PDA

View Full Version : Brooks needs our voices -

Law11
01-27-2006, 04:02 PM
From the Daily herald:

Boyer said he’ll talk this weekend to Sox fans about Nancy Faust’s reduced workload in 2006.

The White Sox’ organist since 1970, Faust won’t be playing night games at U.S. Cellular Field this season, except for the April 2 season opener against the Cleveland Indians.

If the Sox don’t replace Faust for the night games, they’ll go with recorded music.

“We’re still juggling some things and haven’t made a decision yet,’’ Boyer said. “We’ll talk to the fans this weekend and see what they think. They’ll be the ones making the ultimate decision.’’

Let it be known.. Sox Army...

skobabe8
01-27-2006, 04:06 PM
I think its pretty obvious where we stand on this issue. I really hope this gets corrected. :(:

IlliniSox4Life
01-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Well, since I won't be there, someone be extra loud for me.

Possible solutions in order of preference:
1)Hire a replacement for night games
2)Record some basic Nancy tracks and play them
3)Play some other recorded Organ music
4)Don't play anything
5)Hire a DJ

SouthSide_HitMen
01-27-2006, 04:13 PM
I emailed Brooks the results of our little poll earlier this week when we went back and forth regarding Nancy. 99% of WSI wanted either mostly organ or a 50 / 50 mix of organ and DJ. 1% wanted no organ. The poll did not stipulate Nancy was on organ - the generic term organ was used.

Not replacing Nancy during night games with another organist means the White Sox would be going with the 1% of fans for 2/3 (66%) of their home schedule (54 of 81 games).

I am glad Brooks has held off announcing the new arrangement as this gives them time to make the appropriate decision which will satisfy 99% of the fan base - hiring a second organist for games Nancy has off.

Please let Brooks know your preference. He is a good person and marketing man and he welcomes the input.

Red Barchetta
01-27-2006, 07:27 PM
I emailed Brooks the results of our little poll earlier this week when we went back and forth regarding Nancy. 99% of WSI wanted either mostly organ or a 50 / 50 mix of organ and DJ. 1% wanted no organ. The poll did not stipulate Nancy was on organ - the generic term organ was used.

Not replacing Nancy during night games with another organist means the White Sox would be going with the 1% of fans for 2/3 (66%) of their home schedule (54 of 81 games).

I am glad Brooks has held off announcing the new arrangement as this gives them time to make the appropriate decision which will satisfy 99% of the fan base - hiring a second organist for games Nancy has off.

Please let Brooks know your preference. He is a good person and marketing man and he welcomes the input.

I wonder if Nancy asked to have her workload reduced? Maybe she didn't want to work at night any more. I agree that Brooks is a good guy and we need to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Milw
01-28-2006, 11:02 AM
I wonder if Nancy asked to have her workload reduced? Maybe she didn't want to work at night any more. I agree that Brooks is a good guy and we need to give him the benefit of the doubt.
I presumed this was Nancy's call, not the Sox's. Nancy has been at this a long time, so it's not unreasonable to think maybe she wants to lighten the workload.

Then again, I could be totally off on that. That was just my assumption.

Fenway
01-28-2006, 11:13 AM
I presumed this was Nancy's call, not the Sox's. Nancy has been at this a long time, so it's not unreasonable to think maybe she wants to lighten the workload.

Then again, I could be totally off on that. That was just my assumption.

It was Nancy's call about the cutback, there is no dispute there.

I wonder if Frank Pellico sending his resume and tape to the White Sox :?:

FarSouthSoxFan
01-28-2006, 12:18 PM

Yes. Apparently, she's tired of getting home after midnight for night games.

ode to veeck
01-28-2006, 12:53 PM
How about some celebrity replacement organists, I would love to hear B3 masters like George Duke, Rhoda Scott, Joey Defrancsco, or even local phenom Chris Forman, who plays with Henry Johnson's hot band (including Saxophonist Peter Rhootan, who once toiled in the kitchen alongside Voodoo and I many moons ago). Even if you got great organist "guests" for a few dates, it would be great! Too bad Jimmy Smith passed away just about exactly a year ago.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-28-2006, 01:01 PM

We are not questioning or debating Nancy's workload at this point. The White Sox and Nancy are saying publically this was a mutual agreement and that is what most are assuming is the case.

The issue is what will happen during the majority of White Sox games (54 or 2/3 based on last years schedule). It appears the White Sox are set to have a DJ with no organ.

Based on our little poll earlier this week 99% of WSI voters (well over 200) want either mostly organ or a mix of organ and DJ / music clips. 1% want only a DJ which is what the White Sox have thought about doing during games Nancy is off (i.e. most night games).

If you see Brooks and think we should have a substitute, apprentice or whatever other term you want to use for games Nancy will not play at let him know. He says he will be asking fans as well.

I am glad the White Sox have not gone public with the "Nothing But DJ Plan" before trying to get a feel of what White Sox fans think about the issue.

TheKittle
01-28-2006, 01:41 PM
It's not that easy to find somebody to play the organ and is a baseball fan. Nancy's talent isn't just playing the organ. Her talent comes in playing the right song, at the right time, in the right situation.

The last thing the White Sox need is somebody who doesn't care/know anything about baseball playing the organ. Can you imagine playing something like "Walk this way" when the MB has the basesloaded. It would kinda be like when HS cheerleaders, yell out Defense, while their team is on offense.

FoulTerritory
01-28-2006, 02:34 PM
It's not that easy to find somebody to play the organ and is a baseball fan. Nancy's talent isn't just playing the organ. Her talent comes in playing the right song, at the right time, in the right situation.

The last thing the White Sox need is somebody who doesn't care/know anything about baseball playing the organ. Can you imagine playing something like "Walk this way" when the MB has the basesloaded. It would kinda be like when HS cheerleaders, yell out Defense, while their team is on offense.

As someone already pointed out in another thread. There are 8 million people in the Chicago area. There has to be someone out there who fits the bill. It might just take some escavation on brooks' part. I'm willing to be patient and get the right person - I just don't want the organ permantly gone from the Sox experience when Nancy is fully retired.

TheKittle
01-28-2006, 02:38 PM
As someone already pointed out in another thread. There are 8 million people in the Chicago area. There has to be someone out there who fits the bill. It might just take some escavation on brooks' part. I'm willing to be patient and get the right person - I just don't want the organ permantly gone from the Sox experience when Nancy is fully retired.

Yes the law of averages would think that out of 8 million people there would be one person able to play the organ and know about baseball. But it's not like you see organ players in the HS or college band. I bet it would be hard to even find an organ teacher for a kid.

I don't really care one way or another to be honest. Nancy is great and all but I never really cared.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-28-2006, 03:16 PM

The dolt at Cubs games is better than an Ashlee Simpson, Tupak, Linsey Lohan clip.

Have tryouts and find out - don't say "it can't be done" and have it be a self fulfilling prophecy. We had organists before Nancy and although they were not as famous and did not last 1/5 of the time of her stay, they were better than Whitesnake when Finley takes the mound.

FoulTerritory
01-28-2006, 03:21 PM
The dolt at Cubs games is better than an Ashlee Simpson, Tupak, Linsey Lohan clip.

Have tryouts and find out - don't say "it can't be done" and have it be a self fulfilling prophecy. We had organists before Nancy and although they were not as famous and did not last 1/5 of the time of her stay, they were better than Whitesnake when Finley takes the mound.

my sentiments exactly

Fenway
01-28-2006, 03:26 PM
seriously

how bad can Pellico be?

http://www.orbitskate.net/Hub/images/image027.jpg

From 1970 to 1975 he played for the Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field

He played the convention crowds from New York. Los Angeles. Disney World and everywhere in-between.

In 1991 took on the position as organist for the Chicago Blackhawks at the Chicago Stadium on the worlds largest pipe organ and today is still the organist at the United Center.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-28-2006, 03:44 PM
seriously

how bad can Pellico be?

http://www.orbitskate.net/Hub/images/image027.jpg

From 1970 to 1975 he played for the Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field

He played the convention crowds from New York. Los Angeles. Disney World and everywhere in-between.

In 1991 took on the position as organist for the Chicago Blackhawks at the Chicago Stadium on the worlds largest pipe organ and today is still the organist at the United Center.

I had season tickets for 10 years with Frank on the organ. He isn't as good as Nancy (who was fired by a crabby Wirtz who didn't like her playing North Star games when the Hawks were out of town) but he is pretty good and came up with some good Hawk song references.

Boyer and the White Sox have plenty of time to reassess their initial thought of not replacing Nancy for night games. The money can't be a big factor (can it?). If the White Sox were happy with the organ, the team would have searched for a night game replacement without proding from concerned fans. The club has wanted to replace the organ for years, long before Boyer arrived and I don't think the Rob Gallas was the only person with animosity toward the organ.

Brooks said he appreciated my feedback. This was the first time I contacted the club about a concern in over 30 years as being a White Sox fan and sometime season ticket holder. Hopefully, this will be resolved and 98% of White Sox fans will be happy.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65613

Fenway
01-28-2006, 03:55 PM
I had season tickets for 10 years with Frank on the organ. He isn't as good as Nancy (who was fired by a crabby Wirtz who didn't like her playing North Star games when the Hawks were out of town) but he is pretty good and came up with some good Hawk song references.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65613

I think they be asking for trouble if they had an empty locked booth for night games. Frank is used to playing before big crowds and there is already a White Sox/Blackhawks connection in Gene Honda.

The Yankees as I stated before replaced Eddie Layton with 2 organists splitting the schedule and while people miss Eddie they have accepted the new guys.

http://www.ballparktour.com/Ed_Alstrom.html

"In March of this year (2004), I obviously knew Mr. Layton was retiring, so I took a chance and just called them up and asked them if they were looking for a replacement. To my surprise, I got through to the right people and they said, "Sure, come in and let's hear you play". I went out to the Stadium and positioned myself at the mighty Colonnade, with Mr. Layton standing in the doorway 'requesting' tunes: "OK, play me a little 'NY, NY'..... play me 'Happy Birthday'.... how about some 'National Anthem'.... Canadian National Anthem'.... 'Take Me Out To The Ballgame'.... I played about 30-45 seconds of each, and that was the audition; the whole thing was about 5 minutes.

"They reacted favorably and told me they would contact me. About 2 weeks later, I was called and told that they needed someone to do Saturdays and Sundays, since Paul Cartier had already been contracted for the weekdays, but had weekend commitments that precluded him from playing at the Stadium. I, of course accepted, and here we are!

http://www.ballparktour.com/Ed_Alstrom_Organist.jpg

I want Mags back
01-28-2006, 05:32 PM
I wonder if Frank Pellico sending his resume and tape to the White Sox :?:

Yeh i was thinking they should try to get him in there. Im sure his offseason is boring now and would like to be a part of a WINNING team