PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else unsatisfied with Soxfest

Domeshot17
01-29-2006, 04:27 PM
You know, I look forward to Sox Fest a lot because this is the first year in a while I have been able to go. However, the system this year really was a downer. Today, They gave out the all the wristbands for the day at 9, and as usual no doubling up. Me and my gf got there at 4, were in the first 100 people, and sat down and mapped out a plan with her dad, who hasnt missed a day of sox fest since it began. However, because of the way it was ran,
we were only able to score Crede Anderson and Mackowiak and Hawk and DJ (who actually signed for us while away from their booth). I could not believe they gave away the wristbands (which were horribly used) for the 130's at 9 am. They needed to be prepared for the crowds, and offer more 2 player tables and more players in general.

The Players themselves were terrific. Anderson especially seemed thrilled to be there, and Crede, a bit overwhelmed, was still very interactive with us. However, it really made it useless to camp out so early. The worst part was, you kind of had to choose between a semi unproductive day if you wanted to spend it in line with family and friends, or split up for an entire day to try and score everyone. Also was suprised to see the vendors jack up the prices. 100 bucks for an unsigned, unframed photo, 180 bucks for Konerko signed baseballs and 80 for a Tadahito Ball. I love Paulie and Tada, but their balls are worth about half of what they charged. I hope the rumors of the move next year are true, and I hope next year they get a clue. I had friends shell out for the Hotel, who do so every year and they had the same feelings.

Sorry for the rant, The fans were great, and the mood was okay despite the system, but my 13 year old sister could have arranged this better. Anyone else have the same feeling?

dickallen15
01-29-2006, 04:43 PM
I think they were really locked in as far as what they can do for Soxfest long before the ticket requests blew them away. Its obvious there were more people there than the Hyatt could handle, and that's too bad. However, I would take winning a world series and being inconvienced to the max at Soxfest any day over having a decent season, and being able to do whatever I feel like at Soxfest. I think next year will be a lot smoother even if the same number of people or even more attend.

SAVVY18
01-29-2006, 04:49 PM
I posted my thoughts in the one Soxfest thread and I was extremely disappointed in the event.

At least you were able to get someones autograph. I thought it was a big waste of time to be honest.

Garland_IS_God
01-29-2006, 05:00 PM
I posted my thoughts in the one Soxfest thread and I was extremely disappointed in the event.

At least you were able to get someones autograph. I thought it was a big waste of time to be honest.

I didnt get the opportunity to go to Sox Fest this year but I felt the same way when I went to the Bears Convention. It was a complete waste of time. No autographs unless you won a scratch off ticket. Everything was overpriced and just a waste of time.

soxfan80
01-29-2006, 05:05 PM
Let's hope the Palmer house can handle larger crowds.

Brian26
01-29-2006, 05:06 PM
You know, I look forward to Sox Fest a lot because this is the first year in a while I have been able to go. However, the system this year really was a downer. Today, They gave out the all the wristbands for the day at 9, and as usual no doubling up. Me and my gf got there at 4, were in the first 100 people, and sat down and mapped out a plan with her dad, who hasnt missed a day of sox fest since it began. However, because of the way it was ran,
we were only able to score Crede Anderson and Mackowiak and Hawk and DJ (who actually signed for us while away from their booth).

I probably shouldn't mention this, but without giving out too many details, this afternoon I discovered/noticed there was a very significant flaw in the wristband system that benefited people who aren't quite so honest.

Other than that, I enjoyed myself.

mcfish
01-29-2006, 05:09 PM
I had a fantastic time at Sox Fest. I thought it went very well for everything that I wanted to get out of it. The seminars were fantastic, the garage sale was great, the stores were fun to look through.

I didn't bother with autographs - the only real line I waited in was to get a picture taken with the trophy which was well worth the 40 minute wait and the $10 donation to Sox Charities. The autograph lines were rediculous and I decided early Friday that I just don't care enough to beat out the crowds going for autographs. There were crazy people waiting in line already when I came back from the bars at 3:15 Saturday night!

Patrick134
01-29-2006, 05:11 PM
Half the fun of autograph getting is having an interaction with the player, and that's just not possible at something like soxfest with the cattle lines.

BeefyD
01-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Unfortunately, you really have to put it into perspective. the Sox won the World Series. Obviously, everyone, including bandwagoners, want to go to this Soxfest. If you came from over 40+ miles out, I feel sorry for you. If you are local, you should have expected it.

Vendors? Of course they'll try to get every penny. I saw plenty of reasonably priced items that were NOT autographed. I bought the ALCS pint glass to complete my collection of pint glasses after mlb.com cancelled my order of them. Price? $10, same as mlb.com. Bought some current player 8x10's for $5. However, auto'd items will always command big bucks at a convention where people are drooling to get them.

You want autographs? Good luck. People in the lobby on Fri. night were talking about getting in line at 3am on Sat. All I wanted was AJ on fri., however, by the time I got in the door I was too late. Oh well.

Players will be signing throughout the year, at both free events and pay-per-autograph events. Make the trip. Guarantee there will be less people.

How many of us WSI'ers went to a US Cellular store and spent plenty of 1-on-1 time with the trophy after waiting in a 5 minute line? I've seen it 3 times already, never waited more than 5 min. However, Soxfest??? HOUR-AND-A-HALF. Again, if you're local, go see it elsewhere. Edit: Ok, mcfish only had to wait 40 min., but at the US Cell stores, I've taken over 25 photos with my family and the trophy.

Other than some poor running at the Hyatt for some of the lines, this should have been expected by us diehards.

Savvy: Which year is your trophy pic from??? Looks like the 1985 Royals trophy.. (not a slam, just curious)

mcfish
01-29-2006, 05:33 PM
Edit: Ok, mcfish only had to wait 40 min., but at the US Cell stores, I've taken over 25 photos with my family and the trophy.And remember - I wasn't complaining, I thought it was a good thing. I've seen the trophy before too, but I was with a group of my best Sox friends this weekend and we wanted to get a picture of all of us together with the trophy (plus it was better than the 6 hours you had to wait for an autograph... no thanks.

My only suggestion for next year is to use a bigger room for the seminars... They should accomidate as many people as possible for those - they are the absolute best part about Sox Fest.

BeefyD
01-29-2006, 06:14 PM
Oh, no doubt, I wouldn't have complained either! I had fun on Friday even with the lines. But it should all be expected, that's what I'm pointing out. If you really want to get the players autographs, they'll be around town all summer long. Just be patient and be aware.

Iwritecode
01-29-2006, 07:21 PM
It would've been great if they hadn't sold TWICE the number of tickets they were supposed to. There's no way the fire code should have allowed that many people in there at one time.

Even last year on Saturday when it was sold out it wasn't near this bad. There wasn't a single person I talked to that was happy about it. I'm just trying to figure out who is at fault. The Sox or the hotel. :angry:

Fake Chet Lemon
01-29-2006, 07:51 PM
I had an awesome time Saturday! The Q&A seminars were fantastic. You learn so much in those, about your team, and other things like how Kenny and Ozzie relate. You have to be there to understand, but you can tell exactly what is going through Kenny's mind when Ozzie is talking through Kenny's body language. It's just funny as Hell! Moose stole the show too in his Q&A. Good, good stuff. I never bother with the auto-graphs. That seems like a good decision, it seems like everyone here just bitches about the whole auto-graph experience anyway. You learn nothing about you team from standing in line for an autograph. I'd rather hit the Q&As and learn about my team.

NSSoxFan
01-29-2006, 07:53 PM
I'm just trying to figure out who is at fault. The Sox or the hotel. :angry:

Blame the 2005 World Championship. :D:

HITMEN OF 77
01-29-2006, 07:54 PM
You want autographs? Good luck. People in the lobby on Fri. night were talking about getting in line at 3am on Sat.. (not a slam, just curious)

People left Soxfest at 9pm on Friday night when it closed, walked out and turned around and sat down in line for Saturday at 9pm Friday night. that's 14 hours in line to be in the top 10 or so in. That's crazy!!

filmnews
01-29-2006, 08:04 PM
When I was walking around down stairs, I see people pulling their pillows, blankets, and sheets from their hotel rooms. Also, this was at 10:30 p.m. on Saturday night. So, these people waited in line for 10 1/2 hours for 1 autograph. I went down at 6 a.m., and was able to get a wrist band for Crede. Then, I put the band in my pocket and went and got a wrist band for Garland.

C-Dawg
01-29-2006, 08:31 PM
Walking in to the hotel Saturday morning, I knew it would be trouble when I saw they had routed the line up and down the stairs, and into and out of another banquet room, and around and around the place just to accomodate the sheer length of the line. It was kind of weird to wait in line a long time and slowly move up and eventually get to the point where last year's line started!

I can't imagine how confusing it must have been for a first-time visitor, particularly the downstairs area which was a real mess. I wasn't interested in the autographs but felt sorry for those who did, since it looked like the lines snaked all around the place, with no clear idea where the ends were.

DannyCaterFan
01-29-2006, 08:36 PM
Saturday was rediculous! far too many tickets sold.

mike squires
01-29-2006, 08:40 PM
Oh, no doubt, I wouldn't have complained either! I had fun on Friday even with the lines. But it should all be expected, that's what I'm pointing out. If you really want to get the players autographs, they'll be around town all summer long. Just be patient and be aware.

Exactly, Spring training, the parking gates before the game...No way would I wait in line for 14 hours like some of these folks did. I'm glad I stayed at home this year...and I love Soxfest.

EndemicSox
01-29-2006, 09:02 PM
Can't blame the Sox, they are going to need all the money they can get with this season's payroll...

