PDA

View Full Version : Rhodes-Michaels complete per ESPN

Flight #24
01-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Not sure if this is enough to be official, since it's not been announced by the clubs yet, but ESPN's reporting it so I'm putting it in TB instead of WTS. Please move as appropriate.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2308605

Could be a prelude to a Crisp-Marte move for the Tribe. Or Michaels could be the Tribe's 4th OF (which is IMO what he is). Or it could be Cleveland's way ot trying to put the BoSox even more over a barrel by eliminating another CF alternative for them.

(Actually, that last paragraph probably does belong in WTS):redface:

caulfield12
01-27-2006, 04:35 PM
Not sure if this is enough to be official, since it's not been announced by the clubs yet, but ESPN's reporting it so I'm putting it in TB instead of WTS. Please move as appropriate.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2308605

Could be a prelude to a Crisp-Marte move for the Tribe. Or Michaels could be the Tribe's 4th OF (which is IMO what he is). Or it could be Cleveland's way ot trying to put the BoSox even more over a barrel by eliminating another CF alternative for them.

(Actually, that last paragraph probably does belong in WTS):redface:

The idea of Michaels and Hollandsworth in LF does not exactly scare me.

Sizemore can obviously play...and Blake is only a so-so player statistically in RF.

The only players that scare me with Crisp gone are Hafner, Martinez, Sizemore and Peralta.

Fenway
01-27-2006, 04:46 PM
Or it could be Cleveland's way ot trying to put the BoSox even more over a barrel by eliminating another CF alternative for them.

The Red Sox have no holes
http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/BDD_holes_PS.jpg

DaleJRFan
01-27-2006, 04:52 PM
Fenway, that's pretty damn funny. Where'd you get that???

Fenway
01-27-2006, 04:55 PM
Fenway, that's pretty damn funny. Where'd you get that???

its been popping up on a few Red Sox boards

seriously I don't think they make the trade with Philly unless the Crisp trade is a go. Red Sox as a rule usually try to announce these things between 5 and 6 Eastern to be on local news.

Flight #24
01-27-2006, 05:06 PM
I will say this: while there's a lot of hyperbole thrown up around prospects in general, Marte sounds like the real deal. I even saw one that said "young Manny Ramirez". If he's even half that good, add him to Sizemore, Hafner, Martinez, Peralta and you have one scary lineup in Cleveland that'll be young & cheap for quite a few years.

Which means the Sox better win in '06 & '07 so that we can afford to buy some additional top-shelf talent as the Tribe matures. Assuming of course, that they get some good pitching, as currently they have mediocre pitching (IMO).

Scottiehaswheels
01-27-2006, 05:23 PM
I will say this: while there's a lot of hyperbole thrown up around prospects in general, Marte sounds like the real deal. I even saw one that said "young Manny Ramirez". If he's even half that good, add him to Sizemore, Hafner, Martinez, Peralta and you have one scary lineup in Cleveland that'll be young & cheap for quite a few years.

Which means the Sox better win in '06 & '07 so that we can afford to buy some additional top-shelf talent as the Tribe matures. Assuming of course, that they get some good pitching, as currently they have mediocre pitching (IMO).

I have heard elsewhere this deal might follow up with a Westbrook to Reds for Kearns, then they sign Jeff Weaver to a one year deal... Didn't we rock Weaver in interleague last year?

Edit... Never mind...here's his line from that game

Weaver (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=213711) 6.0 IP 5H 2R 1ER 1BB 4SO 0HR

Flight #24
01-27-2006, 05:51 PM
I have heard elsewhere this deal might follow up with a Westbrook to Reds for Kearns, then they sign Jeff Weaver to a one year deal... Didn't we rock Weaver in interleague last year?

Weaver (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=213711) 6.0 IP 5H 2R 1ER 1BB 4SO 0HR

Well, if Kearns ever put it all together, that would be one scary lineup with Kearns, Sizemore, Marte, Peralta, Hafner, Martinez.

caulfield12
01-27-2006, 06:12 PM

Okay, someone was arguing we couldnt get Billy Wagner, so how could the Rangers trade Westbrook before he has pitched for them...not to mention the weirdness factor that both are Boras clients.

caulfield12
01-27-2006, 06:15 PM
Well, if Kearns ever put it all together, that would be one scary lineup with Kearns, Sizemore, Marte, Peralta, Hafner, Martinez.

Yeah, but didnt we say the same thing about the White Sox line-up with Crede coming up, lol?

In 2000, we had, what, seven guys hit over 20 homers?

This year, we have Anderson, Dye, Thome, Konerko, Iguchi, Uribe, Crede and AJ Pierznski that could pull off the same feat.

I am not going to bet on it...heck, I think we will be lucky to have five or maybe six, but you cannot argue that all those guys fairly reasonably could be expected to hit 15-18 homers OR MORE.

Flight #24
01-27-2006, 10:59 PM
Yeah, but didnt we say the same thing about the White Sox line-up with Crede coming up, lol?

In 2000, we had, what, seven guys hit over 20 homers?

This year, we have Anderson, Dye, Thome, Konerko, Iguchi, Uribe, Crede and AJ Pierznski that could pull off the same feat.

I am not going to bet on it...heck, I think we will be lucky to have five or maybe six, but you cannot argue that all those guys fairly reasonably could be expected to hit 15-18 homers OR MORE.

True, but of those guys, all but Marte have put up very good or better seasons to anything Crede has at a pretty young age. That's production, not potential.

caulfield12
01-28-2006, 10:16 AM
True, but of those guys, all but Marte have put up very good or better seasons to anything Crede has at a pretty young age. That's production, not potential.

Still, it ultimately comes down to pitching, and Lee still has to prove he can have repeat success. He is only 18 months removed from a 5 plus ERA. Sabathia needs to determine if he want to be an All-Star or the next Sid Fernandez.

Jason Johnson does not scare me in the least. Bryd can be tough on us, but I think any Sox fan would be happy to swap him for Millwood.

Westbrook would, at best, be the 5th starter on our team, if not the 7th.

There is no ways these guys are going to end up scarier than the mid-90īs Cleveland teams, and they never managed to win the WS. And at least Minnesota is the team coming up with the pitching now....I just wish that Bartolo Colon never existed, getting Sizemore and Lee in that deal was a great pick-up. The irony is that Brandon Phillips, the most hyped of the three, has turned out to be the biggest bust of all.