PDA

View Full Version : PIONEER PRESS: Twins better than White Sox, Indians if …

Fenway
01-30-2006, 01:08 PM
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/baseball/13744365.htm

TwinsFest is over. Spring training is next for the Twins. And what's next after that is finding out whether general manager Terry Ryan has improved the team enough to overtake the Chicago White Sox and Cleveland Indians in the American Central. Though Ryan made some risky acquisitions, the Twins will win the division if...

they also concerned about the WBC

The argument can be made that no other team could be loaning more key players than Minnesota. Nine players who are projected to make the Twins' Opening Day roster are on WBC provisional rosters.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/baseball/13737990.htm

MrRoboto83
01-30-2006, 01:12 PM

TwinsFest is over. Spring training is next for the Twins. And what's next after that is finding out whether general manager Terry Ryan has improved the team enough to overtake the Chicago White Sox and Cleveland Indians in the American Central. Though Ryan made some risky acquisitions, the Twins will win the division if...

These are some big ifs

jackbrohamer
01-30-2006, 01:12 PM
Any "analysis" based in any way on the statement "Rondell White stays healthy" is sheer idiocy.

Flight #24
01-30-2006, 01:29 PM

Couldn't one make the same list about how the Royals can win the ALC if X,Y,Z

I mean it boils down to if: "The guys who were good last year stay the same or improve, the guys who sucked last year get better, and the new guys stay healthy & produce". Insert the team of your choice and there you have it - instant contention!

TheOldRoman
01-30-2006, 01:30 PM
IF all those things happen, the Twins will win 90 games...

and finish 15 behind the White Sox.

santo=dorf
01-30-2006, 02:07 PM
• The pitching staff doesn't backslide from a 2005 season in which it had the AL's fifth-lowest earned-run average at 3.71.
Nevermind that both the White Sox and Indians had better staff ERA's and the White Sox have arguably improve their pitching staff.

Johan Santana, Brad Radke, Carlos Silva and Joe Nathan do not suffer injuries that cost them more than a few games.
Wasn't Silva the only member of that group that missed time last season? How many games back did the Twins finish behind the Sox last season again?

• Justin Morneau improves his batting average, his power numbers and his attitude.
No, he has to show he can hit, or at least make contact, against LHP before he can improve his overall numbers.

• New designated hitter Rondell White stays healthy and gives the Twins at least 20 home runs and 100 RBIs
....and in 13 seasons he has hit over 20 homers a whopping 3 times (28 in 1997, 22 in 1999, and 22 in 2003.) He has also never drove in 100 RBI's in a season ( career high of 87 in 2003.)

Joe Mauer keeps his batting average near .300 and lifts his home run and RBI totals from nine and 55 to something in the neighborhood of 15 and 80.
...and who is he going to knock in consider Batista and Morneau can't get on base, and what's so impressive with 80 RBI's from a guy who is supposed to be a 5 tool player?

New second baseman Luis Castillo does what he was brought in to do — play solid defense and stimulate the batting order.
Wasn't Punto a solid defensive second baseman? How exactly is Castillo going to "stimulate" the batting order? He's a slap hitter with a good OBP, but his speed is declining and can no longer steal bases like he used to.

Torii Hunter is more careful about crashing into outfield walls and diving on turf so his value as a clubhouse leader isn't diminished while he's laid up with an injury.
Clubhouse leader? The guy who messed around with Morneau (oh wait, that's was Justin's problem) or going on TV in June saying the Twins weren't going to catch the Sox? Torii is a great defensive CF, but he is very overrated with the bat.

New third baseman Tony Batista matches his career batting average of .251 and hits 20 home runs; he has not had fewer than 25 major league home runs since 1998 and hit 27 homers in Japan last season.
You know, it really says something about your crappy team when you are hoping that a guy "matches" his career batting average of a pathetic .251. Tony's career OBP is .298 and has a career SLG% of .458. That not high enough for a player who is known for hitting home runs (at least the writer thinks so.) His crappy OBP should fit in well with the rest of the Twins' lineup of Torii (career OBP of .321,) Morneau (.313,) Bartlett (.308,) not to mention Stewart coming off a .323 OBP season along with Loser Ford coming off a .338 OBP season.

Flight #24
01-30-2006, 02:29 PM
You know, it really says something about your crappy team when you are hoping that a guy "matches" his career batting average of a pathetic .251. Tony's career OBP is .298 and has a career SLG% of .458. That not high enough for a player who is known for hitting home runs (at least the writer thinks so.) His crappy OBP should fit in well with the rest of the Twins' lineup of Torii (career OBP of .321,) Morneau (.313,) Bartlett (.308,) not to mention Stewart coming off a .323 OBP season along with Loser Ford coming off a .338 OBP season.

Holy crap are those absolutely horrific OBPs. There are going to be a lot of 1-0, 2-0, 2-1 losses in Minny this year. And that's if their pitchers all come through.

ondafarm
01-30-2006, 02:54 PM
I've always in someway liked the Twins. I mean, a small-market team that managed to win with a team mentality, guys doing all the little things right, kept moving star players to get young guys up, and they took advantage of two bigger market teams, Cleveland and the White Sox, when those teams did stupid things, like leaving Jerry Manuel in charge.

That being said, the author of this article has his head in the clouds. Sure, the White Sox and the Indians could both stumble, badly, and the Twins win it, but I'd call that a longshot at best. The Twins have good starting pitching but have made some glaring errors, like poor infield defense, and don't have the firepower to compete regularly with either of the better teams in the division. Santana can shut anybody down on any given day, but over a 162 game season, he won't win you a championship.

Ol' No. 2
01-30-2006, 02:57 PM
Any "analysis" based in any way on the statement "Rondell White stays healthy" is sheer idiocy.They don't call him Ron "DL" White for nothing.

mccoydp
01-30-2006, 03:06 PM
Nice to know that the Twins are airing their potential season-ending excuses so soon. :redneck

Hokiesox
01-30-2006, 03:59 PM
"Torii Hunter is more careful about crashing into outfield walls and diving on turf so his value as a clubhouse leader isn't diminished while he's laid up with an injury."

Are they advocating he not play hard every day? That wouldn't be a way to win one of the toughest divisions in MLB.

caulfield12
01-30-2006, 04:06 PM

Yeah, sure and the White Sox would have won in 2002, 2003 and 2004 if OG were the manager, LOL.

While we΄re at it....

The Twins will overtake the Twins if...

Castillo and S. Stewart combine for 100 stolen bases
Lew Ford hits .300 again
Jason Kubel is 100% healthy and lives up to his billing
Kyle Lohse challenges Garland for the Cy Young
Liriano wins the Rookie of the Year
Batista hits .275 with 30 homers and under 100 strikeouts

This stuff is ALMOST funny if the guy was not trying to be so serious.

soxfan26
01-30-2006, 04:26 PM
"Torii Hunter is more careful about crashing into outfield walls and diving on turf so his value as a clubhouse leader isn't diminished while he's laid up with an injury."

Are they advocating he not play hard every day? That wouldn't be a way to win one of the toughest divisions in MLB.

That just goes to show you that deep down they've already given up on the division but, if Hunter stays healthy they could potentially send 3 players to Pittsburgh in July!!

Then the Pioneer Press can write their next story about how the Twinkies aren't able to keep up with big market teams like the Sox and Indians even though they have a star studded lineup!

RadioheadRocks
01-30-2006, 07:09 PM
These are some big ifs

Like I always say, "... and if Grandma had cajones she'd be Grandpa."

Jerome
01-30-2006, 07:24 PM
I propose the start of a "Twins Win the Division Thread If..." similar to the "You write tommorow's Cubune headline" thread.

...If The Indians young lineup suddenly falls off the face of the earth

...If Buhrle, Contreras, and Garcia miss significant time with injury

...If the Twins get a 5th starter. And a 4th Starter.

I could go on and on. I like their chances

Tragg
01-30-2006, 09:04 PM
The Twins are evaluating the wrong hypothesis.
The more relevant question is "We can finish in 3rd ahead of the Tigers if....."

After all, they finished only 12 games ahead of Detroit, but 16 behind the Sox.

SOXSINCE'70
01-30-2006, 09:20 PM
They don't call him Ron "DL" White for nothing.

:rolling: :rolling: :roflmao: :roflmao:

TDog
01-31-2006, 12:07 AM
These are some big ifs

IF ...

Juan Uribe hits .400, the Sox have a good chance of holding off he Twinks and Tribe in the Central.

On the other hand, if Juan Uribe doesn't hit .400, the Sox have a good chance of holding off the Twinks and bribe in the Central.

I like to see the Twinks talking about ifs for a change.

DumpJerry
01-31-2006, 01:19 AM
When I lived there, Twinkie fans always reminded me of Cub fans. This confirms it, totally ignoring reality.

Erik The Red
01-31-2006, 03:56 AM
Flash back to about a year ago...

The Sox will be good in 2005 if:

-Jon Garland can finally put it together.
-Jose Contreras can live up to his potential.
-El Duque can actually stay healthy enough to pitch most of the season.
-Iguchi can play a solid 2B and hit major league pitching well.
-Konerko doesn't take a step back from his 40 HR performance of last year.
-Podsednik can rebound from an unimpressive 2004.
-Dye can overcome several injury-plagued seasons.

etc, etc, etc...

I really can't blame them for being optimistic. I mean, last offseason there were nothing but questions about the Sox, and look how things turned out.

ma-gaga
01-31-2006, 11:22 AM
When I lived there, Twinkie fans always reminded me of Cub fans. This confirms it, totally ignoring reality.

Yeah. I don't know if I'd rather have the general fanbase jaded and realistic, or hopelessly optimistic. It is really sad, but I'd guess that 80% of the general sporting community eats up what these columnists say, hook, line and sinker. I am optimistic that as the newspapers become outdated and obsolete, these kinds of craptastic stories will slowly go away and some actual information will be written.

I'm just bitter about the Batista signing, and the "plan" on giving him 500 at bats...

"If his average climbs to 0.250, he'll be a valuable member of the team!!!"

Gawd. It's not that difficult to grasp that his OBP is horse****. Don't dress up a pig and call him beautiful if his breath smells decent for 2 months. He's still a pig. And I like ham!

The rest of the article is fluffy, but fine. The Twins made some upgrades to the offense. The pitching was good enough. Will it be enough? Maybe.

"If all our guys improve or rebound to their career highs, and the other teams regress, we'll be RIGHT THERE!!!"

:cool:

caulfield12
01-31-2006, 04:48 PM
This reminds me of some of the odd signings the Royals made the last couple of off-seasons.

Is Kevin McReynolds or Gregg Jefferies not available?

Fake Chet Lemon
02-05-2006, 01:49 PM
Staying in Minnesota too long must freeze your brain. But to be totally fair, they were still somewhat in the hunt before "From the Hood" Hunter went down for the season. Still, a very Cub-esk article.

Ol' No. 2
02-05-2006, 02:15 PM
Staying in Minnesota too long must freeze your brain. But to be totally fair, they were still somewhat in the hunt before "From the Hood" Hunter went down for the season. Still, a very Cub-esk article.They were only in the hunt because Cleveland spent the first half of the season playing like they had their shoes tied together. I don't see that happening again. The Twins will be lucky to hold of the Tiggers.

UofCSoxFan
02-05-2006, 02:46 PM
Joe Mauer will not be a HR hitting catcher...he's a very good player and a good hit for average, doulbes hitter, but any more than 25 hr is asking too much.

If performance out of Tony Bautista and Rondle White (aren't both pushing 35?) is a key to your season, well you got some problems.

Asking Toriiiii Hunter to stop crashing into walls is like asking Mike Vick to stay in the pocket...yeah he may not get hurt as much but he also will not utilize the ability that makes you want him to stay healthy in the first place.

White Sox ifs involve guys like Thome (health), Crede (consistancy as shown last year, Garland (see Crede), and Anderson (rookie) in my opinion. A rather hang my season on question marks regarding a futurre HOF, a guy that was compared to Brooks Robinson during the World Series, a guy that has always shown potential and almost won a Cy Young last year, and a rookie that has done nothing but produce in the minors.

Compare that to the Twins question marks.