Lprof
01-29-2006, 09:05 PM

At least you were able to get someones autograph. I thought it was a big waste of time to be honest. I was there, and it was very crowded, but ANY Soxfest following a World Series championship HAS to be wonderful! Let's keep our eyes on the prize, both literally and figuratively.:rolleyes:

SAVVY18
01-29-2006, 09:25 PM
Actually, it wasn't wonderful. I expected a Championship event for a Championship team. So there is no reason to roll your eyes.

woodenleg
01-29-2006, 09:27 PM
When I was walking around down stairs, I see people pulling their pillows, blankets, and sheets from their hotel rooms. Also, this was at 10:30 p.m. on Saturday night. So, these people waited in line for 10 1/2 hours for 1 autograph. I went down at 6 a.m., and was able to get a wrist band for Crede. Then, I put the band in my pocket and went and got a wrist band for Garland.

That's insane. Why would someone wait that long for an autograph?

woodenleg
01-29-2006, 09:29 PM
Actually, it wasn't wonderful. I expected a Championship event for a Championship team. So there is no reason to roll your eyes.

What does a 'Championship event' look like to you?

I mean, there really wasn't much of a window to plan such a thing anyway...was there?

I mean, really...do you work in PR, with the sort of language you use? I mean, you even capitalize 'Championship' like it's a trademark and all...

The Sox are an ordinary team that happened to win a World Series this year. I don't see why that should fundamentally alter their character.

I_Liked_Manuel
01-29-2006, 09:44 PM

you can thank the thousands of people that decided to make this their first soxfest. anybody that had been there before could tell you that you're not going to get every autograph you want, everything is overpriced, it's really crowded, and the closest person to being a sports celebrity that you're going to be able to talk to is mitch robinson.

SAVVY18
01-29-2006, 09:44 PM
Ugh...go read the Soxfest thread.

TornLabrum
01-29-2006, 09:48 PM
you can thank the thousands of people that decided to make this their first soxfest. anybody that had been there before could tell you that you're not going to get every autograph you want, everything is overpriced, it's really crowded, and the closest person to being a sports celebrity that you're going to be able to talk to is mitch robinson.

Hey! A lot of people talked to ME!

TheKittle
01-29-2006, 09:55 PM
I think the White Sox and the hotel can do something about people "camping" out for autographs. Maybe have a rule that nobody can line up or be in the hotel (if they aren't a registered guest) until 2 hrs before the show.

I think the best way to do this is to give everybody an autograph ticket, set up four sections with 4-5 players at each section and label them Sec A-D, then call out random numbers for the autographs and limit that to 500 people. So something like Sec A with Pods, Uribe, Garland and Cotts numbers 150-200, 1,300-1,400, etc etc.

Iwritecode
01-29-2006, 09:58 PM

Last year Saturday was sold out and I still had no problems walking around, getting all the autographs I wanted and actually feeling like I could exhale without invading somebody elses private space.

The prices weren't bad from what I saw and crowds are to be expected but there is no good reason to sell twice the number of tickets that they should be selling. Just try to imaging going to a Sox game with about 70,000 people in the stadium (and it only holds 40,000). That's what it was like this weekend...

anotherDCsoxfan
01-29-2006, 10:34 PM
Perhaps they SOLD the same number of tickets, but people actually showed up and stayed longer this year.

HITMEN OF 77
01-29-2006, 10:36 PM
I wonder how many "fake" tickets were taken in at Soxfest. I'm sure people made homemade tickets and had no problem getting in.

MUsoxfan
01-30-2006, 12:08 AM
I wonder how many "fake" tickets were taken in at Soxfest. I'm sure people made homemade tickets and had no problem getting in.

It really did blow my mind to see ticket scalpers outside the Hyatt and near the top of the escalator. Tough ticket I guess

Martinigirl
01-30-2006, 12:44 AM
Having been an event coordinator for a quite some time, I blame the Hyatt for a lot of this. As the venue, and a venue that hosts conventions all the time, they should have had a better plan to get people in the actual event. They knew how many tickets were sold and how much staff that amount of people required, and should have had plans in place before anyone arrived Friday morning. But as anyone who stood in that line, trying to get in Opening Ceremony can tell you, their staff was inaffectual and uninformed.

The one major criticism I have of the Sox, that would be simple to fix, is that, knowing there would be long lines with lenghty wait times, why not have video screens up, showing either the WS DVD, or even memorable games from throughout the season? Watching a game could have made the time pass much faster. And why not have the seminars broadcast in that room with the autographs? There has to be something to do to make the experience more than standing and waiting.

And there needed to be more signage, informing people of where everything was, because, this being my first Soxfest, I was totally unaware that there was more than one floor to the event.

But at the end of the day, we are still the World Champions, so how bad can it really be ;)

Jaffar
01-30-2006, 08:58 AM

I was thinking the same thing when they actually tore the tickets instead of scanning them. I was a little dissapointed though on how many tickets were actually sold and the amount of players that actually showed up. I was expecting a much much larger crowd but I think I was expecting it to be handled better, which for the most part they did on sunday. I got Plenty of Crede/Konerko stuff last year so I was able to get everything I wanted this year except AJ and Garland. I wish I could have gone friday though to hit the garage sale because it sounds like you guys got some great stuff that was already gone when I got there sat but that is nobody's fault but my own.

mcfish
01-30-2006, 09:00 AM
Can't blame the Sox, they are going to need all the money they can get with this season's payroll...You may or may not have been joking, but almost everything that was sold by the Sox at Sox Fest this year said that the money was going to White Sox Charities.

ewokpelts
01-30-2006, 11:12 AM
I go for the seminars and shopping. I wasnt disapointed.
Gene

Palehose13
01-30-2006, 12:39 PM
I was there, and it was very crowded, but ANY Soxfest following a World Series championship HAS to be wonderful! Let's keep our eyes on the prize, both literally and figuratively.:rolleyes:

I agree with you. Of course I had a different experience at the other soxfest's, but I expected this. I can't see how anyone didn't expect it. It was crowded as hell, but I still had a good time and was not disappointed...How can you be when the Sox are the World Champions?

I have a feeling that many of the people complaining about long lines, etc. are the same ones who were complaining about porr attendance in past years. This may be a news flash, but you can't have it both ways. Champions attract people. Hell, how do you think Aaron Rowand became a Bears fan living on the West Coast when he was a kid?

Sorry if you don't agree,but I would rather have a ton of people with a championship trophy than the few die hards after another disappointing season.

woodenleg
01-30-2006, 12:49 PM
It really did blow my mind to see ticket scalpers outside the Hyatt and near the top of the escalator. Tough ticket I guess

Scalpers? Jeez, get a life. I'm not gonna die if I can't go to Soxfest. It's not the same as going to a good Sox game.

SoxFan78
01-30-2006, 01:21 PM
There were tons of people there, but thats to be expected. I think that my experience was tarnished only because the lack of preparedness for all of the people. There were no signs on Friday on where to line up to get into Sox Fest and no communication between the Hyatt Workers and Sox Fest officials on what really was going on.

By Sunday though everything looked like it was running smoothly. I got to the hotel on Sunday morning, and was told exactly where to go, which was a huge room on the bottom level and they had seats for everybody. They moved everybody in that line into Sox Fest.

Also, for Paulie's autograph session, they told you right away to get in a certain line to get wristbands for him. Once you got a wristband you could go do what you want. Then they announced that if you had a wristband go up to the ball room to get in line to get signatures, then they led everybody down. Much better when its organized.

Iwritecode
01-30-2006, 01:34 PM
I agree with you. Of course I had a different experience at the other soxfest's, but I expected this. I can't see how anyone didn't expect it. It was crowded as hell, but I still had a good time and was not disappointed...How can you be when the Sox are the World Champions?

We've both been there in past years when it's been sold out. Those two floors are not equipped to handle 9,000 people at one time. Legally or otherwise.

That's why nobody should have expected crowds like that...

Palehose13
01-30-2006, 01:45 PM
We've both been there in past years when it's been sold out. Those two floors are not equipped to handle 9,000 people at one time. Legally or otherwise.

Does anyone have the actual number? Over the weekend I heard 7500, now it's 9000? It may have been oversold, but I didn't find it absolutely horrible like some people did. Maybe I am more use to crowds for some reason.

I also think that maybe they sold some more tickets than usual because of the trophy room. IIRC, that room was never open during SoxFest before, so they added that capacity to the numbers.

Have I found past SoxFest experiences more enjoyable? Absolutely. But like I said, I'll take the trophy. Let this be an indication to the upcoming season. Some of us who are used to the 20K crowds and no waiting in line will have a rude awakening if they think that is what the park is going to be like this year.

thepaulbowski
01-30-2006, 01:47 PM

To say the hotel or the Sox did anything illegal this weekend is ridiculous. Neither organization is dumb enough to open itself up to any legal ramifications from this. Apparently you've never been to the Bears fan convention at the Hilton Towers.

ChiSoxGirl
01-30-2006, 01:50 PM
As a SoxFest veteran of 13 years now, this was the most disappointing and frustrating by far. I've been getting the hotel package since '97 or '98 and this was the worst as far as valeting my car, checking in, getting in line to go to the fest, etc. I got to the Hyatt at 4p, and it took me an hour to park my car, get my room key, and up to the room! Valet parking was sold out by 1:30 or 2p, the valet parking people didn't even know their garage at 111 W. was full when he sent me there, and the hotel seemed understaffed (housekeeping never made it to our room on Saturday 'til after 3p).

When I started hearing what time the first person lined up for Friday (midnight) and the crowds expected for the weekend (Friday- 8,000; Saturday- 9,000; Sunday- 8,000), I just cringed because I knew it was a disaster waiting to happen. It got worse because I always get in line around 7:30a on Saturday for the 10a opening and there's never been a problem. There must've been 1000 people ahead of me in line by that time! :angry: I later found out the first person in line for Saturday left the fest on Friday and just parked himself in line for the next day! :?:

In all the years I've been going there, this is the first time I came away with not a single autograph. I'm not an autograph hound by any means, but I got an official World Series baseball for Christmas that I would've liked at least one signature on. All I did on Friday when I finally got inside was walk around downstairs by the vendors and go to the Brandon McCarthy/Brain Anderson seminar. Saturday was filled with more seminars for me, which is fine, since I was dying to see the World Series Memories and Your 2006 White Sox ones. But, I also wanted to go to the Podsednik baserunning clinic. I went downstairs at 1:15 to get a seat for it, but there were none to be had, despite their being more chairs at the clinic area than in years past! They were literally standing 20 deep where Scotty came on & off the stage!

When I was checking out on Sunday morning, there was a guy next to me asking for the manager and an e-mail address where he could write an e-mail. When asked by the front desk how his stay was, he said "horrendous." He was asked why and told the girl he couldn't understand how or why the Hyatt allowed people to line up 10-14 hours before SoxFest would even start, he also said they were understaffed, etc. He told her he'd been coming to SoxFest for 13 years and has never had a worse experience. I was asked how my stay was and told her, "ok." She said, "just OK?" I told her I had the same frustrations as the guy before me.

Everything this weekend was just chaos and I came away very frustrated. I think if it weren't for my WSIer friends :smile:, this wouldn't have been a very fun weekend for me at all. Other than the supposedly larger ballrooms, I don't really see how moving this event to The Palmer House Hilton next year is going to alleviate any of the problems from this year.

Law11
01-30-2006, 01:59 PM
Having a pretty good gut feeling it would be insane down there I gave my 4 tickets up last week to a friend for Sat. he was so ticked off at the lack of
preparation from parking to the clinics. I'm glad I didnt bother.
Autographs have NEVER interested me, even as a kid and those souveniers are always overpriced. Considering I have so much WS Stuff already i didnt see the point in going.

Went to the boat in Elgin and won a couple hundred so I'm not complaining.

Iwritecode
01-30-2006, 02:02 PM
To say the hotel or the Sox did anything illegal this weekend is ridiculous. Neither organization is dumb enough to open itself up to any legal ramifications from this. Apparently you've never been to the Bears fan convention at the Hilton Towers.

I'd be really interested in the capacity of those those floors and the reason they never sold as many tickets in past years and still considered it "sold out".

Sad
01-30-2006, 02:04 PM
Having a pretty good gut feeling it would be insane down there I gave my 4 tickets up last week to a friend for Sat. he was so ticked off at the lack of
preparation from parking to the clinics. I'm glad I didnt bother.
Autographs have NEVER interested me, even as a kid and those souveniers are always overpriced. Considering I have so much WS Stuff already i didnt see the point in going.

yeah same here... really glad I blew it off...

Iwritecode
01-30-2006, 02:05 PM
Does anyone have the actual number? Over the weekend I heard 7500, now it's 9000? It may have been oversold, but I didn't find it absolutely horrible like some people did. Maybe I am more use to crowds for some reason.

I also think that maybe they sold some more tickets than usual because of the trophy room. IIRC, that room was never open during SoxFest before, so they added that capacity to the numbers.

Have I found past SoxFest experiences more enjoyable? Absolutely. But like I said, I'll take the trophy. Let this be an indication to the upcoming season. Some of us who are used to the 20K crowds and no waiting in line will have a rude awakening if they think that is what the park is going to be like this year.

There's been some years where the only game I go to is the Cubs/Sox game. I'm not sure I know what a 20K crowd is like.

The difference is that the people at the park are much better at handling large crowds.

People won't be lining up 15 hours beforehand to get in either. :wink:

Palehose13
01-30-2006, 02:18 PM

It depends if there is a popular promo where they only give away 20K items. I have a feeling that at times I may have to leave Milwaukee at 9am to go to the park instead of my usual 1pm. :o:

Hangar18
01-30-2006, 04:30 PM
yeah same here... really glad I blew it off...

Everything ISNT overpriced. Not at All. There are deals galore to be had.
I got the AL Central Champions long sleeve shirt (the won they wore after clinching the division) for $5. The batting practice top W the WS05 Patch? $50. Its a great way for the vendors to Unload extras of things they have, and for Fans to pick up some things they wouldnt have seen before.

This is kind of a big reason I go ...... to get some cool merchandise. But really, my main reason is just to see and hang out with friends. SoxFest really is "spring training" for fans ........ I enjoy myself every year and always a little bit sad when everything winds down on Sunday. But, as
Pete from Grandstand says "think of it this way, were a little bit closer to Opening Day"

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-30-2006, 07:50 PM
I was also disappointed with the way it was run. I felt that it was very disorganized. I would have only gotten Pierzynski if it wasn't for my dad getting Cotts and a wristband for McCarthy and Widger. We even stood in line for Anderson and Singleton and somehow got passed up by the wristband people. The need to change the way you get in line for a player, like a sign-up sheet or something. I think I saw about 4-5 people arguing with the line attendies.

It still was a good day as I walked away with 4 autographs, but it could have been better.

Domeshot17
01-30-2006, 09:01 PM
what was really upsetting, I honestly am not sure what line it was, but my girlfriends dad said he was in the front of an autograph line. They had 3 people handing out wristbands and it was at the front middle and very end. They ran out of wristbands, and the people in the back of the middle didnt get any but people behind them did. I love people showing up, I didnt mean to complain about the crowds because I think that is symbolic that this is no longer cubs town. However, i think they need to HANDLE the crowds better. I know they had little time to prepare, but Soxfest was sold out by september, that gives them over 4 months to come up with a much better plan of attack then the wristband idea.

I kinda felt like, you ever line up real early for a concert. I did it once for a show when I Was 16. Then when they open the doors and take your money, they tell you that all the bands are going to play at once and you only get to see one.

As for the season. I am very excited. I hope the crowd really shows up, not just physically, but according to Peter Gammons, we have the loudest fans in baseball. I hope for 82 games we show it, and make life hell for the opposing team by being as loud and RESPECTABLY rowdy as we can.

DannyCaterFan
01-30-2006, 09:34 PM
There's been some years where the only game I go to is the Cubs/Sox game. I'm not sure I know what a 20K crowd is like.

The difference is that the people at the park are much better at handling large crowds.

I am a huge Sox fan, but I have to put the blame where it should be, and that is right on the shoulders of the White Sox.This event was way oversold. I know we are World Champs and should expect an increase in interest but you should never hold an event in a facilty with limited space and allow that many people in. I did manage to enjoy a good part of the weekend, but I had been here the past 6 years and never was inconvenienced like this. Next year, limit sales to a true fair capacity limit, so the fans that do get tickets can truly enjoy themselves.

woodenleg
01-30-2006, 10:18 PM
As for the season. I am very excited. I hope the crowd really shows up, not just physically, but according to Peter Gammons, we have the loudest fans in baseball. I hope for 82 games we show it, and make life hell for the opposing team by being as loud and RESPECTABLY rowdy as we can.

We -must- have the loudest fans. I've been to games where there's
20,000 people and they are deafening.

ewokpelts
01-30-2006, 10:45 PM

Room Capacity is 5500
Gene

StockdaleForVeep
01-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Im unsatisfied i didnt go

esbrechtel
01-30-2006, 10:50 PM
This was my first sox fest and i enjoyed it...it was cool to see all the memorabilia and in all honesty it would have been nice to get a few more autographs but i really wasnt expecting to get too many. i think the biggest problem was the miscommunications....
heres an example, i was in line for pods with my dad on sat, i heard they were giving out wristbands for joe crede at 1 so i ran upstairs and got one, i then got in line with my wristband on and proceeded to wait...another fan asked about my band and i told him it was for crede at 1 and he told me i couldnt be in line for pods because i had that band...i was never told this and continued to wait in line, i then walked on stage where i passed 2 guards that said nothing to me and was next in line for pods when that fan told on me and they pulled me off of the stage...eventually after talking with a few guards they let me back on stage to get the autograph pods jokingly said he wouldnt sign because i cut and then after my jaw hit the floor he cracked up and gave me his auto....but i was so upset because i didnt know i did anything wrong and this fan told on me for no reason....it was not cool....other than that it was a fun weekend just hanging out with sox fans and enjoying the championship...

AWhiteSoxWinner
01-31-2006, 12:06 AM
I had an excellent time Sunday but I must say I am a seminar guy rather than an autograph guy. I have been to many Soxfest events and I have never waited for an autograph. That does look frustrating. Other than a massive crowd for the Pods/Crede seminar, I felt the crowds were not bad at all and I felt it died down earlier than past years. I also felt there were bargains to be had unless you want the premium autographed items. It was just nice being with other Sox fans..

StillMissOzzie
01-31-2006, 12:09 AM
There sure are a lot of SoxFest threads going now, so I thought that I'd share my experience/vent my spleen.
I got there Friday, bright and early, at 4:30PM or so. I got one look at the line, shook my head, and made myself comfortable in the lobby. I was certainly not getting any autographs on this night, at least not from the stages. The first wave of autograph sessions were already filled up, so I decided that Friday would be my shopping day. I bought a grab bag from the White Sox Charities, but I got nothing special. I almost always got an autographed baseball, even if not from a front-line star, but not this year. Then, I took a quick trip through the garage sale. As others have mentioned, it seems that they were getting a little greedy - $30 for the World Series newspaper edition of the Sun-Times? Come on! Glad I saved a few at $0.50.
By the time I got downstairs, it was confirmed that the 2nd wave of autograph sessions was filled up, so I toured the vendors. Hit the pecil pull and won a 1991 SGA tankard. Yeah, a lot of over-priced stuff, but a few bargains, too. Think about it-anything World Series related, if they didn't sell it this weekend, they were probably gonna be stuck with it, as I'm sure the souveneir and clothing market has peaked.
I went to the Farmer/Thome/Mackowiak/Singleton seminar, that was pretty good, and I got Farmer's autograph on an old card of his after the seminar was done. After 9:00PM, lounged around for a bit, had a cocktail and a Connie's pizza. Met up briefly with Hangar18, ChiSoxGirl, Chips, The Dude, JohnBasedowYoda (and forgive me if I forgot any others) Later on, Baines and Kittle made appearances (Melton was there already). I heard AJ showed up, but I never saw him. Later on, Brandon McCarthy and Brian Anderson made appearances, Brandon in the Atrium Bar and Brian, I caught just when I was fixing to leave, who was wandering around with McCarthy by then. I got both of them to autograph their World Series cards (wonder why they got them, since they weren't on the WS roster, but they were part of the 2005 campaign)
My Saturday SoxFest experience was much more a trainwreck. My son and I got there at the stroke of 10:00Am, which I knew from the prior night that it wouldn't be early enough, but I had no idea HOW wrong I was. It seemed like we wandered for blocks in the sub-terranean tunnels in search of the end of the line. Once the line finally started moving, it became the world's longest conga line, as we snaked up and down non-moving escalators, around a maze of chairs in an otherwise empty ballroom, around and around until we finally got to the entrance. By now, it was about 10:45. Again, it was clear we weren't anywhere near getting autographs from the early wave of signers, so we thought we'd start plotting for the 1:00PM or 3:00PM waves. I got into another line that I thought was the line to get a bracelet for Jermaine Dye's autograph, but I eventually learned that all those bracelets were given out. Our line thus evolved into a Konerko bracelet line, as he was the next signer at 3:00 or 3:30PM. During this time, at least my son got to go to the speed pitch, the batting cage, and the pencil pull (he got a pin from 1996, IIRC) They didn't start giving out those bracelets until Dye's line had formed up and was actually underway, somewhere around 1:30-2:00PM. By the time I got to where there were stil 30-40 people in front of me, and MANY more still behind me, in line, they told us that all of the Konerko bracelets were gone. So far, my Saturday SoxFest has consisted of about 4 hours of nothing but standing in line, and no autographs to show for it. NOTHING! While I heartily commend those in line ahead of me, those that went right from the bar Friday night to standing in line during the wee hours, if not dragging their pillows and blankets into the hallways to sleep in line, as others have mentioned, I just wish someone official had had the brains and/or cajones to tell those of us that were in line to give up hours earlier, as there was no chance of us getting any autographs. I did see one livid woman getting into some poor SoxFest peon's face, as if there was anything he could do, but I certainly shared her pain and anger. After this disaster, my son and I went to get some hot dogs, and I was oh so happy to toss out $11 for 2 dogs and an 8oz. bottle of Pepsi after all of this, but we were starving. We tried to see the Podsednik base-running seminar but couldn't get close enough to where my son could see anything. We tried to go to the Ozzie & KW seminar, but THAT room was bursting at the seams and you couldn't get withing 20 feet of the doors. We made one more tour of the garage sale, then we took a quick spin through Kid's Corner. At this point, neither of us felt like waiting in another line for Cliff Pollitte's autograph. We ended up leaving early, at about 3:30PM
Before someone else says, "Yeah, they won the World Series, what did you expect?", let me point out that I have been to many SoxFests already. Saturday has almost always been a "sellout", but it has NEVER been this bad. Overcrowded, chaotic, disorganized - I was very disappointed. Whether it was greed or stupidity or simply a desire to make more people happy, I heard more complaints about LineFest than ever before. I'd bet anything that more tickets than ever were sold, and add to that many more people willing to go to such extreme measures in lining up early. In retrospect, I feel that it's safe to say that if you weren't there at least 2-3 hours before the doors opened, it was already mathematically impossible to get an autograph, although nobody seemed to want to come out and admit it. Following my less-than-satisfying Friday and my very disappointing Saturday, I slept late Sunday and ate those tickets. My son wasn't interested in returning, and not only did I not blame him, I follwed suit.
When the Sox repeat in 2006, I think I'm staying home in January of 2007.

Sorry for the long rant, once I started typing I culdn't stop!

SMO
:angry:

Iwritecode
01-31-2006, 12:21 AM
I'd bet anything that more tickets than ever were sold,

It was confirmed in another thread that they sold double the amount of tickets than in previous years.

I agree whole-heartedly with your entire rant. I got in there a few hours earlier than you and managed to get a few auto's but just trying to breathe was almost impossible.

I can't imagine how many first-timers will be turned off from going again next year after this year's experience...

Iwritecode
01-31-2006, 12:26 AM
Room Capacity is 5500
Gene

For each floor? Cause if it is, they were way over that. That 9,000 figure doesn't include hotel staff, Sox staff, vendors, etc...

FarWestChicago
01-31-2006, 12:39 AM
There sure are a lot of SoxFest threads going now, so I thought that I'd share my experience/vent my spleen.The next time you vent spleen, remember paragraphs are your friend. :o:

thepaulbowski
01-31-2006, 07:37 AM
Boy, the White Sox win their first World Series since 1917 and the fans still find something to bitch about. No wonder some people refer to us fans as "bitter." Unbelievable. :rolleyes:

steff
01-31-2006, 07:55 AM
I am a huge Sox fan, but I have to put the blame where it should be, and that is right on the shoulders of the White Sox.This event was way oversold.

Which was the fault of the group in control of the tickets. Which wasn't the Sox.

chi_guy
01-31-2006, 08:05 AM
Boy, the White Sox win their first World Series since 1917 and the fans still find something to bitch about. No wonder some people refer to us fans as "bitter." Unbelievable. :rolleyes:

These sound like valid complaints to me. I'm glad I heard them.

INSox56
01-31-2006, 08:09 AM
This was my first sox fest and i enjoyed it...it was cool to see all the memorabilia and in all honesty it would have been nice to get a few more autographs but i really wasnt expecting to get too many. i think the biggest problem was the miscommunications....
heres an example, i was in line for pods with my dad on sat, i heard they were giving out wristbands for joe crede at 1 so i ran upstairs and got one, i then got in line with my wristband on and proceeded to wait...another fan asked about my band and i told him it was for crede at 1 and he told me i couldnt be in line for pods because i had that band...i was never told this and continued to wait in line, i then walked on stage where i passed 2 guards that said nothing to me and was next in line for pods when that fan told on me and they pulled me off of the stage...eventually after talking with a few guards they let me back on stage to get the autograph pods jokingly said he wouldnt sign because i cut and then after my jaw hit the floor he cracked up and gave me his auto....but i was so upset because i didnt know i did anything wrong and this fan told on me for no reason....it was not cool....other than that it was a fun weekend just hanging out with sox fans and enjoying the championship...

This is why people get pretty frustrated with the wristband crap. To make things as unfair as possible, all you have to do is run around to every line and get a wristband and the poor sap that waits in line for 4 hours gets screwed while they may be sitting with 5 wristbands on. One at a time, please........Thankfully they realized what was up, surprised they let you back in the Pods line at all

Ol' No. 2
01-31-2006, 09:02 AM
Room Capacity is 5500
GeneWhich is why I don't buy the "double the number of tickets". For that to happen, you have to believe one of two things:

1. Last year they limited tickets to half the number of tickets they could have sold.

2. They far exceeded the occupancy limit this year.

Neither of these is plausible.

Iwritecode
01-31-2006, 09:59 AM
Which is why I don't buy the "double the number of tickets". For that to happen, you have to believe one of two things:

1. Last year they limited tickets to half the number of tickets they could have sold.

2. They far exceeded the occupancy limit this year.

Neither of these is plausible.

3. Gene reported the wrong occupancy level.

Just remember this, they squeezed about 1000 people into one seminar room at one point in time.

#2 is more likely IMO (I'm not the only person who thought that while there) or the occupancy level is higher than we think. Especially considering the fact that they double-sold has been reported numerous times.

Ol' No. 2
01-31-2006, 10:08 AM
3. Gene reported the wrong occupancy level.

Just remember this, they squeezed about 1000 people into one seminar room at one point in time.

#2 is more likely IMO (I'm not the only person who thought that while there) or the occupancy level is higher than we think. Especially considering the fact that they double-sold has been reported numerous times.It doesn't matter whether Gene's number is right or wrong. Unless they've changed it from last year, one of those two statements has to be true. I find it very hard to believe that they would deliberately sell twice as many tickets as the occupancy limits would allow. It's certain to come out, the Sox would get a major black eye and the hotel would face stiff fines.

And the seminar rooms have always been SRO. I don't know how they could squeeze that many more people into one. They looked about the same as last year to me.

