PDA

View Full Version : So, who in the media actually likes the White Sox?

miker
01-27-2006, 11:20 AM
It didn't bother me while I was still basking in the afterglow of the World Series and to some extent, it doesn't bother me as much as it used to, but obviously the anti-White Sox folks in the media are going to become even more shrill and vicious if the White Sox continue to be successful on the field and at the gate.

There has to be somebody...local or national, doesn't matter...that says nice things about the White Sox. Help me make a list so I can send them a "thank you" letter or buy them a beer or something!

I have one to start the list:
1. John Kass - Chicago Tribune
2. _________?

SOXintheBURGH
01-27-2006, 11:28 AM
Tim Cowlishaw on ATH jumped on the Sox bandwagon before the All-Star break and never got off.

Baby Fisk
01-27-2006, 11:29 AM
That Mark Liptak guy used to really rip on the Sox, but he seems to have come around lately. :bandance:

Dick Allen
01-27-2006, 11:49 AM
Richard Roeper in the Sun-Times, but he's about the only one at that newspaper who does.

Chicken Dinner
01-27-2006, 12:03 PM
You must be a sustained force before you will get any acknowledgment. 1 year is not that force. Let the Sox put together some winning years consecutively, and then you will get that respect.

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-27-2006, 12:07 PM
Why bother worrying about it?

Sports writers are, in general, ineffective to me. They don't pay for their tickets, a great majority of them never played the game, they get self promotion for causing controversy(i.e., Moronotti). Let them all sit, stew and say what they like. If they never like the Sox, it makes winning all that more fun.

sullythered
01-27-2006, 12:08 PM
Mulligan on The Score is a pretty staunch Sox fan. He was a lot of fun to listen to during the playoffs. Especially when the subject of Damaso Marte came up.

santo=dorf
01-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Ken Rosenthal of the Foxsports.com, The Sporting News, and sometimes ESPN respects the Sox and KW.

Rooney4Prez56
01-27-2006, 12:38 PM
Ken Rosenthal of the Foxsports.com, The Sporting News, and sometimes ESPN respects the Sox and KW.

The only ESPN guy who I've ever heard mention the Sox in a positive way is Mike Wilbon.

ChiSoxRowand
01-27-2006, 12:46 PM
All the guys at BA seem to respect the Sox and KW.

miker
01-27-2006, 01:09 PM
Why bother worrying about it?

Sports writers are, in general, ineffective to me. They don't pay for their tickets, a great majority of them never played the game, they get self promotion for causing controversy(i.e., Moronotti). Let them all sit, stew and say what they like. If they never like the Sox, it makes winning all that more fun.
You know what? I agree with you...but I still would like to acknowledge those that either support or at least give the White Sox a fair shake.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-27-2006, 01:42 PM
Complete List

Hawk Harrelson
DJ
John Rooney
Ed Farmer
Bryan Dolgan
Dave Wills
Bill Melton
Bill Gleason
John Kass
Steve Dahl
Richard Roper
Marc Giangreco
Jay Mariotti
The entire staff at Baseball Prospectus

Uncle_Patrick
01-27-2006, 01:46 PM
You must be a sustained force before you will get any acknowledgment.

The Cubs are exempt from that rule.

Hitmen77
01-27-2006, 01:58 PM
Complete List

Hawk Harrelson
DJ
John Rooney
Ed Farmer
Bryan Dolgan
Dave Wills
Bill Melton
Bill Gleason
John Kass
Steve Dahl
Richard Roper
Marc Giangreco
Jay Mariotti
The entire staff at Baseball Prospectus

Rich King from Channel 9 is a huge Sox fan. Their anchorwoman Allison Payne is a Sox fan too.

skottyj242
01-27-2006, 01:58 PM
The only ESPN guy who I've ever heard mention the Sox in a positive way is Mike Wilbon.

When? That guy hates the White Sox, he's a total Cub guy.

SOXintheBURGH
01-27-2006, 02:03 PM
When? That guy hates the White Sox, he's a total Cub guy.

He wears Cubs jersey's on air a lot, but he often has been quoted on saying he "likes both teams" due to growing up on the South Side yet worshipping Banks as a young black male. He went balls out nuts for us during the playoffs. I like Wilbon.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-27-2006, 02:10 PM
Rich King from Channel 9 is a huge Sox fan. Their anchorwoman Allison Payne is a Sox fan too.

Yes, my complete list was more tongue in cheek since I rarely watch or read local media. Rich King better worry about his job at WGN. I do remember Allison Payne's interviews after the playoffs (either in Anaheim or Houston) where she interviewed Minnie Minoso who was pretty goofy to say the least.

I am sure there are a couple more on sports talk radio (which I never listen too except for Sox pre / post game and the rare White Sox interview), newspapers and possibly the local news.

DaleJRFan
01-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Steve Phillips has been very complimentary of the Sox, Ozzie and KW since the All-Star break and hasn't backed down, even when challenged. Despite the guys obvious faults as a GM, give him cred for admitting he was wrong and coming to the Sox side of the house...

Phil Rogers is pretty knowledgable on the Sox and Dan McNeil, despite the fact that he is a loudmouthed assclown, claims to be a Sox fan.

Does Hal Vickery count? That guy can out-write the vast majority of the Chicago "Sports Media" so I am going to go ahead and count him here.

TheDarkGundam
01-27-2006, 02:45 PM
He wears Cubs jersey's on air a lot, but he often has been quoted on saying he "likes both teams" due to growing up on the South Side yet worshipping Banks as a young black male. He went balls out nuts for us during the playoffs. I like Wilbon.
He always seems to give the Sox respect. I think it was yesterday, he said there's a 100% chance Frank gets to 500 homeruns (Kornheiser said 0%)
Also, IIRC, he has worn a Sox jersey on the air too.

DumpJerry
01-27-2006, 03:12 PM
You must be a sustained force before you will get any acknowledgment. 1 year is not that force. Let the Sox put together some winning years consecutively, and then you will get that respect.
By "winning," I presume you mean World Series winners since I cannot recall the last time the Sox finished below .500.

mjharrison72
01-27-2006, 03:14 PM
He always seems to give the Sox respect. I think it was yesterday, he said there's a 100% chance Frank gets to 500 homeruns (Kornheiser said 0%)
Also, IIRC, he has worn a Sox jersey on the air too.
This is exactly what I hate about ESPN... everything's extreme. Even I, an admittedly biased Frank Thomas fan, would say he has only about a 40% chance of getting to 500. My point is, I would choose a number somewhere between zero and 100, not the extreme end.

ESPN thinks by putting opinionated blowhards out there, they're making sports analysis more entertaining. I'd rather have level-headed analysis that would leave me with some idea of how good of a chance people actually think Frank has of hitting 500 homers. As of now, all I know is there's one "expert" who thinks he has no chance, and one who thinks he definitely will.

PaulDrake
01-27-2006, 03:37 PM
By "winning," I presume you mean World Series winners since I cannot recall the last time the Sox finished below .500. The White Sox were 75-86 in 1999. They once had 17 straight winning seasons. I could go for a repeat of that, which would include of course another 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 WS titles.

Scottiehaswheels
01-27-2006, 03:45 PM
Scoop Jackson at ESPN? I remember one article of his that was pro-Sox during the series, he's from the southside... I can't remember how good an article it was and how many Scrub references it had though....

MarySwiss
01-27-2006, 03:50 PM
Two at the Arizona Republic--Paola Boivin and Joseph Reaves--had only nice things to say about them.

The Racehorse
01-27-2006, 06:10 PM
That Mark Liptak guy used to really rip on the Sox, but he seems to have come around lately. :bandance:

If there's ever a situation where me & Lip are in the same room, establishment, bar, etc., that is serving alcohol, I stand here and exclaim Lip's money won't be any good because I'll be buying all his drinks.

Lip rules. :cool:

oeo
01-27-2006, 06:33 PM

First it was, we need to win something and we'd get the respect, now this? That's the biggest load of crap ever...they will never acknowledge us. Did the Cubs win consecutive years? Nope, they choked in the NLCS and were written off 2004 World Series Champions before the season.

hellenicsoxfan
01-27-2006, 08:23 PM
Warner Saunders of channel 5 is a big Sox fan. Also, Corey McPherrin is a fan. Remember how he broke down on camera and had to walk away for a minute after the Sox had beaten the Angels.

DumpJerry
01-27-2006, 10:35 PM
The White Sox were 75-86 in 1999. They once had 17 straight winning seasons. I could go for a repeat of that, which would include of course another 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 WS titles included.
I've blocked out 1999 from my memory. That is why I don't recall it.

pearso66
01-27-2006, 10:47 PM
you can Sean Salsbury on the side of non-sox fan. I overheard him on Carmen and Silvy the other day, when they were arguing if it was a Bears town, or some other town, everyone was saying its definitally a Bears town, and Salsbury says " I hope it becomes a Cubs town, I'd love for them to win the Series and take the town over, nothing against the Sox of course"

RadioheadRocks
01-27-2006, 11:21 PM
First it was, we need to win something and we'd get the respect, now this? That's the biggest load of crap ever...they will never acknowledge us. Did the Cubs win consecutive years? Nope, they choked in the NLCS and were written off 2004 World Series Champions before the season.

Hehhehheh, the Cubs have problems putting consecutive .500 or better years together! :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Tragg
01-28-2006, 02:11 AM
I thought Stewart Scott was a Sox fan. could be wrong.

32nd&Wallace
01-28-2006, 11:49 AM
National Media:
Peter Gammons (Out of all the ESPN analysts, he has given them the most praise)
Buster Olney
Some guy who writes for MSNBC.com and is a Red Sox fan but lived in Chicago for sometime and followed the Sox, name escapes me.
Mike Greenberg (Cub fan, but very, very fair)

Local Media:
All the onair personalities at the Score, sans Mike Murphy
Lou Canelis
Rich King
Robin Robinson
COrey McPherrin
Ryan Baker
Tom Shaer
KEvin Matthews
Steve Dahl

russ99
01-28-2006, 10:34 PM
Phil Rogers is pretty knowledgable on the Sox

Oh, please. Phil Rogers has been a complete cub butt-kiss and apologist for the last 4+ years,

He only started cutting the Sox some slack when they had the league-best record early last season. The only worse offender in semi-recent memory (other than the personal attacks on Reinsdorf by Mariotti) was Skip Bayless (ick - it actually hurt to type that name) :o:

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-29-2006, 01:01 AM
J. Hood was about the only guy that I ever listened to on the Score because he actually talked about the Sox quite a bit, even though at times he was critical of them(but then again, who wasn't? This was during the Jerry Manuel era). Did he ever latch on at ESPN 1000? I never get the chance to listen to that station out here.

JUribe1989
01-29-2006, 01:10 AM
Senior NBA writer Sam Smith of the Chicago Cubune is a huge Sox fan.

pcp1960
01-29-2006, 08:34 AM
So is Terry Armour of the Chicago Cubune.

Scottiehaswheels
01-29-2006, 08:57 AM
Not sure if this makes a difference but I've seen Mark Suppelsa (sp?) at Sox games before and he was sitting in the stands down in Houston and I talked to him for a minute or 2.. He didn't look like he was doing any reporting at the time so I would imagine he was there as a fan?

SOXSINCE'70
01-29-2006, 09:31 AM
I've blocked out 1999 from my memory. That is why I don't recall it.

With the exception of sweeping the sCrUBS at the Urinal,
I also have blocked out 1999,not to mention 1998.:mad:

wolcott10
01-29-2006, 12:33 PM
Not sure if this makes a difference but I've seen Mark Suppelsa (sp?) at Sox games before and he was sitting in the stands down in Houston and I talked to him for a minute or 2.. He didn't look like he was doing any reporting at the time so I would imagine he was there as a fan?

I believe Mark Suppelsa is a Cubs fan, because I remember during the 2003 NLCS, he was wearing a "Cubs National League Champions" t-shirt before the game was over.

Everyone knows how that game went.

32nd&Wallace
01-29-2006, 12:39 PM
Senior NBA writer Sam Smith of the Chicago Cubune is a huge Sox fan.Sam Smith also is a big Cub hater. Once called Cub fans stupid on the Tribune Live. This was in March. He also said on the same show that the Sox have the best pitching staff in baseball.

Lip Man 1
01-29-2006, 01:06 PM
Ed Sherman of the Tribune is a Sox fan, comes from a Sox family and also is a frequent visitor to WSI. He told me during the post season that because of WSI his son now plays the 1959 White Sox song on their computer a dozen times a day.

Also you are forgetting Bob Vanderberg, the associate sports editor of the Tribune and author of at least two White Sox books.

And Rich Lindberg who is often consulted by the Tribune on historical White Sox material is the author of four Sox books.

But the bottom line is this, the only thing that matters is that YOU are a Sox fan....whether someone else is or not, regardless of whether they are in the media or now doesn't matter a wit.

And thanks for the kind words......

Lip

Stoky44
01-30-2006, 10:25 AM
John Kruk from baseball tonight is a sox fan I think. I know he likes Ozzie a lot.

spawn
01-30-2006, 11:50 AM
J. Hood was about the only guy that I ever listened to on the Score because he actually talked about the Sox quite a bit, even though at times he was critical of them(but then again, who wasn't? This was during the Jerry Manuel era). Did he ever latch on at ESPN 1000? I never get the chance to listen to that station out here.
I was about to mention J.Hood. He did latch on with ESPN1000, and is an avid Sox fan.

White Sox Randy
01-30-2006, 11:50 AM
I've met Corey McPherrin and he told me that he grew up in the south suburbs and he truly is a Sox fan.

Stoky44
01-30-2006, 12:13 PM

On Friday night, I went up to the score booth and was a total smart ass. I went up to lawrence holmes, and said "J-hood? how you doing? You loose some weight?" they gave me a look and then I said "Jigs, that you? Or Tommy "big papa" Williams?" They all then gave me a look and just pointed to the little name plate with holmes name on it and said those guys are no longer working for the station. I came back to say "Man you guys really cleaned house, huh. You had to get rid of that hot dog moron Mike North. Its about time." I smiled and walked away.

Goose
01-30-2006, 03:00 PM
John Kruk from baseball tonight is a sox fan I think. I know he likes Ozzie a lot.

Were you watching the same Kruk I was this past season? I would definitely NOT consider him a Sox-guy!

TornLabrum
01-30-2006, 03:55 PM
On Friday night, I went up to the score booth and was a total smart ass. I went up to lawrence holmes, and said "J-hood? how you doing? You loose some weight?" they gave me a look and then I said "Jigs, that you? Or Tommy "big papa" Williams?" They all then gave me a look and just pointed to the little name plate with holmes name on it and said those guys are no longer working for the station. I came back to say "Man you guys really cleaned house, huh. You had to get rid of that hot dog moron Mike North. Its about time." I smiled and walked away.

I'm pleased to see that nobody here made a complete ass of himself at SoxFest.

doublem23
01-30-2006, 04:49 PM
The only name you need to know is John Kass. By far, the best columnist in the city. He alone makes up for the propoganda machine he works for.

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-31-2006, 12:35 PM
I thought Stewart Scott was a Sox fan. could be wrong.

Stewart Scott is a jock sniffer. I cannot STAND that tool.

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-31-2006, 12:36 PM

John Kruk?? Where's the teal??? Another bandwagon jumper.

IMO, Kruk is the John Madden of Baseball. MOTO.

TommyJohn
01-31-2006, 02:14 PM
I'm pleased to see that nobody here made a complete ass of himself at SoxFest.

I just want to know where all that weight went once he shook it loose.