PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia Blue Jays

Baby Fisk
01-27-2006, 03:40 PM
There have been two Blue Jays teams in MLB history.

The Philadelphia National League franchise (known as the "Phillies" for most of their existence) actually added the nickname "Blue Jays" for the 1944 and 1945 seasons. The uniforms still said Phillies (?), but for two years there was a jay bird on the sleeve. In 1946, the bird disappeared from the uniform and they stopped using the Blue Jay nickname. Astound your family at the dinner table tonight!

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/1203/philabluejays3ky.gif

ShoelessJoeS
01-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Isn't a Philly a type of horse or something? What's with the bird?

pythons007
01-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Isn't a Philly a type of horse or something? What's with the bird?

No its a Philly steak sandwich

ShoelessJoeS
01-27-2006, 05:27 PM
No its a Philly steak sandwich:rolling: :roflmao:

SOXintheBURGH
01-27-2006, 05:32 PM
No its a Philly steak sandwich

Oh God.

You have no idea how many times I have heard the endless Philadelphia debate about cheesesteaks. Pat's or Gino's? Pat's or Gino's? Gino's sucks! Pat's sucks!

Make it stop.. :o:

Hangar18
01-27-2006, 05:42 PM
Can someone send those pics to the Toronto AL baseball team,
Let them know a Blue Jay is ACTUALLY BLUE in color. they are not BLACK.
Those would be Ravens or Crows.

slavko
01-27-2006, 08:28 PM
The bird in question does have some black in its feathers, IIRC. Baseball-reference.com verifies the '43-44 Blue Jays nickname. WSI makes you smart.

Soxfanspcu11
01-27-2006, 08:42 PM
I also really like that old Jays logo, but I don't really know why.

I mean, it's pretty simple, nothing special. I think it may be the layout and the color scheme. I dunno, maybe all 3! Either way, they should bring it back.

Someone posted on here awhile back that the new Jays uniforms are Devil Rays knockoffs, and he/she is right! And that is pathetic!

EastCoastSoxFan
01-30-2006, 10:36 AM
Oh God.

You have no idea how many times I have heard the endless Philadelphia debate about cheesesteaks. Pat's or Gino's? Pat's or Gino's? Gino's sucks! Pat's sucks!

I've never been to either place, but you can get a good cheesesteak just about anywhere around here.
Dammit, now I'm getting hungry. When's lunch?!?

samram
01-30-2006, 10:48 AM
I've never been to either place, but you can get a good cheesesteak just about anywhere around here.
Dammit, now I'm getting hungry. When's lunch?!?

Whiz with or without?

Fenway
01-30-2006, 10:51 AM
Oh God.

I won't enter the debate of which is better but the thing that makes both of them stand out is all the counter guys look like they were extras in a Rocky movie.

What I don't understand about Philadelphia is scrapple ( which I admit I like but I do not want to know what is in it )

SOXintheBURGH
01-30-2006, 11:19 AM
I won't enter the debate of which is better but the thing that makes both of them stand out is all the counter guys look like they were extras in a Rocky movie.

What I don't understand about Philadelphia is scrapple ( which I admit I like but I do not want to know what is in it )

Scrapple is just a big mound of pork fat fried to perfection. :tongue:

BTW, I do prefer Pat's. Wit'.

EastCoastSoxFan
01-30-2006, 01:36 PM
Whiz with or without?
No whiz.
Provolone.
And Philly scrapple is something that does NOT inspire excessive curiosity (from me, anyway)...

SOXintheBURGH
01-30-2006, 01:41 PM
No whiz.
Provolone.
And Philly scrapple is something that does NOT inspire excessive curiosity (from me, anyway)...

Provolone with is the best sammich at Gino's.
Whiz wit' is the best sammich at Pat's.

Fenway
01-30-2006, 02:00 PM
http://www.sports-memorabilia-museum.com/pennants/philadelphia-phillies-baseball-pennant.jpg