PDA

View Full Version : Where did the expression "GOING YARD" originate?

BackInBlack
01-26-2006, 08:20 AM
This is a trivia question going around the office and I need the answer ASAP. TIA.

Handicaporowski
01-26-2006, 08:30 AM
According to Factiva:

1988 Chicago Tribune citation: "A batter with power can hit a ball out of the ball yard ... he can go back, go massive or go yard."

Handicaporowski
01-26-2006, 08:31 AM
According to Wikipedia:

Baltimore, Maryland: Baltimore's Oriole Park at Camden Yards has inspired the expression "go yard" to describe hitting a home run there. "Melvin Mora went yard in the second inning off Martinez..." However, this expression is no longer unique to Camden Yards; it has become a generic term for hitting a home run.

BackInBlack
01-26-2006, 08:48 AM
Lotta theories out there:
http://p098.ezboard.com/fwordoriginsorgfrm19.showMessage?topicID=186.topic

TDog
01-26-2006, 09:23 AM
I once heard people talking about a living hockey announcer who allegedly coined the phrase, "a shot and a goal." It seemed silly that something so obvious to say could be traced to one man after no one else ever thought to phrase things that way.

When "going yard" became popular and when it was first used to describe a home run are two different things. No one can ever be certain about the latter because, unlike some unified theory of physics, it is something that could be derived independently by many sources.

Even expressions people use in every day life are a matter of great debate. In Edinburgh, Scotland, they say that "raining cats and dogs" originated when sanitary conditions were more relaxed and a hard rain washed all the dead pets through their streets. You won't hear that explanation from American sources.

An ASAP answer to your question will invite dispute.

Nellie_Fox
01-26-2006, 11:51 AM
This is a trivia question going around the office and I need the answer ASAP. TIA. http://www.partsmag.com/0507/Spotlight-Fairless-0507/Fairless-Coors-Bike.jpgGet back to work, gol-dangit!

The Racehorse
01-26-2006, 12:16 PM
I'm sure the origin of the expression is Cub related... has to be!

HotelWhiteSox
01-26-2006, 12:45 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say since baseball is considered to be played in a yard, so HR calls would be about the ball leaving the yard, and it just evolved into a verb of hitting a home run