PDA

View Full Version : Any Good Info From the Seminars?

ws05champs
01-29-2006, 02:35 PM
Most of the threads about Soxfest seem to be comments about how crowded it was. I always go to the seminars and because of the sell out I couldn't make the event at all.

Did anybody get any good info, quotes, etc from the seminars?

Brian26
01-29-2006, 03:34 PM
Lots of good stuff, but I wish I had taken some notes. This story's been out rumored, but Ozzie confirmed that he originally had Pablo Ozuna scheduled to pinch hit instead of Blum in the Top of the 14th after PK hit into the doubleplay. I heard KW mention in an interview recently that Ozzie was going to let Pablo pitch the bottom of the 14th if we didn't score, and this sort of goes along with what Ozzie said at the Fest. It was going to be a double switch. Ozuna was going to pinch hit and then go into pitch (effectively putting the pitcher's spot at the bottom of the order again in case they had to bring in Buehrle or Contreras).

HITMEN OF 77
01-29-2006, 04:16 PM
Did anybody get any good info, quotes, etc from the seminars?

Moose is still the funiest guy at Soxfest and still trying to sell his Dodgers WS ring.

dickallen15
01-29-2006, 04:47 PM
Moose is still the funiest guy at Soxfest and still trying to sell his Dodgers WS ring.

Moose is hysterical, and he's always talking about money or his lack of compared to everyone in the game today. Last year he was telling me all about one of his former roommates, the infamous Lee Elia, and his six figure pension. Moose is a little like Yogi Berra, his former teammate. I don't think he's necessarily trying to be funny all the time, but if you ever get to talk to him for 10 or 15 minutes, you probably will be crying from laughter.

Brian26
01-29-2006, 05:00 PM
I'm sitting here paying bills, but I'm remembering things so I keep coming back here....

Ozzie was talking about how in 2004 there was ONE player in particular who he finally discovered was being totally selfish and wasn't playing for the team. This player was not doing what he was told and was only out there for his personal stats. Ozzie said he called Kenny and told him there was a player he couldn't have on his team anymore because he wasn't playing for the team. KW said, "We'll get rid of him. Consider it done." Ozzie responded, "Don't you want to know who it is first?"

So- the followup question that was never asked and probably wouldn't have been answered: Was that player Valentin, CLee or Mags? Ozzie made sure to point out that it was ONE player, not a group of players (at least at the time of this incident).

MUsoxfan
01-29-2006, 05:15 PM
I thought the seminars were the best part of the whole Soxfest. The only problem was people going to the microphone with some dopey sob story then asking guys to sign....or even worse just straight out asking for autographs. Then when one chucklehead did it, a number of people behind them did the same thing. Q & A sessions are not the time to be asking for autographs, people!

mcfish
01-29-2006, 05:23 PM
The Brian Anderson and Brandon McCarthy seminar was great. Those two are pretty funny and you can tell they are pretty good friends. Anderson is pretty confident in himself which I think is a good thing - you don't want someone unsure of himself obviously. Brandon is pretty down to earth still and both are excited about the coming season.

Machowiak and Thome did a session too which was good. Talked about coming to the new city, Machowiak has never played in the AL before - bench players play more in the NL, so that will be something to get used to. Thome looks really good and from everything he says he should be completely ready to go by spring training day 1 (barring some unforseen problem as always, but they haven't had any yet, which is really good). I believe it was Hawk that told Thome he would be hitting 50 home runs this year, which was funny.

I went to more sessions, but I'd be surprised if anyone's still reading after this much text anyway. They were all pretty good (I went to 8 or 9 over the 3 day stretch).

The Wimperoo
01-29-2006, 05:24 PM
I thought the seminars were the best part of the whole Soxfest. The only problem was people going to the microphone with some dopey sob story then asking guys to sign....or even worse just straight out asking for autographs. Then when one chucklehead did it, a number of people behind them did the same thing. Q & A sessions are not the time to be asking for autographs, people!

Exactly, that was my only complaint of the weekend. It's a Q&A session not a time for you to ask for an autograph because you know they can't say no. It was freaking annoying.

The way people just rushed the players for autographs was pretty rude in my opinion. I saw AJ walking from the bar Friday night. It was pretty obvious he was trying to get some place rather quickly, but people just kept surrounding him harassing him for an autograph. I don't know, I guess others put getting autographs at a higher priority than I do.

HITMEN OF 77
01-29-2006, 05:26 PM
The only problem was people going to the microphone with some dopey sob story then asking guys to sign....or even worse just straight out asking for autographs. Then when one chucklehead did it, a number of people behind them did the same thing. Q & A sessions are not the time to be asking for autographs, people!

I second that. It was so pathetic hearing person after person ask for autographs. Go downstairs and get in line, instead of waisting mic time in the seminars.

Brian26
01-29-2006, 05:30 PM
I believe it was Hawk that told Thome he would be hitting 50 home runs this year, which was funny.

It was Farmer that predicted Thome would hit 50 homers. It was pretty funny, because Thome's reaction was like, "don't put that kind of pressure on me!" Thome looked great though...he's really slimmed down and looks in excellent shape.

mcfish
01-29-2006, 05:36 PM
It was Farmer that predicted Thome would hit 50 homers. It was pretty funny, because Thome's reaction was like, "don't put that kind of pressure on me!" Thome looked great though...he's really slimmed down and looks in excellent shape.

*** And that's my 10,000th post. It only took me four and a half years. :D:Yeah it was Farmer, now that you mention it... I saw so many seminars. It was pretty much Farmer and Hawk switching off every other hour with a new group to talk to.

Congrats on #10,000.

Daver
01-29-2006, 05:39 PM
*** And that's my 10,000th post. It only took me four and a half years. :D:

You are not your postcount.

FoulTerritory
01-29-2006, 05:47 PM
Exactly, that was my only complaint of the weekend. It's a Q&A session not a time for you to ask for an autograph because you know they can't say no. It was freaking annoying.

These are the same people that drive on the shoulder to circumvent a traffic jam, and then try to cut in at the front . . . ultimately making the traffic jam worse.

These people obviously think they are better or more important than everyone else, because they don't seem to think they have to follow the same protocal as the other humans.

:angry:

Vernam
01-29-2006, 05:52 PM
At the Day 1 seminar where a lady gave Kenny her homemade Exec of the Year crystal, Ozzie was making fun of Cleveland's Shapiro, comparing him unfavorably to KW. Sorry, I can't remember exactly what he said.

Ozzie was asked if Anderson is a lock for CF, and he started to say it's an open question, when KW strategically interrupted him to change the subject.

My moment of glory came when I got to tell KW and Ozzie how much sweeter the championship is because the organization is run by people who really get what it is to be a Sox fan. I also commented that, watching the replays, it looks obvious that the Sox would win, because their pitching staff was so fresh and everyone else's was on fumes. I asked them if there was ever a point where they thought "Oops, it could all slip away right here." KW said, "Yeah, right when Uribe fielded that grounder, and pretty much every other play." :redneck

It wasn't a seminar, but at the clinic area, Greg Walker said the team had discussed just prior to Game 1 of the series a strategy to rattle Clemens because of his reputation for losing his temper. (Sounds like Sonny Corleone or something, doesn't it?) He said AJ stepped out of the box to piss Clemens off, and it obviously worked, as the TV view showed. But Walker said Clemens yelled in to Ausmus, "Did you call time?" And AJ hollared back, "It was me!" Walker said it could be interesting if AJ bats against Clemens this year.

Someone asked Walker about Charlie Lau, and he launched a passionate speech about how underrated Charlie is, how much ahead of his time he was, and how everyone was denied the chance to learn more from him when he died before computer technology became common-place.

At AJ's catching clinic (excellent, btw), my son asked if he regretted flipping the "El Duque ball" into the Fenway stands after Damon struck out. AJ said he never regrets anything he does on the field, because you have to play with emotion. And he said they were high school buddies, so he made Damon sign a photo of the strikeout, which Damon didn't appreciate much!

Vernam

The Wimperoo
01-29-2006, 07:06 PM
Trading Chris Young was the 1st time KW has had to take off a prospect from his 3 year board. Feels that Young will be an All-Star, but wanted to give Ozzie the flexibility to have 6 starters and really loves Vazquez.

Fake Chet Lemon
01-29-2006, 08:18 PM
#1 The paper covered this some, but Kenny's reaction was PRICELESS!

A guy asked about replacing Marte, and if Munos was ready. Ozzie said "Munos has good stuff, but he has no guts. When I saw him pitch in the Dominican he was fearless." Now Kenny's arms and legs all immediately shoot out, and his eyes got as big as frisbees after the "no guts" comment. It was soooo funny! Then Kenny says, "Ozzie, this isn't just you and me talking. I can't believe you just said that here." Then Ozzie said "I don't care. I'm honest, he asked me a question."

#2 Ozzie says "Last year you guys don't want to see Marte, he makes you nervous." Then Kenny says "It made me nervous too." Then Ozzie fired back "I'm don't care, I'm the manager. I have the power to make that decision." Then Kenny says under his breath but into the mic " And that's why I traded him" :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

The seminars are the best!!!! And Good to know Marte was all Ozzie, Kenny was on our side.

ilsox7
01-29-2006, 08:26 PM
I'm sitting here paying bills, but I'm remembering things so I keep coming back here....

Ozzie was talking about how in 2004 there was ONE player in particular who he finally discovered was being totally selfish and wasn't playing for the team. This player was not doing what he was told and was only out there for his personal stats. Ozzie said he called Kenny and told him there was a player he couldn't have on his team anymore because he wasn't playing for the team. KW said, "We'll get rid of him. Consider it done." Ozzie responded, "Don't you want to know who it is first?"

So- the followup question that was never asked and probably wouldn't have been answered: Was that player Valentin, CLee or Mags? Ozzie made sure to point out that it was ONE player, not a group of players (at least at the time of this incident).

It was Mike Jackson according to the stories that circulated in the past. Ozzie was pissed about his attitude, told KW, and KW told Ozzie to waive the player without asking who it was.

Fake Chet Lemon
01-29-2006, 08:31 PM
Ozzie explains what he said to Marte one game as he was giving him the ball:

"Hey, they are booing you! They aren't booing me. So get this guy out." Then Ozzie continues that story, "So Marte hits the first batter now. I was like jeeeeeez, I'm not going out there now. I told Walker- you go take the ball from Marte. Now they will boo me if I go put there."

The way Ozzie tells the stories up there, it's so funny. The beat writers have to ABSOLUTLEY LOVE covering Ozzie.

Lprof
01-29-2006, 09:09 PM
Most of the threads about Soxfest seem to be comments about how crowded it was. I always go to the seminars and because of the sell out I couldn't make the event at all.

Did anybody get any good info, quotes, etc from the seminars? I found out something interesting: Mackowiack (sp?) said that his favorite positions were right and center; I had assumed he was primarily an infielder. I have been worried about who is "Plan B" in center if Anderson is a total bust--i.e., someone who probably won't be a star, but can get by, both offensively and defensively. I saw no one on the roster. Now, at least Mack can probably do it, though if he starts regularly it really hurts the bench. I also learned that Kenny seems to have Jerry Owens in mind; I have never seen him play, but his minor league numbers are extremely impressive; I never understood why nobody seemed to view him as a serious candidate for center (though I gather he has mostly played left).

Lprof
01-29-2006, 09:14 PM

Did anybody get any good info, quotes, etc from the seminars? I also found Chris Singleton to be better than I expected him to be. Maybe there is some hope for the radio broadcasts.

Fake Chet Lemon
01-29-2006, 10:12 PM
I also found Chris Singleton to be better than I expected him to be. Maybe there is some hope for the radio broadcasts.

I had the same thought. He really seemed comfortable with the mic in front of everyone. I too feel a better about him getting the job now.

Ol' No. 2
01-30-2006, 01:04 PM
Pauly confirmed that he WILL wear the C. He said he talked with Ozzie about it and that "it's Ozzie's team", so he'll do what Ozzie wants, even though the doesn't want to be different.

Kenny mentioned one of the reasons he does not want McCarthy in the rotation right away is that he doesn't want him to have to throw 200+ IP his first season.

MUScholar21
01-30-2006, 01:17 PM
I also found Chris Singleton to be better than I expected him to be. Maybe there is some hope for the radio broadcasts.

I caught the tail-end of him, Farmer, Brooks, and Reifert, and I had the same reaction. It seemed he was deferring a lot to the others, which may or may not be a sign of things to come; it may just be him not quite sure of his position yet.

