PDA

View Full Version : Live from SoxFest!

Viva Medias B's
01-27-2006, 07:19 PM
I thought I wouldn't be able to do this, but here I am at SoxFest filing a report. On the exhibition floor right by the escalators, there are a series of PC's with Internet access. Hence...

I have been to every SoxFest except 1994, and I have never seen a crowd this large! I got in line to get in at about 1:30 this afternoon. I had to go to a ballroom in the West Tower. As long as that was, I was lucky enough to get in and see the Opening Ceremony and get a good seat at the KW-OG seminar. Signage throughout the floor reminded fans of the bigger crowds this year and asked fans to be patient with lines to see things.

There was a lot of jovial banter at that seminar this year; there was a lot of joking about how this very seminar two years ago was contentious. Nothing really revealing was said at the seminar.

Finally, as I wrap this report up, I should point out that I saw a flyer from another SoxFest guest that SoxFest 2007 will not be here at the Hyatt Regency Chicago. Instead, it will be at the Palmer House Hilton. I wonder how this will work; isn't the Palmer House smaller than the Hyatt? I'll be interesting to see.

koch44
01-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Here are some photos so far.

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060128/capt.ilnh10301280026.white_sox_fan_fest_ilnh103.jp g?x=380&y=238&sig=oEZT8Y_0DupMe5YYpGgxdQ--

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060128/capt.ilnh10401280028.whitesox_fan_fest_ilnh104.jpg ?x=380&y=301&sig=5HeTVdKfBk1FanFokhiw_w--

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060127/capt.ilnh10101272151.whitesox_fan_fest_ilnh101.jpg ?x=327&y=345&sig=c26VgdkJJKZ81HV0_nUdfA--

tick53
01-27-2006, 07:40 PM
I thought I wouldn't be able to do this, but here I am at SoxFest filing a report. On the exhibition floor right by the escalators, there are a series of PC's with Internet access. Hence...

I have been to every SoxFest except 1994, and I have never seen a crowd this large! I got in line to get in at about 1:30 this afternoon. I had to go to a ballroom in the West Tower. As long as that was, I was lucky enough to get in and see the Opening Ceremony and get a good seat at the KW-OG seminar. Signage throughout the floor reminded fans of the bigger crowds this year and asked fans to be patient with lines to see things.

There was a lot of jovial banter at that seminar this year; there was a lot of joking about how this very seminar two years ago was contentious. Nothing really revealing was said at the seminar.

Finally, as I wrap this report up, I should point out that I saw a flyer from another SoxFest guest that SoxFest 2007 will not be here at the Hyatt Regency Chicago. Instead, it will be at the Palmer House Hilton. I wonder how this will work; isn't the Palmer House smaller than the Hyatt? I'll be interesting to see.

Thanks for the great report. I could'nt get tickets and Comcast was gracious
enough to gives us a few precious snipets on Sports Night. I don't know why
they could'nt at least put some of it on Plus. At least FSN used to give us an
hour on Friday night. The Sox are world champs and some of us would like to
see some of the festivities at home. :angry:

I'm not sure about the facilities at the Palmer...

mike squires
01-27-2006, 07:40 PM
is there a pool at the Palmer house? Not for me, but for the 2 year old! If it does, it makes my chances of going next year much better.

Soxfanspcu11
01-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Is that Paulie signing in the first one? Did he shave in the dark?!?!

What the hell is wrong with his face?? lol. Is he trying to grow a full beard? Is it the camera angle?? It looks like he shaved under his chin and his neck but not his face.:?:

Anyone have any clue??
</IMG>

TheDarkGundam
01-27-2006, 08:43 PM
Is that Paulie signing in the first one? Did he shave in the dark?!?!

What the hell is wrong with his face?? lol. Is he trying to grow a full beard? Is it the camera angle?? It looks like he shaved under his chin and his neck but not his face.:?:

Anyone have any clue??
</IMG>
He must be growing some huge mutton chops.

Save me some stuff at the garage sale guys! I'm gonna be there Sunday.

TheKittle
01-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Do they still sell bricks from Old Comiskey at the garage sale?

itsnotrequired
01-27-2006, 09:45 PM
That picture of Konerko is insane...

jdm2662
01-27-2006, 09:59 PM
I got home from there about 20 mins ago. Wow, was it insane. My ticket was in Alsip, and I'm in Elmhurst. Left the house around 12:30, stopped for lunch, and got to Alsip around 1:30. Instead of taking 111th to 57, I took 95th to the Ryan. I hate trains! I finally got to the hotel around 3:00 and found my way in line. And boy, was it a line. I finally found my friend and met him at the Ozzie/Kenny/Hawk seminar. That is the main thing I wanted to see, and it was very cool. Another friend and his wife showed up about 30 mins later.

We walked around down stairs afterwards. Lots of cool stuff down there. Of course, there was very few walking space. I ran into a guy I work with, along with Chisoxgirl and someone else from WSI (I'm terrible with names, so I forgot...). She mentioned fellow WSI members were going to the bar afterwards. Around 7, we went to the Connies to eat and then went to the bar. Seeing how crowded that was, we gave up and went home. I left there around 9. No problem getting home... It was a cool time, but my god, it was crowded. It's the price you pay for success.

Tekijawa
01-27-2006, 10:06 PM
I was there, didn't like it, too many people. I have a bad feeling that I'll have to get used to crowds this year!:whiner:

The Q&A's were great, but I'm an autograph hounds so I was a little dissappointed in the huge numbers this year!
</IMG>

Ventura Fan 23
01-27-2006, 10:14 PM
Man, the waiting was rough. I got there a little before 4 and ended up waiting outside in line for over an hour. It was definitely worth it though, the seminars were awesome as usual.

cwsfannick
01-27-2006, 10:23 PM
Hi folks, just arrived back at the homestead from Sox Fest. As anticipated the crowd was much larger for a Friday night than what I had remembered from past years.

I did not even try to go into any autograph lines. I did score Bandon McCarthy's autograph as he stood next to a training seminar. I then sat in on the marketing seminar with Boyer, Reifert and DJ and then the Farmer, Thome and Makowiak seminar. Both seminar's were enjoyable, but the one dude shouting comments the entire time was annoying as hell.

I ran into a few WSI members at Big Bar (pdimas, hangar and scotty). Good to see all of those guys again. I will be back tomorrow with my Godson.

BeefyD
01-27-2006, 10:27 PM
Went today. Got there at 4:30, and geez, the line to get in was ENORMOUS! Finally got in the door about 5:40. The line stretched from the entrance down the hall through the tunnel connection under the street, up the main stairs of the west tower, around half the lobby to the room behind it, back and forth through velvet ropes and chairs, back out in the lobby, OUTSIDE to the north, and almost all the way to Michigan avenue.

Wasn't able to get in the AJ line for 7:00. People were waiting since 2pm.
As for the garage sale:
No old bricks are available. Plenty of bats, especially Carlos Lee. Rowand bats were $75. Jerseys were 150-500, and they had the black alt. WS ones that were made but never worn, some green halfway-to-stpattys jerseys, and plenty of pinstripes.

Items of note from garage sale:
World Series celebration champagne bottle $200 (mlb authenticated)
ALCS celeb. champagne bottle $100
ALDS bottle $50 (not mlb auth.)
Grinder rules poster $20 (Had 8 grinder rules on it, each about 8x10 in size)
World Series park-used bunting $50 (mlb auth.)
Game-used baseballs from 2005 season (price varied depending on opp. team)
Plenty of signed balls in the cheap range ($5 for Sirotka, $10 for Howry)
** remember, try getting an unsigned official MLB ball for $5**
***funniest thing, they had a bunch of Josh Paul signed balls. The guy even said that people were getting them to have AJ sign it***
game-worn hats $10-50
bat bags $20
Uncut sheet of ALDS, ALCS and WS tix $100
$40 for all three programs
A ton of 8x10's signed, ranging from $1 to $30 (older players, but Bo Jackson was in there)

Did I leave anything out??
I picked up a bunting. It's the semi-circular red/white/blue flags they had hanging along the walls for the WS in case you didn't know.
OH, they have a couple of US Cell-flown flags, like the 1993 one. Didn't ask how much, I know I can't afford it.

Over an hour wait for the trophy if you haven't seen it yet.

Got to shake Kittle's hand. Said Hi to Pods as he walked by, but he was swamped. I could've gotten in line for Dye or Baines auto, but I have his already.

If you want autographs, COME VERY EARLY!!!! People staying at the hotel will be in line as early as 4am, if not earlier.

mike squires
01-27-2006, 10:59 PM
Sounds insane. I'm kinda glad I'm sitting in my house right now. If I went it would be by myself. I would not subject my 2 year old daughter or even my wife who has tolerated it in the past to the waiting in lines. I would liek to be at the atrium right now though. Hope you guys are having a good time.

WCCMIKE
01-27-2006, 11:01 PM
I got home from there about 20 mins ago. Wow, was it insane. My ticket was in Alsip, and I'm in Elmhurst. Left the house around 12:30, stopped for lunch, and got to Alsip around 1:30. Instead of taking 111th to 57, I took 95th to the Ryan. I hate trains! I finally got to the hotel around 3:00 and found my way in line. And boy, was it a line. I finally found my friend and met him at the Ozzie/Kenny/Hawk seminar. That is the main thing I wanted to see, and it was very cool. Another friend and his wife showed up about 30 mins later.

We walked around down stairs afterwards. Lots of cool stuff down there. Of course, there was very few walking space. I ran into a guy I work with, along with Chisoxgirl and someone else from WSI (I'm terrible with names, so I forgot...). She mentioned fellow WSI members were going to the bar afterwards. Around 7, we went to the Connies to eat and then went to the bar. Seeing how crowded that was, we gave up and went home. I left there around 9. No problem getting home... It was a cool time, but my god, it was crowded. It's the price you pay for success.I saw a girl wearing a grey chisoxgirl jersey is that her if so i didn't know:smile:

BeefyD
01-27-2006, 11:07 PM
I wish I knew what all of you WSI'ers looked like. I would have loved to meet some of you.

BTW, I checked my bunting authentication and got lucky, it was from Game 2, which was the game I was at!!! WOO HOO!!!

BainesHOF
01-27-2006, 11:13 PM
I got two pieces of bunting, and both came up as from Game 2. My guess is they'll all come up that way.

Martinigirl
01-27-2006, 11:17 PM
I went, and I am just glad I had two martinis at the bar before I stood in line for hours on end.

I did get to talk to Jerry Reinsdorf, who could not have been nicer. I was just happy to thank him for giving us a team that made so many people so happy.

I am glad I went, but I can't see me going again. Or maybe I just did it wrong. I wish I would have gone to seminars as opposed to just waiting in lines all night.

MUScholar21
01-27-2006, 11:18 PM
Is that the general consensus? I mean, I'm not an autograph hound as it is, but if that is the most miserable thing about it, I'm definitely not going to subject myself to that. Please let me know-this is my first SoxFest, and I'd like to enjoy it.

BeefyD
01-27-2006, 11:20 PM
The hotel package seems the way to go. Then, you're there as early as you can be, don't have to worry about traffic and such, and don't have to try to see everything in a short window.

BainesHOF
01-27-2006, 11:21 PM
If you want to enjoy yourself, take in a couple seminars and perhaps an instructional talk given by a player you like. You can also check out the garage sale and the vendor booths.

BeefyD
01-27-2006, 11:25 PM
Exactly what BainesHOF said. However, we're also talking about tonight, which was half the timeframe. Therefore, for me at least, I had to try to see everything tonight.

Lines for autos are long and get filled quickly. However, its not like I didn't have fun chatting with other Sox fans. And yes, the seminars are good to go to.

MUScholar21
01-27-2006, 11:28 PM
Thanks guys. I'll be there tomorrow (Saturday) with my girlfriend in my '72 Dick Allen BP jersey, say hello if you wish (although getting up at the a** crack of dawn to drive down there may not have me in the best or most coherent of moods, believe it not).

Soxfanspcu11
01-27-2006, 11:29 PM
Uncut sheet of ALDS, ALCS and WS tix $100

Everything sounds pretty cool, but this I don't understand!

So this means that someone was LUCKY enough to have season tickets and go to the playoffs but didn't go to ANY of the games?!?!?!:?:

Maybe they had a VERY serious family situation or something, like a death in the family or something. But I mean it would have had to be something I don't even want to think about that would/could keep me away from Comiskey if I had tickets.
</IMG>

Brian26
01-27-2006, 11:32 PM
I just walked home from the Hyatt about an hour ago. I stopped at Al's Italian Beef on Ontario to grab a big sandwich....because the lines at the Fest were too long to even get food.

The crowd at the Fest was enormous. Usually Friday night is the slow night. I felt really uncomfortable walking around downstairs. It was insane. I was only able to grab one big autograph- Jim Thome's. I got in early enough to see the Opening Ceremonies (thanks Mickster). Thome started signing early, so I grabbed his auto on the sweet spot of a ball, then headed over to get Farmer and Singleton's at 5pm. From there, I went upstairs to see the seminar with Hawk, Ozzie and KW...which went WAY overtime. It was supposed to end at 5:45, and it went to 6:30. Overall the mood was great though- Ozzie complained that nobody was asking hard questions. He joked that he'd stay late this year, compared to last year when he wanted to get the heck out.

Unfortunately, because I was in the seminar I didn't have time to get a wristband for Dye at 8pm, so I missed out on his auto. I basically watched the seminars for the rest of the night: DJ interviewed Brooks and Reifert. Ed and Singleton interviewed Thome and Mackowiak (who was really uncomfortable on the mic but seemed like a good guy). And finally, Hawk had Hemond, BMac and Anderson. I snagged Anderson and BMac's autos after their seminar. I also grabbed Moose's and Kevin Hickey's. Moose took his time signing and said something like, "at least you can read mine unlike those guys today!"

Overall, it was a good time, but it was really, really uncomfortable. It was packed downstairs, and it was almost impossible to even look around at the merchandise. Usually Friday night is the dead night every year...I can't even imagine what tomorrow is going to be like.

fincher
01-27-2006, 11:32 PM
I got Paulie's autograph. I was No. 441 out of 450 for today. It was worth it but the line was very long. I got his signature at about 6:15.

