PDA

View Full Version : Local TV reporter needs to "shut his big fat yapper!!!!!"

hsnterprize
01-28-2006, 09:53 AM
I was watching the CBS 2 News this morning at 8, and reporter Jon Duncanson (a confessed Cub fan) was at SoxFest last night. I had a hunch this was going to be what I call a "slam" story, meaning it would be somewhat negative, when the anchor said something to the effect on "Why Sox fans won't let last year's championship go and move on?" I watched about 2/3 of the story before I had to go on the air at my radio station, and needless to say, this story got under my skin a little bit. While Jon did mention things like the huge crowds, the love in the air for the Sox, and other "positives", he made sure his story was centered on the notion that we Sox fans should just get over what happened last year, and move on. He had some psychologist talking about there being a problem with people who constantly dwell on the past...whether it be 20 years ago (when the Bears won Super Bowl 20), or "last October".

I'll be e-mailing this to Jon after I post this...

Okay Jon...I can understand to a point people's harping on the Bears winning the Super Bowl 20 years ago. If the Bears were a consistent winner like other teams were, you'd have a great point. But the 1985 Bears did something no other Bears team has done since, and they deserve to be heralded. We can argue about how players like Steve McMichael, Otis Wilson, Dan Hampton, Jim McMahon, and other members of the team are treated like gods long after their glory days, but the bottom line is THEY WON!!!!! But let me tell you something about last year's Sox and us fans...if you honestly expect us to "get over it", like many sCrUBS fans want, then you've got another thing coming. Maybe you and the rest of the "Cub Nation" ought to get over things like 1969, "Wrigleyville", 1984, "Bartman", and all the other things associated with "Cubdom" (or Cub-dumb). Don't waste my time or our airwaves with such less-than-classy jealous drivel.

It's not our fault our team, and not yours, celebrated a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP last October. It's not our fault our team is associated with WINNING while your team is connected with LOSING. If we want to "dwell on the past" as you report implies, then so be it. I'd rather dwell on a positive event that happened last October rather than negative event over negative event your team is all too well known for. You sound just like a lot of upset Cubs fans who just can't accept the fact that the White Sox are WORLD CHAMPIONS, and your team's "Wrigleyville Experience" hype is rapidly falling upon deaf ears. This is a reality you're just going to have to accept both personally and professionally. There's no doubt who the BETTER baseball team is in Chicago. If POPULARITY is more important to you and the lemmings who flock to Wrigley Field day after day, that's your decision. However, regardless of how big the crowds are at Wrigley this upcoming season, the very thing you and other Cubs fans want, a WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP BANNER, is flying over the bleachers on the south side.

Try to get over that.

Oh, by the way...here's a question. Would you be so critical of fans' celebrating something in the past if the Cubs won last year? Something tells me I really don't think so.

Sorry if this is one of "why should be worried about what Cubs fans think" rant, but the fact this was a story on a local TV newscast was enough to rile me up enough to respond. I guess a Cub fan in the media just can't get over the fact with the Sox winning it all, they've EARNED the right for fans to fawn over them hand over foot. Maybe he wouldn't be so critical if a certain team from the north side of town had done the same thing our team did.

BTW...Here's a link to the CBS 2 website (http://www.cbs2chicago.com/). Look on the right side of the screen where the video clips are, and look for the story, "Reporter Worries About Sox Fans Attending SoxFest 2006."

paciorek1983
01-28-2006, 10:10 AM
You were absolutley right to do what you did. It's just jealousy, somehting that they accused us of in the past. Ha! Ha!:tongue:

kevin57
01-28-2006, 10:34 AM
I think your sentiments are right on.

I also think there's no problem with celebrating even the 1985 Bears...so long as one knows it was in the past, and it's time to create new championships. Shouldn't a couple celebrate their wedding day even 50 years afterwards? (No wise cracks, guys :redneck ). Again, so long as the past is not the only place where you live.

dickallen15
01-28-2006, 10:40 AM
To be honest, I think this was pretty much a tongue-in-cheek report. If he is a Cubs fan, which I really have no idea, covering Soxfest after a World Championship isn't exactly an assignment he would cherish. He was trying to be funny, laying on the ground interviewing the one guy, rocking pretty hard talking to the psychologist. I'm pretty sure he's aware that this is the first public gathering for all Sox fans since the parade, and celebrating a WS win 88 years in waiting, that occurred 3 months ago, is hardly living in the past.

alohafri
01-28-2006, 10:42 AM
Does anyone even WATCH Channel 2?

dickallen15
01-28-2006, 10:45 AM

Nobody does. In fact, that's one of the reasons this guy is a reporter. He was a weekend anchor with his wife, but when more people where watching cable access channels, they were bumped to reporters.

Chisox1500
01-28-2006, 10:45 AM
A completely unprofessional report that is rife with bias. From smartass remarks like "Certainly more than last year." and his clear disdain for the "obsessive" White Sox groundlings this report is an embarrassment.

MarySwiss
01-28-2006, 10:54 AM
After viewing this, I really couldn't decide how serious the guy was. However, as many of us have said many times, let the media keep on bringing it. Who cares? If anything, it helps keep the chip on our shoulders. And hopefully, the team's.

I loved Paulie's reaction when asked about the game ball. :cool:

mjharrison72
01-28-2006, 11:16 AM
I think they were trying to be funny, but I saw it too and was really mad about it. It wasn't funny. It was a slap in the face.

DSpivack
01-28-2006, 11:17 AM
"One thing is for sure, there are certainly more fans here this year than last."

Ummm, sure about that, Jon? If both events were sold out, wouldn't there be quite a similar amount of people at both? Can't let the facts get in the way of a story, I guess.

DumpJerry
01-28-2006, 11:25 AM
About a month ago, a fellow Sox fan and I were relishing how much fun it is being a Sox fan when a non-Sox fan (don't know if she is a Cub fan) told us "it's been two months, get over it." I looked at her and asked her if she knew any couples that have been married for 10-20 years and still gush about how great it is to be married and if she tells them to "get over it." She then understood the feeling we have.

dickallen15
01-28-2006, 11:29 AM
"One thing is for sure, there are certainly more fans here this year than last."

Ummm, sure about that, Jon? If both events were sold out, wouldn't there be quite a similar amount of people at both? Can't let the facts get in the way of a story, I guess.
I think with the increase is season tickets sales they did sell more tickets this year than last year for each day. Even though they were both sold out, there still seemed to be more people there this year.

RedPinStripes
01-28-2006, 11:29 AM
LOL! "Congradulations to the World Champion White Sox! It's last year's news, so DON'T TALK ABOUT IT!

dickallen15
01-28-2006, 11:39 AM
I wonder if Duncanson will cover the unveiling of the championship banner or the passing out of championship rings in April. Maybe he can bring the shrink with him.

FarSouthSoxFan
01-28-2006, 12:26 PM
That's funny...I don't seem to remember any "get over it" story about the Cubs convention, despite a reported angry fan attitude regarding last year's results...

I think we found Chicago media anti-Sox bias. Suprise!

FedEx227
01-28-2006, 12:36 PM
Yeah this was just awful. I came home from work last night and my mom told me about it, she had taped it too...unbelieveable that this drill-rod would center his ENTIRE piece around us "getting" over our World Championship. Just unbelieveable.

Martinigirl
01-28-2006, 12:36 PM
I think he was trying to be witty, but he failed miserably. This is the same station that on the website has a story about co-workers in the newsroom in a competition to see who can sell more of their daughter's Girl Scout Cookies. They try to be whimsical, because of their inability to be a solid news organization.

The whole station is a joke. And Jon Duncanson just comes across as a condescending, bitter tool.

rocky biddle
01-28-2006, 12:54 PM
One of the locals channels, 5 I think, had a reporter that claimed to be a Sox fan. His report was pretty positive. The only problem was that the anchor said something to the effect of "We go out to Soxfest. The event sold out for the first time in it's history." Do these people even check facts anymore?
As far as the "get over it" comments- there are two kinds of people that would make a statement like that, casual fans and the most bitter of *******s. All the real, diehard cub fans I know realize how huge this is and would give anything for the feeling we have. The next time you hear one of the sheep talk about Bartman or see one of the "cubbie faithful" wearing a 1906 t-shirt, just chuckle to yourself and say "Get Over It" under your breath.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-28-2006, 01:10 PM
I think he was trying to be witty, but he failed miserably. This is the same station that on the website has a story about co-workers in the newsroom in a competition to see who can sell more of their daughter's Girl Scout Cookies. They try to be whimsical, because of their inability to be a solid news organization.

The whole station is a joke. And Jon Duncanson just comes across as a condescending, bitter tool.

The guy is a tool and the station is a joke but this was their poor attempt at humor and not something to get upset about. I don't think even Hanger18 would go off about this sad little new clip.

Reason #174 why I don't watch local media - the quality is on par with Akron.

guillen4life13
01-28-2006, 01:36 PM
I was watching the CBS 2 News this morning at 8, and reporter Jon Duncanson (a confessed Cub fan) was at SoxFest last night. I had a hunch this was going to be what I call a "slam" story, meaning it would be somewhat negative, when the anchor said something to the effect on "Why Sox fans won't let last year's championship go and move on?" I watched about 2/3 of the story before I had to go on the air at my radio station, and needless to say, this story got under my skin a little bit. While Jon did mention things like the huge crowds, the love in the air for the Sox, and other "positives", he made sure his story was centered on the notion that we Sox fans should just get over what happened last year, and move on. He had some psychologist talking about there being a problem with people who constantly dwell on the past...whether it be 20 years ago (when the Bears won Super Bowl 20), or "last October".

Okay Jon...I can understand to a point people's harping on the Bears winning the Super Bowl 20 years ago. If the Bears were a consistent winner like other teams were, you'd have a great point. But the 1985 Bears did something no other Bears team has done since, and they deserve to be heralded. We can argue about how players like Steve McMichael, Otis Wilson, Dan Hampton, Jim McMahon, and other members of the team are treated like gods long after their glory days, but the bottom line is THEY WON!!!!! But let me tell you something about last year's Sox and us fans...if you honestly expect us to "get over it", like many sCrUBS fans want, then you've got another thing coming. Maybe you and the rest of the "Cub Nation" ought to get over things like 1969, "Wrigleyville", 1984, "Bartman", and all the other things associated with "Cubdom" (or Cub-dumb). Don't waste my time or our airwaves with such less-than-classy jealous drivel.

It's not our fault our team, and not yours, celebrated a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP last October. It's not our fault our team is associated with WINNING while your team is connected with LOSING. If we want to "dwell on the past" as you report implies, then so be it. I'd rather dwell on a positive event that happened last October rather than negative event over negative event your team is all too well known for. You sound just like a lot of upset Cubs fans who just can't accept the fact that the White Sox are WORLD CHAMPIONS, and your team's "Wrigleyville Experience" hype is rapidly falling upon deaf ears. This is a reality you're just going to have to accept both personally and professionally. There's no doubt who the BETTER baseball team is in Chicago. If POPULARITY is more important to you and the lemmings who flock to Wrigley Field day after day, that's your decision. However, regardless of how big the crowds are at Wrigley this upcoming season, the very thing you and other Cubs fans want, a WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP BANNER, is flying over the bleachers on the south side.

Try to get over that.

Oh, by the way...here's a question. Would you be so critical of fans' celebrating something in the past if the Cubs won last year? Something tells me I really don't think so.

Sorry if this is one of "why should be worried about what Cubs fans think" rant, but the fact this was a story on a local TV newscast was enough to rile me up enough to respond. I guess a Cub fan in the media just can't get over the fact with the Sox winning it all, they've EARNED the right for fans to fawn over them hand over foot. Maybe he wouldn't be so critical if a certain team from the north side of town had done the same thing our team did.

BTW...Here's a link to the CBS 2 website (http://www.cbs2chicago.com/). Look on the right side of the screen where the video clips are, and look for the story, "Reporter Worries About Sox Fans Attending SoxFest 2006."

I thought you were a twins fan

DumpJerry
01-28-2006, 01:45 PM
That's funny...I don't seem to remember any "get over it" story about the Cubs convention, despite a reported angry fan attitude regarding last year's results...

I think we found Chicago media anti-Sox bias. Suprise!
:tealtutor:

The Racehorse
01-28-2006, 01:56 PM

Try to get over that.

Nice reply... way to light his ass up. :cool:

FarWestChicago
01-28-2006, 01:57 PM
I thought you were a twins fan:?:

santo=dorf
01-28-2006, 02:42 PM
It hilarious that this comes the DAY AFTER Chicago stations were going nuts about the 20th anniversary of Super Bowl XX. :rolleyes:

pmck003
01-28-2006, 02:50 PM
Ask this guy if we should stop celebrating other things done in the past, such as Independence Day, Thanksgiving... the psychological impact!

guillen4life13
01-28-2006, 02:57 PM
:?:

Whoops. Must have been some guy who registered around the same time as hsnterprize. mghwads or something like that.

SweetnesSox
01-28-2006, 03:14 PM

this years sixfest has been marketed and referred to several times as the first ever sold out soxfest.

cheeses_h_rice
01-28-2006, 03:18 PM
this years sixfest has been marketed and referred to several times as the first ever sold out soxfest.

Channel 7 dimbulb Cheryl Burton remarked, "That hasn't happened in a long time" to Jim Rose's report that Soxfest was way sold out for all 3 days.

I guess one year is a long time in Cheryl's world.

:rolleyes:

cbone
01-28-2006, 04:30 PM

Exactly, a very lame attempt and wit and humor. I mean he interviewed a psychologist and did an interview lying down! A very very poor man's attempt at Stephen Colbert type humor.

oeo
01-28-2006, 04:43 PM
People dwelling on the past, are "stuck" in the past? :roflmao:

That's a load of crap, it happened last October. There has been no baseball since then, we are World Champions for at least a year...*****, we're just supposed to let it go? Too bad Cubs fans will never feel what we are feeling.

StockdaleForVeep
01-28-2006, 04:45 PM

Try to get over that.

Yeah cuz cub fans dont dwell on things in the past either

TFLEM33
01-28-2006, 05:11 PM
I agree that this was a pathetic attempt to produce "Stephen Colbert" type humor, but I am still a little perturbed about it. Everybody celebrates championships long after they are over. Hell, Cubs fans still talk about ALMOST making it to the World Series two years ago. You better believe Red Sox fan are still basking in the glory of their championship. Why can't we? We were and ARE the best team in baseball. This is only an issue because we are the team on the South side and not a bunch of yuppies who know nothing about baseball and simply go to games for the beer and "the atmosphere." You know what... screw the Cubs and the skewed media. I will wear my Sox gear with pride and will continue to celebrate our long awaited championship until next year when we win our second straight!

MarySwiss
01-28-2006, 05:19 PM
I agree that this was a pathetic attempt to produce "Stephen Colbert" type humor, but I am still a little perturbed about it. Everybody celebrates championships long after they are over. Hell, Cubs fans still talk about ALMOST making it to the World Series two years ago. You better believe Red Sox fan are still basking in the glory of their championship. Why can't we? We were and ARE the best team in baseball. This is only an issue because we are the team on the South side and not a bunch of yuppies who know nothing about baseball and simply go to games for the beer and "the atmosphere." You know what... screw the Cubs and the skewed media. I will wear my Sox gear with pride and will continue to celebrate our long awaited championship until next year when we win our second straight!

We can. You are right. Ignore the idiots. Screw them. And totally wear your Sox gear with pride. I'm pretty sure that not one day has gone by since we became the champs that I have not worn something Sox-related. And there were not many days that went by even before we won it all.

We're the champs. Period. :smile:

Cellview22
01-28-2006, 05:24 PM
Some people just have no concept of what it's like to be a sports fan. I honestly think Duncanson just has no clue what's going on, not being a sports fan, and doesn't realize the importance of winning a World Series. The fact is, it's not in the past. The Sox are the current World Series Champs, and will be the World Series champs until ... a very long time. He's crazy if he thinks we shouldn't be going nuts over being the World Champions!!

dugwood31
01-28-2006, 06:42 PM
It wasn't that funny, but it was clearly meant to be a joke. I think we should hall lighten up a little bit.

oeo
01-28-2006, 06:48 PM
It wasn't that funny, but it was clearly meant to be a joke. I think we should hall lighten up a little bit.

Maybe whoever thought of the idea made it as a joke, but Jon Duncanson sure seemed serious as hell to me.

soxinem1
01-28-2006, 08:56 PM

Okay? I think they draw ratings slightly worse than Truman College TV!!

Chisox1500
01-28-2006, 09:06 PM
If the Cubs had won would reporters be telling fans to get over it? The media needs to remember their Journalism classes, especially those dealing with objectivity. The report is a blackeye.

rwcescato
01-28-2006, 11:41 PM
A completely unprofessional report that is rife with bias. From smartass remarks like "Certainly more than last year." and his clear disdain for the "obsessive" White Sox groundlings this report is an embarrassment.

I agree. He acted like a complete stroke. I don't think I've used those words in 20 years. It looked like he was upset doing the report. Because he had to he made it very negative. If he thinks its bad now wait until the season starts and there are 35,000 fans at every game and we will all watch the
championship together before the starting line-ups for 81 home games. That should about shut him up.
Rich

1951Campbell
01-29-2006, 12:00 AM
Any Cubs fan who is also a Bears fan should be able to understand obsessing about "the past."

SOXSINCE'70
01-29-2006, 12:21 AM
I guess one year is a long time in Cheryl's world.

:rolleyes:

One minute is a long time in her world.:angry: :rolleyes: :angry: :rolleyes:
Yet another shining example of why I cannot watch a television newscast.