MUScholar21
01-30-2006, 01:19 PM
Kenny mentioned one of the reasons he does not want McCarthy in the rotation right away is that he doesn't want him to have to throw 200+ IP his first season.

KW also made a comment that he liked the idea of BMac being there in case a starter wants to say, "I'm a little sore, mind if I take some time off?" I think I like the idea that these guys won't have to put 200+ innings on their arms before October (although you KNOW Buehrle still will).

SouthSide_HitMen
01-30-2006, 01:23 PM
Lots of good stuff, but I wish I had taken some notes. This story's been out rumored, but Ozzie confirmed that he originally had Pablo Ozuna scheduled to pinch hit instead of Blum in the Top of the 14th after PK hit into the doubleplay. I heard KW mention in an interview recently that Ozzie was going to let Pablo pitch the bottom of the 14th if we didn't score, and this sort of goes along with what Ozzie said at the Fest. It was going to be a double switch. Ozuna was going to pinch hit and then go into pitch (effectively putting the pitcher's spot at the bottom of the order again in case they had to bring in Buehrle or Contreras).

One thing that does not make sense with the scenario is this - how was Ozuna going to pinch hit (and either make the final out or reach base) and then pitch without warming up? I don't remember him warming up in the bullpen (only Buehrle). Was he to pitch without warming up?

The media would have went ballistic if he gave up the winning run under this scenario.

I was at the game when Chris Widger was warming up after Ozzie went through all of his relievers (after Takatsu gave up 3 consecutive HRs). Ozzie legitimately went through his staff during Game 4. One thing is for certain - this would have been his most controversial move to date.

MUScholar21
01-30-2006, 01:29 PM
One thing that does not make sense with the scenario is this - how was Ozuna going to pinch hit (and either make the final out or reach base) and then pitch without warming up? I don't remember him warming up in the bullpen (only Buehrle). Was he to pitch without warming up?

The media would have went ballistic if he gave up the winning run under this scenario.

I was at the game when Chris Widger was warming up after Ozzie went through all of his relievers (after Takatsu gave up 3 consecutive HRs). Ozzie legitimately went through his staff during Game 4. One thing is for certain - this would have been his most controversial move to date.

Warming up Widger in May is a little bit different then Game 3 of the World Series....

SouthSide_HitMen
01-30-2006, 02:47 PM
Warming up Widger in May is a little bit different then Game 3 of the World Series....

Game 3 of the World Series is decidedly more important - all the more reason why it is hard to fathom Guillen inserting a non pitcher without the benefit of warming up. He wouldn't have had time to warm up if he pinch hit first.

That is the point of my post and I wondered if Guillen / KW spoke to this issue while discussing the original decision to insert Osuna to PH / than pitch vs. what actually did happen - Blum & HR.

Ol' No. 2
01-30-2006, 03:09 PM
Game 3 of the World Series is decidedly more important - all the more reason why it is hard to fathom Guillen inserting a non pitcher without the benefit of warming up. He wouldn't have had time to warm up if he pinch hit first.

That is the point of my post and I wondered if Guillen / KW spoke to this issue while discussing the original decision to insert Osuna to PH / than pitch vs. what actually did happen - Blum & HR.I don't care what these guys might have said, I have a very hard time believing that they would pitch Pablo Ozuna in a World Series game in extra innings with the score tied - warmups or no warmups.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-30-2006, 03:27 PM
I don't care what these guys might have said, I have a very hard time believing that they would pitch Pablo Ozuna in a World Series game in extra innings with the score tied - warmups or no warmups.

I agree - especially since Buehrle warmed up and actually pitched in the game.

Ozuna would be an emergency type consideration (as was Widger in April which is why I mentioned it). He would definitely have to warm up and pinch hitting would give him no time to do so. This is why I agree with you No. 2.

Ol' No. 2
01-30-2006, 03:32 PM
I agree - especially since Buehrle warmed up and actually pitched in the game.

Ozuna would be an emergency type consideration (as was Widger in April which is why I mentioned it). He would definitely have to warm up and pinch hitting would give him no time to do so. This is why I agree with you No. 2.They also could have brought Contreras out for an inning. He would have been working on longer rest than Buehrle.