PDA

View Full Version : What is going to happen to Tiger Stadium?

PKalltheway
01-26-2006, 06:27 PM
Could anybody please inform me to the future of Tiger Stadium? I know it's still standing but are they going to move an independent league team there? Are they going to tear it down? Will it become a museum? I am curious to know.

doublem23
01-26-2006, 08:19 PM
Last I heard, no one has any plans for the property, so it's just standing there. The only thing that's happened at Tiger Stadium in the last few years I'm aware of is that Billy Crystal used it to film his film, 61*.

My dad and I are talking about catching a Sox game in Detroit next year. I wish they'd still give tours of the place until someone proposes something to do with the land.

VivaOzzie
01-26-2006, 08:45 PM
I was in down in Detroit earlier this week and saw Tigers Stadium for the first time, I had no idea where it was. It was a pretty sad sight, kind of off by itself and looking in really bad shape. From what I've heard around here, nobody knows what to do with it. And as long as the current mayor is in office, my bet is nothing will change. It's outside of the small 'downtown' area that they are trying to improve, so I guess it's S.O.L. :(:

Huisj
01-26-2006, 09:36 PM
I decided to drive by it when I was leaving the auto show on saturday just to see what the area looks like now, and it's really sad. It was already a desolate area 6 or 7 years ago when they still played there, and now it's just amazing. There seems to be no life in existance within a few blocks of the stadium, or at least none visible in January.

Basically, it seems like it's a classic situation of not having the heart to tear it down and not having the money to do something neat with it. If I'm not mistaken, there has been talk now and then about tearing it down, and everytime, someone makes a fuss about its historical significance and comes up with some big plan to convert it to shops or condos and somehow keep the field there too, but the plans are without any actual funding that or in-depth planning that would be needed to do any of it. So intead, it just sits there, and the paint gradually peels, and the metal slowly rusts more, and the neighborhood around it rots away. Apparently, the city of Detroit actually pays the Tigers thousands of dollars a year to do minor upkeep on the field, which is basically just mowing, but from what I've heard, the turf is terribly weed infested now. There has also been talk at times about holding high school tournaments there, but the cost to maintain the place enough to keep it in shape for that would be way to high for what they'd get out of it. It's sad to see, especially having grown up going to games there now and then (it's where I got my first autograph too--Dave Martinez when he was with the Sox).

EDIT: I looked up a little about it, and it looks like there's some talk that Bud Bowl might actually be taking place there next weekend as part of the Super Bowl festivities. That's interesting. Bud Bowl will take over Tiger Stadium--Detroit News (http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060110/ENT01/601100417/1033)

I_Liked_Manuel
01-26-2006, 11:14 PM
from what i understand through my friends from detroit, every time that the tigers want to tear it down, preservationists throw a hug fit. basically, it's just going to sit there until it is either condemned or falls down on its own.

PKalltheway
01-26-2006, 11:50 PM
Wow, thanks for the updates. I don't see why they are really keeping it up to tell you the truth. If you want to leave it standing, then have events in there. I'm not talking about an event once every three years. I mean events year round like high school baseball, high school football, music festivals, something. If you aren't going to have anything in there, then just go on and tear it down. If it costs too much to have that stuff there, then tear it down. I understand that the stadium is historically significant, but if nothing is going to be held there and you're just going to let it sit there and fall apart, that isn't good. Just ignore the critics wanting to leave it up and get it over with.

elrod
01-27-2006, 12:06 AM
Detroit is the sorriest excuse for a metropolis in the whole country. Should anybody be surprised that Tiger Stadium is left to rot?

Soxfanspcu11
01-27-2006, 12:07 AM
Not to offend anyone who lives in the Detroit area, but it seems that there are MANY buildings in the city itself that need to be torn down that are still standing for some reason.

I have been there only once a few years ago so I could be wrong now, but back in 2003, there were seemingly dozens of buildings that were falling down on their own, it looked really sad, from what I saw.

RadioheadRocks
01-27-2006, 12:14 AM
Not to offend anyone who lives in the Detroit area, but it seems that there are MANY buildings in the city itself that need to be torn down that are still standing for some reason.

No more calls, we have a winner!!! :D:

Soxfanspcu11
01-27-2006, 12:21 AM
No more calls, we have a winner!!! :D:

Hey, I wasn't sure if it would be appropriate to maliciously attack another city's problems. After all, there are some people in Sacramento looking for new jobs for doing just that.

