PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie on the Baltimore Beaning Incident

Brian26
01-28-2006, 10:47 PM
During the last seminar, probably the most candid moment of the day took place. Someone was complimenting Hawk on his call of the Baltimore game when Gorman threw out Buehrle for hitting Surhoff. Hawk said KW gets hotter than he does. Then Ozzie let loose and talked about what happened. He said that Pierzynski and Buehrle wanted to hit the first batter the inning after AJ got hit. Ozzie said, "No, wait until I give the call." At this point, KW was laughing and walked off the stage. Ozzie said he told AJ to look into the dugout after two outs and look for the nod. So, now we all know the rest of the story.

1951Campbell
01-28-2006, 10:56 PM
During the last seminar, probably the most candid moment of the day took place. Someone was complimenting Hawk on his call of the Baltimore game when Gorman through out Buehrle for hitting Surhoff. Hawk said KW gets hotter than he does. Then Ozzie let loose and talked about what happened. He said that Pierzynski and Buehrle wanted to hit the first batter the inning after AJ got hit. Ozzie said, "No, wait until I give the call." At this point, KW was laughing and walked off the stage. Ozzie said he told AJ to look into the dugout after two outs and look for the nod. So, now we all know the rest of the story.

Methinks Ozzie shouldn't be discussing this.

RedPinStripes
01-28-2006, 11:01 PM
I was at that game in Baltimore. Even the Orioles fans thought it was B.S. At least 4 fans agreed with me that they had one coming since they were throwing at the Sox all weekend.

CHISOXFAN13
01-28-2006, 11:14 PM

Why not? He already retaliated. Makes no difference if he talks about it now. The damage was already done.

1951Campbell
01-28-2006, 11:18 PM
Why not? He already retaliated. Makes no difference if he talks about it now. The damage was already done.

I don't think we want Ozzie to be attracting attention to this kind of stuff. Better to do it and not talk about it.

LuvSox
01-28-2006, 11:27 PM

So what? Maybe other teams will think twice about playing bean ball.

1951Campbell
01-28-2006, 11:32 PM
So what? Maybe other teams will think twice about playing bean ball.

In this day and age where a pitcher sneezing on a batter causes the umps to issue warnings, I just don't think it's wise to broadcast your willingness to throw at people. You lose your competitive advantage if umps think that you're throwing at folks on purpose, that's all. It's just that if the Sox get that rep, they're not going to get the benefit of the doubt when they throw at a player, yet it looks like the incident could plausibly seen as an accident.

buehrle4cy05
01-28-2006, 11:36 PM
:cuss:****ing ******* umpires, I go a game to see Buehrle pitch and the ****ty dumbass umpires kick him out after 5 2/3 innings. I'm standing there, screaming my lungs out at the umpires in my Buehrle jersey...I think I pissed off the people who were sitting behind me who were asking "Oh, where's Raffy today?" That was the day that he got suspended for roids.

Back to my original topic. ****ing idiot ****ty umpires.:angry:

At least I can calm down when I remember we won the World Series.

Brian26
01-28-2006, 11:38 PM
I hesistated to post this, but I noticed that none of the official articles on whitesox.com or mlb.com made mention of it...thought it was a funny aside. KW obviously knew it was not appropriate to talk about, but also thought it was funny.

1951Campbell
01-28-2006, 11:41 PM
:cuss:****ing ******* umpires, I go a game to see Buehrle pitch and the ****ty dumbass umpires kick him out after 5 2/3 innings. I'm standing there, screaming my lungs out at the umpires in my Buehrle jersey...I think I pissed off the people who were sitting behind me who were asking "Oh, where's Raffy today?" That was the day that he got suspended for roids.

Tell us how you really feel.

:D:

wassagstdu
01-29-2006, 07:50 AM
This was commented on in a much earlier thread, as I recall, but needs to be corrected again. "Beaning" means throwing at the batter's head. There was no "beaning incident."

