PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy officially to the 'pen

chaotic8512
01-26-2006, 04:58 PM
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/261sd2.htm

I'm a little surprised... I really thought that he'd be starting... in AAA. Whew, thank goodness we've got a smart organization. It's just a matter of time until he gets his spot in the rotation and starts pulling down 20-win seasons.

No teal. No deep pink. Just BMac.

doublem23
01-26-2006, 05:01 PM
:jon

Took the same route and turned out all right. I know McCarthy looked good in Spring last year, but there's no need to rush a 22-year-old kid into the rotation when we have 5 MLB-quality workhorses under contract.

Baby Fisk
01-26-2006, 05:02 PM
He'll be fine. He proved last season that he was capable of delivering whenever he got the nod. Can't go wrong with those stripey shoes either.

SOXintheBURGH
01-26-2006, 05:02 PM
So even if one of our starters has an off day.. McCarthy ensures no further damage.

Minimum 8-peat. :bandance:

thomas35forever
01-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Minimum 8-peat. :bandance:

Woah. One could only dream. If that happens, everyone will forget about the Yankees and start hating us.:cool:

MarySwiss
01-26-2006, 05:24 PM
Woah. One could only dream. If that happens, everyone will forget about the Yankees and start hating us.:cool:

Your point?

LuvSox
01-26-2006, 05:27 PM

Hate me! :D:

DumpJerry
01-26-2006, 05:32 PM
Buehrle started in the Bullpen. Now look at him.:D:

Baby Fisk
01-26-2006, 05:34 PM
Who was that poster from about a year ago who went wild after spring training when McCarthy was sent back down? I just remembered that -- several of us tried to reason with the poster but they were incensed by the move!

ondafarm
01-26-2006, 05:44 PM
Last year BMac needed the time in AAA. He desperately needed to work on changing speeds and although I don't doubt he could sharpen a few things up, there is absolutely no point in having a 20 game winner in AAA-ball.

IlliniSox4Life
01-26-2006, 06:48 PM
This is the right move. For now. I'm sure he'll get at least a couple of starts this year. It's a long season, and it's always good to have some young blood hungry and waiting to step in.

Ol' No. 2
01-26-2006, 06:55 PM
Last year BMac needed the time in AAA. He desperately needed to work on changing speeds and although I don't doubt he could sharpen a few things up, there is absolutely no point in having a 20 game winner in AAA-ball. There's no point in having a 20 game winner in the bullpen, either.

SoxSideIrish
01-26-2006, 07:11 PM
There's no point in having a 20 game winner in the bullpen, either.

While I don't doubt his POTENTIAL, he is not going to be a 20-game winner this year...starter or not. So it doesn't hurt to have someone with 20 win potential throwin' long relief outta the pen. He gets to know the league a little better (better than he would in AAA) and gets the opportunity for spot starts. I think this will work out to his (and our) advantage.

Plus, he's a good insurance policy for when we trade Garland and Contreras for people we don't need. Then all we have to do is look for a 5th starter.

SoxFan76
01-26-2006, 07:15 PM
It worked for Contreras, Buehrle, and Garland. He's paying his dues.

...he also happes to play for a team that is absolutely STACKED with starting pitching.

MadetoOrta
01-26-2006, 07:23 PM
Every GM that speaks to KW laughs when he says "MCCarthy's going to the bullpen." This press release is a nice little piece of PR/leverage. Basically, KW's saying "You want Contreras, you better come correct or don't call at all. I'll send McCarthy to the bullpen all year." I'm sure most GMs think KW's bluffing and would be willing to unload the Bronze Titan for less than market value. This press release [why even issue it?] is a smooth/sly way of ratcheting up the price for Contreras. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Sargeant79
01-26-2006, 07:38 PM
First: We knew this was coming as long as Contreras is still on the Sox.

Second: The best part about this is that it makes bad days by the starters not quite as bad. Ozzie doesn't have to be patient with a starter who doesn't have his best stuff that day. Say Vazquez is getting shelled in the third inning...McCarthy can come in and most times throw 3+ innings just as good as any starter on our staff would have. McCarthy in the bullpen stops any bleeding a little sooner.

DumpJerry
01-26-2006, 10:29 PM
First: We knew this was coming as long as Contreras is still on the Sox.

Second: The best part about this is that it makes bad days by the starters not quite as bad. Ozzie doesn't have to be patient with a starter who doesn't have his best stuff that day. Say Vazquez is getting shelled in the third inning...McCarthy can come in and most times throw 3+ innings just as good as any starter on our staff would have. McCarthy in the bullpen stops any bleeding a little sooner.
You mean like the day el Duque gave three dingers in the First to the Angels and McCarthy came out of the 'Pen to shut the Halos down?

IlliniSox4Life
01-26-2006, 10:36 PM
Every GM that speaks to KW laughs when he says "MCCarthy's going to the bullpen." This press release is a nice little piece of PR/leverage. Basically, KW's saying "You want Contreras, you better come correct or don't call at all. I'll send McCarthy to the bullpen all year." I'm sure most GMs think KW's bluffing and would be willing to unload the Bronze Titan for less than market value. This press release [why even issue it?] is a smooth/sly way of ratcheting up the price for Contreras. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Why would they think Kenny is bluffing about this? He's the one that traded for Vasquez, he's the one who wanted the 6th starter. I seriously doubt that any GM thinks Kenny is willing to trade Contreras for less than market value after Kenny improved both his offense and pitching this off season.

slavko
01-27-2006, 12:06 AM

My kind of thinking. Worst outcome? Mac in the pen.

