PDA

View Full Version : Minor League Contract for Sammy Sosa Possible

Deuce
01-26-2006, 08:35 AM
I just heard on a sports station out here in St. Louis that the Nationals are on the verge of offering Sammy Sosa a minor league contract. Personally, I cannot see that happening. However, since it wasn't said as a joke, I thought I would post it in case it had some validity.

Deuce

cheeses_h_rice
01-26-2006, 09:14 AM
Minor league?

Ah, the sweet stench of karma...

:gulp:

TDog
01-26-2006, 09:46 AM
I would love to ask Cubs fans what Chad Bentz and Sammy Sosa have in common.

Hitmen77
01-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Please note that Frank Thomas, with all his serious injuries over the past few years, generated more interest from teams than Scammy Sosa. Very interesting that no one really wants him that badly.

Where are all those Cub fans now who for years crowed about how great Sammy was and only showed up to games preferring to see a Sammy HR over a Cubs win?

I still marvel at all that has happened regarding the fortunes of the Chicago baseball teams since the time where the Cubs were on up 3-1 in the 2003 NLCS. Their ensuing historic choke, their failure to make the playoffs in '04 despite being pre-ordained by the media to win 100 game, the revelation that their icon Sammy Sosa was a total fraud (cork, steroids, skipping out on the team), and then the Sox going wire-to-wire to win the '05 World Series and capture the hearts and minds of Chicago.:gulp: Wow, sweet justice for us Sox fans for putting up with years of being berated by Cub fans.

Ol' No. 2
01-26-2006, 10:41 AM
The Nats OF situation is truly frightening. It's bad enough they have Jose Guillen in LF. They have Soriano pencilled into CF, but he's still refusing to play the OF. Now they're considering Scammy Sosa in RF. Whatever they're paying Frank Robinson, it's not enough.

slavko
01-26-2006, 11:44 AM
The Nats OF situation is truly frightening. It's bad enough they have Jose Guillen in LF. They have Soriano pencilled into CF, but he's still refusing to play the OF. Now they're considering Scammy Sosa in RF. Whatever they're paying Frank Robinson, it's not enough.

Frank is the man to explain to Sammy his role on a team, something he never had with the Cubs. If anyone can teach him some humility, even this late in his career, Frank is the man. There probably is no gas left in Sammy's tank, though.

I feel for you, Frank.

jackbrohamer
01-26-2006, 12:08 PM
If Frank Robinson activated himself and played part time, I bet he'd put up better numbers than Shammy will this year.

The Critic
01-26-2006, 12:40 PM
I still marvel at all that has happened regarding the fortunes of the Chicago baseball teams since the time where the Cubs were on up 3-1 in the 2003 NLCS. Their ensuing historic choke, their failure to make the playoffs in '04 despite being pre-ordained by the media to win 100 game, the revelation that their icon Sammy Sosa was a total fraud (cork, steroids, skipping out on the team), and then the Sox going wire-to-wire to win the '05 World Series and capture the hearts and minds of Chicago.:gulp: Wow, sweet justice for us Sox fans for putting up with years of being berated by Cub fans.

This is still mind-boggling ( and beautiful ) to think about.
It was only 2 seasons ago that the Cubs were oh-so-close. I really thought there was no way they could lose that series, at least until they lost Game 6 the way they did. Once that happened, I knew they would lose Game 7.
The following year's amazing late-season El Foldo Cubbo was equally confounding, seeing how they had something of a patsy schedule the last two weeks of the season and still managed to blow the Wild Card. The See-Ya Sosa Spectacular to end the season provided both comic relief and a peek into the changing face of the Cub fan. Hero minus Homers = Hated. That never happened at The Shrine before....
Then you have the Cubbie freefall of 2005 while the White Sox were busy making our dreams come true, and it is perhaps the wildest 3-year swing in Chicago sports history.

...but of course, the Cubs still drew more.....:redneck

pmck003
01-26-2006, 01:01 PM
Frank is the man to explain to Sammy his role on a team, something he never had with the Cubs. If anyone can teach him some humility, even this late in his career, Frank is the man. There probably is no gas left in Sammy's tank, though.

I feel for you, Frank.

No gas or no lingering steroid effects from around 2 years ago? The only real gas sosa ever had came out his seat cushion.

SOXPHILE
01-26-2006, 01:58 PM
It was only 2 seasons ago that the Cubs were oh-so-close. I really thought there was no way they could lose that series, at least until they lost Game 6 the way they did. Once that happened, I knew they would lose Game 7.
The following year's amazing late-season El Foldo Cubbo was equally confounding, seeing how they had something of a patsy schedule the last two weeks of the season and still managed to blow the Wild Card. The See-Ya Sosa Spectacular to end the season provided both comic relief and a peek into the changing face of the Cub fan. Hero minus Homers = Hated. That never happened at The Shrine before....
Then you have the Cubbie freefall of 2005 while the White Sox were busy making our dreams come true, and it is perhaps the wildest 3-year swing in Chicago sports history.

I've been thinking the exact same thing for the last 3 months. It is absolutely amazing how quickly and drastically the fortunes have changed. Think about it. Fall of 2003 was a very low point for us Sox fans. They had just finished the season only a little over .500 at 83-79, obviously missing the playoffs. The manager had been fired, beginning a search that ended with the hiring of Ozzie, which I freely admit, I really wasn't too crazy about. (Never have I eaten crow that tasted so good) They seemed like a rudderless ship, wallowing in mediocrity. To make matters worse, it seemed the whole world was Cub blue crazy. When they went up 3-1 in the NLCS, I was ready to stow away on the next Mars rover mission. Them eventually losing that series brought extreme, yet brief glee and relief, for all through that winter and into the following season, everybody was already anointing them world champs. Now look what's happened. Our team..OUR TEAM..The Chicago White Sox, WON THE WORLD SERIES !!! Now compare and contrast. WE: Continue to revel in the fact that the White Sox won the World Series, and looking ahead to 2006, see a ball club that should contend again with what some would say is an even stronger team. Whatever happens, spring, summer and hopefully fall, will be a fun, exciting time for the Sox and us Sox fans. They: Come off a 79-83 season, and stare in stunned jealousy, disbelief, and anger at what we got to experience. The team scrambles to try and put a better team on the field, and comes up with....Juan Pierre and Jacque Jones. The fans are restless, upset, embarrassed, and glum. Wrigley will still Marte Gras for every game, filled with the blissfully ignorant. But something will be a little different. The smug arrogance that had developed there the last few years will be gone, or at least toned down several notches.
</IMG>

Hangar18
01-27-2006, 11:37 AM
The following year's amazing late-season El Foldo Cubbo was equally confounding, seeing how they had something of a patsy schedule the last two weeks of the season and still managed to blow the Wild Card.

It is mind-boggling and fun to think of. A guy I know ran out and printed up Tshirts that said 1908-2003, World Champs. hahahahahahahahahaha, he lost a mint on that one. Remember how the Media called the Cubs magical 20-7 (IIRC) record in September stuff that legends were made of? Totally ignoring the fact that the Cubs played the bogus Pirates,Reds, Expos,Brewers
and those teams all quit and were running AA teams out there down the stretch???? The Media nary mentioned the real make-up of those teams, instead focusing on the Majesty and Heroicness of the Cubs. Remember how the very next season, the Cubs September schedule was EXACTLY the same as the 03 season?