PDA

View Full Version : SoxFest Saturday Update 1pm

Hangar18
01-28-2006, 01:59 PM
Im actually typing this from SoxFest, its cool, theyve got a bank of computers set up so that you can go online. Just saw Torn Labrum taking a break. Its jam packed here .........people are everywhere. Feels like Summer downstairs. Just bought a black jersey for 06, so im psyched.
ran into Ron Kittle too. Ok have to run, they dont like me on this site heh heh ...... will report more later. Palehose13 is here, and so is my Trophy

skobabe8
01-28-2006, 02:25 PM
Well, after reading every post thus far about Soxfest, I'm still undecided wether or not to ante up $100 for a pair of tickets for Sunday.

HELP ME DECIDE!!!!!!

Jjav829
01-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Im actually typing this from SoxFest, its cool, theyve got a bank of computers set up so that you can go online.
Someone change the homepage on each one to WSI. :cool:

CHISOXFAN13
01-28-2006, 04:42 PM
Well, after reading every post thus far about Soxfest, I'm still undecided wether or not to ante up $100 for a pair of tickets for Sunday.

HELP ME DECIDE!!!!!!

Depends what you are looking to do. The autograph lines are unbearable, IMO, but I sat in three consecutive seminars and they were great.

That price tag might be a little steep if you don't want to deal with wall to wall people.

Fenway
01-28-2006, 04:44 PM
Somehow the picture that needs to be taken

Hangar18's trophy meets the real one :smile:

this can be done

DaveIsHere
01-28-2006, 04:45 PM
I just got back from there, today we just check out a seminar and a couple of the training session. After Yesterday I didnt even aatempt to get an Auto.

It was fun though, I gave my tickets away for tomorrow.

Was weird I never knew if I was talking to a WSI'er or not, but met some cool people

StockdaleForVeep
01-28-2006, 04:45 PM
hahaha, wsi chat from soxfest?

I want Mags back
01-28-2006, 05:04 PM

HELP ME DECIDE!!!!!!

id save the $100 and go to opening night

Hangar18
01-28-2006, 06:07 PM
I managed to commandeer the computer again for this update.
Its 5 and heading tto the "SOX PARTY" they throw every year. A bunch of Wsi'ers were here again today ........... Konerkos auto line was very boisterous, w people chanting PAULIE PAULIE. pretty funny.
I saw Ron Kittle and remarked on how hes put on some weight since his playing days. He laughed and said he was going to kick my butt. I told him not if theres a table in between us. everyone laughed and he asked how much did I think he weighed? I said 280 for whatever reason and he laughed and said for sure he was going to kick my butt .... .....
Pretty funny guy. Dave Wills was here last nite, as were most of the Score guys Holmes, JHood and Chris Ronge. Steff, ChiSox Mike, Skotty J, Salty Pretzel, Meat89 among others. Last nite, MikeBooyah and I decided to call PatBooyah from the bar, he was really jealous he wasnt in town

Hangar18
01-28-2006, 06:07 PM
OH, and im bringing the trophy down to the bar around 8 ...
so stop by!

StockdaleForVeep
01-28-2006, 06:13 PM
heh gm's have winter meetings

wsi'ers have sox fest
for the fantasy leagues we should all organize to go and have our draft at soxfest, heh maybe get some inside info from some of the players :)

BainesHOF
01-28-2006, 06:55 PM

HELP ME DECIDE!!!!!!

After attending Friday and Saturday, I strongly advise you not to go. It's pure aggravation if you're trying to get autographs or walk anywhere. The Sox oversold the thing. I've been to sold-out days in the past and nothing compares to the ridiculous overcrowding of this year.

Dick Allen
01-28-2006, 06:59 PM
After attending Friday and Saturday, I strongly advise you not to go. It's pure aggravation if you're trying to get autographs or walk anywhere. The Sox oversold the thing. I've been to sold-out days in the past and nothing compares to the ridiculous overcrowding of this year.Exactly. I left at 12:30 today, I had had enough. I never wait in lines for autographs anyway, but just trying to negotiate the merchandise booths was like the Bataan death march. I even skipped seminars that I normally attend.

Pulaski
01-28-2006, 07:55 PM
After attending Friday and Saturday, I strongly advise you not to go. It's pure aggravation if you're trying to get autographs or walk anywhere. The Sox oversold the thing. I've been to sold-out days in the past and nothing compares to the ridiculous overcrowding of this year.

I heard on the radio that this was the first year it was sold out. I wonder if they meant all three days.

MUScholar21
01-28-2006, 08:29 PM
I heard on the radio that this was the first year it was sold out. I wonder if they meant all three days.

Yes, they meant all three days, and it is definitely overpopulated. I think in the abstract it sounded awesome, but the fact that I got there around 7:15a and waited in lines until I got my first autograph from Ozzie at 12:15p is a little ridiculous IMO....

Brian26
01-28-2006, 09:05 PM
Yes, they meant all three days, and it is definitely overpopulated.

By no means am I complaining, because I understand that this kind of stuff comes with the territory of winning the World Series, but at times today I wondered how close to the fire code that crowd was. It was a little scary downstairs.

gr8mexico
01-28-2006, 10:10 PM
This year was REALLY BAD. I just hated seeing some people that had no business being there. Alot of new people just asking stupid questions. To be honest I collect autograph and have been collecting since I attended my 1st soxfest in 1996 but this year was the worst. I understand why but the White Sox should of never sold so many tickets. Next year might be worst because they are moving soxfest to the Palmer House Hilton and everyone knows that's alot smaller then the Hyatt.

ilsox7
01-28-2006, 10:15 PM
Some people do not realize that the Sox are in a no win situation. If they sell less tickets, there will just be people bitching about not being able to go (already had plenty of those this year). If they sell a lot of tickets, like they did this year, you will get people bitching about the crowds, like they are. The bottom line is you HAD to know what it would be like this year. By all accounts Soxfest is generally a crowded event with plenty of lines, but add on the fact that all 3 days are sold out due to the World Series and if you did not expect horrific lines, then I don't know what to tell you.

rocky biddle
01-28-2006, 10:28 PM
Hopefully after the back-to-back championships the Sox will be forced to move the event to McCormick Place and the crowds will be a non-factor in '07.

Brian26
01-28-2006, 10:29 PM
Some people do not realize that the Sox are in a no win situation. If they sell less tickets, there will just be people bitching about not being able to go (already had plenty of those this year). If they sell a lot of tickets, like they did this year, you will get people bitching about the crowds, like they are. The bottom line is you HAD to know what it would be like this year. By all accounts Soxfest is generally a crowded event with plenty of lines, but add on the fact that all 3 days are sold out due to the World Series and if you did not expect horrific lines, then I don't know what to tell you.

Point taken. The only complaint that might have legitimacy or merit is that this year's "sell out" isn't the same as previous Saturday "sell outs" because the Sox sold double the amount of tickets. All in all, the event is what you make of it. I think a lot of us are probably spoiled from previous years in being able to really personally interact with the players. I remember going to a Friday night seminar two years ago and sitting in the front row with Loaiza's wife and there maybe being 100 people in the room total. Those days are long gone now.

ilsox7
01-28-2006, 10:33 PM
Point taken. The only complaint that might have legitimacy or merit is that this year's "sell out" isn't the same as previous Saturday "sell outs" because the Sox sold double the amount of tickets. All in all, the event is what you make of it. I think a lot of us are probably spoiled from previous years in being able to really personally interact with the players. I remember going to a Friday night seminar two years ago and sitting in the front row with Loaiza's wife and there maybe being 100 people in the room total. Those days are long gone now.
My guess is next year they decrease the amount of tickets available while increasing prices. This will allow them to keep the revenue stream where it is but alleviate crowds. But again, with this option, you'll have people complaining both about price and limited tickets. Any way you look at it, this is really a no win situation.

StockdaleForVeep
01-28-2006, 10:40 PM
My guess is next year they decrease the amount of tickets available while increasing prices. This will allow them to keep the revenue stream where it is but alleviate crowds. But again, with this option, you'll have people complaining both about price and limited tickets. Any way you look at it, this is really a no win situation.

Then you have fans who have been going for a long time or people like me who have never gone and would like to, not be able to go

ilsox7
01-28-2006, 10:43 PM
Then you have fans who have been going for a long time or people like me who have never gone and would like to, not be able to go

As I said, there is no way to make everyone happy. There will always be people complaining. I have yet to see one person come up with a solution that will please everyone. It just won't happen.

gr8mexico
01-28-2006, 11:21 PM
My guess is next year they decrease the amount of tickets available while increasing prices. This will allow them to keep the revenue stream where it is but alleviate crowds. But again, with this option, you'll have people complaining both about price and limited tickets. Any way you look at it, this is really a no win situation. If next year they told me they will double the price and cut the tickets for sale in half I would be happy to buy them. Because it's a fun place to be in the winter getting ready for the next year.Ill just make sure to get my tickets when they go on sale.

Mots09
01-29-2006, 12:08 AM
Hanger JHood is on the former station of the White Sox which is ESPN 1000.

C-Dawg
01-29-2006, 12:09 AM
If next year they told me they will double the price and cut the tickets for sale in half I would be happy to buy them.

I probably would too. Just one day though - no weekend pass for me.

This was my third Fest and clearly the busiest. I just go to the seminars and shop the vendors, but even doing just that wasn't easy this year. I think they had autograph lines snaked all around the lower level they had some of the vendors and the food areas cut off. I'm not sure how the autograph seekers managed to find their way to the lines they wanted.

But it was a fun time anyway! Wouldn't have missed it for anything.

MillerSoxFan
01-29-2006, 12:30 AM
I agree it was a little scary with all those people in there. I skipped the 1:30 seminar because it was way too crowded. The first one was great though, with Garland, Crede and Konerko. Konerko said he had a chat with Ozzie last night and has decided to wear the "C" after all.

Brian26
01-29-2006, 01:11 AM
Konerko said he had a chat with Ozzie last night and has decided to wear the "C" after all.

I totally missed that. I had hoped that he wouldn't.

downstater
01-29-2006, 02:39 AM

HELP ME DECIDE!!!!!!

There were lots of people giving away tickets for free outside and I don't blame them. I got in line friday at 9:30 to see the opening and to get in Paulie's line at 4 and I left at six. You can't even look at the vendor tables without fighting autograph lines. I went back today and stayed about an hour. People were standing in lines and they didn't even know what or who the lines were for. I have been going to sox fest since 97 and this year will be my last if there going to let that many people in there. Save your $100.00.

Fredsox
01-29-2006, 07:20 AM
Perhaps there are improvements that can be made. Would it help to move to a larger facility?

jenn2080
01-29-2006, 08:01 AM
It definitely was crazy. I am thankful I only went on Friday because from what I heard from friends, Saturday was way worst then Friday. I had to get out of Thome's line have my brother take my place to go stand in line for Pods. That was at 5pm and Pods wasnt signing until 7. Then people were freaking out because somehow 2 lines started to form for AJ right next to the line for Pods. No one really knew what was going on. Oh well. It is a lose lose situation. Lets bring on the season now.

soxwon
01-29-2006, 12:05 PM
Hopefully after the back-to-back championships the Sox will be forced to move the event to McCormick Place and the crowds will be a non-factor in '07.

Rosemont- Stephens convention center.

RealMenWearBlack
01-29-2006, 12:58 PM
This year was REALLY BAD. I just hated seeing some people that had no business being there. Alot of new people just asking stupid questions. To be honest I collect autograph and have been collecting since I attended my 1st soxfest in 1996 but this year was the worst. I understand why but the White Sox should of never sold so many tickets. Next year might be worst because they are moving soxfest to the Palmer House Hilton and everyone knows that's alot smaller then the Hyatt.

Waiting in line for Harold Baines and Greg Walker on Friday I saw someone reading a book they bought from one of the vendors and heard them say that they didn't know we got Podsednik for Carlos Lee last year.

StockdaleForVeep
01-29-2006, 02:30 PM

NIU convocation centre

chisoxmike
01-29-2006, 02:43 PM
I went Friday and Saturday. I got what I was expecting. There were a lot of people there. Friday there was a line outside the hotel that wrapped around the corner to get in becuase they oversold the place. Saturday was just crowded. It was hard to move around the vendor area. But, I did and saw everything I wanted. I never get autographs, I can spend my time elsewhere. I saw the KW, Ozzie, Hawk lovefest on sat six rows from the stage, I bought things I wanted to buy so I'm happy.

Stop bitching people. Everyone knew going into this it was going to be much more crowded than in years past. Its your own fault if you want to wait in a autograph line for 5 hours.

My only complaint was the price gouging! Something that was $10 last year was now $30. The garage sale, which is always over priced, was selling the sun times newspapers for the world series win for $30!!!!! Needless to say I'm glad I saved a few. Empty champaign bottles were $200! And for those people who went to the last home game of the season consider yourself lucky. We got a team poster that afternoon. They were selling it for $10.

I didn't have any less fun than in years past. I thought the 2005 SoxFest was the worst one I've been to. It will be interesting to see how this is done next year at the Palmer House.

gr8mexico
01-29-2006, 02:57 PM
Waiting in line for Harold Baines and Greg Walker on Friday I saw someone reading a book they bought from one of the vendors and heard them say that they didn't know we got Podsednik for Carlos Lee last year. Are you for real that kind of people make me sick. We have to put up with all the up and downs and then they finally win and we get stuck in the back just watching.

SOX ADDICT '73
01-29-2006, 03:42 PM
Last year was my first SoxFest, and I actually had a pretty similar experience this year (despite arriving 3 hours earlier). Last year yielded 5 autos (Konerko, Ozzie, Cora, Crede, & Gload), this year only 3 (AJ, Widger, & McCarthy), but I also got some photos with the trophy and attended the last two seminars of the day, which alone were worth the price of admission.

Obviously I'm no seasoned SoxFest veteran, but for me the key these last two years has been to go in with a game plan (your "ideal" itinerary), but be willing to change it if something comes up, like psychotic lines, player absences, etc. Also, if there's one thing you absolutely must have/do, make sure you do that and let the rest of the day dictate itself. Otherwise you'll probably leave unhappy. My game plan was AJ's auto, then Dye, the trophy, Scott's basestealing clinic, and the final seminar with Kenny, Ozzie, and Hawk. Dye's wristbands went out while we were still waiting for AJ, Pods's clinic began while we were in line for Widger/McCarthy, but we got to see the Coaches Corner seminar with Walker (who's awesome) and Baines (who's hilarious), which allowed us to hold seats for the Ozzie, Kenny, and Hawk comedy hour. I got my three biggest priorities (AJ, trophy, final seminar), so I am happy.

Someone posted that while this year and last were both sold out for Saturday, the Sox sold "twice as many" tickets for that day. Is this true? With all three days sold out, you had to know Friday and Sunday would be worse, but I had been figuring on a pretty similar crowd size for Saturday. It seemed a bit busier, but I chalked that up to fewer no-shows this time. Did they really sell more tickets? Twice as many?:?:

dickallen15
01-29-2006, 03:51 PM
Last year was my first SoxFest, and I actually had a pretty similar experience this year (despite arriving 3 hours earlier). Last year yielded 5 autos (Konerko, Ozzie, Cora, Crede, & Gload), this year only 3 (AJ, Widger, & McCarthy), but I also got some photos with the trophy and attended the last two seminars of the day, which alone were worth the price of admission.

Obviously I'm no seasoned SoxFest veteran, but for me the key these last two years has been to go in with a game plan (your "ideal" itinerary), but be willing to change it if something comes up, like psychotic lines, player absences, etc. Also, if there's one thing you absolutely must have/do, make sure you do that and let the rest of the day dictate itself. Otherwise you'll probably leave unhappy. My game plan was AJ's auto, then Dye, the trophy, Scott's basestealing clinic, and the final seminar with Kenny, Ozzie, and Hawk. Dye's wristbands went out while we were still waiting for AJ, Pods's clinic began while we were in line for Widger/McCarthy, but we got to see the Coaches Corner seminar with Walker (who's awesome) and Baines (who's hilarious), which allowed us to hold seats for the Ozzie, Kenny, and Hawk comedy hour. I got my three biggest priorities (AJ, trophy, final seminar), so I am happy.

Someone posted that while this year and last were both sold out for Saturday, the Sox sold "twice as many" tickets for that day. Is this true? With all three days sold out, you had to know Friday and Sunday would be worse, but I had been figuring on a pretty similar crowd size for Saturday. It seemed a bit busier, but I chalked that up to fewer no-shows this time. Did they really sell more tickets? Twice as many?:?:

I've been to Soxfest when it was sold out before, and it was nothing like this year. For all the new season ticketholders, the Sox had to make tickets available. I don't know if it was doubled, but there definitely were a lot more people there than in the past even when it was sold out. I would guess that is why this event is being moved to the Palmer House. They must have bigger facilities for this kind of event, because the crowd was pretty much too much for the Hyatt. They probably knew it would be tight this year, but they plan these things so far in advance there probably wasn't too much they could do about it.

itsnotrequired
01-29-2006, 03:59 PM
My only complaint was the price gouging! Something that was $10 last year was now $30. The garage sale, which is always over priced, was selling the sun times newspapers for the world series win for $30!!!!! Needless to say I'm glad I saved a few. Empty champaign bottles were $200! And for those people who went to the last home game of the season consider yourself lucky. We got a team poster that afternoon. They were selling it for $10.
Revenue is certainly up.

The White Sox sold $94,000 worth of merchandise through their garage sale Friday night alone, with all money going to White Sox Charities. Their total for the entire 2005 SoxFest checked in at $85,000.
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060128&content_id=1302968&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws