PDA

View Full Version : Our biggest concern for 2006

Fake Chet Lemon
01-30-2006, 02:04 PM
Kenny hinted Saturday at SoxFest that he was done unless something really bowled him over.

So assuming we are done our biggest concern has to be Outfield. This could be the season that Jermaine Dye, looking at his history, could spend some time on the DL. Should Dye get hurt or just not be as productive as last year, we could have the WORST OUTFIELD IN THE AL. I love Pods, but he has no power, Anderson is a rookie, and Dye would be replaced by another rookie, either Owens or Borchard. Not too impressive of an outfield. Putting Mack out there every day makes our bench very weak.

Bottom line, if your biggest concern is injuries and not actual holes, you have a strong team. We do. But if I have to pick our biggest concern, that's it IMO.

redsand22
01-30-2006, 02:10 PM
Kenny hinted Saturday at SoxFest that he was done unless something really bowled him over.

So assuming we are done our biggest concern has to be Outfield. This could be the season that Jermaine Dye, looking at his history, could spend some time on the DL. Should Dye get hurt or just not be as productive as last year, we could have the WORST OUTFIELD IN THE AL. I love Pods, but he has no power, Anderson is a rookie, and Dye would be replaced by another rookie, either Owens or Borchard. Not too impressive of an outfield. Putting Mack out there every day makes our bench very weak.

Bottom line, if your biggest concern is injuries and not actual holes, you have a strong team. We do. But if I have to pick our biggest concern, that's it IMO. I agree with you, but that is what we have that stable of pitchers for. If an outfielder goes down, we use Jose as trade bait. Or just do it now and get Abreau ;)

soxfan13
01-30-2006, 02:45 PM
My biggest concern would be injuries to the pitching staff they more or less made it thru 2005 injury free

SoxFan76
01-30-2006, 02:59 PM
My biggest concern is the bullpen. Politte had a career year and I'm kind of nervous to see if he can come close to his 2005 numbers. Cotts also had a career year, but he's young and he may of finally reached his potential.

Jenks won't have my confidence until he shows he can overcome the "sophomore slump" that affects so many pitchers. He didn't even pitch a whole season in 05, but I believe he can be a solid closer for the Sox. If not? Cotts, Politte, Hermanson, there are other options. Hell, even McCarthy! (Just an idea, not saying he should be the closer!)

Then there are the 2 spots in the 'pen that are up for grabs. Maybe I was just spoiled last season with Viz being the last guy in the pen. He's a setup man if not a closer for many other teams. (Yeah Viz haters, if you actually look at the numbers he was pretty solid, and that isn't basing it off 1 game.)

The Sox got rid of the last 2 guys in the pen, which you think would be good based on the principle of addition by subtraction, but who are you replacing them with? Javier Lopez? Randolph? Baj? I'd personally take Viz and....M....I can't say it! Just kidding, Marte over 2 unproven guys any day. Yes, even Marte. :redface:

Hermanson's a tough you-know-what, but his back scares me. I have a feeling Cotts, Politte, and Jenks are going to be pitching a lot of innings in 06.

Please don't call me a dark cloud, I think these are all legitimate concerns.

ilsox7
01-30-2006, 03:01 PM
You don't keep Rob on the bench just so that your bench is strong. He becomes a full-time starter and therefore your bench is weak. A weak bench is much preferable to a weak starting outfield.

ondafarm
01-30-2006, 03:05 PM
I think any injuries, apart from starting pitching, which seems to have an insurance policy (BMac), would be serious, but not fatal. I think the Sox have generally good depth but adding another lefty in the pen (perhaps from within the org) and another utility guy doesn't hurt.

Kuzman
01-30-2006, 03:37 PM
The Sox got rid of the last 2 guys in the pen, which you think would be good based on the principle of addition by subtraction, but who are you replacing them with? Javier Lopez? Randolph? Baj? I'd personally take Viz and....M....I can't say it! Just kidding, Marte over 2 unproven guys any day. Yes, even Marte. :redface:

I don't think they plan on using 6 starters. Thus McCarthy would go to the pen replacing Vizcaino, so all they really need is another lefty to fill in for Damaso Marte

Tekijawa
01-30-2006, 03:39 PM
Health...

'nuff said!

itsnotrequired
01-30-2006, 03:42 PM
Health...

'nuff said!

Pretty much a concern for every team. The only guys I really worry about are Pods, Hermanson, Crede and Thome. Not that they won't be healed up come Opening Day but rather they now have a "track record" for being injured. I always look on the bright side but its hard to ignore the past.

soxfanatlanta
01-30-2006, 03:45 PM
I think historically, bullpens are always the biggest concern for every GM. Very few teams have a lights out closer, and even fewer have consistent setup men. The bullpen last year did a very good job, but that was a function of the starters going deep into the ballgames.

If the big 5 cannot give same quality starts this year, then the bullpen, with the question marks it has, could be in for a hard September when they are gunning for a good playoff spot. KW does have leverage with some trade bait to solidify things at the end of the season, so I am not too concerned.

My biggest fear is whether I'm going to see then in Tampa for a game or two; vacation time is tight this year :smile:

dickallen15
01-30-2006, 03:48 PM
My biggest concern is the bullpen. Politte had a career year and I'm kind of nervous to see if he can come close to his 2005 numbers. Cotts also had a career year, but he's young and he may of finally reached his potential.

Jenks won't have my confidence until he shows he can overcome the "sophomore slump" that affects so many pitchers. He didn't even pitch a whole season in 05, but I believe he can be a solid closer for the Sox. If not? Cotts, Politte, Hermanson, there are other options. Hell, even McCarthy! (Just an idea, not saying he should be the closer!)

Then there are the 2 spots in the 'pen that are up for grabs. Maybe I was just spoiled last season with Viz being the last guy in the pen. He's a setup man if not a closer for many other teams. (Yeah Viz haters, if you actually look at the numbers he was pretty solid, and that isn't basing it off 1 game.)

Hermanson's a tough you-know-what, but his back scares me. I have a feeling Cotts, Politte, and Jenks are going to be pitching a lot of innings in 06.

Please don't call me a dark cloud, I think these are all legitimate concerns.

I ditto this response. Hermanson supposedly feels good, but he hasn't thrown since he said he may have to retire. Jenks looked great last year, but he does have a screw in his elbow. Politte was great, but he seems to be one of those relievers that has up and down years. Cotts moves into a different role. BMac has been a starter, the rest of the bullpen will be totally unproven. As long as the bullpen works itself out, the White Sox should be alright, even if a starting pitcher, or position player goes down, or has a bad year.

caulfield12
01-30-2006, 03:54 PM

Bottom line, if your biggest concern is injuries and not actual holes, you have a strong team. We do. But if I have to pick our biggest concern, that's it IMO.

The biggest hole would be an injury to Uribe, because then we would be left with Pedro Lopez and-or Rob Valido, and trying to defend a WS title.

Of course, the bullpen is an obvious concern as well, followed closely to injuries to Thome or Dye. We do have Borchard, Owens and Sweeney, among others, but you do not want to play two rookies. Then again, Mackowiak would be the first option out there anyway, but our bench, as mentioned, would be seriously depleted.

Even then, our bench last year was probably amongst the 5-10 worst in the majors in overall production and we still won...especially Perez and Harris.

fquaye149
01-30-2006, 06:52 PM
My biggest concern is the bullpen. '

DING DING DING, we have a winner.

Although the reasons aren't quite what you listed.

Cotts and Jenks have my confidence. Surprisingly, so does Vizcaino (only insomuch as I'm confident he won't decline in quality since last season).

However, is Hermanson healthy? Can Politte get back the velocity he lost toward the end of the season? Can we find a lefty out of the pen besides Cotts? How is McCarthy going to fare in a new role?

These are questions I'm concerned about. Certainly this is a bigger issue than a good defensive outfield that shouldn't need to produce ALL that much offensively, given the otherwise talent of our lineup.

ilsox7
01-30-2006, 06:56 PM
'

DING DING DING, we have a winner.

Although the reasons aren't quite what you listed.

Cotts and Jenks have my confidence. Surprisingly, so does Vizcaino (only insomuch as I'm confident he won't decline in quality since last season).

However, is Hermanson healthy? Can Politte get back the velocity he lost toward the end of the season? Can we find a lefty out of the pen besides Cotts? How is McCarthy going to fare in a new role?

These are questions I'm concerned about. Certainly this is a bigger issue than a good defensive outfield that shouldn't need to produce ALL that much offensively, given the otherwise talent of our lineup.

Viz is no longer on the White Sox.

TheKittle
01-30-2006, 07:03 PM
Jenks coming to spring training looking like Lamar Hoyt or Bob James.

Hitmen77
01-30-2006, 08:51 PM
The bullpen is my biggest concern too. We don't know if Hermanson will be healthy and Jenks has only pitched in the big leagues for a couple of months and hasn't proved himself over the long haul yet.

Not as big of a concern, but a big question mark for me is how Javier Vazquez will perform. He was once an All-Star, but hasn't been the same since mid-2004. Can he return to his old form? What caused his dropoff in performance over the last 1.5 seasons?

I'm starting to believe the hype that Thome is ready to go and is expected to be healthy this season. I hope that's right.

fquaye149
01-30-2006, 08:55 PM
Viz is no longer on the White Sox.

d'oh

Lip Man 1
01-30-2006, 09:05 PM
It's the bullpen in my opinion.

I trust Kenny but I wish he would have picked up a few of the many veterans available for bullpen work this off season.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
01-30-2006, 09:15 PM
Put me down for the bullpen, too. I'm not worried about Jenks and Cotts. But Politte had a career year - what's the odds he'll repeat that? And Hermanson's back is still iffy. We don't know how McCarthy will adjust to pitching out of the pen. So you've got two pretty sure things, a decent pitcher, a couple of question marks and after that...???? One more good veteran would do it.

esbrechtel
01-30-2006, 11:56 PM
im gonna go with the outfield...as much as rowands bat was iffy i knew if a ball went to center if he wasnt gonna catch it he was going to be very close...also if thome isnt healthy who do we have to DH....any one know? is mackowiack gonna have to start lifting weights or is paulie going to have to DH and mack play first? we dont NEED to have a good DH but it would be nice....

hawkjt
01-31-2006, 12:35 AM
I miss Vizzy and Marte already. Say what you want , they both had power arms that could go out there to the bump often. Hard to replace.

I am really starting to figure out that the true realization of what the sox accomplished last year will not hit til we are struggling this year to stay above .500. It is damn hard to win in this league and I have a bad feeling about so many elements of our club right now. Injuries, excessive innings, bad backs from Joe and Dusty, the outfield, schedule, Cliff's velocity, Bobby's velocity in back to backs, slow starts by PK,Gooch's slow bat, Juan's strikeouts, Tim Raines hamstring, Borchard's s/o's ect.

It is gonna be a long,tough year.

SoxFan76
01-31-2006, 04:15 AM
im gonna go with the outfield...as much as rowands bat was iffy i knew if a ball went to center if he wasnt gonna catch it he was going to be very close...also if thome isnt healthy who do we have to DH....any one know? is mackowiack gonna have to start lifting weights or is paulie going to have to DH and mack play first? we dont NEED to have a good DH but it would be nice....

A DH doesn't really have to be a big bat. Dye is a run producer, as is Konerko--obviously. Ozzie said the DH doesn't have to be a big bopper as long as that person can play Ozzie's type of baseball.

bigdommer
01-31-2006, 08:16 AM

That comment is nonsense. JD has played over 131 games in 6 of the past 7 years. By this logic, we would have the worst catcher in the AL if AJ gets hurt, the worst DH in the AL if Thome gets hurt, and the worst left side of the infield in the AL if Crede and Uribe get hurt. Because of the 25 man roster and a limited payroll, it is impossible to carry backups that have the same abilities as the starters.

If we have a question mark coming into this year, I would have to agree with the majority that it is the bullpen. Then again, this is a question mark for almost every team (except maybe the Angels): Cleveland lost Howry/Rhodes, NYY lost Gordon, Twins lost Romero, Boston's pen is awful, and the A's Street is young like Jenks.

kevin57
01-31-2006, 08:39 AM
bullpen vote here

And I DON'T miss Viz and Marte because I would like another arm (preferably a lefty) in there.

That said, I also agree with the post that very few teams have stronger bullpens than we do right now.

Fake Chet Lemon
01-31-2006, 09:14 AM
That comment is nonsense. JD has played over 131 games in 6 of the past 7 years. By this logic, we would have the worst catcher in the AL if AJ gets hurt, the worst DH in the AL if Thome gets hurt, and the worst left side of the infield in the AL if Crede and Uribe get hurt. Because of the 25 man roster and a limited payroll, it is impossible to carry backups that have the same abilities as the starters.

But you are basically talking individual POSITIONS. I'm saying we could have the worst OUTFIELD.

I just don't get all the people scared to death about our bullpen when we have Big-Bobby, Cotts, Hermanson, Politte and McCarthy. That's crazy to pick all that over our outfield as a concern.

Jjav829
01-31-2006, 09:17 AM
I'd have to go along with injuries. We got pretty lucky last year by not having many players we were really counting on suffer injuries. I'm not sure what the chances are of having that happen again.

The bullpen worries me a bit, but it is a bullpen. It's always going to be sort of unpredictable. You never know when a Chad Bentz, Tim Redding or Stephen Randolph will suddenly have a good year. Besides, I'm sure that if the bullpen struggles too much, or we find that 2 or 3 guys have to relied on heavily due to depth issues, Kenny will be working the phones for bullpen help in May.

Ol' No. 2
01-31-2006, 10:07 AM
But you are basically talking individual POSITIONS. I'm saying we could have the worst OUTFIELD.

I just don't get all the people scared to death about our bullpen when we have Big-Bobby, Cotts, Hermanson, Politte and McCarthy. That's crazy to pick all that over our outfield as a concern.How in the world could they have the worst outfield in the AL? Anderson is, if anything, a better defender than Rowand. Mackowiak may not be GG caliber, but Dye isn't anymore, either. Mackowiak is at least average in RF.

kevin57
01-31-2006, 10:11 AM
I'd have to go along with injuries. We got pretty lucky last year by not having many players we were really counting on suffer injuries. I'm not sure what the chances are of having that happen again.

Don't forget about Frank being out most of the year. Can you imagine if Frank did have a "Frank year" last year? We might have been a 110 W team.

SoxSpeed22
01-31-2006, 10:13 AM
Injuries definitely, and if those new guys in the pen cause trouble early.

ondafarm
01-31-2006, 10:58 AM
I miss Vizzy and Marte already. Say what you want , they both had power arms that could go out there to the bump often. Hard to replace.

And one of them pitched like the pitching machine (80 mph breaking stuff hanging over the center of the plate.)

Realist
01-31-2006, 12:53 PM
I look at injuries as being a built in big concern for every team in every sport, as well it should be.

Beyond that, I'm not excited about the bullpen like I was last February. I'm hopeful and I have my fingers crossed.

lostletters
01-31-2006, 12:55 PM
Probably the bullpen.
I am pretty confident though that if JC does get traded, it will probably be for a couple of quality relievers.

My concern is not necessarily for Cotts, Jenks, McCarthy, or Politte. But the question of whether Hermanson is healthy, and somebody to fill Marte's role. (Not really that concerned about Viz, I think there may be enough right handed pitchers in the white sox system to replace him, also a righty is not to tough to get in a trade.) Replacing Marte on the other hand is difficult, lefty relievers are hard to come by, though Marte was quickly degrading and I think he was lying about his health.

That being said I am not sure enough credit is being given for Cooper, AJ or Widger of why the pitching staff did so well. I am not sure if there will be so much of a slump because a huge part of the success of the pitching staff had to do with the three guys who did not throw a single strike. But the guy who worked with the pitchers, and the guys who called pitches. Having a couple of Veteran catchers can help make good pitchers great, and middle of the road pitchers good. Jack McDowell commented on how Fisk was a huge part of his success with the White Sox, and AJ is a similiar catcher in terms of his knowledge base (AJ is probably the best pitch caller in MLB).

sullythered
01-31-2006, 01:04 PM
Depth in the bullpen is a concern. I like our top guys (Cotts, Hermie, Cliff, Bobby) but there's not a ton after that. We need innings eaters out of the pen. And, of course, the health of the starting staff is the most important thing.

Rooney4Prez56
01-31-2006, 01:08 PM
I'm still concerned about Jon Garland. He had a great year last year, but he's been .500 for most of his career. If he has another good year, than the Sox are in good shape.

Fake Chet Lemon
01-31-2006, 02:02 PM
Depth in the bullpen is a concern. I like our top guys (Cotts, Hermie, Cliff, Bobby) but there's not a ton after that. We need innings eaters out of the pen. And, of course, the health of the starting staff is the most important thing.

We "need inning eaters" in our bullpen.......with our staff? May I recommend watching the 2005 ALCS :D: ? I love your "8th day" tag!

Fake Chet Lemon
01-31-2006, 02:08 PM
How in the world could they have the worst outfield in the AL? .

I meant offensively IF Dye gets hurt. I just think we need another decent veteran on the roster who is a corner outfielder with a little pop.

If Borchard ever decides to be more than a AAAA player, this would be a heck of a year for him to do it. We need that depth.

caulfield12
01-31-2006, 04:03 PM
I meant offensively IF Dye gets hurt. I just think we need another decent veteran on the roster who is a corner outfielder with a little pop.

If Borchard ever decides to be more than a AAAA player, this would be a heck of a year for him to do it. We need that depth.

Having Mackowiak and Ryan Sweeney as back-ups is much better than Timo Perez and Armando Rios.

I think this is the year Sweeney breaks out and everyone starts asking if we should keep Dye for one more year (2008 option) or give Sweeney the job. A lot depends on what happens with Anderson and Owens, obviously.

soxinem1
01-31-2006, 07:51 PM

I am really starting to figure out that the true realization of what the sox accomplished last year will not hit til we are struggling this year to stay above .500. It is damn hard to win in this league and I have a bad feeling about so many elements of our club right now. Injuries, excessive innings, bad backs from Joe and Dusty, the outfield, schedule, Cliff's velocity, Bobby's velocity in back to backs, slow starts by PK,Gooch's slow bat, Juan's strikeouts, Tim Raines hamstring, Borchard's s/o's ect.

Tim Raines hamstring? Is he the fifth OF? :smile:

I for one am VERY concerned about this bullpen. In fact, I might have traded Pollite instead of Viz just because of career performance. Viz had one rough year ERA wise in his career, and one really bad inning as a White Sox, while Cliff was over 2 runs a game lower that his career numbers, he seemed to lose the confident FB he had the first half.

Health is really only part of the story, just from the law of averages I don't see this group showing that kind of dominance again.

Collectively, as with any relievers, ERA does not always tell the full story of how effective they are. But Hermie, Cotts, and Cliff combined for an ERA under 2.00 last year, more than twice as low as the group had in their careers. And we cannot assume McCarthy will be no better than Wilson Alvarez was in 1992 when he pitched in the long relief/spot starter role.

I think KW did a good job retooling the team, but he passed on a few guys like Rudy Seanez, Roberto Hernandez, Chris Hammond, Dan Miceli, and Jeff Nelson (stop the fan fighting banter on Nelson, it's not like we haven't had our share of problem children over the years) who still possess good stuff (Roberto and Rudy are still throwing very hard) and could have helped. Maybe Josh Fogg can come back as a reliever.

Hopefully, KW can pull a rabbit or two out of his hat.

delben91
01-31-2006, 08:16 PM

You're right, I'm gonna see if I can trade in my season tickets.

I'll agree with the bullpen concerns, but I'm not as worried as most on this thread sound. If there are no injuries (big if), I don't think our bullpen is going to need to give us huge innings. I believe the Sox had the most IP by their starters of any team in the AL last year, so "innings eaters" in the pen probably would be under utilized.

Let's just get spring training here so we can see what we have in the Bentz, Randolph, Lopez, Redding crew. This year's group 4 maybe?

Lillian
02-02-2006, 09:16 AM
This thread started with expressed concerns for our 4th OF or DH bench player. Why isn't anyone considering Ben Grieve. He is still only 30, and except for his injury riddeled 2003, he has had some pretty decent stats over his career. Remember that he was only 21 when he broke in with the A's, and was very productive at that young age. I like his career OBP. I know that he is not considered a very good outfielder, but his left handed bat should be a huge upgrade over Timo, and he could certainly fill in as a DH if Thome or Konerko should go down. I frankly like his chances of making the team better than I do Borchards, although I'd love to see Joe succeed.
Do you guys think that Grieve will make the team?

Hangar18
02-02-2006, 10:33 AM
This thread started with expressed concerns for our 4th OF or DH bench player. Why isn't anyone considering Ben Grieve?

Because hes an ex-cub, heh heh

Lillian
02-02-2006, 11:19 AM
36 AB's over two seasons as a Cub is hardly a reason to dismiss the possibility of him as one of the "Good Guys". So seriously, what do you think?

HomeFish
02-02-2006, 11:43 AM
There's injury prone and then there's bad luck. I think Dye is the former, so I don't worry about him more than I worry about any other player being injured.

What does worry me, however, is two things:

1) The Starting Rotation
2) The Bullpen

Our starting rotation played way over their heads last year and have put up a lot of innings in the past two seasons. If they either revert to their historical norms or get worn out from all that work, then Ruben Sierra or Grady Sizemore is going to be spraying their teammates with champange come September.

Moreover, the bullpen is still depleted, guys in it have the same issue of having played above their historic norms the past year, and of course, as you all know by now, I'm personally unsold on Hermanson's health.

delben91
02-02-2006, 12:19 PM
There's injury prone and then there's bad luck. I think Dye is the former, so I don't worry about him more than I worry about any other player being injured.

1) The Starting Rotation
2) The Bullpen

Our starting rotation played way over their heads last year and have put up a lot of innings in the past two seasons. If they either revert to their historical norms or get worn out from all that work, then Ruben Sierra or Grady Sizemore is going to be spraying their teammates with champange come September.

Moreover, the bullpen is still depleted, guys in it have the same issue of having played above their historic norms the past year, and of course, as you all know by now, I'm personally unsold on Hermanson's health.

I see what you're saying, but I think you might be a bit general in your statements. In the starting rotation, I think we can safely say that Buehrle and Garcia weren't above their historical norms. Garland and Contreras do fit that bill, and I'm more inclined to believe that Garland "found it" as he kept up solid performances the entire season. Contreras was unhittable in September, and I don't think it's reasonable to expect that he'd keep that up, but I also think he'll be a high 3's, low 4's ERA guy, which is hardly cause for doom.

In the bullpen, I think Cotts just was on the upswing and has found his niche. Jenks is a bit of an unknown, and Politte was head and shoulders above his past seasons. We'll just have to wait and see, but I don't worry too much about Jenks in any area other than health. The same goes for Hermanson, if he's healthy, he'll be solid.

I really think the health of Thome and the ability to move Uribe up and Iguchi down in the order will be key for the staff. That lineup would likely produce more runs than the Sox averaged last year, lessening the stress on the pitchers, and thus making many of these concerns less troubling. But in the end, I'm not all that worried about the Sox this year so long as everyone is healthy.

Stoky44
02-02-2006, 12:32 PM
My big concern is the 'pen. True if there is an outfield injury, that would put us in a bad situation. But you can say that about any position. Say Paulie or THome go down, who makes up for those numberrs? What if 2 starters go down, who steps in. To me there maybe holes in our pen and there are no injuries. Holes meaning, we have two open pen spots now before the season begins.

Hitmen77
02-02-2006, 02:32 PM

1) The Starting Rotation
2) The Bullpen

The Sox have SIX solid starting pitchers. I just don't get how starting pitching can be our biggest concern. I can think of 29 other teams that would gladly have the Sox starting pitching "problems". The only one of the six i'm concerned about is Vazquez. He gives up alot of HRs and I wonder if he'll have a hard time pitching at the Cell.

soxinem1
02-02-2006, 11:22 PM
The Sox have SIX solid starting pitchers. I just don't get how starting pitching can be our biggest concern. I can think of 29 other teams that would gladly have the Sox starting pitching "problems". The only one of the six i'm concerned about is Vazquez. He gives up alot of HRs and I wonder if he'll have a hard time pitching at the Cell.

1) The Starting Rotation
2) The Bullpen

I agree with both of you. But remember this. During the course of the season each team will have at least:

1. one player exceed expectations
2. one player deliver lower than expected
3. someone get hurt and miss noteable time
4. someone emerge as a good/great player out of nowhere

Now this is nearly guaranteed: you will win about 50, lose about 50. You will win a few you had no business winning, you will blow a few you had all but wrapped up. This will happen regardless how good/bad your teams talent level is.

It's what happens in the other 62 that decide your season.

Last year, we had several of #1, only a couple #2&3, and several #4.

So the question is, how will these numbers line up this year?