The Garage Sale was cool and almost got one of those jackets Don Cooper wears all the time -- a No. 29 on the back for $75 but I passed. I have so much Sox stuff.

Walked around and soaked it all in. Thankfully, I got my picture with the WS trophy at a U.S. Cellular store a few weeks back. The line tonight was 2 hours and it was only 40 minutes at the store.

We finally went to the bar above the lobby for a few beers. We were spent. Lots and lots of fun.

Parrothead
01-28-2006, 12:00 AM
Saw Hangar there getting his picture with Man Soo Lee but he got away before I could say anything. Thought this year was the worst for vendors since I have been going which is about 8 eight years. There were hardly any this year which is very disappointing.

SAVVY18
01-28-2006, 01:07 AM
I got home a little bit ago and I thought the whole event was poorly set up. I mean waiting over 2 hours just to get into down the stairs to get to where they took tickets was a joke. Then once you actually made it in there all of the lines for the early signings were already blocked off because each player was only signing a couple hundred autographs. I mean several thousand people were there and they had what 6 players on hand to sign for 400 - 500 people. Great...that takes care of 3000 people at the most. What are the other 4000 + supposed to do?

And since it took 2 + hours to get in, there was no way you were going to experience any part of the opening ceremony. Why couldn't they place audio and video equipment out where the lines were so everyone could experience it? Or better yet, have it in a place that will hold everyone who wanted to be there for it. They knew how many tickets they sold, so they knew how many people they had to account for. And why the hell did they open the doors so late? You know it's a huge crowd, so open the doors 2 hours early to let everyone in BEFORE things get started. Not so people miss over an hour because they are stuck in the line to get in. And when I got there there were 3 ticket takers. For 7000+ people?!?!?

And the signage was terrible. I had no idea that there was a bunch of stuff going on downstairs. We just happened to wander down and saw all of that stuff. How about a map telling you what was in each place. Yes they gave you a sheet that said player X would be on stage 3, but where the hell is stage 3?

And you would think they would get with their sponsors and get together a "goody bag" of Sox stuff to give out as they took your tickets. It's a fan convention, so maybe they should cater to the fans a little more.

And IMO, all of the players should be required to be in attendance each day and have all of them signing at 15 different stations, not 4. Rotate them in and out all day/night long. Keep the lines moving and take care of every one, not just those who happened to be one of the first ones in line.

I guess I just expected more out of Soxfest than what I got out of it. It's a first class organ-I-zation, but they didn't put on a championship event.

CLR01
01-28-2006, 01:20 AM
I got home a little bit ago and I thought the whole event was poorly set up. I mean waiting over 2 hours just to get into down the stairs to get to where they took tickets was a joke. Then once you actually made it in there all of the lines for the early signings were already blocked off because each player was only signing a couple hundred autographs. I mean several thousand people were there and they had what 6 players on hand to sign for 400 - 500 people. Great...that takes care of 3000 people at the most. What are the other 4000 + supposed to do?

And since it took 2 + hours to get in, there was no way you were going to experience any part of the opening ceremony. Why couldn't they place audio and video equipment out where the lines were so everyone could experience it? Or better yet, have it in a place that will hold everyone who wanted to be there for it. They knew how many tickets they sold, so they knew how many people they had to account for. And why the hell did they open the doors so late? You know it's a huge crowd, so open the doors 2 hours early to let everyone in BEFORE things get started. Not so people miss over an hour because they are stuck in the line to get in. And when I got there there were 3 ticket takers. For 7000+ people?!?!?

And the signage was terrible. I had no idea that there was a bunch of stuff going on downstairs. We just happened to wander down and saw all of that stuff. How about a map telling you what was in each place. Yes they gave you a sheet that said player X would be on stage 3, but where the hell is stage 3?

And you would think they would get with their sponsors and get together a "goody bag" of Sox stuff to give out as they took your tickets. It's a fan convention, so maybe they should cater to the fans a little more.

And IMO, all of the players should be required to be in attendance each day and have all of them signing at 15 different stations, not 4. Rotate them in and out all day/night long. Keep the lines moving and take care of every one, not just those who happened to be one of the first ones in line.

I guess I just expected more out of Soxfest than what I got out of it. It's a first class organ-I-zation, but they didn't put on a championship event.

You can not expect the players to sign a 1000+ autographs
Get there earlier, its not like the huge crowds were a shock to anyone.
Is a cheap pen/wristband/poster/hat really that unimportant to you or do you expect them to hand out WS DVDs to everyone? I would say they are doing enough for the fans there already.

Always something to bitch about.

ilsox7
01-28-2006, 01:23 AM
Always something to bitch about.

Ain't that the truth.

SAVVY18
01-28-2006, 01:37 AM
So because I have a negative opinion about this it's bitching? Please!! I offered my opinion and ways they could make it better. And most were things that could be done very easily. It's not asking for something crazy.

It wasn't a good experience and if a little more thought whet into setting it up, it could have been so much better.

People paid good money to go to this, so yes...I expect more in return. If it was a free event, then hey you get what you paid for. But it wasn't. If you are only going to be able to handle 3000 people, then only sell 3000 tickets. It isn't that hard.

Where did I say to have them sign 1000 autographs? I said they need to get all of the players there and rotate them around, so everyone gets something, not the select few who could "get there earlier".

ilsox7
01-28-2006, 01:44 AM
So because I have a negative opinion about this it's bitching? Please!! I offered my opinion and ways they could make it better. And most were things that could be done very easily. It's not asking for something crazy.

It wasn't a good experience and if a little more thought whet into setting it up, it could have been so much better.

People paid good money to go to this, so yes...I expect more in return. If it was a free event, then hey you get what you paid for. But it wasn't. If you are only going to be able to handle 3000 people, then only sell 3000 tickets. It isn't that hard.

Where did I say to have them sign 1000 autographs? I said they need to get all of the players there and rotate them around, so everyone gets something, not the select few who could "get there earlier".

Except that it's been general knowledge that the event has been sold out since October. And they publish a schedule of who signs and of the seminars. Everyone knew what to expect going into this. If you didn't, then that's nobody's fault but your own. If you didn't want to wait in lines for autographs and whatnot or see seminars or buy stuff at the garage sale, then you probably shouldn't go to Soxfest. I don't go mainly for those reasons. Autographs mean nothing to me and even if they did, I'll get them for FREE at a Sox game next year.

By all accounts the event was as advertised, therefore there is really not a place for complaining about it.

CLR01
01-28-2006, 01:53 AM

I suppose we could call it constructive criticism but it is all the same.

For $15 dollars I would say access to several members/players of the organization is a pretty good deal.

SAVVY18
01-28-2006, 02:10 AM
... there is really not a place for complaining about it.
I totally disagree!! This thread is about Soxfest and our experiences there. So this is the perfect place for it.

And I was aware it was sold out, I saw the schedule, I wasn't totally surprised and I never said I didn't want to wait in line for the autgraphs,seminars, etc. The opportunity to do those things wasn't available because of the things I have already mentioned.

And talking to several people there, many of them were of the same opinion. It was poorly organized and could have been much better. Why can't you accept that?

ilsox7
01-28-2006, 02:17 AM
I totally disagree!! This thread is about Soxfest and our experiences there. So this is the perfect place for it.

And talking to several people there, many of them were of the same opinion. It was poorly organized and could have been much better. Why can't you accept that?

I can accept that you did not have a good time this year. But the word on Soxfest in the past has been lines and more lines. So when it was sold out this year and people were talking about lining up hours before events started, you had to know there were going to be LONG lines.

Also, while I understand you were not happy and made some suggestions on how to better things, I didn't think those suggestions were too realistic. They will never have every player at these things. It's just not going to happen. And unless a huge number of people dislike Soxfest this year, there is no reason for the Sox to limit sales to an event that sold out in October and had tickets being sold on ebay for hundreds of dollars.

And honestly, $15 isn't so much that I would expect short lines with time to get to numerous players/events. Maybe if they charged $50 a pop or something, but $15 is cheaper than going to a ballgame in most instances.

Overall, I hear your concerns, but I just do not think there is much that can or should be done. Are there minor improvements the Sox can make? I am sure there are. Maybe the move to the new hotel next year will alleviate some issues. But for this year, people knew going in what to expect.

peeonwrigley
01-28-2006, 02:30 AM

And I was aware it was sold out, I saw the schedule, I wasn't totally surprised and I never said I didn't want to wait in line for the autgraphs,seminars, etc. The opportunity to do those things wasn't available because of the things I have already mentioned.

I am biting my tongue so hard right now.

This is the World Champion White Sox you're complaining about, correct?

SAVVY18
01-28-2006, 02:33 AM
I didn't think those suggestions were too realistic. They will never have every player at these things. It's just not going to happen.

Why can't it happen? They know the dates way ahead of time, so make it a requirement to be there. They get paid millions of dollars to be a part of this team, so they should be able to get in town for 1 weekend in the winter. It can happen. Especially this season after winning it all.

What about the better signage and maps? What about letting people in earlier? What about more ticket takers to get people in more quickly? Bigger place to hold the opening ceremony? What about those things? The are very realistic. Don't just pick the one thing that is tough to do and say "I didn't think those suggestions were too realistic." Yes, one would have been a little tough to do, but it was doable. And the rest are slam dunks with a little more forethought and preparation.

SAVVY18
01-28-2006, 02:35 AM
I am biting my tongue so hard right now.

This is the World Champion White Sox you're complaining about, correct?
Yes, that is correct. And because of that fact, you would think they would put together an event worthy of that World Championship team.

But don't confuse things. I am not complaining about the team or their performance on the field. That was wonderful. This is about Friday at SoxFest.

ilsox7
01-28-2006, 02:42 AM
Why can't it happen? They know the dates way ahead of time, so make it a requirement to be there. They get paid millions of dollars to be a part of this team, so they should be able to get in town for 1 weekend in the winter. It can happen. Especially this season after winning it all.

What about the better signage and maps? What about letting people in earlier? What about more ticket takers to get people in more quickly? Bigger place to hold the opening ceremony? What about those things? The are very realistic. Don't just pick the one thing that is tough to do and say "I didn't think those suggestions were too realistic." Yes, one would have been a little tough to do, but it was doable. And the rest are slam dunks with a little more forethought and preparation.

No way they can or will make it a requirement. Most of the guys who do not show up live in different countries. They give their lives from early February til late October to baseball, they deserve time off if they want it.

As for the signage and whatnot, I guess that is something that can be worked on. However, that is not going to help with lines and getting more autographs signed and more seats for the seminars. The bottom line is that Soxfest is a popular event, there will be lines, and people will have to wait. It's been like that for years now and is probably just a degree or two worse this year b/c of the World Championship.

chidonez
01-28-2006, 02:49 AM
This is too funny. I didn't think about SoxFest this year, because I've been in Boston finishing up graduate school. But as luck would have it, I returned to Chicago this weekend to catch up with friends. And by luck of the draw, I got a cheap room at the Hyatt through HotWire. Imagine my surprise this morning when I emerged from the elevator to find a mass of White Sox fans. Damn, I knew I had been out of it since October, but this was insane. In any case, I don't have tickets for the festival, but I'm going to try to sneak in tomorrow morning, early. What fun... Anyone else partying in the Hyatt? Let me know...

Alex

IronFisk
01-28-2006, 02:55 AM
Wow, with all this back and forth, I'm just glad I stayed home with my 7-year old. He was bad enough at the parade :redneck.

Palehose13
01-28-2006, 03:30 AM
I'm sitting in my room at the Hyatt right now chomping on my $15 cheeseburger.

What can I say about SoxFest so far? That's the price you pay for success.

I've gone in years past when it was not even close to crowded and enjoyed myself then. I expected this year to be a mad house. I treated myself this year at the garage sale. I got a Frank Thomas game used bat for $150 and a world series champagne bottle for $200.

The only autograph I got was Kittle while he was pawning his books. Got to see the seminar with Thome and Mackowiak and McCarthy and Anderson. I was pleased. But then again, I enjoy the seminars and clinics more than anything else at the Fest.

A.J was at the bar briefly tonight. Melton, Wills, Baines, and Kittle were there for a good portion of the night. Tomorrow will be crazy and even though I liked the more relaxed past-Fests better...I like that World Championship trophy even more.

Have a good time and enjoy your World Champion Chicago White Sox.

pudge
01-28-2006, 04:21 AM
Yes, that is correct. And because of that fact, you would think they would put together an event worthy of that World Championship team.

But don't confuse things. I am not complaining about the team or their performance on the field. That was wonderful. This is about Friday at SoxFest.

It is what it is, a "fan convention". That means crowds, long lines, chaos, and not nearly the payoff you'd expect unless you're a complete diehard willing to wait four hours for the autograph of another human being. To each his own.

mike squires
01-28-2006, 07:12 AM
I'm sitting in my room at the Hyatt right now chomping on my $15 cheeseburger.

What can I say about SoxFest so far? That's the price you pay for success.

I've gone in years past when it was not even close to crowded and enjoyed myself then. I expected this year to be a mad house. I treated myself this year at the garage sale. I got a Frank Thomas game used bat for $150 and a world series champagne bottle for $200.

The only autograph I got was Kittle while he was pawning his books. Got to see the seminar with Thome and Mackowiak and McCarthy and Anderson. I was pleased. But then again, I enjoy the seminars and clinics more than anything else at the Fest.

A.J was at the bar briefly tonight. Melton, Wills, Baines, and Kittle were there for a good portion of the night. Tomorrow will be crazy and even though I liked the more relaxed past-Fests better...I like that World Championship trophy even more.

Have a good time and enjoy your World Champion Chicago White Sox.

Wow, Wills was there? What a die hard Sox fan. He has got to be a part of this team someday. Anyone ask him if hee was in the works for next year. Someone had to of...It doesn't totally surprize me that Baines was at the bar but yet it does. This guy is awesome. He doesn't even drink, yet... there he is, just hanging out at the bar. I also imagine A.J would have been swamped if he'd stuck around. Thanks for the report!!! Now, if someone could just roll Hangar out of bed to get his side of the story.

Sox35th
01-28-2006, 08:03 AM
For all those who went to SoxFest Friday/Saturday.......

Did they have the promotional schedule out yet?? (will there be a dogday)
Also, What did B. Boyer have to say in the marketing seminar

Thanks.........

Scottiehaswheels
01-28-2006, 08:06 AM

Ok here goes from past experience... You sound like a Soxfest newbie so I'll lay it all out for ya... Ticket takers yeah they prolly could have had a couple more but the entrance you walk through is rather narrow, at least in past years it was, and having more ticket takers would clog up the space/slow down foot traffic... Same goes with tons of signage/audio visual equipment up and down the hallways

Bigger place for the opening ceremony is impossible because they hold it in the largest hall available at that location that isn't downstairs... And before you complain about how they knew it was sold out in October they probably had a 2-3 year agreement with Hyatt to host it there... Way prior to winning the Series...

Solution to most of your problems.... GET THERE EARLIER! I couldn't go this year because a bunch of new people bought up tickets but in past years on the weekends I would leave my house at 3AM to get there at 4AM to be in line by 6AM... If you couldn't get there before 3 or whatever and this was soooo important to you... take off work!

SAVVY18
01-28-2006, 08:46 AM
Ok here goes from past experience... You sound like a Soxfest newbie so I'll lay it all out for ya... Ticket takers yeah they prolly could have had a couple more but the entrance you walk through is rather narrow, at least in past years it was, and having more ticket takers would clog up the space/slow down foot traffic... Same goes with tons of signage/audio visual equipment up and down the hallways

Bigger place for the opening ceremony is impossible because they hold it in the largest hall available at that location that isn't downstairs... And before you complain about how they knew it was sold out in October they probably had a 2-3 year agreement with Hyatt to host it there... Way prior to winning the Series...

Solution to most of your problems.... GET THERE EARLIER! I couldn't go this year because a bunch of new people bought up tickets but in past years on the weekends I would leave my house at 3AM to get there at 4AM to be in line by 6AM... If you couldn't get there before 3 or whatever and this was soooo important to you... take off work!

OK...if you read any of the posts, I said it was my first time going, so you were right with your first point.

"tons of signage". You are saying a sign on the wall will block traffic? Please explain. And then at the top of the stairs where you go downstairs, to the other stages they couldn't put up something that said "Stages and exhibitors" with an arrow pointing down? That sure as hell will not impede traffic.

As for the "A/V equipment". They now have wireless stuff, so it wouldn't be "clogging" anything with wires or that stuff. You project the goings on onto a big wall in the lobby and have some other strategically placed video projectors. And put a speaker or 2 or 10 througout the hotel. Not really difficult at all.

And to your point about opening ceremony. Why not have it downstairs then? Why does it have to be in a "ballroom"? I mean they had 2 stages side by side down there and with all of that extra space, maybe everyone wouldn't have had a great view of everything, but we could have all heard what was going on. Again...planning.

And why does it have to be "get their earlier"? Why can't they plan it better so everyone doesn't have to "get their earlier"? What if people can't "get their earlier"? That arguement is weak. Account for the crowds ahead of time and there won't be any issues.

And I didn't say anything was "soooo" important to me. I said I was disappointed with the whole experience. I expected more from it. I will keep repeating that point. All of the other issues added to that disappointment.

Why do so many people take this criticism and attack back? It's like you are responsible for the event and don't want to hear the bad things and only want the rosie details. Obviously you have an attitude about it because of your " I couldn't go this year because a bunch of new people bought up tickets" comment, but if you really wanted to go...you should have tried to buy them earlier....right? Or you should have checked ebay earlier and gotten them. Isn't that how it works. Do things earlier and that should take care of everything...right? That's what I keep on hearing. "Earlier" solves all problems.

I heard similar views from many others while there, so I know it isn't just me that was disappointed and had a bad experience.

dickallen15
01-28-2006, 08:47 AM

As someone who has been to every Soxfest, I can't say I disagree with the guy complaining how this was poorly run. I got to the Hotel at 3pm, I knew I had no chance at the opening ceremony, but I didn't care. The thing that irked me was after the fest opened we would move 10 feet, and then stand for 10 minutes before moving again. This went on until 4:50 when all of a sudden the line started moving. I got in at about 5:05 and went straight to the KW, Ozzie, Hawk seminar expecting it to be packed, when, in fact it was pretty empty because they didn't let people in when they should have. If they opened the doors at 4, the line would have moved. As far as requiring players to be there, that would never happen, and I'm not a big autograph guy so it doesn't bother me, but the Sox and the Hyatt knew for 3 months how many tickets they had sold for this event, and should have anticipated any problems. There is no excuse for having to wait in a line that doesn't move at all for so long. I'm sure if you asked the White Sox, they would blame it on the Hyatt, and if you asked the Hyatt, they would blame it on the White Sox. I wouldn't doubt the reason for the switch to the Palmer House next year is space related. They probably can handle a bigger group, although in my opinion the hotel sucks.

SoxFan78
01-28-2006, 08:54 AM
I agree with SAVVY 18 on what they had to say. This was my first Sox Fest. I knew that it was gonna be a mad house, but I thought it was going to be ORGANIZED MUCH BETTER!

First of all getting to the hotel at 2 PM, there was no signage at all pointing people where to go. When you finally got downstairs all you saw were lines of people. So my girlfriend and I just got in the back of a line. Then we learn a half hour later that the lines actually start up stairs in one of the confrence rooms. Fine we go up there, but in each confrence room there is only one hyatt rep. and about 300 people. Oh yeah there are like two lines trying to feed into one major line. Nobody knows whats going on at all. Finally we get through the two conference rooms and we are at the top of the escolator waiting to go down to the second level. Well things were so ****ed up with the workers that they let in about 100 people ahead of us before they found out about their mistake. Then once we did get downstairs we waited for about a hour and a half.

The thing that pissed me off more then anything was that none of the Hyatt employees knew what was going on. I thought getting there at two would get me in to see opening ceremonies, i was wrong. Poor guy watching over our line tried answering questions but since nobody told him what was going on he was clueless.

I finally got into Sox Fest at about 4:45. Ticket takers weren't that bad, but I didnt get to any autographs. I did get to sit in on a lot of the seminars which was very nice but i would of liked to get a autograph.

I dont know how they can fix it. They have way too many people there to get autographs and not enough players signing enough autographs. Now before you flame me, im not saying each player signs 2000 autographs in one sitting, but maybe have each player have a couple of autograph sessions thruout the day.

Also, maybe if SoxFest is gonna be slammed like this for years to come, maybe put a restriction on how many autographs a fan can get per day. Maybe one or two per day, that way, you might not be able to get all 5 of your bats signed in one day, but more people can get one or two things signed.

Thats just my two cents. Im done venting, flame away on me.

One more thing, Steff, that comment you made on Friday night to KW, Ozzie and Hawk was very touching almost brought tears to my eyes. Almost! Very nice. You were right, those shoes were HIDIOUS!!!

itsnotrequired
01-28-2006, 08:58 AM

I have never been to Soxfest but have been to other large events at hotels. There is nothing more annoying than poor signage and lack of communication, IMO. Long lines, etc. are a fact of life with an event like this but having more ticket takers and the opening ceremony in a larger room doesn't sound like the kind of thing that couldn't be done.

Just my $0.02...

jenn2080
01-28-2006, 09:06 AM
So Soxfest was crazy. I got in line at 1:30 and that is what I did for the rest of the night. When I got there it we got in line for Thome and about 5 min later they closed the line off. People were all ready lining up for Pods at about 5pm. By the time my brother got there I switched with him so I could get inline for Pods. There were already about 200 people inline for him at about 5:30. Same thing with AJ. All in all I got my autograph and my pic with Pods and I am completely happy.

We went to the bar afterwards and along with what was already mentioned. McCarthy and Anderson were there too . Apparently Dye was having his birthday party downstairs, but I have not clue if that is true because you had to business casual to get in.

JGarlandrules20
01-28-2006, 09:15 AM
I thought it was funny that the Cotts/Politte line I waited in was probably the longest autograph line I've ever been in...in all my soxfest years, lol. Oh, and did you guys know Neals signs righty and Cliff signs lefty? It's soo weird.

Those lines were crazy. I think they should have die hard fan tests to determine your place in line!!:tongue:

I just spent the rest of the time at seminars. I saw most of the Ozzie,Hawk and KW. The last little bit of Brandon's pitching clinic. About 15minutes of the Thome/Mackowiak seminar(with my back against the wall, hah.) and the whole McCarthy/Anderson one. Those were all cool to see.

I was not a fan of the huge lines either, but I still had a good time and I was glad to see some of our players again. It means baseball is -just- around the corner!!

Oh, and of course I got a picture of Jon Garland! Even though his line was full by the time I got down there.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/sully30/white%20sox/soxfest/b9.jpg

ChiSox Fan 68
01-28-2006, 09:27 AM
Yes, they had the promotional schedule available last night. Looks like Dog Day is scheduled for April 21st - although that is a Friday night??? Every Dog Day I've been to was a day game. Oh well, at least they are having it!

alohafri
01-28-2006, 09:47 AM
I saw a girl wearing a grey chisoxgirl jersey is that her if so i didn't know:smile:

No, that was an imposter. She left before the real Chisoxgirl could get there and kick her ass.

alohafri
01-28-2006, 09:48 AM
I hope the language filter fixes that last post!:?:

Tekijawa
01-28-2006, 09:54 AM
If you want to enjoy yourself, take in a couple seminars and perhaps an instructional talk given by a player you like. You can also check out the garage sale and the vendor booths.

I completely agree, Ozzie is great in the Q&A's, I was upset at first last night because of all of the lines, but there were very few people in the Q&A Seminars and they were great!

RallyBowl
01-28-2006, 09:59 AM

WORST. POST. EVER.

"Why don't you go to McDonalds and get you some french cries and a wahhhburger."

:whiner:

alohafri
01-28-2006, 10:02 AM
We got downtown yesterday at about 4:00. I wound up parking in the Aon Building. After forgetting my phone, I sent Mrs. Aloha ahead while I went back to get it. I walked up Stetson and saw the throngs waiting outside of the west tower. I met the Mrs. in the Atrium and we followed the line to the end of Stetson and saw how far back down Wacker it went. We headed in to the Atrium (now Big) Bar and had a beer to wait it out. It still didn't move so we went to Connies to eat and have a couple more drinks. We met Chisoxgirl there, along with Dude and a few others whose names escape me (sorry guys!).

Finally the lines moved so we headed in. I knew we could forget about any autograph lines. We hit the famous WCSF pencil pull twice, the second time, we saw our own WhiteSoxWilkes pull the pencil to win the Ozzie Guillen autographed Sox helmet!

Met Ron Kittle in line for his book. I already have it and I just wanted to compliment him on it. Great guy, taking time to talk with everyone who stopped by. Back downstairs we met up with Hangar and Mikeybooyah and went up to the Atrium Bar. Lots of WSIers there including Soxwon, us, Chisoxgirl, Steff, and many others. We were able to talk to Dave Wills for a couple of minutes. Mrs. Aloha asked him to try to get out of his contract and come home. He didn't seem put off by that at all. I told him, until then, there is always XM. He appreciated that I actually listen to D-Rays games to hear him. Talked to Bill Melton for a bit. He is STILL in disbelief that this is all happening.

Despite the huge crowds, which comes with success, we had a great time! Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Steelrod
01-28-2006, 10:04 AM

Sounds to me that you would have been one of the people who would complain that they didn't sell enough tickets and grouse to no end if you weren't able to get a ticket to Soxfest because it was SOLD OUT!

jdm2662
01-28-2006, 10:20 AM
No, that was an imposter. She left before the real Chisoxgirl could get there and kick her ass.

I saw the same thing, and no, that was not her.

What Savvy is saying is probably what many others would be saying. I see no reason to get on him. His experience wasn't great. So, what's wrong with saying that? Lots of people probably said the same thing.

As for me, I do not care for autographs, so I wasn't concerned about not getting one. However, many people do, and one would expect at least a chance of getting one. I wanted to see the Ozzie/Kenny seminar, and I did. So, I was happy about that. There was a lot of cool stuff on the bottom floor, but as already mentioned, with it being wall to wall of people, it was hard to enjoy it. I knew it was going to be crazy, but I didn't expect it to be this bad. It's the price you pay for success. In any case, it was still cool to be there, and I met up with a good amount of my friends.

TornLabrum
01-29-2006, 05:15 PM
We got downtown yesterday at about 4:00. I wound up parking in the Aon Building. After forgetting my phone, I sent Mrs. Aloha ahead while I went back to get it. I walked up Stetson and saw the throngs waiting outside of the west tower. I met the Mrs. in the Atrium and we followed the line to the end of Stetson and saw how far back down Wacker it went. We headed in to the Atrium (now Big) Bar and had a beer to wait it out. It still didn't move so we went to Connies to eat and have a couple more drinks. We met Chisoxgirl there, along with Dude and a few others whose names escape me (sorry guys!).

Finally the lines moved so we headed in. I knew we could forget about any autograph lines. We hit the famous WCSF pencil pull twice, the second time, we saw our own WhiteSoxWilkes pull the pencil to win the Ozzie Guillen autographed Sox helmet!

Met Ron Kittle in line for his book. I already have it and I just wanted to compliment him on it. Great guy, taking time to talk with everyone who stopped by. Back downstairs we met up with Hangar and Mikeybooyah and went up to the Atrium Bar. Lots of WSIers there including Soxwon, us, Chisoxgirl, Steff, and many others. We were able to talk to Dave Wills for a couple of minutes. Mrs. Aloha asked him to try to get out of his contract and come home. He didn't seem put off by that at all. I told him, until then, there is always XM. He appreciated that I actually listen to D-Rays games to hear him. Talked to Bill Melton for a bit. He is STILL in disbelief that this is all happening.

Despite the huge crowds, which comes with success, we had a great time! Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

What you didn't stick around for was the drawing for the bullpen jacket Friday in the WCSF booth for people who signed up for membership before or during SoxFest. You'll probably be getting formal notification in the next few days that you won it.

Guillen13
01-29-2006, 05:35 PM
I was very happy to meet so many of you! I can't remember all of your Usernames, just your real names. I do remember Palehose13, because like me, she loves Ozzie as much as I do. I was the one who gave Ozzie the rosary.....

I had a very nice time. Seeing Ozzie and Kenny in those seminars was great. Those 2 are hilarious! I am glad I went. The only problems that I encountered seemed to be the fault of the Hyatt, not the Sox. Next year it will be at the Palmer House and I'm sure it'll be much better.

Thanks for being a great bunch of people! You made my weekend...you wonderful people and getting a kiss on the cheek from Ozzie!!:supernana:

robiwho
01-29-2006, 06:19 PM
I was the one who gave Ozzie the rosary.....

That was very cool!

SAVVY18
01-29-2006, 09:15 PM
WORST. POST. EVER.

"Why don't you go to McDonalds and get you some french cries and a wahhhburger."

:whiner:

Wow..Great insight you provide. Why don't you grow up and try and add something intelligent to he thread. Please, contest my points and provide something worthwhile in retort.

Or weren't you there and you are just an uninformed kid trying to be cool?

SAVVY18
01-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Sounds to me that you would have been one of the people who would complain that they didn't sell enough tickets and grouse to no end if you weren't able to get a ticket to Soxfest because it was SOLD OUT!

Man...don't you people read before you comment? I am not going to go thru it all again...Just go back and read.

I expected more from it...is that so hard to understand?

And you have absolutely no clue about me, so get a clue before you make a stupid comment like that.

ChiSoxGirl
01-29-2006, 09:52 PM
I saw a girl wearing a grey chisoxgirl jersey is that her if so i didn't know:smile:
That wasn't me, but someone from WSI told me they saw that girl! I didn't wear a jersey on Friday.

TheDarkGundam
01-29-2006, 09:59 PM
That wasn't me, but someone from WSI told me they saw that girl! I didn't wear a jersey on Friday.
I think I saw that girl today, IIRC the jersey said "ChiSoxGrl" not "ChiSoxGirl"

Iwritecode
01-29-2006, 10:43 PM
Here's what the problem was this year and why SAVVY18 has a perfect right to complain. In years past "sold out" meant they sold 3,000 maybe 4,000 tickets for one day. A little crowd yes but with a little planning and patience it wasn't too bad.

Saturday alone they had 9,000 people there. That place is no way equipped to handle that many people all at one time and it showed. The simple fix is obvious. Don't sell so many tickets.

I feel sorry for the people that made this year their first time...

ilsox7
01-29-2006, 10:45 PM
Here's what the problem was this year and why SAVVY18 has a perfect right to complain. In years past "sold out" meant they sold 3,000 maybe 4,000 tickets for one day. A little crowd yes but with a little planning and patience it wasn't too bad.

Saturday alone they had 9,000 people there. That place is no way equipped to handle that many people all at one time and it showed. The simple fix is obvious. Don't sell so many tickets.

I feel sorry for the people that made this year their first time...

If they sell less tickets, you'll have a ton of people complaining about how they could not go b/c tickets were not available. You had that this year even with a ton of tickets available. There is no simple fix.

Iwritecode
01-29-2006, 10:49 PM
If they sell less tickets, you'll have a ton of people complaining about how they could not go b/c tickets were not available. You had that this year even with a ton of tickets available. There is no simple fix.

You can only fit so many people in comfortably and legally. If they wanted to sell that many tickets they should have had a larger venue lined up first.

Jaffar
01-30-2006, 09:10 AM
OH, they have a couple of US Cell-flown flags, like the 1993 one. Didn't ask how much, I know I can't afford it.

$200, the guy behind me bought it saturday. I thought that was cheap with some other things I saw and man did I want that playoff ticket uncut sheet, did anybody buy one? It would look FANTASTIC framed.

alohafri
01-30-2006, 09:18 AM
What you didn't stick around for was the drawing for the bullpen jacket Friday in the WCSF booth for people who signed up for membership before or during SoxFest. You'll probably be getting formal notification in the next few days that you won it.

AWESOME! :bandance:

zach23
01-30-2006, 10:01 AM
Even though it was so much more crowded than all the past years I have attended, I still had fun this weekend. I am not really interested in autographs that much, so I didn't really care that it was so much harder to get them.
We were down there around 10AM Friday, so we made it into the opening ceremony and I went right to the first seminar with Ozzie and Kenny where I easily got in the front row. I had a good time meeting some people at the bar Friday night, listened in on a lot of the seminars, and took a photo with the trophy.
Saturday I just walked around the vendors and got Bill Melton to sign my copy of the 1972 SI with him on the cover. I went over to Hal's pencil pull and talked to PH13 for awhile. We skipped the bar Saturday night and instead and I walked a couple blocks after dinner to get some beer from a White Hen. We sat in the room and played cards all night. We also spent a little time down at the Soxfest party in the lower ballroom. The band that was doing the karaoke wasn't all that bad.
Sunday I talked to Dan Helpingstine for a long time. I only wish I had remembered to bring my copies of his books to sign. Dan is a real nice guy and I look forward to his next book.
It was a pain in the ass navigating the crowds all weekend, but I expected it to be nuts this year as opposed to all the other years I was there. It was just fun to be out with some friends and Sox fans all weekend and continue the championship celebration.

DannyCaterFan
01-30-2006, 10:37 AM

Just sell less tickets. Saturday was just crazy compared to last year on Saturday.

salty99
01-30-2006, 10:57 AM
I had a good time but the worst thing I heard/saw was two guys who had every single colored wristband in their pockets. They would just then go in whatever line they wanted. Obviously they were keeping them after they were cut off. One time security even asked them for their wristbands and they shook their arms and security let them through even though they didn't even have one on!! Another time they pretended they cut them off already and once again they were let through.

CantuSox
01-30-2006, 12:04 PM
My son (7), wife and I had a great time at our first Soxfest. We checked in the hotel and got in line for the opening ceremony around 10:30- 11:00 on Friday. Got into the opening ceremony easily and had a great view of the team. After the OC went directly to Konerko and we were probably in the first 100 to 150 in his line. From Paulie we went and got in line for Garland and Widger. Along the way we happened to see Jerry Reinsdorf and get his autograph on our WS ball. WE were probably a little further back maybe 200 to 250 for Gar and Widge, but we did get their's too. Then we went and sat in on the Clinic with Tim Raines, which I thought was great and very informative. On Sat morning my awesome wife went down and got in line to get in at 4:00 am. About 5:30 am my son and I took her place so she could get a shower. AJ was the goal on Sat. We were probably in the first 150 to 200 for him. Sat was definately the worst as far the large crowd for the weekend, but it really wasn't as bad as I expected. After AJ we got Bill Melton then sat in on the AJ clinic. We tried to stay for Pods but there were just too many people we decided to got to the Garage sale and check out the vendors. After the Garage sale we stumbled into the kids corner where Politte and Man Soo Lee were signing and got their autographs. Sun morning my wonderful wife went down to get in line at 3:00am! What a great woman, I can not say enough good stuff about her. We got in and went straight to Pods. We were about the first 100 to 175 in his line. After Pods we went to get in line for Hawk and DJ and got theirs too. We all had a great time, got all the autographs we wanted and got to see everything we had planned on seeing.(pic with the Trophy on Sat too!)My son had a great time he'll never forget and that's what it comes down to. He got the autographs he wanted and even took to the batting and pitching cages. We went in expecting the worst, long lines because of the WS championship would be longer, and managed our time accordingly. Also, I think having a "game" plan helped alot. WSI definately helped us in getting an idea of what to expect, so thanks everybody! Special thanks to Brian26, I picked up two AL Central Lockerroom Caps atCarson's on State Street. There were only 4 left, now only 2. Thanks!:smile:

Hangar18
01-30-2006, 12:25 PM
You can only fit so many people in comfortably and legally. If they wanted to sell that many tickets they should have had a larger venue lined up first.