Plus I do happen to think it's not a good thing to insult the victims of that city being a **** hole, so I was trying to be PC about it, whatever.
</IMG>

Baby Fisk
01-27-2006, 08:42 AM
A great article on Tiger Stadium and the ongoing discussions of what to do with it can be found here. (http://www.mudvillemagazine.com/archives/04_2003/)

Tiger Stadium is still around. For Detroit is the only city in America where the new park sits in the figurative shadow of its elder. In most cities, when a new stadium is built, the old one, unless it has other uses, is bulldozed and the property developed. Not so in Detroit. The property is unattractive to developers, a problem that infects all of Detroit. In fact, most of the buildings in downtown Detroit are abandoned. Walk through your downtown and try to imagine a twelve block section of empty skyscrapers boarded up, falling apart, home only to countless vagrants and the occasional rave. You can't just blow these places up: by the estimates we found, it would cost anywhere from two to six million dollars to kill a building the size of Tiger Stadium. Normally these costs are considered a part of the redevelopment plan, but if there is no plan, that's just wasted tax dollars in a city that doesn't have much to spend.

soxinem1
01-27-2006, 09:03 AM
The last time I saw a game(s) in Tiger stadium was in 1991, when the Tigers swept the Sox in a DH. It was one of Ron Kittle's last series as a White Sox. I always loved Tiger Stadium because, except for the upper deck seats in CF, it is so much like Comiskey Park was!

Last year I went through Detroit on my way up further north, just to see what it looked like, and it was pure hell. That neighborhood has been rough since the mid-60's. I ran into some guy walking out of the park who said he was security/caretaker and asked if I could see the inside and I got a quick peek............

It looked like Comiskey again, except it looked like Comiskey before it was torn down. High grass, dandelions, discoloration. Talk about a standing corpse, or better yet, a baseball graveyard. When you encounter something nostalgic, you can usually imagine something from the past, the 1984 Tigers, Al Kaline, Ty Cobb, Mickey Lolich, Mayo Smith, Sparky, the 1968 Tigers, Mickey Cochrane, Hughie Jennings, all the great baseball history that was part of a place like that stadium. Instead, I felt like I was in an Edgar Allan Poe story and just had to get out. It was that brutal, just like being in an abandoned 1700's cemetery.

I t sort of reminded me of Willie Mays talking about going to the Polo Grounds years after the Giants left New York. Except they threw it together for a few more years when the Mets arrived. But Mays often stated that he couldn't believe that the place that used to be packed to the till looked like it did. Especially with the turf not taken care of.

Without getting too political, this great stadium is the perfect poster child for Detroit. Desolate, abandoned, and a dad gum shame.

As much as I love old parks, this should be torn down.

I_Liked_Manuel
01-27-2006, 09:58 AM

I have been there only once a few years ago so I could be wrong now, but back in 2003, there were seemingly dozens of buildings that were falling down on their own, it looked really sad, from what I saw.
to give an idea to some as to how pathetic the city of detroit is- there is a building, lee plaza, that's probably somewhere around 20 stories. it was a significant architectural site in detroit, but over the years people have taken out all of the windows, and gone and scavaged all of the cement molds (or whatever they're called) from the building. most of them have ended up on new apartments and condos in chicago. people would literally break into the building and go and knock out a part of the exterior wall to get these things.

the only thing of any value that remained in this historic building was the copper roof. it was made out of huge panels of copper that sit 20 stories up, overlooking the city. over the last month, scavangers have taken it down, piece by piece, without anybody knowing. THEY STOLE THE WHOLE ROOF.

here's a link to a picture of the building before the roof was stolen- http://forgottenmichigan.com/gallery/UE/LeePlaza/001Building4_JPG.jpg.html

Baby Fisk
01-27-2006, 10:02 AM
The Fabulous Ruins of Detroit (http://detroityes.com/toc.htm)

This site is a bit clunky, but comprehensive. And depressing.

Fenway
01-27-2006, 10:15 AM
I was stunned when I saw Tiger Stadium last July simply waiting for the next game that will never be played.

When I was there they were rebuilding every freeway ( I was told for the Super Bowl ) and the only activity downtown on a Saturday night was the line going into the tunnel to Canada.

Detroit and Buffalo are the 2 cities that have just rotted away. Cleveland to it's credit has showed some signs of life as does Pittsburgh.

Hangar18
01-27-2006, 11:08 AM
Im glad its still there ............ hopefully in the next few years, someone will come forward and agree to make a museum of the place. Dont Rush To Tear it down just yet.

Chicken Dinner
01-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Boom!!!

Fenway
01-27-2006, 03:36 PM
How Tiger Stadium looked on July 2, 2005

VivaOzzie
01-27-2006, 04:51 PM
I don't know how much truth there is to this, but a guy I work with told me that he is going to see Snoop and others perform at a show at Tiger Stadium on the Friday before the Super Bowl. He also said that he heard 3 Doors Down will be playing on Saturday night. Not sure how true this is, but he said that his friend got them tickets for it...

Fenway
01-27-2006, 06:01 PM
How Tiger Stadium looked on July 2, 2005
You know what is amazing? Nobody has stolen the bleachers sign

chisoxfan64
01-27-2006, 06:11 PM
You know what is amazing? Nobody has stolen the bleachers sign

Give me time.

robertks61
01-27-2006, 06:13 PM
I don't know how much truth there is to this, but a guy I work with told me that he is going to see Snoop and others perform at a show at Tiger Stadium on the Friday before the Super Bowl. He also said that he heard 3 Doors Down will be playing on Saturday night. Not sure how true this is, but he said that his friend got them tickets for it...

From what I have read a party is being hosted at Tiger Stadium. I'm pretty sure it's Budweiser but don't quote me. I believe that they have a tent inside the park to host the event.

RadioheadRocks
01-27-2006, 06:36 PM
Hey, I wasn't sure if it would be appropriate to maliciously attack another city's problems. After all, there are some people in Sacramento looking for new jobs for doing just that.

Plus I do happen to think it's not a good thing to insult the victims of that city being a **** hole, so I was trying to be PC about it, whatever.
</IMG>

Sorry if my comment was taken out of context... it wasn't directed at you (or anyone else) personally; basically it meant your comment hit the nail on the head.

Huisj
01-28-2006, 01:14 PM
From what I have read a party is being hosted at Tiger Stadium. I'm pretty sure it's Budweiser but don't quote me. I believe that they have a tent inside the park to host the event.

Check my first post on the first page of this thread for a link to a story about this. Bud Bowl is being done inside Tiger Stadium. They're setting up some sort of big climate controlled tent inside the stadium for it.

Fenway
01-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Ford Field isn't the only sports arena that will explode with life during February's much-anticipated Super Bowl. After six years of disuse, so will Tiger Stadium.
At 8:30 p.m. on Feb. 3 and 4, Budweiser and Bud Light will stage Bud Bowl 2006, featuring live "One Night Stand" concerts. They will take place on the infield in a 132-foot-by-230-foot climate-controlled tent, complete with plywood floors covered with Astroturf, that organizers are dubbing "Club 1620" -- after the ballpark's Michigan Avenue address.
Performers have yet to be announced. A spokesman for Bud's parent company, Anheuser-Busch, promises their names, once released, will grab attention.
"The acts are big," says former Detroit Lion James Hunter, who's now with the beer conglomerate.
Tickets will be available only through radio-station giveaways and promotions at local bars, clubs and restaurants.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060110/ENT01/601100417/1033

skobabe8
01-28-2006, 02:56 PM

That guy has a pretty interesting photo essay about Tiger Stadium and doesnt hide his feelings about how Comerica Park (which he refuses to call it) came to be.

Fenway
01-28-2006, 02:59 PM
That guy has a pretty interesting photo essay about Tiger Stadium and doesnt hide his feelings about how Comerica Park (which he refuses to call it) came to be.

this article from a year ago shows time is short

http://www.detnews.com/2005/business/0503/03/E01-106015.htm

Chisox1500
01-28-2006, 08:35 PM
That website is an amazing piece of history.

C-Dawg
01-29-2006, 09:08 PM

Another good one is:

www.forgottendetroit.com

I've only been there once (in 2003, saw the Sox and Jon Garland beat the Tigers). I found Detroit completely fascinating! I could have spent the entire Labor Day weekend just driving around looking at the surreal empty neighborhoods and desolate downtown areas. Sure, its nice near Comerica Park (its in the theatre district), but just a few blocks away are decaying abandoned buildings.

gowhitesox
01-30-2006, 12:48 AM
At least old Tiger Stadium will get some use with the Bud Bowl concert.

Last I knew Tiger Stadium was on the National register of historic places. Saw some good ball games in that old ball park. Sad to see it rot away.

Foulke You
01-30-2006, 01:06 PM
A local news station in Detroit did an investigation into what is happening with Tiger Stadium and where the $2.5 million paid by the city of Detroit to maintain the ballpark is actually going. Sounds like Mike Ilitch might have something to do with it...read on:

The city's chief developer, Walt Watkins, would not say why the city and his office have denied development proposals or less expensive maintenance plans.

Some observers believe there is a man who has something to do with it. Remember the $2.5 million the city paid for the maintenance of Tiger Stadium? Every single penny went to Mike Ilitch who agreed to take care of Tiger Stadium.

Both Bob Schultz and Peter Riley say the politically powerful Ilitch doesn’t want to see Tiger Stadium redeveloped because it would mean competition for Comerica Park and the Ilitch family’s other attractions near the Fox Theatre area.

Both the Tigers and the Ilitch family have referred all questions to the city. The city and the Tigers say the Ilitch family has no say in what happens to Tiger Stadium. Still, there is no denying that Ilitch family is getting maintenance money as the stadium rots away. Earlier this year, the Ilitch family reduced its annual maintenance fee from $400,000 to $200,000 – the same lower fee proposed by others.

The rest of the investigation article can be found here:
http://www.wxyz.com/wxyz/ys_investigations/article/0,2132,WXYZ_15949_3907894,00.html

ondafarm
01-30-2006, 02:39 PM
I think it must be Flubs fans who want the place not torn down. Tiger Stadium is the only park where the Flubs have ever won the World Series, obviously beating the Tigers both times in 1907 and 1908, the final game of 1908 drew a paltry 6,210 fans.

Fenway
01-30-2006, 02:48 PM
I think it must be Flubs fans who want the place not torn down. Tiger Stadium is the only park where the Flubs have ever won the World Series, obviously beating the Tigers both times in 1907 and 1908, the final game of 1908 drew a paltry 6,210 fans.

Tiger Stadium didn't open until 1912

ondafarm
01-30-2006, 04:05 PM
Tiger Stadium didn't open until 1912

The current incarnation didn't open until 1912. The Detroit Tigers played on the same site, but the winter of 1911-1912 saw them tear down the previous arrangements and erect Tiger Stadium. Same site, same team, different stands.

dcb56
01-30-2006, 04:27 PM
The current incarnation didn't open until 1912. The Detroit Tigers played on the same site, but the winter of 1911-1912 saw them tear down the previous arrangements and erect Tiger Stadium. Same site, same team, different stands.

True, but the Cubs didn't have much luck in the final version of Tiger Stadium on that site losing both the 1935 and 1945 World Series, the latter being when all this billy goat nonsense started, and would've gotten trounced again in '84 had they not choked against the Padres first. Tiger Stadium wasn't kind to the Cubs during their appearances in Fall Classic, but then again neither was Yankee, Shibe, Old Comiskey, Fenway, or Wrigley. :tongue:

Huisj
01-30-2006, 04:52 PM
Another good one is:

www.forgottendetroit.com (http://www.forgottendetroit.com)

I've only been there once (in 2003, saw the Sox and Jon Garland beat the Tigers). I found Detroit completely fascinating! I could have spent the entire Labor Day weekend just driving around looking at the surreal empty neighborhoods and desolate downtown areas. Sure, its nice near Comerica Park (its in the theatre district), but just a few blocks away are decaying abandoned buildings.

Was that the game later in the summer when Thomas had been on fire hitting lots of homers, and when he came up to bat, he hammerred a bunch of balls foul before finally hitting a rocket homer out to left? If it was, I was there too. Fun game, and lots of Sox fans there too.

C-Dawg
01-30-2006, 07:39 PM
Was that the game later in the summer when Thomas had been on fire hitting lots of homers, and when he came up to bat, he hammerred a bunch of balls foul before finally hitting a rocket homer out to left? If it was, I was there too. Fun game, and lots of Sox fans there too.

