PDA

View Full Version : Sox opinion on Uribe ?

White Sox Randy
01-30-2006, 09:05 AM
I'm wondering what KW and Ozzie really feel about Uribe and how committed are they to him ?

I know that they signed him to an extended contract last year and they praise him publicly. Also, they are hoping to count on him in the 2 spot this year and he was outstanding in the playoffs.

However, they did go after Tejada this winter and I am hearing(various baseball writers) that the Sox would like to upgrade at this position.

So, what's the truth ? Are they happy and committed to him(he's only 25) or are they looking to upgrade ?

samram
01-30-2006, 09:18 AM
They're both committed to him and looking to upgrade, to the extent that's possible. Like most of us, I think they're perfectly happy to have Uribe at SS, but if they can acquire a player like Tejada, they would try to do so. However, IIRC, the discussions between the O's and Sox were pretty brief and may have been initiated by Baltimore.

34 Inch Stick
01-30-2006, 10:03 AM
If you can acquire Tejada without raising payroll/injuring your roster you do it no matter who your current shorstop is. They like Uribe.

PaulDrake
01-30-2006, 10:22 AM
They like Uribe. I do too. His diving into the stands on the third base side in game 4 to make that catch will be a highlight reel special for years to come.

dickallen15
01-30-2006, 10:25 AM
The Sox love Uribe, and the guys that would be considered an upgrade to him are not available.

Hokiesox
01-30-2006, 11:10 AM
I like Uribe. For that Matter, I like Pods, Anderson, Dye, Crede, Iguchi, Konerko, and AJP. That being said, if any baseball team isn't always looking to upgrade at any position, and doesn't do so when an opportunity is presented to them, then there's something wrong with them.

sullythered
01-30-2006, 11:16 AM
Juan Uribe is an outstanding defensive shortstop. The Sox like him just fine. There has been no proven evidence to the contrary. Would I like Miguel Tejada, sure, he's an all-star. But who's to say that Kenny initiated even one conversation w/ Baltimore in regards to a trade? All kinds of stuff gets reported as fact that is simply not true. Remember how sure everybody was that we were gonna get Griffey? Done deal, right? I'll believe that the Sox management doesn't trust Uribe when I see some real evidence in support of it.

Fake Chet Lemon
01-30-2006, 01:52 PM
Taking a looksy at a league MVP is NOT a slap in the face to Uribe. I'd say they like Uribe very
much.

And don't forget to factor in that some of that Tejada to the Sox talk was meant to put pressure on Garland to sign or else be trade-bait. That may have even been the primary point, Kenny is sneaky!

MERPER
01-30-2006, 02:02 PM
I love Juan Uribe because he plays hard and keeps his mouth shut... I don't think he has the talent to hit like Tejada, but the Sox aren't asking him to...

Simply put, he is one of the top-3 defensive shortstops in baseball with great range and an extremely strong arm... He also has a very high baseball IQ which is important for a SS

I think Ozzie loved "this kid" because he reminds him of himself as a player

SoxFan76
01-30-2006, 03:03 PM
I think you've all pretty much said what needs to be said, but let's hear it one more time.

They like Uribe, but:

It's Miguel Freakin' Tejada.

:cool:

soxfan26
01-30-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm wondering what KW and Ozzie really feel about Uribe and how committed are they to him ?

I know that they signed him to an extended contract last year and they praise him publicly. Also, they are hoping to count on him in the 2 spot this year and he was outstanding in the playoffs.

However, they did go after Tejada this winter and I am hearing(various baseball writers) that the Sox would like to upgrade at this position.

So, what's the truth ? Are they happy and committed to him(he's only 25) or are they looking to upgrade ?

The Chicago White Sox are committed to winning.

Next question...

soxinem1
01-30-2006, 05:43 PM
I think Uribe fits the mold of what the Sox want in a SS. Range, defense, arm, turning the DP are strong suits. A bit inconsistent with the bat, but he does produce.

My only thing with him is he's sort of like me when I was a bit younger. I think I can steal a base, but always get thrown out. Uribe cannot steal worth a ****.

doublem23
01-30-2006, 05:45 PM
I love Juan Uribe because he plays hard and keeps his mouth shut... I don't think he has the talent to hit like Tejada, but the Sox aren't asking him to...

Simply put, he is one of the top-3 defensive shortstops in baseball with great range and an extremely strong arm... He also has a very high baseball IQ which is important for a SS

I think Ozzie loved "this kid" because he reminds him of himself as a player
He keeps his mouth shut because he doesn't speak a lick of English.

I like Uribe a lot, too, but damn can be brutal for stretches at time. He's a prototypical, free-swinging #9 hitter. I am less than impressed with him as the 2-hole hitter.

Vernam
01-31-2006, 01:25 AM
At the SoxFest clinic area, Greg Walker answered a question about Uribe batting second by saying the Sox think he has a tremendous upside. He said if Uribe gets more disciplined at the plate, he could someday be in Tejada's class (Walker's words, not mine!). Walk said they're working with him to hit more often to right field. He said it's not so simple as it sounds because teams will start messing him up with sliders inside once they figure out he's trying to go the other way. (Which is how they started getting Iguchi out after his insane first half.)

I've always loved Uribe's fielding and believed 2004 might not have gone down the tubes if they'd left him at short when Valentin came off the DL early in that season. Walker pointed out how hot Juan was to start 2004 -- he looked like a lock for the All Star game.

Vernam