PDA

View Full Version : The A's Logo?

Rudy Law
01-26-2006, 11:53 AM
Does anyone know why the A's have an elephant on their logo?...It doesn't really make any sense....I'm assuming it has to do with their history.....Thanks!

Baby Fisk
01-26-2006, 11:58 AM
A's history linky (http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/oak/history/uniforms_logos.jsp)

Fenway
01-26-2006, 11:59 AM
In 1901 Connie Mack and his Philadelphia Athletics became one of the original founders of the American League. In 1902 New York Giants Manager John McGraw dismissed the A's with contempt, by calling them "The White Elephants." He meant to imply that Mack shouldn't be allowed to spend money without supervision. Well, Connie Mack took up the gauntlet and defiantly adopted the White Elephant as the team insignia. That year, 1902, the A's won the American League pennant -- much to the unvoiced chagrin of John McGraw.

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/oak/history/uniforms_logos.jsp

Brian26
01-26-2006, 12:00 PM
I believe it goes way back to the Connie Mack days when they were the Philadelphia A's. Someone commented that they played or ran like a bunch of elephants, and the team unofficially took that as their mascot. The elephant later was worn on their uniforms. It went away in the 70's when Charley Finley went with the "Swingin' A's" logo, but they brought it back with the new uniforms in 1987.

34 Inch Stick
01-26-2006, 12:02 PM
IIRC they were in first place at some point in a season and some other non believing manager called their success a white elephant (which I believe is a phrase to describe an illusory thing or circumstances). It became a rallying cry to a championship on the same line as the Winning Ugly.

A White Elephant is something so costly to maintain that it is unable to return a profit. That seems to shoot holes in my post.

Rudy Law
01-26-2006, 02:46 PM
In 1901 Connie Mack and his Philadelphia Athletics became one of the original founders of the American League. In 1902 New York Giants Manager John McGraw dismissed the A's with contempt, by calling them "The White Elephants." He meant to imply that Mack shouldn't be allowed to spend money without supervision. Well, Connie Mack took up the gauntlet and defiantly adopted the White Elephant as the team insignia. That year, 1902, the A's won the American League pennant -- much to the unvoiced chagrin of John McGraw.

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/oak/history/uniforms_logos.jsp

Thanks for the help!.....I thought it was something like that

Clembasbal
01-26-2006, 04:03 PM
I think the better question here is how come I never heard of Stomper? He looks like he rocks! Oh Yeah!

Lip Man 1
01-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Make that STAMPY...

Bart wins first prize in a wacky radio contest and becomes the proud owner of a giant elephant he names Stampy. Stampy, as you might imagine, turns out to be quite a handful for the Simpson family, but Bart loves his new pet more than anything. Homer, on the other hand, finds Stampy's upkeep too expensive and sells the elephant to an ivory dealer. Bart intervenes and sets Stampy free to go on a destructive rampage through Springfield. Eventually, Stampy finds a nice home at an animal refuge.

Lip