Jerome
01-27-2006, 12:15 AM
Vizcaino and Marte ate up a lot of innings in the bullpen last year. BMac can more than replace them. Plus Hermanson and Politte had career years (or at least VERY good years for them) which they might not replicate. BMac in the bullpen is a great luxury to have, because he is IMO one of the best pitchers on our team, starter or not. He would be starting on pretty much any other team in baseball.

Jenks
Hermanson
Cotts
Politte
BMac
Bajaneru (SP)

Looks like a good enough bullpen to me.

Jenks4Pres
01-27-2006, 12:19 AM
One of our pitchers is bound to go down with an injury.......BMAC will step in and take care of business if so

elrod
01-27-2006, 01:02 AM
Is Cotts still the only lefty? Not that it's a big deal. The Angels had a great bullpen with no lefties, but I wonder who will fit in in the last spot. Baj is a righty, right?

TheOldRoman
01-27-2006, 01:25 AM
Why would they think Kenny is bluffing about this? He's the one that traded for Vasquez, he's the one who wanted the 6th starter. I seriously doubt that any GM thinks Kenny is willing to trade Contreras for less than market value after Kenny improved both his offense and pitching this off season.
Kenny traded for Vazquez because he didn't want to go into next offseason with 2/5 of his starting roation being free agents. Vazquez gave him 4 starters locked up through 07. Most importantly, getting Javier gave Kenny leverage. He then told Garland and Contreras in different words "whoever signs and extension stays, the other one goes". Garland caved first and signed the 3 year deal. Unless Jose signs a two year extension for under market value, he will be traded. It is only a matter of finding the right deal.

Ol' No. 2
01-27-2006, 09:38 AM
Kenny traded for Vazquez because he didn't want to go into next offseason with 2/5 of his starting roation being free agents. Vazquez gave him 4 starters locked up through 07. Most importantly, getting Javier gave Kenny leverage. He then told Garland and Contreras in different words "whoever signs and extension stays, the other one goes". Garland caved first and signed the 3 year deal. Unless Jose signs a two year extension for under market value, he will be traded. It is only a matter of finding the right deal.Why is this so hard for people to understand?

nlentz88
01-27-2006, 11:11 AM
Kenny traded for Vazquez because he didn't want to go into next offseason with 2/5 of his starting roation being free agents. Vazquez gave him 4 starters locked up through 07. Most importantly, getting Javier gave Kenny leverage. He then told Garland and Contreras in different words "whoever signs and extension stays, the other one goes". Garland caved first and signed the 3 year deal. Unless Jose signs a two year extension for under market value, he will be traded. It is only a matter of finding the right deal.

Right on.

Kenny has always been an aggressive GM. After seeing his work this offseason, I'll say he's an aggressive shrewd GM.

Rounding_Third
01-27-2006, 11:26 AM
Inning eaters:

Buehrle - 1200 last 5 years
Garcia - 1000 last 5 years
Garland - 825 last 4 years
Vasquez - 1300 last 6 years
Contreras - 200 last year for 1st time in MLB

Buehrle complained of a sore/tired arm in November which may have played into his decision to drop out of WBC. Garcia & Vasquez will pitch in WBC. I believe McCarthy will get plenty of chances to start this year if, for no other reason but to give a guy 10 days rest once in a while. We'll need all 6 starters, especially down the stretch run when arms are getting tired. There's a lot of wear on these guys. Nice to have insurance if anything happens. Hats off to KW, Oz, and Coop for recognizing this too. Every team wants a strong swing man in the pen. We got away without one last year because of the strong rotation. What a great way to ease a 22 year old kid onto an MLB staff!

rmusacch
01-27-2006, 12:40 PM
:jon

Took the same route and turned out all right. I know McCarthy looked good in Spring last year, but there's no need to rush a 22-year-old kid into the rotation when we have 5 MLB-quality workhorses under contract.

So did :burly. He appeared in 28 games, 3 starts in 2000 and then has started ever since.

sullythered
01-27-2006, 12:52 PM
Inning eaters:

Buehrle - 1200 last 5 years
Garcia - 1000 last 5 years
Garland - 825 last 4 years
Vasquez - 1300 last 6 years
Contreras - 200 last year for 1st time in MLB

Wow, I already knew what he is, but it's really impressive to see what a horse Buehrls really is in numbers form. The guy's a machine. Despite all these gargantuan durability numbers, one of these guys will probably go down, at least for a little while, at some point this season. If that happens, BMac is a beautiful thing to have in the reserve. I hope we don't move Contreras before the season starts. You can never have enough outstanding pitching.

Ol' No. 2
01-27-2006, 12:57 PM
So did :burly. He appeared in 28 games, 3 starts in 2000 and then has started ever since.Wow. Talk about an apples and oranges comparison. Buehrle broke in in 2000 after never pitching above AA (and that for only 16 starts). Garland was only 20 and also very inexperienced. No comparison at all to McCarthy.

Chicken Dinner
01-27-2006, 01:00 PM

Some in spanish and some in english.

Hitmen77
01-27-2006, 02:24 PM
So did :burly. He appeared in 28 games, 3 starts in 2000 and then has started ever since.

Until he was demoted to the bullpen for Game 3 against Houston. :tongue: