PDA

View Full Version : Shingo to rejoin Swallows?

bigfoot
01-29-2006, 01:24 AM
Former White Sox reliever to return to Yakult.

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/sports/20060127TDY24004.htm

StockdaleForVeep
01-29-2006, 05:01 AM
Im glad he still has a chance to play, he was great the seasons we had with him. Good luck with his future

Im still pissed i never saw shingos intro for closing, one chance i got, of all people, borchard and valentin had to hit back to back doubles to score several runs to make it a non save situation and not bring him in

TDog
01-29-2006, 01:14 PM
I don't know if the Swallows still hold their winter camp in Yuma, Arizona, but if they do, it may be starting up already. I forgot when the Swallows returned to Yuma. They used to end as spring training was beginning. I saw Floyd Bannister pitching for the Swallows at the end of the '80s.

ondafarm
01-30-2006, 05:16 PM
The Swallows went home in 1999 and now play their spring camp in Miyazaki prefecture. It's close to the Tokyo Giants so they get a bunch of scrimmages in. They did split their season for twenty years with a few weeks in Yuma and a few weeks in Miyazaki.

ondafarm
01-30-2006, 05:22 PM
I heard that Shingo wants to get his Japanese save record back. Sasaki returned from the Mariners and reclaimed the record but Takatsu has 260 and wants to have it again.

Tekijawa
01-30-2006, 05:24 PM
I heard that Shingo wants to get his Japanese save record back. Sasaki returned from the Mariners and reclaimed the record but Takatsu has 260 and wants to have it again.

Yeah, that's the reason he's back in Japan!:D:

soxinem1
01-30-2006, 06:46 PM
Yeah, that's the reason he's back in Japan!:D:

That and he's too hittable. I wish he would have signed with the Twins or Indians, we'd easilly have another 3-4 games in the standings on them!

MUsoxfan
01-30-2006, 07:08 PM
I wish he would have signed with the Twins or Indians, we'd easilly have another 3-4 games in the standings on them!

I don't. I'll never have a bad thing to say about him. He could easily retire now, but I guess he still feels he owns Japanese batters so I hope he can get his record back.

Stoky44
01-30-2006, 10:22 PM
It's Shingo TIME!!

BTW Sasaki, wasn't all that bad. 3.14 ERA, 77/242 BB/K, and 129 saves over 4 seasons.

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-30-2006, 11:12 PM
I still miss the GONG in his intro.

HomeFish
01-30-2006, 11:18 PM
Shingo Time was a true phenomenon. Somebody has to go back in a few years and do a documentary on it.

That crowd went wild when the gong went off. Standing ovations, roars of applause and cheering the likes of which I didn't see again until the 2005 playoffs. Not until Bobby Jenks was a new player embraced so quickly and so entirely.

You know how many times I've cried at US Cellular Field? Once. It was 2004, after a game against Seattle in which Shingo got the save. I saw a little kid, he couldn't have been more than 8, with a home-made Shingo Takatsu jersey. It was just a Hanes undershirt, but he took a marker to it and wrote "Takatsu 10" on the back. I just got hit with how beautiful baseball was when I saw that.

StockdaleForVeep
01-30-2006, 11:45 PM
Somebody needs to have that clip, IVE NEVER SEEN IT! DAMN U JOSE VALENTIN AND BORCHARD FOR BACK TO BACK RBI DOUBLES! I WANT THE GONG!

TDog
01-31-2006, 12:00 AM
The Swallows went home in 1999 and now play their spring camp in Miyazaki prefecture. It's close to the Tokyo Giants so they get a bunch of scrimmages in. They did split their season for twenty years with a few weeks in Yuma and a few weeks in Miyazaki.

Apparently the Swallows left Yuma about the same time that I did. I'm sure Yuma misses the Swallows more.

ondafarm
01-31-2006, 10:53 AM
Apparently the Swallows left Yuma about the same time that I did. I'm sure Yuma misses the Swallows more.

Moving from Yuma to Juneau is like moving out of the frying pan and into the icebox. I had a friend who went from the Army post in southern Arizona to Polar Flats, Alaska (on the North slope) but that was for the military (and that he'd been fooling around with the CO's wife was not irrelevant.)