a marginal $11 mil for '07.
This would clearly be a win now move for the Phils, as it would strengthen their team for 2006. The combination of Contreras and Dye was worth 10.5 wins above replacement players in 2005. Abreu was worth 6.8 wins. While he still has potential at age 23, Gavin Floyd (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/F/gavin-floyd.shtml) can't be counted on for much after posting a 6.16 ERA and 1.61 WHIP in 137 Triple A innings in 2005.
Another interesting nugget is the close friendship (http://www.rstn.tv/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20050219&content_id=946507&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp) between Abreu and Ozzie Guillen. Guillen certainly had some influence on the acquisition and retention of Freddy Garcia (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/G/freddy-garcia.shtml).

Dude, your "sources" have never been right. Don't trust that site. That they told you this is a good indication that this deal will not go down.

Flight #24
01-31-2006, 11:11 PM

The only part of this deal that makes sense really is that Ozzie & Abreu are countrymen, and supposedly are good friends. IIRC Bobby went through some rough personal stuff a year or 2 ago and Ozzie was one of the guys who helped him through it (along with Urbina).

Great move for the Sox if it happens. Abreu >> Dye (and that's no knock on Jermaine). You basically "lose" the differentials between Contreras & McCarthy (not huge IMO), and McCarthy/Floyd as your insurance SP (far greater, but good long-term potential).

For the Phils, not sure it makes great sense, but I suppose they can rationalize 2 years of Dye and 1 of Contreras for 2 of Abreu. Hard to believe that can't find a better deal though.

DaleJRFan
02-01-2006, 08:51 AM
in the comments section from the original MLBTradeRumors.com post, you can find this gem:

I've been a Cubs fan all my life, but I have grown weary of supporting such a lousy franchise. After watching the Sox win the World Series and improve this offseason, and then watch the Cubs sign bums like J Jones, I'm leaning towards making the big switch. It just seems brighter on the south side of town.

Posted by: Mike Diviero | January 31, 2006 at 10:41 PM

Am I flubsessed? Hell no... this is too funny. Ok, maybe a little flubsessed... :redneck