Yup, it was Labor Day weekend, and the very next series after the Neal Cotts game in New York. You're right about all the Sox fans there - Detroit was really awful that year and I bet we had more Sox fans there than Tiger fans.

I thought it was funny when the Detroit announcer at Comerica was reading the starting lineups, and he called the Tiger's Carlos Pena as "Carlos Lee". I guess even he was more interested in the Sox than the Tigers.

JohnBasedowYoda
01-31-2006, 07:55 PM
I was visiting some friends in suburban Detroit in aught-four and they told me that the city or whoever owns Tiger Stadium does not have the funds to take it down.

Didn't have time to read all the posts on this thread but I heard a weird rumor that some developer wanted to convert it into a high priced condo with a park in the middle.

SaltyPretzel
01-31-2006, 08:32 PM

I believe that the field was shifted after they tore down the original park. I think that home plate was where the right field corner is now.

kraut83
02-02-2006, 09:46 AM
Short article in today's Free Press: Link (http://http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006602020533) Check out the photo gallery link inside. Pretty depressing stuff. :(:

Fenway
02-02-2006, 10:03 AM
Short article in today's Free Press: Link (http://http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006602020533) Check out the photo gallery link inside. Pretty depressing stuff. :(:

link above has an extra http in it

:whiner:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006602020533

Baby Fisk
02-02-2006, 10:37 AM
They need to put that building out of its misery. That is depressing stuff.

PKalltheway
02-02-2006, 03:31 PM
At one point, I actually thought it probably wouldn't cost too much to renovate it. Now after looking at those pictures...it's time for Tiger Stadium to go. It isn't even worth having events in there anymore.:(:

Fenway
02-02-2006, 03:34 PM

What did Toronto do with the Jays former home Seagull (Exhibition) Stadium?

PKalltheway
02-02-2006, 03:40 PM
I heard they tore it down in the late 1990's.

Baby Fisk
02-02-2006, 03:41 PM
Torn down about 5 years ago. There are now plans to build a new stadium there for a soccer team. That's right, they tore down a stadium and will replace it with... a stadium. :rolleyes:

PKalltheway
02-02-2006, 03:44 PM
Torn down about 5 years ago. There are now plans to build a new stadium there for a soccer team. That's right, they tore down a stadium and will replace it with... a stadium. :rolleyes:
Wasn't the shape of the stadium already suited for football and soccer?

Baby Fisk
02-02-2006, 03:48 PM
Wasn't the shape of the stadium already suited for football and soccer?
Yup. It was a big stadium.

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/al/torjays/exhibitionstadium.jpg

Max Power
02-02-2006, 04:37 PM

I'm suprised they didn't/haven't sold the seats.

Huisj
02-02-2006, 05:24 PM
I'm suprised they didn't/haven't sold the seats.

They didnt' sell because there weren't plans for tearing it down. For whatever reason, they've always held on to this little tiny bit of hope that they'll use it for something again . . . and judging by those pictures, that ain't going to happen at all.

Fenway
02-02-2006, 05:31 PM

that will make the seagulls happy :tongue:

It was funny watching them one or two would fly around the stadium early and by the 7th inning there would be a flock of them looking for food.

I guess the "OK Blue Jays Let's Play Ball" was their cue :smile:

downstairs
02-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Detroit is the sorriest excuse for a metropolis in the whole country. Should anybody be surprised that Tiger Stadium is left to rot?

You're tellin' me.

I'd be willing to bet the actual property is not worth as much as it would cost to demolish it. I'd bet the property owners would actually have to pay someone out to take the property.

Fenway
02-02-2006, 06:44 PM
You're tellin' me.

I'd be willing to bet the actual property is not worth as much as it would cost to demolish it. I'd bet the property owners would actually have to pay someone out to take the property.

Had a little time this afternoon and we drove out to where the old Olympia Stadium was and as bleak as downtown is you go a mile or two out and it looks like we tested atomic bombs in Detroit :o:

Viva Medias B's
02-02-2006, 11:23 PM
Compared to other baseball stadia that were left fallow for several years, Tiger Stadium isn't in all that bad a shape. For example, after the Phillies left Shibe Park for the Vet, Shibe stood for several years and even partially burned down a few years before it was demolished. Ebbetts Field also stood for several years after the Dodgers moved to Los Angeles as did Griffith Stadium in Washington, Memorial Stadium in Baltimore, and several others.

dcb56
02-03-2006, 12:26 AM
Compared to other baseball stadia that were left fallow for several years, Tiger Stadium isn't in all that bad a shape. For example, after the Phillies left Shibe Park for the Vet, Shibe stood for several years and even partially burned down a few years before it was demolished. Ebbetts Field also stood for several years after the Dodgers moved to Los Angeles as did Griffith Stadium in Washington, Memorial Stadium in Baltimore, and several others.

Crosley Field in Cincinnati was used as an impound lot after the Reds left:
http://www.crosley-field.com/images/autolot2.jpg

Huisj
02-03-2006, 12:43 AM
Had a little time this afternoon and we drove out to where the old Olympia Stadium was and as bleak as downtown is you go a mile or two out and it looks like we tested atomic bombs in Detroit :o:

Funny you mention atomic bomb testing . . . see the third paragraph of this article about Olympia. (http://hockey.ballparks.com/NHL/DetroitRedWings/oldindex.htm)

3rdgensoxfan
02-03-2006, 09:43 AM
I remember seeing Roger Clemens pitch there for the Red Sox.. I think that was back in 1994 or somewhere around there. I went with my Grandpa and Dad.

Its probably best to tear it down now since the area is not economically viable. However, I think it would be cool, as part of a redevelopment plan, to turn it into a museum. Set up a major exhibit to the Negro Leagues. Bring in rotating exhibits from Cooperstown or something like that. I'd love to get to Cooperstown someday but that's not going to be happening in the near future. Detroit is centrally located for many more people.

All this said, I'll bet it is torn down.

ondafarm
02-03-2006, 01:18 PM
Crosley Field in Cincinnati was used as an impound lot after the Reds left:
http://www.crosley-field.com/images/autolot2.jpg

There's a Buick at shortstop!!!!

ondafarm
02-03-2006, 01:27 PM

First, thank you for using the proper plural of stadium.

Second, according to Wikepedia, the home park of the last Flubs World Series Championship team is now U of I's Medical Center. They tore down the ballpark to build a hospital.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Side_Grounds

C-Dawg
02-03-2006, 02:33 PM
However, I think it would be cool, as part of a redevelopment plan, to turn it into a museum. Set up a major exhibit to the Negro Leagues. Bring in rotating exhibits from Cooperstown or something like that.

Sadly redevelopment would be a gamble at best. Tiger Stadium is right at the edge of some of Detroit's "urban prairies" - entire city blocks where all the building's have been torn down, with nothing but weeds to replace them. There's really nothing else to attract visitors to that area. It would have to be a really good museum to draw many visitors. If it was downtown - maybe. But at its present location, I say not likely.

Fenway
02-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Sadly redevelopment would be a gamble at best. Tiger Stadium is right at the edge of some of Detroit's "urban prairies" - entire city blocks where all the building's have been torn down, with nothing but weeds to replace them. There's really nothing else to attract visitors to that area. It would have to be a really good museum to draw many visitors. If it was downtown - maybe. But at its present location, I say not likely.

a couple of blocks from Tiger Stadium was the Michigan Central Railroad Station which rivaled Union Station. Like everything else in Detroit it was just thrown away

http://www.uwm.edu/People/lquinn/urbanphoto.htm

http://detroityes.com/downtown/53mcfrontdoor.jpg (http://detroityes.com/downtown/54mcfull.htm)
http://www.ferestenphoto.com/1930s.jpghttp://static.flickr.com/9/12371730_f5d0e9ec33_m.jpg

mccoydp
02-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Yup. It was a big stadium.

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/al/torjays/exhibitionstadium.jpg
Off topic, but...

The old WWF held a wrestling cards there a couple of times, with the most notable being "The Big Event" in 1986, where Hulk Hogan fought Paul Orndorff...they teased an Orndorff title win that night before DQing him due to Bobby Heenan's interference. They drew a monster crowd that night; around 65,000 IIRC.

C-Dawg
02-03-2006, 04:58 PM
a couple of blocks from Tiger Stadium was the Michigan Central Railroad Station which rivaled Union Station. Like everything else in Detroit it was just thrown away

Well, maybe more like a couple miles away - but yeah, the MC station is a really surreal place! Its 18 stories tall, and can be seen from very far off since several of the city's expressways have clear views of it from a distance. Really spooky looking at twilight, like a big dark tower jutting up from the neighborhood. I don't think there's a single window remaining unbroken in it.