The chief reason for the Over-Crowded conditions was:
Way more people than normal
+ Way Less Players than normal

= Lots of People with not much to do.

Thats why you saw people everywhere, what are they gonna do?
Again, its a good problem to have, toomany people, not enough tickets etc.
Going to the Palmer House Hilton next year is a disaster waiting to happen
if its as small there as im hearing ..........

thepaulbowski
01-30-2006, 12:30 PM

I don't think the amount of players had anything to do with the lines. Before they would have 2-3 players per table, for the most part this year they just had 1 per table/time slot. I've never been to any sort of "convention" at the Palmer House before, but I've walked through it many times. Not sure how things are going to work there.

zach23
01-30-2006, 12:40 PM
The only thing that excites me about going to the Palmer House is being able to go down to Trader Vic's for Mai Tais. The bad thing is the bar at Trader Vic's is smaller than the Atrium bar at the Hyatt, so it may be impossible to get in and get one.

itsnotrequired
01-30-2006, 12:42 PM
The only thing that excites me about going to the Palmer House is being able to go down to Trader Vic's for Mai Tais. The bad thing is the bar at Trader Vic's is smaller than the Atrium bar at the Hyatt, so it may be impossible to get in and get one.

Sorry to break it to you, but Trader Vic's is closing.

ChiSoxGirl
01-30-2006, 12:50 PM

The atmosphere at Trader Vic's is also seems like it'd be a lot less tolerant of SoxFest goers; it's just a lot more subdued... at least it was when I was there this past May. I had the best chocolate martini ever when I was there, though. If we don't go to Trader Vic's, we'll have to find another place or just caravan it on over to the Big Bar. :cool:

In regards to the hotel itself, the rooms are significantly smaller than those at the Hyatt, and the atmosphere/decor of the hotel is very ornate, whereas the Hyatt's would be considered modern/trendy. I haven't been in any of their ballrooms, but I've heard they're bigger, which is supposedly the main reason for the relocation. I just hope that the Sox can manage to keep the price for the weekend package around the $280 it's been. I'd be very disappointed and angry if I had to pay more, especially if I'm going to get the amount of autographs there that I did at the Hyatt this weekend- zero.

MUScholar21
01-30-2006, 12:57 PM

I can't wait to see how they pull off the crowds just being around the Palmer House-I can just imagine the line to get in screwing up the already ridiculous traffic down there. What about parking? Isn't the Palmer House one of those hotels that has very limited parking? If I go again next year, I think I'm taking the L

Sad
01-30-2006, 01:00 PM

the Big Downtown or whatever that other bar's name is has some damn fine Bloody Mary's & decent margarita's also...

ChiSoxGirl
01-30-2006, 01:01 PM
I can't wait to see how they pull off the crowds just being around the Palmer House-I can just imagine the line to get in screwing up the already ridiculous traffic down there. What about parking? Isn't the Palmer House one of those hotels that has very limited parking? If I go again next year, I think I'm taking the L

I was fortunate enough to have a limo ride to and from The Palmer House when I stayed down there in May, but from what I saw, there is zero in the way of parking. As it is, the last two years at SoxFest, I paid $60 and $50 respectively to park my car from Friday-Sunday! :angry: Next year, I just may get a ride to and from- easier for me and way cheaper than the ridiculous amounts of money I'd undoubtedly pay in some remote garage.

gregp65
01-30-2006, 01:02 PM
Went to Soxfest Sunday. Since I drove over 3 hours to get there, didn't arrive until 8:00 and got in line. Doors opened at 9:00. By the time we got in, autographs for Crede, Konerko and Podsaednik were closed. It was kind of disappointing to my son. I had fun, but if you have to stand in line for hours at a time, probably won't go back.

itsnotrequired
01-30-2006, 01:05 PM
the Big Downtown or whatever that other bar's name is has some damn fine Bloody Mary's & decent margarita's also...

Big Downtown is still there and accessible through the hotel. Miller's Pub is also right next door.

MUScholar21
01-30-2006, 01:08 PM
I wonder if SoxFest organizers had anyone try and act like a fan to see what they put us through-someone gets there at 7a and realizes how far they are from the front, has to wait in line for 5 hours, try to plan your day to get desired autographs, see the trophy. I know that it isn't very easy to get all or even most of what you want to do done, at least not with the crowds like this year.

I think that in the abstract, it looked great-the schedule was staggered for each player/coach so if there were only 250 people there you could easily get autographs. But if they sat through those lines, they would know it was impossible to visit more than three autograph lines, even being selective. The whole thing made think that whoever was in charge of this looked at the schedule like it existed in a vacuum, instead of realizing that they were going to have at least 7,000 people there. I mean, look at Saturday's schedule, traditionally the busiest day- if you add up ALL the autographs the players, et al signed on to sign, it only adds up to 5800. If there were 7000 people there (approx. 20,000 tickets sold I believe), that means 1200 people who aren't getting anything. Then you figure in the lines (an hour-long wait if you are at the end of the line), and seminars, and all the other things, and you might only get a handful of things done.

All things considered, I had an okay time. This was my first SoxFest, and I would go back, but only if I had a weekend package to plan out the whole 3 days to avoid hassles and prioritize what seminars I want to go to and what autograph sessions to attend. I know that the organization does this with best intentions, but I think they went a little overboard with sales on this one. From reading most of these posts, it seems just limiting the crowds would appease a great deal of people.

zach23
01-30-2006, 01:54 PM

Sad to hear that.
Of course I haven't been down there to drink in about 8 years or so anyway. I haven't been downtown much at all the past 5 or 6 years except to go to Soxfest.

JohnBasedowYoda
01-30-2006, 11:47 PM
i set wsi to a homepage to one of them to be a technogeek

robiwho
01-31-2006, 11:10 AM
I haven't been in any of their ballrooms, but I've heard they're bigger, which is supposedly the main reason for the relocation.

The ballrooms are definitely bigger. Moving people between them is going to be the real nightmare. I've been there for 1,000-2,000 people events and it gets really backed up trying to get between the floors. They'll need to do some serious planning to make it work.

tebman
01-31-2006, 11:19 AM
Big Downtown is still there and accessible through the hotel. Miller's Pub is also right next door.
Miller's Pub was Bill Veeck's old hangout. They still have a section of the bar labeled as "Bill Veeck's Corner."

Miller's Pub is a great place to hang out and have a meal -- good food, good atmosphere, cold beer.

DaBears
02-05-2006, 02:26 PM
man did I want that playoff ticket uncut sheet, did anybody buy one?

Anyone know how much these were selling for?? I found a person selling it for $500, wondering how many times over cost this was.

chisoxmike
02-05-2006, 02:32 PM
Anyone know how much these were selling for?? I found a person selling it for $500, wondering how many times over cost this was.

They were selling them for $100.

DaBears
02-05-2006, 02:46 PM
They were selling them for $100.

anybody have an extra? Not looking to spend $500, but I can pay a fair price.