PDA

View Full Version : Mackowiak at SS?

caulfield12
01-30-2006, 04:36 PM
I guess anything is possible after watching some of the defenses we saw last year...it was mentioned in the Daily Southtown today that he could play every position but pitcher and catcher.

Mackowiak career games by position

1B...5 games
2B...59 games
3B...167 games
LF...46 games
CF...110 games
RF...232 games

Apparently, RF and CF are his favorite positions. Obviously, very good insurance for Crede and Dye...has anyone seen him play 2B recently? How would you characterize his play there?

soxinem1
01-30-2006, 05:17 PM
Apparently, RF and CF are his favorite positions. Obviously, very good insurance for Crede and Dye...has anyone seen him play 2B recently? How would you characterize his play there?

About as well as Dye plays SS. :rolleyes:

A friend of mine in Pittsburgh says he looks like he should be okay there, but was brutal when he did play 2B.

He said he plays worse than Steve Lyons did for us at 2B in the late 80's.

TDog
01-31-2006, 12:26 AM
I saw Robin Ventura play shortstop once.

caulfield12
01-31-2006, 09:33 AM
I saw Robin Ventura play shortstop once.

Was it Daubach or Ordonez that played CF a couple of years ago? That was not good...although Ross Gload is hardly better.

I think Kevin Reimer was one of the worst I ever saw....maybe Incaviglia.

ondafarm
01-31-2006, 11:52 AM
If Mackowiak has difficulties at 2B, then I wouldn't think of him as a good SS at all. Generally, 2B, SS (and CF) require the player to be better at backpedaling than coming in. 3B, 1B, RF and LF are more about charging in.

SS and 2B are the two highest mobility positions and require the most intelligence, experience and quick reactions in baseball, mostly in that order.) Not that other positions don't require these but those two positions have the greatest requirements (see Minnesota Twins, 2005 to see what subpar middle infielders will do to a team.)