A good article by Rob Neyer.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/neyer_rob/42798.html

FarWestChicago
01-05-2002, 05:15 PM
:tool

I didn't like that article.

Jerry_Manuel
01-05-2002, 05:36 PM
Daver I can see right through this trap if yours. The only reason why you liked this article was because Neyer used the phrase "That dog won't hunt".

Paulwny
01-05-2002, 06:39 PM
"Huizenga owns Sportschannel, which broadcast Marlins games. And as you might expect, the Huizenga-owned Sportschannel paid below-market value for the rights to broadcast baseball games played by the Huizenga-owned Marlins"

Teams lose money, cable companies have huge profits.
Owners will NEVER open their books.

Daver
01-05-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
"Huizenga owns Sportschannel, which broadcast Marlins games. And as you might expect, the Huizenga-owned Sportschannel paid below-market value for the rights to broadcast baseball games played by the Huizenga-owned Marlins"

Sounds awfully similar to a certain baseball team on the North side of Chicago,which will remain nameless.

Huisj
01-06-2002, 01:17 AM
Yeah, I found it funny how people started hootin and hollerin when it was announced that the braves and the cubs, who have their games shown all over the country, had smaller broadcast revanue than teams like the sox. Well, duh, why pay a whole bunch of money when it's really all the same ownership anyways??? did the owners think people are too dumb to realized that when wgn pays the cubs for broadcasting rights, they are paying themselves? (same thing in atlanta) This whole situation sucks, no one will tell a full truth about anything to anyone.

Daver
01-06-2002, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Huisj
This whole situation sucks, no one will tell a full truth about anything to anyone.
I will tell you the truth but do you want to hear it?

SOXSINCE'70
01-06-2002, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Huisj
Yeah, I found it funny how people started hootin and hollerin when it was announced that the braves and the cubs, who have their games shown all over the country, had smaller broadcast revanue than teams like the sox. Well, duh, why pay a whole bunch of money when it's really all the same ownership anyways??? did the owners think people are too dumb to realized that when wgn pays the cubs for broadcasting rights, they are paying themselves? (same thing in atlanta) This whole situation sucks, no one will tell a full truth about anything to anyone.

Perhaps this would be a good time to conjure up a phrase Jack Nicholson used in "A Few Good Men":

"You want the truth?!?! You can't handle the truth!!!"

Stop Scumbagotti before he writes again!!

RichH55
01-07-2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by daver

I will tell you the truth but do you want to hear it?

Well what I do know is that when the Pittsburgh Penguins went bankrupt(in the NHL mind you, much worse than MLB in terms of finances) they had to show books that would be held up to the law of the land....guess who was profittable? The sad part of this is that by Bud the Tool covering up what everyone can see is a lie he lessens the chances to really do something about the problems that baseball really does have. :(: