PDA

View Full Version : Score 670 reported Podsednik in CF, Anderson in LF

SouthSide_HitMen
01-28-2006, 10:33 PM
During one of the early evening updates, they said this was announced at SoxFest today.

All of the reports I have read to date were ambiguous as to where "the speedy leadoff hitter" Podsednik and "The Greatest American Hero" Anderson would play this season.

Anyone else hear this at one of the seminars / elsewhere?

I was a little surprised by the news. I didn't think Podsednik had the arm for CF and I thought Anderson was the better fielder of the two (though Podsednik is faster). Maybe Ozzie wants less pressure on Anderson and feels LF would be easier for him to break in.

Any thoughts or confirmation?

EDIT - They said it again at 11 (Pods in CF, Brian in LF) and had a quote from Brian Anderson (though not commenting on playing left - he said the team would have to dig deep to replace Rowand in CF).

RedPinStripes
01-28-2006, 10:35 PM
I would hope that changes. Pods looks good as a LF only because it's the easiest position of the 3.

DaleJRFan
01-28-2006, 10:36 PM
Didn't Ozzie also say around last year's SoxFest that Aaron Rowand would be playing left field? I won't worry about it. We'll see what it all boils down to during spring training.

Brian26
01-28-2006, 10:42 PM
This was never said once by Ozzie or Kenny at any of the seminars. KW and Ozzie both made mention of Anderson and Jerry Owens battling it out for the centerfield job this afternoon.

oeo
01-28-2006, 10:42 PM
I would hope that changes. Pods looks good as a LF only because it's the easiest position of the 3.

You think he looks good? I don't think he even looks good in LF. He made some real bad plays in those few times he played center this year. And you'd think he would get to more balls than he did in LF, but he didn't. :(:

RedPinStripes
01-28-2006, 10:45 PM
You think he looks good? I don't think he even looks good in LF. He made some real bad plays in those few times he played center this year. And you'd think he would get to more balls than he did in LF, but he didn't. :(:

I'm remembering Carlos Lee out there. He looks pretty good compared to him. And should thank God every day for his speed.

TheOldRoman
01-28-2006, 11:11 PM
I'm remembering Carlos Lee out there. He looks pretty good compared to him. And should thank God every day for his speed.
Did Scotty go through an entire season without any errors? No?
Ok then.:cool:

SOXSINCE'70
01-28-2006, 11:16 PM
I'm remembering Carlos Lee out there.

So am I.There's a reason the LF bleacher fans called him "The Butcher".
The sCrUB-Une even joked that fly balls go to LF to die at Comiskey Park
(this was before 2003).:gulp:

munchman33
01-29-2006, 12:30 AM
Pods might be the only guy in center to take worse routes to balls than Aaron Rowand.

With his speed, he'll still be better than decent. Whether he's in left or center, we're still gonna be below average in arm in one of the outfield positions. But there's a lot more ground in center, so the effect of Pods speed will be maximized there.

itsnotrequired
01-29-2006, 12:31 AM

Agreed. Pods in center = chunks-fest.

HomeFish
01-29-2006, 12:37 AM
Much like Uribe in the #2 hole, I don't expect this to last past spring training.

Chisox003
01-29-2006, 12:46 AM
Much like Uribe in the #2 hole, I don't expect this to last past spring training.
Definitely agree.

I fully expect Podsednik in LF and Gooch in the 2 hole on April 2 (which, by the way, can't get here soon enough)

FoulTerritory
01-29-2006, 12:55 AM
Definitely agree.

I fully expect Podsednik in LF and Gooch in the 2 hole on April 2 (which, by the way, can't get here soon enough)

I'm fairly certain that the starter of this thread misheard. I was listening to the score this evening, and I could have sworn they said that KW said rumors of Pods playing center and Anderson LF were "untrue"

Or maybe I misheard . . . .

CLR01
01-29-2006, 12:58 AM
I'm fairly certain that the starter of this thread misheard. I was listening to the score this evening, and I could have sworn they said that KW said rumors of Pods playing center and Anderson LF were "untrue"

Or maybe I misheard . . . .

I heard the same thing as the thread starter did around 7:00ish.

VivaOzzie
01-29-2006, 01:12 AM
I heard the same thing as the thread starter did around 7:00ish.

As did I (which made me very unhappy). But now I realize its probably just a spring training experiment.

TheOldRoman
01-29-2006, 01:33 AM
So to sum this thread up:

The Score made up a ridiculous rumor about Podsednik playing CF
The Score asked KW to confirm the rumor they made up
The Score quotes Kenny as saying the rumor was false

Now THAT is great journalism!

SouthSide_HitMen
01-29-2006, 02:14 AM
So to sum this thread up:

The Score made up a ridiculous rumor about Podsednik playing CF
The Score asked KW to confirm the rumor they made up
The Score quotes Kenny as saying the rumor was false

Now THAT is great journalism!

While I usually don't defend journalism at any of our newspaper, radio, TV outlets, the Score a few times ran the Podsednik CF, Anderson LF report - once adding a quote by Anderson about how "the team" needed to suck it up to replace Rowand.

No KW quotes were run throughout the time I listened.

I may listen to some of the SoxFest coverage tomorrow and if anything is confirmed or denied I will reply to this thread. I hope others do the same.

dickallen15
01-29-2006, 07:31 AM
While I usually don't defend journalism at any of our newspaper, radio, TV outlets, the Score a few times ran the Podsednik CF, Anderson LF report - once adding a quote by Anderson about how "the team" needed to suck it up to replace Rowand.

No KW quotes were run throughout the time I listened.

I may listen to some of the SoxFest coverage tomorrow and if anything is confirmed or denied I will reply to this thread. I hope others do the same.

I was at the KW seminar and he clearly said Anderson was playing CF, in fact, someone was asking Ozzie if Anderson would play left or center, and KW quickly chimed in "center." The Score is wrong once again.

RedPinStripes
01-29-2006, 08:18 AM
Owens and Andersen have both been groomed to play CF as far as I know. I can't see either one in LF wasting their talent. It's almost a rule in baseball that the worst arm is in LF.

RedPinStripes
01-29-2006, 08:21 AM
I was at the KW seminar and he clearly said Anderson was playing CF, in fact, someone was asking Ozzie if Anderson would play left or center, and KW quickly chimed in "center." The Score is wrong once again.

Nothing sounds closer to the truth. :D: I can picture KW reacting like that. I like the idea of having the Sox on a local station, but it's really going to be tough getting used to the new broadcast team and the joke of a station.

soxinem1
01-29-2006, 08:24 AM
Didn't Ozzie also say around last year's SoxFest that Aaron Rowand would be playing left field? I won't worry about it. We'll see what it all boils down to during spring training.

He did. He said it was to save wear and tear on Aaron because he likes to run through walls. But once he saw Pods arm in CF, he reversed course.

My hunch is that they will have Anderson in CF whan all is said and done.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-29-2006, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the clarification. Most of us think this is the better choice. Podsednik may be faster but Anderson has a better arm and God help us if he doesn't get a better jump on the ball.

I will no longer report on anything stated on the Score (because I do not listen to it except for White Sox baseball and because they are the Bruce Levine of broadcasting). I rarely listen to sports talk but had it on yesterday to listen to the SoxFest activity. I should have known better (no teal).

Scottiehaswheels
01-29-2006, 11:42 AM
Nothing sounds closer to the truth. :D: I can picture KW reacting like that. I like the idea of having the Sox on a local station, but it's really going to be tough getting used to the new broadcast team and the joke of a station.

Ha very true... but no one has thought of it this way.... at least during day games we won't have to listen to the hacks Boers and Bernstein or however their names are spelled

Whitesox029
01-29-2006, 12:20 PM
During one of the early evening updates, they said this was announced at SoxFest today.

All of the reports I have read to date were ambiguous as to where "the speedy leadoff hitter" Podsednik and "The Greatest American Hero" Anderson would play this season.

Anyone else hear this at one of the seminars / elsewhere?

I was a little surprised by the news. I didn't think Podsednik had the arm for CF and I thought Anderson was the better fielder of the two (though Podsednik is faster). Maybe Ozzie wants less pressure on Anderson and feels LF would be easier for him to break in.

Any thoughts or confirmation?

EDIT - They said it again at 11 (Pods in CF, Brian in LF) and had a quote from Brian Anderson (though not commenting on playing left - he said the team would have to dig deep to replace Rowand in CF).
This only makes sense to me. The corner outfielders should ALWAYS yield to the CF if called off on a ball in the gap area because he is supposed to be the fastest of the three. He played CF in Milwaukee, why not here?

wassagstdu
01-29-2006, 02:17 PM
I'm remembering Carlos Lee out there. He looks pretty good compared to him.

Give Carlos some credit. He improved dramatically from where he started to where he was at the end of 2004. I thought he made some good plays and would definitely not call him a butcher by that time. There are some players who work hard on their weaknesses and improve over time. Should be one of the Grinder Rules. Others seem set in concrete. Carlos was a different player when he left.

GregoryEtc
01-29-2006, 02:17 PM
I just watched game 2 of the WS again just now. A good throw from Pods in the top of the 9th gets Burke at home... If it had, thats the third out and we don't even need his walk off in the bottom half. Left field it is.

Foulke You
01-29-2006, 02:22 PM
Pods just didn't look comfortable out in CF the few times he played there last year while Anderson definitely appeared to be in his element the few times we saw him. It is my understanding that Anderson's natural position is CF so it would make sense to break him in there. Unless Joe Borchard steals his roster spot this Spring.

Rocky Soprano
01-29-2006, 03:35 PM

Yup, I was the one that asked.

:smile:

HebrewHammer
01-29-2006, 03:55 PM
Pods just didn't look comfortable out in CF the few times he played there last year while Anderson definitely appeared to be in his element the few times we saw him. It is my understanding that Anderson's natural position is CF so it would make sense to break him in there. Unless Joe Borchard steals his roster spot this Spring.

A full spring training could help Pods in CF. The positions are similar, but making a guy practice as a LF and then thrusting him into CF probably won't meet with desired results.

Our team defense is the least of my concerns right now.

LauraJ14
01-30-2006, 09:19 AM
The Score is a bunch of idiots, Fred Hubner this morning says that Joe Crede is going to bat 9th and when Ozzie was asked about the lineups on Saturday, he said Joe is going to bat 8th, he is going to try Uribe at 2nd during spring training and move Iguchi to 6th or 7th.
Maybe the Score should send their people into the seminar rooms with video so that they get the actual news and not make things up.