RedPinStripes
01-29-2006, 08:12 AM
I don't think we want Ozzie to be attracting attention to this kind of stuff. Better to do it and not talk about it.
Last year the Cardinals and I cant remember the other team, but they had a bean ball battle and I remember there were about 6 people hit in that game. Larussa, and team mates of both teams denied anyone was hit on purpose. Players and managers were ejected and everyone played dumb. I loved it. "Old School Baseball." And there wasn't a bench clearing brawl either. Both teams handled it on the field. Larussa never admits to throwing at people, but he's had that bean ball rep for years.

Surhoff never made an attempt to go after Buehrle. He knew that was coming, but I was hoping they would throw at Sosa. Mark threw about a 75 mph curve at Surhoff, he knew what it was about.

RedPinStripes
01-29-2006, 08:14 AM
This was commented on in a much earlier thread, as I recall, but needs to be corrected again. "Beaning" means throwing at the batter's head. There was no "beaning incident."

We can just type out "He threw at him on purpose " evey time . :redneck

soxinem1
01-29-2006, 08:28 AM
Last year the Cardinals and I cant remember the other team, but they had a bean ball battle and I remember there were about 6 people hit in that game. Larussa, and team mates of both teams denied anyone was hit on purpose. Players and managers were ejected and everyone played dumb. I loved it. "Old School Baseball." And there wasn't a bench clearing brawl either. Both teams handled it on the field. Larussa never admits to throwing at people, but he's had that bean ball rep for years.

Surhoff never made an attempt to go after Buehrle. He knew that was coming, but I was hoping they would throw at Sosa. Mark threw about a 75 mph curve at Surhoff, he knew what it was about.

True about LaRussa, and yes, he does not talk about it in public. Oz needs to keep a lid on such stuff, we don't want warnings all year for pitching inside because some umpire catches wind of this story.

RedPinStripes
01-29-2006, 08:41 AM
True about LaRussa, and yes, he does not talk about it in public. Oz needs to keep a lid on such stuff, we don't want warnings all year for pitching inside because some umpire catches wind of this story.

This is why every team needs a guy like Kevin Walker or Marte, but use him in the right way. You know he's not going to get many people out, so bring him out of the pen with 2 out in the 7th to hit someone with the first pitch. :rolleyes:

VASoxfan1
01-29-2006, 09:48 AM
larussa does talk about in public. Theres a whole section in 3 nights in august about his feelings on when and how he goes after guys. It's part of baseball, and they did it the right way, so who cares if they admit it.

slavko
01-29-2006, 11:19 AM
The age-old baseball view is that you don't talk about it for publication. Remind me, a short-term reliever for the Sox did it in 2000, talked about it freely afterwards and was dispatched shortly thereafter, never to return. Anyone remember who it was?

LaRussa did it to feed his giant ego. Ozzie just loves to talk.

soxinem1
01-29-2006, 12:09 PM
The age-old baseball view is that you don't talk about it for publication. Remind me, a short-term reliever for the Sox did it in 2000, talked about it freely afterwards and was dispatched shortly thereafter, never to return. Anyone remember who it was?

LaRussa did it to feed his giant ego. Ozzie just loves to talk.

The great Jesus Pena!!!

mcfish
01-29-2006, 05:27 PM
Why not? He already retaliated. Makes no difference if he talks about it now. The damage was already done.It makes enough of a difference that KW was motioning to the camera guy to cut his recording while Ozzie was telling the story. That's not something you admit to publically... ever. It was a hillarious story and I'm glad I heard it, but Ozzie should not be discussing that story in public.

SOXintheBURGH
01-29-2006, 05:39 PM

LOL..

I was at that game too. I started to clap after Buehrle hit him and said "Nice! Always back up your catcher. Nice job, Mark!" But, after the ejection I about lost it. I felt like a Cub fan I drank so many beers after that.

MUsoxfan
01-29-2006, 06:37 PM
You lose your competitive advantage if umps think that you're throwing at folks on purpose, that's all. It's just that if the Sox get that rep, they're not going to get the benefit of the doubt when they throw at a player, yet it looks like the incident could plausibly seen as an accident.

Ozzie said this was the convo....

Gorman: "He threw at him on purpose"

Ozzie: "Of course he threw at him on purpose. I told him to. Our guys have been getting hit all game."

Hokiesox
01-29-2006, 08:21 PM
I was at that game in Baltimore. Even the Orioles fans thought it was B.S. At least 4 fans agreed with me that they had one coming since they were throwing at the Sox all weekend.

All the same fans I was with on the first base side said the same thing. Total BS call by Gorman. Absolute BS.

Hokiesox
01-29-2006, 08:25 PM
LOL..

I was at that game too. I started to clap after Buehrle hit him and said "Nice! Always back up your catcher. Nice job, Mark!" But, after the ejection I about lost it. I felt like a Cub fan I drank so many beers after that.

I had the same reaction. I was at all 4 games that weekend. How many of our guys got beaned? 4 or 5? they had it coming. Good for ozzie, but he shouldn't talk about it.

Iwritecode
01-29-2006, 10:18 PM
Ozzie said this was the convo....

Ozzie: "Of course he threw at him on purpose. I told him to. Our guys have been getting hit all game."

Actually it was more like:

Ozzie: "No ****!"

Yes, that's a direct quote from Ozzie. :D:

Max Power
01-29-2006, 10:42 PM
Did LaRussa talk about ordering bean balls in a Sports Illustrated article like a year ago? I definitely remember an article about bean balls and LaRussa, but maybe he wasn't quoted in it.

buehrle4cy05
01-29-2006, 11:39 PM
LOL..

I tried to keep my swearing under control, as there were little kiddies around and a nice guy sitting in front of me who I didn't want to piss off. But otherwise, I lost it.

Where did you sit? I was 300 level above third base.

MUsoxfan
01-30-2006, 12:15 AM

Yes, that's a direct quote from Ozzie. :D:

You're probably right. Ozzie had lots to say....hard to keep it straight:redneck

Ol' No. 2
01-30-2006, 12:34 PM

Yes, that's a direct quote from Ozzie. :D:And Kenny tried to crawl under his chair. It was one of the funniest moments of the weekend. That and...

:ozzie I'm the mayor of Chicago.

SOXintheBURGH
01-30-2006, 12:44 PM
I tried to keep my swearing under control, as there were little kiddies around and a nice guy sitting in front of me who I didn't want to piss off. But otherwise, I lost it.

Directly behind home for all 4 games.. just above TV land, thankfully. Awesome seats, could see everything. Pods stealing third was incredible, I recall.

I remember AJ, Tadahito, and Dye all got beaned. Maybe one more.

During the third game I got into a good conversation with a local about the 83 ALCS. I said, "Here's our revenge for 83- we're going all the way this time." He was quite knowledgable about the Sox, talked about Lamarr Hoyt and Kittle for about two innings.

Palehose13
01-30-2006, 12:45 PM
And Kenny tried to crawl under his chair. It was one of the funniest moments of the weekend. That and...

:ozzie I'm the mayor of Chicago.

Yeah. That was a fantastic seminar. I'm a collector like many people, but for me, the seminars and clinics are the highlights of SoxFest.

SOXintheBURGH
01-30-2006, 12:46 PM

Third base eh.. Were you the guys who started the "Let's Go White Sox" chant during the Buehrle game?

Hokiesox
01-30-2006, 02:42 PM
Third base eh.. Were you the guys who started the "Let's Go White Sox" chant during the Buehrle game?

That was on my side. I was down right field line in 100 level. I didn't start it, but someone down there did.

DC Sox Fan
01-30-2006, 05:57 PM
I was so glad that I ended up going to that game. I was by the LF foul pole, a few rows back. We were a few empty rows behind a bunch of Sox fans who were right behind the wall. I had been inspired by hearing the "Let's go White Sox" chants the night before- I had never heard anything like that while watching a Sox road game and it filled me with pride.

Not sure if it's the same chant y'all were talking about but I had enough liquid courage in me to get one started when AJP launched his homer. Fortunately I was in Sox-friendly territory and it seemed to catch on pretty well. No idea how far that one travelled around OPACY, though I remember some folks who were watching the game in Chicago said it was clearly audible on the TV.

It was a beautiful day and a beautiful win. I remember high-fiving dozens of ecstatic Sox fans on the way out and realizing then, having seen this team in person, that we were really REALLY for real. Seeing the few pages dedicated to that game in my Sun Times book makes the memories of that day and my stub all the more precious in my collection of that wonderful year :cool: