PDA

View Full Version : Should SoxFest Move to a Larger Venue?

TomBradley72
01-29-2006, 09:57 PM
For the SoxFest regulars or those that attended this year....based on the crowds...should the fest be moved to a larger location in the future? It seems like between being sold out months in advance and some of the reports of the huge lines, etc...should they move it to a larger location...like a convention center, etc.?

Iwritecode
01-29-2006, 10:01 PM
If they want to keep selling the same amount of tickets as they did this weekend, ABSOLUTELY.

TornLabrum
01-29-2006, 10:02 PM
They're moving to the Palmer House next year. I have no idea how it's size compares to the Hyatt.

HITMEN OF 77
01-29-2006, 10:19 PM
They're moving to the Palmer House next year. I have no idea how it's size compares to the Hyatt.

I heard the ballrooms are larger than the Hyatt, but the rooms are smaller. I'll miss having it at the Hyatt.

Fake Chet Lemon
01-29-2006, 10:19 PM
You guys better get used to crowds this year.

About the only good thing I'll say about sCrUB fans, you never hear them moaning about their big crowds every night. I hope we don't have a million threads this season about the long lines for concessions, lines getting out of the parking lot......etc. (Why do I think I'm going to be disappointed on this one?)

ilsox7
01-29-2006, 10:20 PM

About the only good thing I'll say about sCrUB fans, you never hear them moaning about their big crowds every night. I hope we don't have a million threads this season about the long lines for concessions, lines getting out of the parking lot......etc. (Why do I think I'm going to be disappointed on this one?)

Don't worry, you won't be let down. There will always be something for folks to complain about.

CLR01
01-29-2006, 10:27 PM
Don't worry, you won't be let down. There will always be something for folks to complain about.

Yeah, some people wont be happy until they get their own bathroom, cheap tickets, concession stand, bar, aisle, seating section, unlimited access to the park and it amenities, concourse, direct line to the dugout, and exclusive access to the players. Then they will continue to complain until the Sox rent out 1.5 million sq/ft at McCormick Place for Soxfest, let everyone in for free and give away all of the merchandise. if a player can't make it look out.

Iwritecode
01-29-2006, 10:47 PM

The thing about sold-out games is that you know how many people to expect.

There wasn't a single person that went to Soxfest and expected to be part of a crowd of 9,000 people. Nor should they have...

soxinem1
01-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Did anyone expect that bandwagon jumpers were not going to be commonplace now? I remember after 1983 most Sox games were packed until about a month after the '84 All-Star break.

SoxFest has always drawn well, long lines, packed everything. Moving to a new venue is not a bad idea, but a caravan may not be a bad thing either. It would give more fans additional opportunities to see the team. I think that would broaden the fan base even more.

gr8mexico
01-29-2006, 11:20 PM
Did anyone expect that bandwagon jumpers were not going to be commonplace now? I remember after 1983 most Sox games were packed until about a month after the '84 All-Star break.

SoxFest has always drawn well, long lines, packed everything. Moving to a new venue is not a bad idea, but a caravan may not be a bad thing either. It would give more fans additional opportunities to see the team. I think that would broaden the fan base even more.I understand what you are saying but no one expected the Sox to sell so many tickets to soxfest. Last year Saturday sold out and I really didnt have a problem with it. It was still fun but now I'm sick because of the lack of sleep.:(: :(:

MUsoxfan
01-30-2006, 12:14 AM
The thing about sold-out games is that you know how many people to expect.

There wasn't a single person that went to Soxfest and expected to be part of a crowd of 9,000 people. Nor should they have...

It was actually alot less crowded than I expected. I wasn't hindered from what I wanted to do even a little bit

Viva Medias B's
01-30-2006, 07:34 AM
I was thinking SoxFest ought to move to McCormick Place. The only issue is that I don think the Hyatt McCormick place has the room space tha the Hyatt Recency does. However, McCormick Place is probably the one venue big enough to handle the mega SoxFest crowds. Sure, we all experienced having to deal with bigger crowds over the weekend. However, I though the Hyatt staff managed the lines okay. We all knew we would experience this in the wake of the World Series championship.

alohafri
01-30-2006, 08:09 AM
I was thinking SoxFest ought to move to McCormick Place. The only issue is that I don think the Hyatt McCormick place has the room space tha the Hyatt Recency does. However, McCormick Place is probably the one venue big enough to handle the mega SoxFest crowds. Sure, we all experienced having to deal with bigger crowds over the weekend. However, I though the Hyatt staff managed the lines okay. We all knew we would experience this in the wake of the World Series championship.

Mrs. Aloha and I were saying the same thing. McCormick Place has the capability to host a few large events at the same time. Imagine the fun of the sCrUB Convention and SoxFest at McCormick Place on the same weekend!

Jaffar
01-30-2006, 08:16 AM
They handled it much better on sunday compared to saturday but they sold so many tickets that all the bracelets were gone for the day before the first sessions were over. It was before 9am and 1pm Jon Garland bracelets were gone. If they are going to oversell it like that they should at least have more players there to accomodate. It seemed like there were more players last year.

Hangar18
01-30-2006, 08:59 AM
For the SoxFest regulars or those that attended this year....based on the crowds...should the fest be moved to a larger location in the future? It seems like between being sold out months in advance and some of the reports of the huge lines, etc...should they move it to a larger location...like a convention center, etc.?

They dont have to move to a "bigger" venue ........ They just have to organize it much better. This is the first year the SOX didnt have as many players available as normal, not quite sure WHY that was, but it made for more people trying to get more autographs than normal, which caused a problem with a Festival that already has High INterest, and Higher turnout than "normal". 3 ticket takers for 7,000 people? YES, thats basically ridiculous. Bottom line though, is this is the first time the SOX have encountered this kind of thing so next year will be better Experience-wise.
The Palmer House Hilton I believe will be WORSE. Theres absolutely nowhere to park there (except at garages that will rip you off)

The whole time I was dealing with crowds, I said to myself, HEY this is the price of success. I'll take it.

Blob
01-30-2006, 10:15 AM
I had a good time this weekend hanging with friends and family. But, I do believe they need to move it to a bigger place. It was crazy on Saturday just trying to navigate the vendor booths and the main floor in general. They had lines of people going everywhere.

If the Sox do well this year we can expect it to be the same next year. If it is at the Palmer House sounds like the situation would be worse.

Sounds to me like it is time to move it to a convention center.

DannyCaterFan
01-30-2006, 10:31 AM
I know we have to expect to see more people at events like these, but I was there last year on Saturday as well. It was sold out then, just as it was this Saturday, and I would extimate that there were twice the people there this year. Why did the Sox have to sell so many more tickets. This event has to be limited in size, otherwise it's just not as enjoyable. I thought the Hyatt folks did a good job, but the Sox should have organized this thing better with less people able to attend. It was just pure nonsense on Saturday! Sunday was much better.

ewokpelts
01-30-2006, 11:10 AM

SoxFest has always drawn well, long lines, packed everything. Moving to a new venue is not a bad idea, but a caravan may not be a bad thing either. It would give more fans additional opportunities to see the team. I think that would broaden the fan base even more.according to some...a caravan is bush league......
my question is this: "Ok, a caravan is bush league, but a trophy tour ISNT?"
cant have it both ways folks
Gene

Chicken Dinner
01-30-2006, 11:23 AM
Sox Fest is just like anything else.......money. If you don't make some, what's the point. This is just the first of many things that will pay for the teams salary increase this season.

INSox56
01-30-2006, 11:36 AM
I know we have to expect to see more people at events like these, but I was there last year on Saturday as well. It was sold out then, just as it was this Saturday, and I would extimate that there were twice the people there this year. Why did the Sox have to sell so many more tickets. This event has to be limited in size, otherwise it's just not as enjoyable. I thought the Hyatt folks did a good job, but the Sox should have organized this thing better with less people able to attend. It was just pure nonsense on Saturday! Sunday was much better.

My friends and I (who've gotten weekend packages to the last three SFs) discussed the saturday thing. I think it may have been the same amount of tickets, it's just that people were ALL getting there EARLY and staying the entire time...versus last two years when they kind of trickled in and out over the whole day.

Ol' No. 2
01-30-2006, 12:24 PM
They dont have to move to a "bigger" venue ........ They just have to organize it much better. This is the first year the SOX didnt have as many players available as normal, not quite sure WHY that was, but it made for more people trying to get more autographs than normal, which caused a problem with a Festival that already has High INterest, and Higher turnout than "normal". 3 ticket takers for 7,000 people? YES, thats basically ridiculous. Bottom line though, is this is the first time the SOX have encountered this kind of thing so next year will be better Experience-wise.
The Palmer House Hilton I believe will be WORSE. Theres absolutely nowhere to park there (except at garages that will rip you off)

The whole time I was dealing with crowds, I said to myself, HEY this is the price of success. I'll take it.Fewer players had nothing to do with the length of the autograph lines. They still had the same number of stages set up - just more likely to be one player instead of two. With more space they could spread them out and have more autograph stages, reducing the length of the lines. Most were closed 2 hr before the session started. People who came mainly for autograph probably were disappointed. I don't do the autograph thing so much anymore. I prefer the seminars, and there was usually enough space there if you don't mind standing.

I've driven down for the last time. From now on it's train and taxi. Less hassle and no more expensive.

ewokpelts
01-30-2006, 12:25 PM
My friends and I (who've gotten weekend packages to the last three SFs) discussed the saturday thing. I think it may have been the same amount of tickets, it's just that people were ALL getting there EARLY and staying the entire time...versus last two years when they kind of trickled in and out over the whole day.another thing to consider is that it's SUPER easy to sneak into soxfest.......one thing the flubs do right(according to some of the dealers) is that they make EVERYONE wear badges for thier convnention......no badge...no entry.....
there's a backdoor to the convention floor at the hyatt.....very easy to sneak people into...
Gene

SoxFan78
01-30-2006, 01:16 PM
I've driven down for the last time. From now on it's train and taxi. Less hassle and no more expensive.

My girlfriend and I took the train down there for Friday and Sunday and it was no problem. Just took the Red line to State/Lake, walked to Wacker, and it was about a ten minute walk down to the Hyatt. Not bad at all.

Ol' No. 2
01-30-2006, 01:18 PM
My girlfriend and I took the train down there for Friday and Sunday and it was no problem. Just took the Red line to State/Lake, walked to Wacker, and it was about a ten minute walk down to the Hyatt. Not bad at all.I'm coming from the western 'burbs, but the BN goes to Union Station. I haven't taken a cab downtown in a while, but I'd guess a cab from Union station to the Palmer House should be no more than $10. Parking is just too much of a hassle.

Tekijawa
01-30-2006, 01:19 PM
move it to a smaller venue and sell half as many tickets for twice as much... 90% of the people there probably had scalped tickets anyway so it's obvious that there is interest in tickets at a higher price. I would have paid double what I got mine for if I knew that I wouldn't feel like a sardine and might actually be able to get some one to sign a ball.

I would have paid tripple if there wouldn't have been that Idiot making comments in the Seminars after everything someone said on Friday night... I came to hear Thome speak not your Miller lite guzzling ***!

Iwritecode
01-30-2006, 01:27 PM
My friends and I (who've gotten weekend packages to the last three SFs) discussed the saturday thing. I think it may have been the same amount of tickets, it's just that people were ALL getting there EARLY and staying the entire time...versus last two years when they kind of trickled in and out over the whole day.

No. They sold double the amount of tickets. Plain and simple.

anewman35
01-30-2006, 01:44 PM
No. They sold double the amount of tickets. Plain and simple.

Do you have any actual evidence of this?

Ol' No. 2
01-30-2006, 01:48 PM
Do you have any actual evidence of this?I'm sure they're limited by fire codes and they're going to sell as many as they can right up to that limit. I doubt they sold more for any individual day than they have in the past. They sold out all three days, so they probably sold a lot more overall.

Iwritecode
01-30-2006, 01:48 PM
Do you have any actual evidence of this?

Email Brooks.

I heard on the news that 9,000 tickets were sold for Saturday. Last year it was only 3 or 4,000.

Palehose13
01-30-2006, 01:49 PM

The whole time I was dealing with crowds, I said to myself, HEY this is the price of success. I'll take it.

Some people need to do a gut check. I can't believe this, but Hangar is one of the voices of reason on this thread. :o:

INSox56
01-30-2006, 01:54 PM
Email Brooks.

I heard on the news that 9,000 tickets were sold for Saturday. Last year it was only 3 or 4,000.

I really wouldn't doubt it and that's just sad. I think that sucks really because it was nicely crowded last two years. This year it was just...insane. But, do as the scrubs do...if they buy tickets, who cares what they think, eh? Money is money....

TomBradley72
01-30-2006, 01:54 PM
I haven't been myself...but if they expect future fests to be just as big...and seeing as it sold out months in advance...it could have been bigger...what's the logic of staying in a hotel environment? Why not move to more of a convention center space...with several hotels close by for people who need overnight accomodations? More exhibitor space, more space for seminar seating, etc....

Palehose13
01-30-2006, 01:55 PM
according to some...a caravan is bush league......
my question is this: "Ok, a caravan is bush league, but a trophy tour ISNT?"
cant have it both ways folks
Gene

Yep, I'm the one who thinks that a caravan is bush league. Why? 'Cause that is what Milwaukee does. I have brought a friend or two from Milwaukee the past three years to SoxFest. Each one thought that it was an amazing experience. I'm not totally opposed to a caravan if it is in addition to SoxFest, but not as a replacement for SoxFest.

So if you are talking to me about having it both ways, I'm not asking for it. I haven't gone to a trophy stop (except SoxFest) and even then I didn't go to see it. I figure I'll see it eventually this year.

Hangar18
01-30-2006, 02:01 PM
I really wouldn't doubt it and that's just sad. I think that sucks really because it was nicely crowded last two years. This year it was just...insane. But, do as the scrubs do...if they buy tickets, who cares what they think, eh? Money is money....

I Doubt that. It seemed more crowded, because as INSOX56 noted, people were staying longer, werent able to get in as many Auto lines (less players). All of that adds up. I knew it would be more crowded, and I planned accordingly. I will say this. The one thing for sure the SOX did right this weekend, was having MAN SOO LEE there. Hes a SOX institution also and was great to see him there, he loves the fans and vice versa.
MikeB and I walked by the Comcast booth and there he was ......Hilarious. He gave me a big bear hug ...............

Hangar18
01-30-2006, 02:05 PM
Yep, I'm the one who thinks that a caravan is bush league. Why? 'Cause that is what Milwaukee does. I have brought a friend or two from Milwaukee the past three years to SoxFest. Each one thought that it was an amazing experience. I'm not totally opposed to a caravan if it is in addition to SoxFest, but not as a replacement for SoxFest.

Caravans ARE bush-league. Its something a minor-league, semi-pro team does because they cant Afford a Venue/Dont have the fanbase to pull it off.
Obviously, the SOX quietly have a fan-base, and have had no problem with fan interest for these things. Keep it Hotel based. And DONT move to the Palmer House. Man will that be impossible .........................

Ol' No. 2
01-30-2006, 02:07 PM
Email Brooks.

I heard on the news that 9,000 tickets were sold for Saturday. Last year it was only 3 or 4,000.That's absurd. It was crowded, but there's no way in hell there were twice as many people on Saturday as the year before.

Iwritecode
01-30-2006, 02:09 PM
Caravans ARE bush-league. Its something a minor-league, semi-pro team does because they cant Afford a Venue/Dont have the fanbase to pull it off.

Not sure I understand this. Wouldn't teams with larger fans bases want to do this? Just check out the parade. I hate to tell you but no matter how hard you try, you're not going to find a venue that will fit 2 million people in one weekend. With a caravan it gives more people the opportunity to see and interact with the players. Especially the ones that can't make it to Soxfest every year.

And DONT move to the Palmer House. Man will that be impossible

Too late.

INSox56
01-30-2006, 02:10 PM
I Doubt that. It seemed more crowded, because as INSOX56 noted, people were staying longer, werent able to get in as many Auto lines (less players). All of that adds up. I knew it would be more crowded, and I planned accordingly. I will say this. The one thing for sure the SOX did right this weekend, was having MAN SOO LEE there. Hes a SOX institution also and was great to see him there, he loves the fans and vice versa.
MikeB and I walked by the Comcast booth and there he was ......Hilarious. He gave me a big bear hug ...............

LOL that was the highlight of our weekend was rooting to see Man Soo. Anyone else find it funny that he's in the MIDDLE of EVERY postseason picture practically!? hahaha What a champ

Iwritecode
01-30-2006, 02:10 PM
That's absurd. It was crowded, but there's no way in hell there were twice as many people on Saturday as the year before.

The lines weren't spilling out onto Michigan Ave. last year either...

INSox56
01-30-2006, 02:11 PM
I'd be interested in Palmer house with fewer tickets sold. Adjust ticket sales to size accordingly. And this year CAN'T be used as a bearing....

Ol' No. 2
01-30-2006, 02:15 PM
The lines weren't spilling out onto Michigan Ave. last year either...That just means more people got there earlier. The maximum is set by fire dept regulations. I doubt very much that they decided last year to sell only half the number of tickets they could have sold. And I doubt they decided to flaunt the limit this year.

starboy0
01-30-2006, 02:15 PM
I'm coming from the western 'burbs, but the BN goes to Union Station. I haven't taken a cab downtown in a while, but I'd guess a cab from Union station to the Palmer House should be no more than $10. Parking is just too much of a hassle.

Come the same way myself. The cab fare for two was about $7 to the Hyatt.

anewman35
01-30-2006, 03:16 PM
According to a Sox PR from last year (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050117&content_id=931826&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws), Soxfest attendence was sold out at "over 12,000 fans". Can anybody find any actual documented number for this year?

thepaulbowski
01-30-2006, 03:19 PM
Obviously, the SOX quietly have a fan-base, and have had no problem with fan interest for these things. Keep it Hotel based. And DONT move to the Palmer House. Man will that be impossible .........................

Does anybody know why they are changing it to the Palmer House?

jenn2080
01-30-2006, 03:45 PM
Of course this should be moved to a bigger venue. I love to see the logics of the smaller place for next year. It was complete madness over the weekend. Way to small

Iwritecode
01-30-2006, 03:59 PM
According to a Sox PR from last year (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050117&content_id=931826&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws), Soxfest attendence was sold out at "over 12,000 fans". Can anybody find any actual documented number for this year?

WGN news reported 9,000 on Saturday alone.

anewman35
01-30-2006, 04:05 PM
WGN news reported 9,000 on Saturday alone.

I don't doubt you, but I'd like to see something in writing. A newscaster can misread a number.

Iwritecode
01-30-2006, 04:10 PM
I don't doubt you, but I'd like to see something in writing. A newscaster can misread a number.

I've searched but can't find anything. I wouldn't doubt that number is pretty close though. That "more people showed up earlier" arguement just doesn't hold up.

steff
01-30-2006, 04:25 PM

Search the Trib site.

anewman35
01-30-2006, 04:26 PM
I've searched but can't find anything. I wouldn't doubt that number is pretty close though. That "more people showed up earlier" arguement just doesn't hold up.

There may have been some more, but I have a really hard time believing it was 5000 more. There's no way that it was twice as crowded as last year.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-30-2006, 04:32 PM
There may have been some more, but I have a really hard time believing it was 5000 more. There's no way that it was twice as crowded as last year.

Per MLB:

SoxFest 2005 attracts over 12,000 fans

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050117&content_id=931826&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

2006 - But if the Minor League phenom joined the 25,000 people celebrating the White Sox first World Series title since 1917 at some point during the three days

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060129&content_id=1303299&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

We report, you decide.

Iwritecode
01-30-2006, 04:33 PM
Per MLB:

SoxFest 2005 attracts over 12,000 fans

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050117&content_id=931826&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

2006 - But if the Minor League phenom joined the 25,000 people celebrating the White Sox first World Series title since 1917 at some point during the three days

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060129&content_id=1303299&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

We report, you decide.

Thank you!

I'll say it again, they sold double the number of tickets as last year and last year was considered "sold out". Ridiculous. That's like trying to fit 80,000 into the Cell.

Ol' No. 2
01-30-2006, 04:38 PM
Thank you!

I'll say it again, they sold double the number of tickets as last year and last year was considered "sold out". Ridiculous. That's like trying to fit 80,000 into the Cell.Last year was not a sellout. There were lots of unsold tickets for Friday and Sunday. It doesn't follow that they sold twice the number of tickets for each day.

Iwritecode
01-30-2006, 04:48 PM
Last year was not a sellout. There were lots of unsold tickets for Friday and Sunday. It doesn't follow that they sold twice the number of tickets for each day.

CHICAGO -- SoxFest 2005, the 13th annual Chicago White Sox fan convention held Jan. 14-16 at the Hyatt Regency Chicago, attracted more than 12,000 fans over three sellout days.

Seriously guys, I know what I'm talking about here.

Just averaging out the numbers:

2006 - 25,000 = 8,333 + 8,333 + 8,333
2005 - 12,000 = 4,000 + 4,000 + 4,000

Doesn't matter how you slice it, there were about twice the number of people there this year.

steff
01-30-2006, 04:54 PM
Seriously guys, I know what I'm talking about here.

Just averaging out the numbers:

2006 - 25,000 = 8,333 + 8,333 + 8,333
2005 - 12,000 = 4,000 + 4,000 + 4,000

Doesn't matter how you slice it, there were about twice the number of people there this year.

But, but, but.... :rolleyes:

The Hyatt staff were wide open about the fact they double sold.

thepaulbowski
01-30-2006, 05:07 PM
People would complain because not enough tickets were available and people complain becuase there were too many tickets available. It's a no win situation for the Sox either way. Coming off a World Series Winner, I think it was wise to allow more than in years past.

soxinem1
01-30-2006, 05:22 PM
another thing to consider is that it's SUPER easy to sneak into soxfest.......one thing the flubs do right(according to some of the dealers) is that they make EVERYONE wear badges for thier convnention......no badge...no entry.....
there's a backdoor to the convention floor at the hyatt.....very easy to sneak people into...
Gene

I second that. You can walk in from the loading dock. Easy as pie. You can probably meet Gene Honda out there on a smoking break!

MUScholar21
01-30-2006, 05:23 PM

And a writer can't mistype?

robiwho
01-30-2006, 09:01 PM
I'm a meeting and event planner in my spare time that's not devoted to the White Sox. The space is pretty nice at the Palmer House, but it's spread out over several floors. I've been to several events there and the biggest pain is going between the floors. I'm not sure what part of the meeting space they'll be using, of course, but it seems to have the potential to get pretty crowded.

They've done a major renovation of the sleeping rooms in the past few years, which is pretty nice, and you definitely get that classic Chicago feeling when you're there. I guess we'll see how it goes.

ewokpelts
01-30-2006, 10:49 PM

So if you are talking to me about having it both ways, I'm not asking for it. I haven't gone to a trophy stop (except SoxFest) and even then I didn't go to see it. I figure I'll see it eventually this year.
The Flubs do thier caravan in conjunction with thier cry-vention.....i see nothing wrong with the sox doing the same.....good season or not, tv cameras on a player witha sick kid is good pr...
Gene

p.s. the brewers pre-opening day event is pretty cool in my book.....something i wouldnt mid the sox doing(even in a scaled down version)

ewokpelts
01-30-2006, 10:50 PM
and what was that thing the sox did BEFORE soxfest? way back in the 80's? oh yeah...a caravan.....
Gene

ewokpelts
01-30-2006, 10:52 PM
Does anybody know why they are changing it to the Palmer House?
:reinsy

Like you have to ask.......how else am i going to pay for Jim Thome?