PDA

View Full Version : rick helling

hold2dibber
01-04-2002, 01:53 PM
Peter Gammons is reporting that the South Siders are one of several clubs talking to Rick Helling. Although I'm desparate for another starter, I don't think he's the answer; he's been pretty bad the last few years.

Jerry_Manuel
01-04-2002, 01:55 PM
Here is what he said:
Q: What's the scoop on Rick Helling? I was surprised the Rangers non-tendered him. Who's interested? It seems like he would be a great fit in Seattle. Any chance the M's are talking to him? -- John Anderson, Seattle
PWG -- The Mets, Phillies, White Sox, Tigers and Brewers are all in line. My guess is that if things go right, the Mets and Phillies will bid hard on him.

PANFIRECRACKER
01-04-2002, 02:08 PM
wasn't the saying in texas a few years ago "Sele and Helling, then comes the shelling"? I don't think this guy's the answer.

Kilroy
01-04-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by PANFIRECRACKER
wasn't the saying in texas a few years ago "Sele and Helling, then comes the shelling"? I don't think this guy's the answer.

Yeah, but that shelling came after Helling's turn. Helling throws 200+ innings and has still manged to have a winning record on those piss-poor Texas teams the last 2 seasons. When they were good, he won 20 games. I wouldn't be disappointed if the Sox picked him up...

Soxboyrob
01-04-2002, 04:01 PM
My fear is that he's another Ritchie type. Not that I have a problem w/ having a Ritchie type in the rotation, but I'm not too crazy about having 2 Ritchies in there. He's basically a many innings/high ERA guy in the mold of Baldwin or Ritchie. If we're gonna go after Helling, then we shoulda just kept the 3 guys we gave up for Ritchie and instead signed Helling.

duke of dorwood
01-04-2002, 04:38 PM
Folks-we aint getting no starting pitcher that we dont get by trade.

:KW

I like the way you think

MattSharp
01-04-2002, 05:06 PM
I think hes a bit expensive for what he is. I would rather see the Sox save the money and pursue a real ace somewhere down the road. Instead they pay this guys big bucks to pitch like Jamie Navarro

Foulke You
01-04-2002, 05:35 PM
:jaime

Are you implying that I'm not a great pitcher?!

MattSharp
01-04-2002, 07:51 PM
Damn straight!

czalgosz
01-04-2002, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
My fear is that he's another Ritchie type. Not that I have a problem w/ having a Ritchie type in the rotation, but I'm not too crazy about having 2 Ritchies in there. He's basically a many innings/high ERA guy in the mold of Baldwin or Ritchie. If we're gonna go after Helling, then we shoulda just kept the 3 guys we gave up for Ritchie and instead signed Helling.

Well, Ritchie and Helling are about opposite in terms of what type of pitcher they are - Helling is a strikeout pitcher who gives up a lot of homers and fly balls, and Ritchie gives up a lot of grounders. Actually, I think Ritchie is ideally suited for the slow infield at Comiskey park, but I could be wrong.

If you want a pitcher who's a lot like Rick Helling, look no further than our old friend James Baldwin.

czalgosz
01-04-2002, 08:20 PM
Besides, Boston talking about a club being interested in a player is pretty much a guarantee that that club will NOT get that player.