PDA

View Full Version : Overall , how's the mood at Sox fest?

RedPinStripes
01-29-2006, 09:25 AM
This one one of the few years in recent history when I'm not at Sox fest. I would imagine it's got to be a love fest and I hope it is. I heard from that moron Offman that people were bitching about Thomas not being around. Hopefully that didn't last long because the team is improved and they ARE the World Champs. I still say that Sox fans have nothing to bitch about this off season. I would hope everyone is praising the organization all weekend. Just remember. "In Kenny we trust".

:supernana:

dickallen15
01-29-2006, 09:41 AM
This one one of the few years in recent history when I'm not at Sox fest. I would imagine it's got to be a love fest and I hope it is. I heard from that moron Offman that people were bitching about Thomas not being around. Hopefully that didn't last long because the team is improved and they ARE the World Champs. I still say that Sox fans have nothing to bitch about this off season. I would hope everyone is praising the organization all weekend. Just remember. "In Kenny we trust".

:supernana:

I go for the seminars, and usually KW is getting scorched. Everyone who asks questions starts out thanking him and Ozzie. With the crowds as huge as they are, and really over the limit the Hyatt can handle, the fact that Soxfest hasn't turned ugly speaks volumes. It is jammed-packed, but everyone is pretty much acting like it was October 26th at 11 pm.

RedPinStripes
01-29-2006, 09:52 AM
I go for the seminars, and usually KW is getting scorched. Everyone who asks questions starts out thanking him and Ozzie. With the crowds as huge as they are, and really over the limit the Hyatt can handle, the fact that Soxfest hasn't turned ugly speaks volumes. It is jammed-packed, but everyone is pretty much acting like it was October 26th at 11 pm.
that's good to hear. Even JR deserves cheers. He usually walks around there under the radar not saying anything. Jerry's ok in my book now. Those 6 Bulls rings didn't mean much to me until my White Sox got one. And now he jumped the payroll to go after it again. The man meant well over the years and now should be able to go in public without people yelling "SELL JERRY SELL"!!! I used to be one of those BTW. :redneck And it's not all about payroll with me. If he can have a 50 mill payroll and win it all, more power to him. Look at the YAnkees and the Cubs. The Cubs payroll will probably be higher then the Sox. So what they're still gonna suck!

Martinigirl
01-29-2006, 11:06 AM
that's good to hear. Even JR deserves cheers. He usually walks around there under the radar not saying anything. Jerry's ok in my book now. Those 6 Bulls rings didn't mean much to me until my White Sox got one. And now he jumped the payroll to go after it again. The man meant well over the years and now should be able to go in public without people yelling "SELL JERRY SELL"!!!

He was just walking around when I was there on Friday, and seemingly no really noticed, but I did. So I walked up and talked to him. I thanked him for everything, particularly the White Sox, and told him that he has had to put up with a lot of BS over the years but he has done nothing but bring Chicago winners and, for that, everyone should be endlessle grateful. He then smiled and said he never listened to the bad stuff and thanked me for being a fan. He was very nice.

By the time we were done talking, people had noticed him and we asking him to autograph things.

soxwon
01-29-2006, 12:01 PM
Overall i think it was a MESS.
Lines going every which way, very limited players signing.
Getting in was a disaster all 3 days unless you get there 4 hours before the doors open.
I was very disapointed.
Still i love talking sox baseball, seeing old friends.
i had a good time, but it was a disaster.
i ONLY got Baines, walker, macoviak, melton and carlos mays autograph.
i cant see people getting Alot of them.
If you did tell me how you managed that?
Next year its at The Palmer House which is much smaller than the Hyatt.
The sox were not ready for the overflow crowd.
i say bring it permanently to the Stephens Convention ctr in Rosemont.
Thats the Price you pay for being WINNERS.

CubKilla
01-29-2006, 12:34 PM
i say bring it permanently to the Stephens Convention ctr in Rosemont. Thats the Price you pay for being WINNERS.

No thanks. Downtown is far enough for me without the added distance AND tolls to Rosemont.

And lets keep SoxFest near the Southside of Chicago.

RedPinStripes
01-29-2006, 12:40 PM
No thanks. Downtown is far enough for me without the added distance AND tolls to Rosemont.

Bring a Lawyer and make sure you have a cab and hotel room in Rosemont. Those Rosemont Renta-cops are on huge power trips. When they get off their part time cop-shift, they go back to working at the record store. Rosemont is a pain in the ass. I actually had one preaching to me for 5 minutes how I broke the law when I went through a stop sign before the Motley Crue Concert last year. I had to hold in my laughter as he made himself feel like a man of the law.

batmanZoSo
01-29-2006, 12:46 PM
that's good to hear. Even JR deserves cheers. He usually walks around there under the radar not saying anything. Jerry's ok in my book now. Those 6 Bulls rings didn't mean much to me until my White Sox got one. And now he jumped the payroll to go after it again. The man meant well over the years and now should be able to go in public without people yelling "SELL JERRY SELL"!!! I used to be one of those BTW. :redneck And it's not all about payroll with me. If he can have a 50 mill payroll and win it all, more power to him. Look at the YAnkees and the Cubs. The Cubs payroll will probably be higher then the Sox. So what they're still gonna suck!

In my book, all is forgiven with Jerry. He's never been as bad as people have made him out to be and he hasn't been near perfect, either. But the fact remains, he brought us a World Series Championship and his holiness Bill Veeck never did. I'm happy, everyone's happy...the past has passed, the future's now!

This should be a fun Sox Fest, though, too bad I'm not going..:(:

dickallen15
01-29-2006, 02:01 PM

Next year it will be a little further south at the Palmer House. I hate that hotel. I think what happened this year was all the new season ticketholders got access to soxfest tickets so they had a higher capacity, higher than the Hyatt can handle.

AnkleSox
01-29-2006, 02:12 PM
I wasn't there but I heard the Hyatt definitely was not big enough. Why not have it at McCormick next year? If the sox repeat, I can only imagine there's going to be more people. If they don't, the crowd will probably still be too big for the Palmer House.

wassagstdu
01-29-2006, 03:04 PM
Holding it in a larger place won't shorten the lines, only lengthen them. The number of autographs a player can sign per hour and the number of hours he can sign are fixed. Nothing you can do about that short of having machines sign and the player just pushing the button or something. How about having a "receiving line" with a photographer to photograph you shaking hands with the player and sell you the photo for whatever the autographs sell for. Couldn't sell that on eBay, but that's good.

Or, do the capitalist thing and raise the price until the demand equals the supply. How much do you want AJ to sign that Josh Paul ball? If you don't know who AJ is, probably not that much. But if it is free you may stand there anyway.

I have never been to SoxFest, but I wish I had gone this year and will try to go next year. Do they charge for the autographs or not? If not, problem easily solved. Right now the price seems to be about a 4-hour wait in line. How much is a 4-hour wait worth?

soxwon
01-29-2006, 03:52 PM

tinley pk to rosemont is much closer than to the hyatt.

chisoxmike
01-29-2006, 04:06 PM
How much is a 4-hour wait worth?

$0

INSox56
01-29-2006, 04:25 PM
THANKFULLY I got most autographs last year and the year before and only saw seminars, which were awesome by the way. But I found myself wishing NOT to win another world series (for a second anyway) because of how bad it was. For many reasons...a few..

1) More autographs (I got one autograph from Thome on Friday), easier moving around in the past. On Saturday at 11am We went to look at getting wristbands to get konerko's autograph session at 3...the line was already a few hundred or more long....4 HOURS AHEAD OF TIME. I don't know, they need to do less people or more autographs next time for sure. In the past you could wait in line for 2 hours at the head of one line and jump into the back of another and wait another 2 or so hours. You'd be LUCKY to get more than one autograph session a day...and be willing to do NOTHING else but wait in line the entire day. Pretty lame.

2) When hanging out at/around the bar at night, you could just HANG OUT with the players in the past. Saturday night was borderline stupid. Mccarthy and Anderson came back in the evening and about 500 kids and autograph hounds rushed them. There were CHILDREN in the bar last night looking for autographs with players possibly in there (where are the parents?). I understand that this is Soxfest and it is for the fans, but I also understand that the players want to just HANG OUT at night, not sign autographs all day at soxfest, then all night at the bar. In past years, you could just hang out with them and drink. I was pretty upset about all that really. It's a shame that this is what happens when you win the WS, that your personal, fun contact with the players becomes very distant because of people that bug them incessantly.

3) During the seminars there were TONS of people asking for autographs instead of asking questions. Many more than last year and I kinda found that cheap, to be honest with you. I don't like standing in lines for 4 hours for an autograph, either, but I don't go up and ask them for autographs when they're not supposed to be signing them.

Those are a few things...anyone else agree? Don't get me wrong, I still had a GREAT time with the seminars, but there was definitely more detachment from the players this year due to the absolutely insane amount of people.

Brian26
01-29-2006, 04:41 PM
But I found myself wishing NOT to win another world series (for a second anyway) because of how bad it was. For many reasons...a few..

The thought never crossed my mind. I'll take a World Series every year. Who cares about the autographs.

Brian26
01-29-2006, 04:43 PM
2) When hanging out at/around the bar at night, you could just HANG OUT with the players in the past. Saturday night was borderline stupid. ....... It's a shame that this is what happens when you win the WS, that your personal, fun contact with the players becomes very distant because of people that bug them incessantly.

Do you blame this on the World Series or do you blame this on message boards/word of mouth? That bar was cool three years ago when it was a secret. Now that the secret's out, it will never be the same.

IggyD
01-29-2006, 04:46 PM
Overall i think it was a MESS.
Lines going every which way, very limited players signing.
Getting in was a disaster all 3 days unless you get there 4 hours before the doors open.
I was very disapointed.
Still i love talking sox baseball, seeing old friends.
i had a good time, but it was a disaster.
i ONLY got Baines, walker, macoviak, melton and carlos mays autograph.
i cant see people getting Alot of them.
If you did tell me how you managed that?

I got......
Joe
Scott
Paulie
A.J.
Neal
Cliff

Yes...I got in line 4 hours before the doors open each day

WCCMIKE
01-29-2006, 04:50 PM
I got......
Joe
Scott
Paulie
A.J.
Neal
Cliff

Yes...I got in line 4 hours before the doors open each daySame here but i got

Konerko
Dye

Both of those on the same day talk about lucky then i got

Ozzie
Raines
Neal

Dan Mega
01-29-2006, 05:05 PM
I got Kittle's autograph. Stood in line for 4 1/2 hours to get a shot at either Dye or Konerko and turned up with nothing. The lines were going every which way. People were cutting near the front of the line and security did nothing about it. Stood in line for 1 1/2 hours to see the trophy but it was worth it. Met some friendly people but the lowest level was so crowded you couldn't move. Some people were cursing because the players would only sign 1 item when the people brough 2 bags worth of stuff for them to sign. Tried to ask a question in one of the seminars when a lady working at the convention told me that she wanted a kid to get in a question and all he asked was if the players ever thought they would be as popular as the Cubs (I was going to ask Konerko about his batting stance).

Overall, it was ok, but way too crowded and unorganized lines. At least I got a couple jabs in for Kittle, I told him I was gonna kick his butt, he said to meet him on in the parking garage to have it out when the convention was over. Of course we were just kidding around :D:

DannyCaterFan
01-29-2006, 06:07 PM
I was there both Saturday and Sunday and although the fans were still in a great mood as a result of last October, this event was far too crowded and oversold. It was almost impossible to negotiate your way through the aisles Saturday. Today was a litle better. My advice to the Sox for next year. Sell less tickets and limit the crowd.
I still loved the weekend though and the seminars were great. Also got my picture taken with the Trophy!

Iwritecode
01-29-2006, 11:07 PM
Next year it will be a little further south at the Palmer House. I hate that hotel. I think what happened this year was all the new season ticketholders got access to soxfest tickets so they had a higher capacity, higher than the Hyatt can handle.

Where did you hear this? I saw a paper that said it would be at the Hilton next year.

I don't know the city that well so we may be talking about the same place...

whitesoxwilkes
01-29-2006, 11:08 PM
Where did you hear this? I saw a paper that said it would be at the Hilton next year.

I don't know the city that well so we may be talking about the same place...

Palmer House=Palmer House Hilton.

Iwritecode
01-29-2006, 11:09 PM
Holding it in a larger place won't shorten the lines, only lengthen them. The number of autographs a player can sign per hour and the number of hours he can sign are fixed. Nothing you can do about that short of having machines sign and the player just pushing the button or something. How about having a "receiving line" with a photographer to photograph you shaking hands with the player and sell you the photo for whatever the autographs sell for. Couldn't sell that on eBay, but that's good.

Or, do the capitalist thing and raise the price until the demand equals the supply. How much do you want AJ to sign that Josh Paul ball? If you don't know who AJ is, probably not that much. But if it is free you may stand there anyway.

I have never been to SoxFest, but I wish I had gone this year and will try to go next year. Do they charge for the autographs or not? If not, problem easily solved. Right now the price seems to be about a 4-hour wait in line. How much is a 4-hour wait worth?

I wouldn't mind the longer lines if they were at least a little bit organized. The lines were so messed up you couldn't even be sure you were in the right one until you had been there for a couple of hours.

Iwritecode
01-29-2006, 11:10 PM

I knew putting that last line in would be helpful. :cool:

INSox56
01-30-2006, 08:29 AM
The thought never crossed my mind. I'll take a World Series every year. Who cares about the autographs.

Exactly...which is why I said I had a great time anyway.

INSox56
01-30-2006, 08:31 AM
Do you blame this on the World Series or do you blame this on message boards/word of mouth? That bar was cool three years ago when it was a secret. Now that the secret's out, it will never be the same.

I'm not sure which to blame it on, either way it really sucks. I mean more people/secret's out is fine...but like 30 kids walking around in a bar? Come on...And I agree.....I'm SO thankful I was there three years ago as well. That will be a very memorable experience getting wasted around rowand, willie, miguel, wunsch, crede, loaiza. Oh well. ;)

thepaulbowski
01-30-2006, 08:42 AM

When you more people at the event everything is going to be more crowded. I've gone up to the bar in years past and it had nothing to do with hearing about it on a message board. It was the closest thing in proximity to where I was at.

The bar looked just insane Friday night, so I decided to venture over to Lizzy McNeil's instead. I thought it was a pretty cool place and didn't have to deal with the insane crowds & insane prices of Hyatt bar.

thepaulbowski
01-30-2006, 08:44 AM

I've looked through the threads and haven't seen this answered. Did they say why they are moving it the Palmer House?

steff
01-30-2006, 05:21 PM
Agree on the kids in the bar. That was stupid.

thepaulbowski - the Sox gave out flyers at the fest noting the change.