Fenway
02-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Well, maybe more like a couple miles away - but yeah, the MC station is a really surreal place!

Much closer.

This photo was taken from the roof of the Michigan Central station and you can see Tiger Stadium off on the left
http://www.insidesouthwest.com/pictures/trainsta19.jpg
This view looks NE toward downtown Detroit from the top of Michigan Central Depot. Just to the north is W. Michigan Ave. From here we see the skyline and even a small piece of Tiger Stadium on the left side of the picture toward the middle.

When talking to the locals they say they themselves wonder which city will be in better shape 10 years fron now, New Orleans or Detroit.

You can see by the quality of the buildings how vibrant this city once was.

MarkM2112
02-07-2006, 10:49 PM
I have just checked out the Ruins of Detroit site, and it just saddens me... Being a former architectural student, it just broke my heart to see all of those beautiful buildings in a once vibrant city to just go to waste like that. What origionally attracted my attention to this topic was that I was watching a night game on TV that was taking place at Comerica Park, (I think that it was the All Star Game) and I noticed that beyond the GM sign, it was all dark, and not knowing the actual location of the stadium, I commented to myself that they must have built it along the river/lakefront. When I saw the Sox play there to clinch their division, (a day game) I finally came to the realization that there were BUILDINGS back there! HIGH-RISE BUILDINGS! And they were TOTALLY DARK! Being from Chicago, I don't think I ever saw that a skyscraper had ALL of its lights OFF! That would mean that the building was TOTALLY EMPTY! I was just floored by this!

VivaOzzie
02-07-2006, 11:12 PM
I have just checked out the Ruins of Detroit site, and it just saddens me... Being a former architectural student, it just broke my heart to see all of those beautiful buildings in a once vibrant city to just go to waste like that. What origionally attracted my attention to this topic was that I was watching a night game on TV that was taking place at Comerica Park, (I think that it was the All Star Game) and I noticed that beyond the GM sign, it was all dark, and not knowing the actual location of the stadium, I commented to myself that they must have built it along the river/lakefront. When I saw the Sox play there to clinch their division, (a day game) I finally came to the realization that there were BUILDINGS back there! HIGH-RISE BUILDINGS! And they were TOTALLY DARK! Being from Chicago, I don't think I ever saw that a skyscraper had ALL of its lights OFF! That would mean that the building was TOTALLY EMPTY! I was just floored by this!

I was working in downtown Detroit a couple weeks before the Super Bowl. We were working on a job that was filling in a massive hole left by the demolition of the historic Statler Hilton.

Anyway, this was right in the heart of Detroit, and they were frantically trying to get the area cleaned up for the Super Bowl. I noticed that on a lot of the existing big buildings, they were boarding up most of the windows and painting the boards grey. I think one of the buildings was actually the one that they used as a giant projection screen during the Super Bowl.

I have to give them credit, the city looked alright on TV during the Super Bowl. But it was basically a quick make-up job and I would hate to see how it looks now, and how the clean up is going (if they even bother). We were (half)joking during the game that they should just get bulldozers and push all of the trash (including most of the city) into the river.

Fenway
02-07-2006, 11:28 PM
I have just checked out the Ruins of Detroit site, and it just saddens me... Being a former architectural student, it just broke my heart to see all of those beautiful buildings in a once vibrant city to just go to waste like that.

It is no longer there ( in fact it was where Ford Field is now ) but Hudson's was the grandest department store I was even in and that includes Macy's in NY. They must have spent a fortune building it.

All the Great Lake cities ( except Chicago ) really fell apart but some are coming back ( Cleveland )

I don't know if Detroit ever can.

gowhitesox
02-08-2006, 01:40 AM
It is no longer there ( in fact it was where Ford Field is now ) but Hudson's was the grandest department store I was even in and that includes Macy's in NY. They must have spent a fortune building it.

All the Great Lake cities ( except Chicago ) really fell apart but some are coming back ( Cleveland )

I don't know if Detroit ever can.

Being a native of Michigan, I also doubt very much if Detroit will ever comeback. Sad to see old Tiger Stadium just wasting away.