Edit: On top of that, consider what would have happened if there had been a fire or some disaster where lots of people were hurt or died, and it came out later that they'd sold twice the number of tickets as the capacity allowed. There would be hell to pay. The repercussions would have been enormous. Do you think they would take that chance?

ewokpelts
01-31-2006, 10:10 AM
There sure are a lot of SoxFest threads going now, so I thought that I'd share my experience/vent my spleen.
I got there Friday, bright and early, at 4:30PM or so. I got one look at the line, shook my head, and made myself comfortable in the lobby. I was certainly not getting any autographs on this night, at least not from the stages. The first wave of autograph sessions were already filled up, so I decided that Friday would be my shopping day. I bought a grab bag from the White Sox Charities, but I got nothing special. I almost always got an autographed baseball, even if not from a front-line star, but not this year. Then, I took a quick trip through the garage sale. As others have mentioned, it seems that they were getting a little greedy - $30 for the World Series newspaper edition of the Sun-Times? Come on! Glad I saved a few at $0.50.
By the time I got downstairs, it was confirmed that the 2nd wave of autograph sessions was filled up, so I toured the vendors. Hit the pecil pull and won a 1991 SGA tankard. Yeah, a lot of over-priced stuff, but a few bargains, too. Think about it-anything World Series related, if they didn't sell it this weekend, they were probably gonna be stuck with it, as I'm sure the souveneir and clothing market has peaked.
I went to the Farmer/Thome/Mackowiak/Singleton seminar, that was pretty good, and I got Farmer's autograph on an old card of his after the seminar was done. After 9:00PM, lounged around for a bit, had a cocktail and a Connie's pizza. Met up briefly with Hangar18, ChiSoxGirl, Chips, The Dude, JohnBasedowYoda (and forgive me if I forgot any others) Later on, Baines and Kittle made appearances (Melton was there already). I heard AJ showed up, but I never saw him. Later on, Brandon McCarthy and Brian Anderson made appearances, Brandon in the Atrium Bar and Brian, I caught just when I was fixing to leave, who was wandering around with McCarthy by then. I got both of them to autograph their World Series cards (wonder why they got them, since they weren't on the WS roster, but they were part of the 2005 campaign)
My Saturday SoxFest experience was much more a trainwreck. My son and I got there at the stroke of 10:00Am, which I knew from the prior night that it wouldn't be early enough, but I had no idea HOW wrong I was. It seemed like we wandered for blocks in the sub-terranean tunnels in search of the end of the line. Once the line finally started moving, it became the world's longest conga line, as we snaked up and down non-moving escalators, around a maze of chairs in an otherwise empty ballroom, around and around until we finally got to the entrance. By now, it was about 10:45. Again, it was clear we weren't anywhere near getting autographs from the early wave of signers, so we thought we'd start plotting for the 1:00PM or 3:00PM waves. I got into another line that I thought was the line to get a bracelet for Jermaine Dye's autograph, but I eventually learned that all those bracelets were given out. Our line thus evolved into a Konerko bracelet line, as he was the next signer at 3:00 or 3:30PM. During this time, at least my son got to go to the speed pitch, the batting cage, and the pencil pull (he got a pin from 1996, IIRC) They didn't start giving out those bracelets until Dye's line had formed up and was actually underway, somewhere around 1:30-2:00PM. By the time I got to where there were stil 30-40 people in front of me, and MANY more still behind me, in line, they told us that all of the Konerko bracelets were gone. So far, my Saturday SoxFest has consisted of about 4 hours of nothing but standing in line, and no autographs to show for it. NOTHING! While I heartily commend those in line ahead of me, those that went right from the bar Friday night to standing in line during the wee hours, if not dragging their pillows and blankets into the hallways to sleep in line, as others have mentioned, I just wish someone official had had the brains and/or cajones to tell those of us that were in line to give up hours earlier, as there was no chance of us getting any autographs. I did see one livid woman getting into some poor SoxFest peon's face, as if there was anything he could do, but I certainly shared her pain and anger. After this disaster, my son and I went to get some hot dogs, and I was oh so happy to toss out $11 for 2 dogs and an 8oz. bottle of Pepsi after all of this, but we were starving. We tried to see the Podsednik base-running seminar but couldn't get close enough to where my son could see anything. We tried to go to the Ozzie & KW seminar, but THAT room was bursting at the seams and you couldn't get withing 20 feet of the doors. We made one more tour of the garage sale, then we took a quick spin through Kid's Corner. At this point, neither of us felt like waiting in another line for Cliff Pollitte's autograph. We ended up leaving early, at about 3:30PM
Before someone else says, "Yeah, they won the World Series, what did you expect?", let me point out that I have been to many SoxFests already. Saturday has almost always been a "sellout", but it has NEVER been this bad. Overcrowded, chaotic, disorganized - I was very disappointed. Whether it was greed or stupidity or simply a desire to make more people happy, I heard more complaints about LineFest than ever before. I'd bet anything that more tickets than ever were sold, and add to that many more people willing to go to such extreme measures in lining up early. In retrospect, I feel that it's safe to say that if you weren't there at least 2-3 hours before the doors opened, it was already mathematically impossible to get an autograph, although nobody seemed to want to come out and admit it. Following my less-than-satisfying Friday and my very disappointing Saturday, I slept late Sunday and ate those tickets. My son wasn't interested in returning, and not only did I not blame him, I follwed suit.
When the Sox repeat in 2006, I think I'm staying home in January of 2007.

Sorry for the long rant, once I started typing I culdn't stop!

SMO
:angry:I got a Magglio Auto ball from the White Sox gift Shop Grab Box. That was only 20(as opposed to the 25 for the grab bag from CWSC)
Gene

LauraJ14
01-31-2006, 10:59 AM
Since I have been to Soxfest in the past, I knew that I needed to be in line earlier this year since there were going to be lots more people attending. My sister and I had 2 goals, Konerko and Pod's autograph's. We were in line at about 12:30 on Friday and were sent to the West Tower but found some cool people to talk to and watched the World Series DVD while waiting in line. Was able to get into Konerko's line on Friday night but wasn't able to do anymore autograph's. Went in the Trophy line and waited about 45 minutes for a picture, we were joking that would be the shortest line of the weekend.
Saturday we were down in line at 6:30am so that we could get in the Pod's line which we were able to get his autograph and then spend much of the rest of the day in the Seminar room, went to the garage sale and checked out the vendors. We had tickets for the Garland signing on Saturday so did that and we were finished for the day.
Sunday, we were downstairs at 6am for the Crede line and we thought that we weren't going to make it in but did. Sunday's lines were much more organized. Since we got the autographs we wanted and bought the merchandise that we wanted, we left at noon.
My only complaint was just waiting in line for everything, (bathrooms, food, escalator etc) but you know that is what the ballpark is going to be all season long so I guess we are going to have to get used to it.
I had a good time and accomplished much of what I wanted to do.

Palehose13
01-31-2006, 12:08 PM
For each floor? Cause if it is, they were way over that. That 9,000 figure doesn't include hotel staff, Sox staff, vendors, etc...

:?:

If it is 5500 each floor and 9000 tickets were sold, you honestly believe that Staff and vendors make up 2000 people?

IMO, the real difference was Friday and Sunday. I thought Saturday was a bit more crowded than usual, but not double the crowd.

Before we continue to make assumptions about how many tickets were sold and what capacity is, I would like to see some credible sources. I have to agree with ON2 that I find it very difficult to believe that they would sell more tickets than capacity. There's a little law about stuff like that.

MUsoxfan
01-31-2006, 12:28 PM

I remember seeing a sign in the Garage Sale room that said the occupancy limit without tables was 50 people. Anyone see less than 75 people in that room all weekend?

steff
01-31-2006, 12:30 PM
I remember seeing a sign in the Garage Sale room that said the occupancy limit without tables was 50 people. Anyone see less than 75 people in that room all weekend?

We got lucky about 1:15 on Saturday. There was maybe 20 people in there for a good 15 minutes. Got my "crap" and got out.. :D:

MUsoxfan
01-31-2006, 12:42 PM
We got lucky about 1:15 on Saturday. There was maybe 20 people in there for a good 15 minutes. Got my "crap" and got out.. :D:

Even with 75-100 people in that room, it wasn't too hard to shuffle around. The only problem was trying to shuffle through all the jerseys in a crowd.

Iwritecode
01-31-2006, 01:06 PM

If it is 5500 each floor and 9000 tickets were sold, you honestly believe that Staff and vendors make up 2000 people?

IMO, the real difference was Friday and Sunday. I thought Saturday was a bit more crowded than usual, but not double the crowd.

Before we continue to make assumptions about how many tickets were sold and what capacity is, I would like to see some credible sources. I have to agree with ON2 that I find it very difficult to believe that they would sell more tickets than capacity. There's a little law about stuff like that.

It's already been proven earlier in this thread that double the number of tickets were sold this year.

They may have technically be under the capacity but do they only figure the capacity level when it's empty? The stages, booths, seats, etc... took up a lot of room too.

Ol' No. 2
01-31-2006, 01:16 PM
It's already been proven earlier in this thread that double the number of tickets were sold this year.

They may have technically be under the capacity but do they only figure the capacity level when it's empty? The stages, booths, seats, etc... took up a lot of room too.The seminar rooms have always been SRO with people lined up down the sides. None of the ones I attended this year looked to have significantly more people than previous years.

The autograph lines didn't contain more people because those numbers are set at 400 or 500 or whatever their limit was.

So if there were double the number of people, and if they weren't in the autograph lines or the seminar rooms, where were they? It was definately more crowded, but you'd be surprised how much more crowded it might seem with a relatively small number of extra people.

I believe the room capacities are set by the exit capabilities and not by the room size.

I'm still not buying the 2X factor.

INSox56
01-31-2006, 01:16 PM
To me it's less of a room capacity/fire code issue. It's just the "respect" issue if you want to call it that. Even if they sold less than room capacity, it's just kinda disrespectful to people to intentionally sell more tickets, when in past years it was crowded enough (not to say bad, but "comfortably crowded" if you will). Room capacity or not, it's just crappy to knowingly screw people.

Palehose13
01-31-2006, 01:20 PM

They may have technically be under the capacity but do they only figure the capacity level when it's empty? The stages, booths, seats, etc... took up a lot of room too.

Sorry, I can't find in this thread where you proved how many tickets were sold. You mention something about another thread. If you could help me out here, that would be great. However, I hope it's not something that was heard on a newscast. I would like to know the actual amount of tickets taken at the gate. The hotel packages get 4 tickets for each day per room and I didn't use all of my tickets every day. I am sure that I am not the only one, so this would have to knock down the "tickets sold" number.

DannyCaterFan
01-31-2006, 01:22 PM
Which was the fault of the group in control of the tickets. Which wasn't the Sox.

Am I mistaken, or wasn't this a White Sox event and they sold the tickets?
I admit that Sunday was a whole lot better than Saturday, but I have attended the last few years on Saturday (all of which were sold out) and this year it was practically impossible to move around or atend seminars.
Somebody simply oversold this event!

Palehose13
01-31-2006, 01:22 PM
To me it's less of a room capacity/fire code issue. It's just the "respect" issue if you want to call it that. Even if they sold less than room capacity, it's just kinda disrespectful to people to intentionally sell more tickets, when in past years it was crowded enough (not to say bad, but "comfortably crowded" if you will). Room capacity or not, it's just crappy to knowingly screw people.

I don't know how anyone was "knowingly screwing" anyone else. Buying a ticket to SoxFest does not guarantee you an autograph. Besides, many people go there for other things besides autographs and it sounds to me like those people were (for the most part) satisfied.

Iwritecode
01-31-2006, 01:24 PM
Sorry, I can't find in this thread where you proved how many tickets were sold. You mention something about another thread. If you could help me out here, that would be great. However, I hope it's not something that was heard on a newscast. I would like to know the actual amount of tickets taken at the gate. The hotel packages get 4 tickets for each day per room and I didn't use all of my tickets every day. I am sure that I am not the only one, so this would have to knock down the "tickets sold" number.

OK, so I got my soxfest threads mixed up. :redface:

Here it is directly from the Sox website. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1019703&postcount=51)

Iwritecode
01-31-2006, 01:26 PM
The seminar rooms have always been SRO with people lined up down the sides. None of the ones I attended this year looked to have significantly more people than previous years.

The autograph lines didn't contain more people because those numbers are set at 400 or 500 or whatever their limit was.

So if there were double the number of people, and if they weren't in the autograph lines or the seminar rooms, where were they? It was definately more crowded, but you'd be surprised how much more crowded it might seem with a relatively small number of extra people.

I believe the room capacities are set by the exit capabilities and not by the room size.

I'm still not buying the 2X factor.

Where were the extra people? Did you go down to the bottom floor? The lines for stages one and two were both extending past the elevators and into the area with the booths. It was nearly impossible to even get off the escalators at one point.

INSox56
01-31-2006, 01:26 PM
I don't know how anyone was "knowingly screwing" anyone else. Buying a ticket to SoxFest does not guarantee you an autograph. Besides, many people go there for other things besides autographs and it sounds to me like those people were (for the most part) satisfied.
Oh no, I'm not doubting that many others were satisfied, hell, I was. I had a good time but in the past, sure I had to wait in line, but I was able to do more than one thing. I was able to wait in line a bit, then go to seminars, etc. This year, you either 1) wait 6 hours for an autograph in line or 2) didn't get any. I wouldn't really say knowingly screwing anyone, I'd just say this...I know that if it was comfortably crowded (on saturdays mostly) the last few years and I add 4,000 more (or whatever the math works out to be) tickets per day, I sure do know that it's not going to be near the same experience...

Iwritecode
01-31-2006, 01:32 PM

Exactly. Last year on Saturday it was crowded but with a little planning and getting there a little bit early I had no problems at all.

This year on Sunday every single autograph booth for the whole day was full by 9AM. That's 4,600 autographs/people right there. Plus every single seminar and training clinic was full. Add in all the rest of the people just walking around and I have no problem believing there were about 9,000 people there.

Palehose13
01-31-2006, 01:41 PM
OK, so I got my soxfest threads mixed up. :redface:

Here it is directly from the Sox website. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1019703&postcount=51)

Thanks.

Ok, so we are looking at about 8,333/day.

Here is the link for the capacties at the Hyatt: http://chicagoregency.hyatt.com/hyatt/images/hotels/chirc/capacity.pdf

If I am correct, SoxFest was in:

Riverside Exhibition Hall: 5,000 cap
Grand Ballroom: 2,700 cap
Columbus Hall: 1,100 cap
Maximun Capacity of Area 8,800

Is it going to be tight? Absolutely.

My thought is that people would have bitched if they only sold 5K tickets per day cause they wouldn't have had harder time getting a ticket. So now people are complaining because it was crowded when the Sox tried to accomodate more fans (remember, it was sold out and THEN they decided to sell more tickets because of overwhelming requests).

In regards to the disorganization, IMO, you can plan all you want, but there are going to be kinks the first time. The people organizing obviously improved by time Sunday came.

Once again, this is the price of a World Championship and I'll take it any day.

*edit: Now that I spent most of my prep time figuring this out, I should go back to work.

Ol' No. 2
01-31-2006, 01:54 PM
Thanks.

Here is the link for the capacties at the Hyatt: http://chicagoregency.hyatt.com/hyatt/images/hotels/chirc/capacity.pdf

My thought is that people would have bitched if they only sold 5K tickets per day cause they wouldn't have had harder time getting a ticket. So now people are complaining because it was crowded when the Sox tried to accomodate more fans (remember, it was sold out and THEN they decided to sell more tickets because of overwhelming requests).

In regards to the disorganization, IMO, you can plan all you want, but there are going to be kinks the first time. The people organizing obviously improved by time Sunday came.

*edit: Now that I spent most of my prep time figuring this out, I should go back to work.I think it was a lot more than just better organization on Sunday. I think a lot of people with tickets stayed home on Sunday...maybe because two days were enough, maybe some went to church on Sunday morning...whatever.

You hit the nail on the head, though. Would you rather be bitching because it was too crowded or bitching because you couldn't get a ticket?

Iwritecode
01-31-2006, 01:58 PM
Thanks.

*edit: Now that I spent most of my prep time figuring this out, I should go back to work.

There are still people bitching that they couldn't get tickets.

Soxfest has always been known as a fairly small and intimate setting with not many tickets available. I'm not sure selling an extra few thousand tickets was worth having so many people come for the first time and have an experience that was nothing like what they were told of past Soxfests.

I almost feel bad for telling people how easy it was to get in, get a handful of autographs and make it to the seminars all in one day...

Iwritecode
01-31-2006, 01:59 PM
Would you rather be bitching because it was too crowded or bitching because you couldn't get a ticket?

I talked to a number of people who would pick the latter option.

You could almost compare it to paying to go to a game and then having to watch the whole thing on a TV on the concourse because it's so crowded. Why waste the money?

Palehose13
01-31-2006, 02:02 PM
There are still people bitching that they couldn't get tickets.

Soxfest has always been known as a fairly small and intimate setting with not many tickets available. I'm not sure selling an extra few thousand tickets was worth having so many people come for the first time and have an experience that was nothing like what they were told of past Soxfests.

I almost feel bad for telling people how easy it was to get in, get a handful of autographs and make it to the seminars all in one day...

I agree, but things have changed. Going to U.S. Cellular field was a small, intimate setting in years past also (except for a few dates). I don't think that experience will be there again this year.

Code, I understand what you are saying about the two different experiences. Chances are that eventually it will go back to being that. I really don't fear that SoxFest 2009 will be a mad house. Either the novelty of being constant World Champions would have worn off or the novelty just wore off and it'll be back to us diehards drinking with the "scrubs" at the bar. :wink:

Iwritecode
01-31-2006, 02:10 PM
I agree, but things have changed. Going to U.S. Cellular field was a small, intimate setting in years past also (except for a few dates). I don't think that experience will be there again this year.

Code, I understand what you are saying about the two different experiences. Chances are that eventually it will go back to being that. I really don't fear that SoxFest 2009 will be a mad house. Either the novelty of being constant World Champions would have worn off or the novelty just wore off and it'll be back to us diehards drinking with the "scrubs" at the bar. :wink:

I think what really gets me is their definition of "sold out". Last year was "sold out" but not too bad. There was some elbow room. If the crowds this year were the same as Saturday last year, I could've dealt with that no problem. This year "sold out" meant double the amount as last year. I was not expecting that at all.

The games are easier. When they say a game is sold out I know exactly what to expect. I know when I show up, there's not going to be 80,000 people there.

I can only hope you're right about the novelty wearing off in a few years. I can imagine they've already scared a few people away from next year.

Ol' No. 2
01-31-2006, 02:18 PM
I talked to a number of people who would pick the latter option.

You could almost compare it to paying to go to a game and then having to watch the whole thing on a TV on the concourse because it's so crowded. Why waste the money?I think you'd be surprised at how much more crowded it feels with a relatively small number of additional people once it gets close to capacity. The long lines to get in are more a matter of people's expectations. I don't recall people lining up at midnight the night before in previous years. That's not a direct result of the number of tickets sold - it's just people reacting to their expectations. Enough people do the same thing and you wind up with ridiculously long lines, even though the total number of people may not be that different. When people expect long lines they get there early, creating longer lines.

Also, they definately sold more hotel packages. Those people would be more likely to get there early and stay late, exacerbating the crowding and long lines.

I have to assume the move to the Palmer House is motivated by having more space. They have several large exhibit halls and many smaller rooms that might be suitable for an autograph stage. The long autograph lines would be less of a problem if they had more stages.

Iwritecode
01-31-2006, 02:30 PM
I have to assume the move to the Palmer House is motivated by having more space. They have several large exhibit halls and many smaller rooms that might be suitable for an autograph stage. The long autograph lines would be less of a problem if they had more stages.

More stages would definitely help. I think that's why Sunday was better because they finally made better use of the ballroom by having people line up for Konerko there first. Normally that room is half-empty.

IggyD
01-31-2006, 02:37 PM
NO, NAO, 不, Nr, Non, Nein, Αριθ., いいえ, 아니다, Нет

I Loved every Hour, Minute, Second

steff
01-31-2006, 02:38 PM
Am I mistaken, or wasn't this a White Sox event and they sold the tickets?

You're mistaken. White Sox Soxfest, Hosted by the Hyatt.

dickallen15
01-31-2006, 02:57 PM
The White Sox sold the tickets, at least that's what my credit card company said. I would assume the Hyatt told them how much they could handle, and they probably get a cut of each ticket sold. It was way too crowded, and I don't even go for autographs. It was so crowded, it was getting very hot downstairs.

INSox56
01-31-2006, 03:22 PM
I agree with code...I'd rather it be less tickets, more intimate. If I get tickets, awesome, I know that I got them ahead of time (like every year anyway). I'll feel more special with the smaller intimate crowd/setting. It's just like season tickets...if you got them early, you got the perks. If you tried to get SF tix early, there should be plenty available. You CAN get tickets way way way in advance for SF, it's not like single game tickets where it's really late before you can buy them.

Palehose13
01-31-2006, 04:10 PM
I agree with code...I'd rather it be less tickets, more intimate. If I get tickets, awesome, I know that I got them ahead of time (like every year anyway). I'll feel more special with the smaller intimate crowd/setting. It's just like season tickets...if you got them early, you got the perks. If you tried to get SF tix early, there should be plenty available. You CAN get tickets way way way in advance for SF, it's not like single game tickets where it's really late before you can buy them.

I don't understand the point that you are trying to make about when tickets go on sale. Single game ticket usually go on sa,e about 2 months before the regular season. When did SoxFest tickets go on sale? October? All I see is a one month difference.

Jaffar
01-31-2006, 04:13 PM
Well add another blackeye to our fans. A disgruntled Soxfest attendee was just on Mac/Jurko/Harry talking about fights that broke out saturday and guys hitting women in line(he literally said he saw a man punch a woman in the face). I didn't witness any or hear anything about this but now everyone listening to ESPN radio 1000 around 3:30 heard all about it.

Palehose13
01-31-2006, 04:25 PM
Well add another blackeye to our fans. A disgruntled Soxfest attendee was just on Mac/Jurko/Harry talking about fights that broke out saturday and guys hitting women in line(he literally said he saw a man punch a woman in the face). I didn't witness any or hear anything about this but now everyone listening to ESPN radio 1000 around 3:30 heard all about it.

I wonder how credible this person is. I'm not questioning your credibility because I am sure that you heard it on the radio. I question the caller.

I swear to Buddha, it just seems to me that some people aren't happy if they aren't complaining.

"I can't get tickets to SoxFest"
"People are asking too much money for their SoxFest tickets."
"SoxFest is too crowded."
"Why can't the players sign until their arm falls off?"
"Why can't the Sox demand that every single player on the roster goes to SoxFest?"
"Since I went to SoxFest, I deserve an autographed team ball."
"I can't believe that the Sox made me buy a $30 newspaper!"
"Why didn't I get to share a room with a player?"

woodenleg
01-31-2006, 04:25 PM

I can assure you that if that's true (any idiot can call up a radio station and make all sorts of b.s. claims), those people weren't there because they were fans.

Like, remember that one guy at that one game who knocked a kid out the way to get a ball? Some grown men act like children when autographs are involved - doesn't make them fans, just greedy.

steff
01-31-2006, 04:26 PM

I don't understand the point that you are trying to make about when tickets go on sale. Single game ticket usually go on sa,e about 2 months before the regular season. When did SoxFest tickets go on sale? October? All I see is a one month difference.

September 19th

Palehose13
01-31-2006, 04:30 PM
September 19th

Ok, 1 1/2 month difference. I still fail to see the point that he was trying to make.

I can't wait to see the threads for when the Sox make the playoffs and people realize that playoff tickets are not going to be sold because of the amount of season ticket holders. Those are going to be some good reads. :cool:

steff
01-31-2006, 04:31 PM
Ok, 1 1/2 month difference. I still fail to see the point that he was trying to make.

I can't wait to see the threads for when the Sox make the playoffs and people realize that playoff tickets are not going to be sold because of the amount of season ticket holders. Those are going to be some good reads. :cool:

I think the point was that if you buy when they go on sale versus waiting.. you get tickets. :tongue:

Palehose13
01-31-2006, 04:35 PM
I think the point was that if you buy when they go on sale versus waiting.. you get tickets. :tongue:

That's a novel idea. I bet no one else ever thought of that before. Can you now explain how the hell that informative piece of information fits in with being unsatisfied with SoxFest?

Baby Fisk
01-31-2006, 04:36 PM
I swear to Buddha, it just seems to me that some people aren't happy if they aren't complaining.

"Why can't the Sox demand that every single player on the roster goes to SoxFest?"
"Why can't they do Soxfest in Toronto?"

Palehose13
01-31-2006, 04:37 PM
"Why can't they do Soxfest in Toronto?"

:D:

*edit: Now I am waiting for the grammar police to complain about using two negatives in the same sentence. I expect something like: "Your not supposed to use are'nt twice."

steff
01-31-2006, 04:44 PM
That's a novel idea. I bet no one else ever thought of that before. Can you now explain how the hell that informative piece of information fits in with being unsatisfied with SoxFest?

No.. but would you like me to explain how unsatisfied I am with you right now... :mad:

Palehose13
01-31-2006, 04:45 PM
No.. but would you like me to explain how unsatisfied I am with you right now... :mad:

LOL...shoot. PM me if you think it'll get you banned. :wink:

DannyCaterFan
01-31-2006, 04:47 PM
You're mistaken. White Sox Soxfest, Hosted by the Hyatt.

Hosted by the Hyatt yes, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think the Sox had something to do with selling the tickets. Look, had a great time, but Saturday was just too crowded and they should have known better than to sell that many tickets.:angry:

Ol' No. 2
01-31-2006, 04:50 PM
Well add another blackeye to our fans. A disgruntled Soxfest attendee was just on Mac/Jurko/Harry talking about fights that broke out saturday and guys hitting women in line(he literally said he saw a man punch a woman in the face). I didn't witness any or hear anything about this but now everyone listening to ESPN radio 1000 around 3:30 heard all about it.Anyone here see anything like that? I sure as hell didn't. I call BS (on the caller, not you). Two bits says he wasn't even at SoxFest.

steff
01-31-2006, 04:50 PM
Hosted by the Hyatt yes, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think the Sox had something to do with selling the tickets. Look, had a great time, but Saturday was just too crowded and they should have known better than to sell that many tickets.:angry:

When I checked in at 11am on Friday the kid behind the counter told me "good thing you got here early.. we double sold the entire weekend". Not to mention from Boyer's mouth he explained what happned and why the Sox are going to the Hilton next year. That's good enough for me versus a bunch of pissy folks speculating and playing the usual blame game.

Palehose13
01-31-2006, 04:52 PM
When I checked in at 11am on Friday the kid behind the counter told me "good thing you got here early.. we double sold the entire weekend". Not to mention from Boyer's mouth he explained what happned and why the Sox are going to the Hilton next year. That's good enough for me versus a bunch of pissy folks speculating and playing the usual blame game.

C'mon steff, the Sox are the root of all evil. Didn't you hear that they caused Hurricane Katrina?

INSox56
01-31-2006, 04:54 PM
Steff said it simply....you want tickets, get them early. I'd assume most would rather not get tickets than go through what this weekend was. I've seen some others' posts about bringing their kids there. With the amount of people as were there last year, you could get there PRETTY early with kids and wait in a few lines and have a great time. Imagine having your kid there, wanting a big league player's autograph (which wasn't hard to do in the past even when last year was sold out on saturday) and having to A) wait in one line for 4+ hours or b) not getting anything at all.

DaveIsHere
01-31-2006, 05:06 PM
Anyone here see anything like that? I sure as hell didn't. I call BS (on the caller, not you). Two bits says he wasn't even at SoxFest.

Probably a Flub fan calling trying to start crap, what do you expect?

IggyD
01-31-2006, 09:34 PM
I wonder how credible this person is. I'm not questioning your credibility because I am sure that you heard it on the radio. I question the caller.

Funny..funny...funny

I had a great time, the crowds made me feel like the Sox Army was in force. I know we will have deserters in the future...but hey....I am always excited to talk to anyone willing to listen and be excited with me. I saw only respectful, patient people during my 3 days. Next year I hope it is as crowded and the Buzzzzz is everywhere again.

To everyone that feel it was a bummer...have a :gulp: and relax. Watch the faces on the people around you and realize that the magic continues.

Two By Four
01-31-2006, 11:40 PM
I had a great time, the crowds made me feel like the Sox Army was in force. I know we will have deserters in the future...but hey....I am always excited to talk to anyone willing to listen and be excited with me. I saw only respectful, patient people during my 3 days. Next year I hope it is as crowded and the Buzzzzz is everywhere again.

To everyone that feel it was a bummer...have a :gulp: and relax. Watch the faces on the people around you and realize that the magic continues.
WOW what a thread! I just read the whole thing start to finish...riveting. Just today I had a marketing meeting with the Sox and this whole notion of how core fans will react to the onslaught of "new" fans was discussed in depth. I can't go into everyone's opinions from that discussion, but I can give mine...

My experience with core fans is largely connected to this site and the priceless information and thoughts that have helped me to write and concept the Sox Grinder campaign. I often times expect the core fans here to react one way and then they surprise me. So I will tell you all this, core fans have a HUGE opportunity here, this year, this time. IF each hard core fan decided that now was the time to enlist as many bandwagon fans into the "Sox Army" as possible by relating the stories and the fun and the experiences that I read here every day, well then in a few years this would be a one baseball team town and we would have these "SoxFest problems" every year. Maybe that is too huge to even dream of, but it damn sure ought to be the goal.

Imagine one sunny day in May, a hard core WSI Sox fan sitting in his season ticket seats along the third base line near the foul pole, looks over and notices an obvious bandwagon couple. This husband and wife are there to enjoy their first Sox game. They strike up a conversation. Bob (playing the role of the husband) scored the tickets from his boss (a Sox ST holder) because he was out of town.

"Man I hope I get a Sox home run ball." Bob pines.

"Sure that would be great, Bob. But I've been coming to games for twenty years and I've yet to even get a finger on a home run ball by either team, let alone a Sox home run."

"But you wouldn't want to get your hands on the other team's home run ball because then you'd have to throw it back," Bob puffs to impress his wife with his vast Chicago baseball knowledge.

No Bob. That is not the case. Because here—in this place—as a SOX Fan, we don't throw the other team's home run ball back. We give it to a kid because that kid will cherish it forever as the ball he got from some cool guy named Bob when he went to his first Sox game. And he won't care (or remember) who hit it.

Then Bob and Mary (that's the wife's name) go home. They're so excited about the Sox win and thier new appreciation for Sox traditions, they make a baby, have it nine months later, and eventually think to take little Bobby (the kid's name) to his first baseball game—one he will remember forever.

I think core fans have a huge opportunity to profoundly change the course of Chicago baseball and the choices new fans will make in the future. We all know that we will not always be World Champions. But when that day comes (five years from now!) will we still be able to sell out games? I hope so and if we do, it won't be because we are "loveable losers", it will be because being a Sox fan is important and matters and means something that is bigger than wins and losses. It's about a style of play, like Grinder Ball or small ball or whatever ball. But it's also about the core fan. I believe that how most of you here—the corest of core fans—choose to act around these throngs of bandwagon fans like the ones at SoxFest, well, that could decide whether or not we have to find a bigger place for future SoxFests (I sure hope it's Canada like someone suggested, cuz' it's a big place and they have Mounties!)

SouthSide_HitMen
02-01-2006, 12:07 AM
I think core fans have a huge opportunity to profoundly change the course of Chicago baseball and the choices new fans will make in the future.

When sports league / teams talk and dream about "expanding the fan base" usually their plans include pissing off the core fans thinking they must change to get more people to like the sport / team. They don't. They just have to do their jobs better - i.e. getting good players and broadcasting the games competently.

Expanding the fan base in the NHL meant over expansion, watered down teams, loss of television and a cancelled season due the poor economics caused by the league's "expand the base" mode.

If the White Sox want to sellout their ballpark - sign good players, try to retain what little outside of the diamond talent they have (i.e. announcers, Nancy, scoreboard, etc.) and serve up beer, hot dogs and churros. Everything else is just noise.

Core fans will continue to watch, listen to and attend games, but the experience will not be as enjoyable for most if they screw up the basics (i.e. not replace Nancy) and the "bandwagon fans" will come and go based on performance. This is true over 100 years of baseball. Unlike the NFL with 8 games (and 2 exhibition games) baseball needs to fill the place 81 times. Unless the product is very good on the field, your attendance will lag after the thrill of a new stadium wears off. Ask Cincinnati, Pittsburgh or Milwaukee fans who excited they are about their respective parks.

Milwaukee looks like they are starting to bounce back because Bud Selig's incompetent ass is gone and they have an owner who cares about winning and is signing and developing players to do so. Having a free final game of the season day is the best PR possible (and the team actually made millions on the free tickets when you factor parking, concessions, etc.). Having a club who will compete over the next few years will be even better for attracting fans. It is really that simple.

Two By Four
02-01-2006, 12:16 AM
When sports league / teams talk and dream about "expanding the fan base" usually their plans include pissing off the core fans thinking they must change to get more people to like the sport / team. They don't. They just have to do their jobs better - i.e. getting good players and broadcasting the games competently.

Expanding the fan base in the NHL meant over expansion, watered down teams, loss of television and a cancelled season due the poor economics caused by the league's "expand the base" mode.

If the White Sox want to sellout their ballpark - sign good players, try to retain what little outside of the diamond talent they have (i.e. announcers, Nancy, scoreboard, etc.) and serve up beer, hot dogs and churros. Everything else is just noise.

Core fans will continue to watch, listen to and attend games, but the experience will not be as enjoyable for most if they screw up the basics (i.e. not replace Nancy) and the "bandwagon fans" will come and go based on performance. This is true over 100 years of baseball. Unlike the NFL with 8 games (and 2 exhibition games) baseball needs to fill the place 81 times. Unless the product is very good on the field, your attendance will lag after the thrill of a new stadium wears off. Ask Cincinnati, Pittsburgh or Milwaukee fans who excited they are about their respective parks.

Milwaukee looks like they are starting to bounce back because Bud Selig's incompetent ass is gone and they have an owner who cares about winning and is signing and developing players to do so. Having a free final game of the season day is the best PR possible (and the team actually made millions on the free tickets when you factor parking, concessions, etc.). Having a club who will compete over the next few years will be even better for attracting fans. It is really that simple.
I don't disagree that things like Nancy, better players, and better hot dogs attract fans. But if that was all it was about then the Cubs would have lost fans years ago. The reality is that we play ball in a town where the things you mentioned are only part of the story. Anyone that has been to a Sox games knows it is a far better experience than a Cubs game, yet those losers continue to be among the league leaders in attendance. Obviously there is more to it than just better players and better food. I still think the perception of the core fan base is part of the equation. If not, we wouldn't be so offended when idiots call radio talk shows and reinforce the negative angry Sox Fan image. Like I said, I agree with alot of what you said, but there is more to building team loyalty than just those things, especially in this town.

Iwritecode
02-01-2006, 12:22 AM
I don't disagree that things like Nancy, better players, and better hot dogs attract fans. But if that was all it was about then the Cubs would have lost fans years ago.

The Cubs organization is a freak of nature. There's no other sports team on the planet like it. They're the only ones who have managed to convince their fans that the "experience" of the ballpark is better than having a winning team.

Please don't use them as a basis for comparison.

SouthSide_HitMen
02-01-2006, 12:25 AM
I don't disagree that things like Nancy, better players, and better hot dogs attract fans. But if that was all it was about then the Cubs would have lost fans years ago. The reality is that we play ball in a town where the things you mentioned are only part of the story. Anyone that has been to a Sox games knows it is a far better experience than a Cubs game, yet those losers continue to be among the league leaders in attendance. Obviously there is more to it than just better players and better food. I still think the perception of the core fan base is part of the equation. If not, we wouldn't be so offended when idiots call radio talk shows and reinforce the negative angry Sox Fan image. Like I said, I agree with alot of what you said, but there is more to building team loyalty than just those things, especially in this town.

The cub fan base is starting to erode. Living on the Northside, I know many Cubs fans. Unlike encounters documented on this board, they handled the White Sox championship with class as did I. But they all said they have less interest in the Cubs - even the die hard season ticket holders. They have been going to less games each year and plan on attending even less in 2006.

The Tribune is even nervous about losing their fan base which is why the bumped up payroll over the past few years. The days of the cubs counting on Wrigley alone to pack them in are coming to an end. Their attendance run was a brief blip on the radar of 100 years of baseball in this town. This too shall pass.

Two By Four
02-01-2006, 12:27 AM
Having a club who will compete over the next few years will be even better for attracting fans. It is really that simple.
And by the way, I think you missed my point. I wasn't suggesting that having a competative team wasn't a requirement. It is. My concern is converting more core fans like yourself. This is the year to do that. Like you said core fans will continue to watch, win or lose. We have a chance to add to those ranks. That's my only point. Field a good competative team and core fans will watch. So one strategy aim at adding more loyal fans is to add to the ranks of core fans. I couldn't agree more that alienating the core fan is a HUGE mistake. In fact, I think it is key that we don't.

Two By Four
02-01-2006, 12:34 AM
The cub fan base is starting to erode...
The Cubs have ranked in the top ten in attendance in as far back as MLB lists attendance on their website. In the last three years they are just out of the top five with a ranking of 6. I sure hope it passes, but short of the Bartman year, they've been a badly managed, poor baseball experience in each of those years. So there is something else to it. Maybe it is just the combination of "World's largest beer garden" and a ton of young college-aged kids. But they show growth in bad years. We don't.

FarWestChicago
02-01-2006, 12:53 AM
Closed due to Flubsession.

I don't have the time or energy to split the ****ing bull**** posts out.