PDA

View Full Version : Contreras to NYM???

ukigdog
01-26-2006, 08:27 AM
Rotoworld posted that Minaya from the Mets is hot after Contreras now, but they dont see a deal KW would be interested in. What kind of deal would you find acceptable from the Mets for Contreras. Personally, i agree, id rather keep contreras.

But id like to hear some ideas?

DaveIsHere
01-26-2006, 08:36 AM
Beltran + Cash :D:

Jjav829
01-26-2006, 08:42 AM
Rotoworld posted that Minaya from the Mets is hot after Contreras now, but they dont see a deal KW would be interested in. What kind of deal would you find acceptable from the Mets for Contreras. Personally, i agree, id rather keep contreras.

But id like to hear some ideas?
David Wright. Wait, that should probably be... David Wright. Maybe a combination of the two. :D:

I don't see a match between the two. There is no one on their major league roster who we could use and who they would trade. Heilman would be a nice addition if they would give him up. That's about the only realistic option and I still don't think the Mets would give him up. Ditto for Milledge.

soxinem1
01-26-2006, 09:03 AM
I can't see them trading Heilman, Wright, Beltran, or anyone on their roster for Contreras, there is no real match here. And realistically, why would they give up any of these guys? I'm sure the Mets are counting on Beltran to rebound, and the other two are a big part of their plans for 2006 and beyond.

Tekijawa
01-26-2006, 09:05 AM
Royce Ring? I always loved that guy!

Hangar18
01-26-2006, 09:05 AM
The Mets? Dont make me laugh, what a bogus organization, bogus farm team, bogus uniforms, bogus stadium.

Secretary: hahahaa, um Kenny ....hahahhaa, Ive got Omar Minaya
on the line, he says its urgent
KW: ask him what he wants .....im busy working on my speech for SoxFest
Secretary: (brief pause) He says he wants Jose Contre.......
KW: hahaahaahhaahha hahahahaahahaha ahahahah ahahahahaahahahaha

veeter
01-26-2006, 09:12 AM
Contreras is the perfect guy to use for the year, then see what happens. He could very easily help us win another championship, then be worthless the next season. I say keep everything just the way it is. And no thanks to any NYM garbage.

Tragg
01-26-2006, 09:12 AM
I had expected the Mets to get into the game for Jose. I don't know what they have to trade, however. I'll take some good young pitching.

doublem23
01-26-2006, 09:17 AM
Considering the Mets would trade Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano, I wonder what kind of offer they'd make for Contreras...

Wright, Reyes, and Beltran + cash? :rolleyes:

Mickster
01-26-2006, 09:49 AM
Wright + Millege and KW could even throw in some cash......

The Mets are a good (not great) team without a deep rotation. Contreras gives them that.

TDog
01-26-2006, 10:08 AM
The Sox won't trade any of their starting pitchers unless they are presented with a deal they wouldn't be able to pass up.

Ol' No. 2
01-26-2006, 10:17 AM
The only need the Sox have right now is for a good reliever, preferably lefty. The Mets don't have one. They have no one else they'd be willing to trade who would be an upgrade over what the Sox already have.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

infohawk
01-26-2006, 10:17 AM
KW probably has a pretty good relationship with Minaya (Colon trade), but off the top of my head I can't think of where the two teams could find a realistic match.

Hangar18
01-26-2006, 10:32 AM
The only need the Sox have right now is for a good reliever, preferably lefty. The Mets don't have one. They have no one else they'd be willing to trade who would be an upgrade over what the Sox already have.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

heh heheh

wsox3505
01-26-2006, 10:32 AM
I'd strongly consider heilman and milledge for contreras. one is a major league ready SP/bullpen help similar to mccarthy and milledge is a better OF propsect than young was. not saying i would do it, but i would strongly consider it.

Flight #24
01-26-2006, 10:35 AM
Milledge+Heilman would be a no-brainer from the Sox perspective. 2 MLB-ready, high ceiling prospects, one of which is a pitcher, leaving you with decent SP depth.

But even Minaya wouldn't do that I think. I'd bet best you'll get is one or the other. In that scenario, I'd probably take Heilman because pitching is so important, but Milledge is probably the better/surer prospect.

miker
01-26-2006, 10:52 AM
The only need the Sox have right now is for a good reliever, preferably lefty. The Mets don't have one.
John Franco finally retired?

Ol' No. 2
01-26-2006, 11:00 AM
John Franco finally retired?But Julio Franco is still on their roster.

gobears1987
01-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Beltran + Cash :D:deep pink that one, but it would be nice.

chaerulez
01-26-2006, 11:11 AM
If Wright is offered in any deal (I don't think Omar is that stupid but you never know), the Sox have to seriously consider it. Considering Crede is a Boras client, and he can be a free agent in a couple years opposed to Wright having to wait 4-5 more years... this would allow the Sox to have a fixture at 3B for a while at a bargain price. Plus as much as I like Crede, Wright is superior in almost every aspect.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-26-2006, 11:40 AM
Considering the Mets would trade Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano, I wonder what kind of offer they'd make for Contreras...

Wright, Reyes, and Beltran + cash? :rolleyes:

The Mets had a regime change and Minaya is a better GM and will build the organization over the next few years.

The idiotic Steve Phillips / Jim Duquette combine are responsible for the bonehead moves of the past: Kazmir for Zambrano, Mo Vaughn, Kaz Matsui, Roberto Alomar, et al.

Beltran should bounce back this season, Pedro was a very good signing and they have a solid young core (Wright, Reyes, Diaz, Heilman). Wagner, Delgado and Lo Duca are very good pick ups.

The moves I haven't liked are Mrs. Anna Benson signing (though it didn't cost them players), losing Petit (though Delgado is one of the top 1B -the trade made sense) and the trade with the Dodgers (Seo is a very good pitcher and I know they needed bullpen help but I think they overpayed).

I see good things for the Mets this season - the first time I could say that in a few years.

sullythered
01-26-2006, 12:08 PM
IMO, Rotoworld's only source, ever, is their writers' own collective imagination.

likeawarlord
01-26-2006, 12:30 PM
The only need the Sox have right now is for a good reliever, preferably lefty. The Mets don't have one.

well they HAVE billy wagner, technically. teams trade brand new free agent signings before they play a single game for them all the time, right?

soxinem1
01-26-2006, 12:55 PM
But Julio Franco is still on their roster.

So is Jerry Koosman!!

In all seriousness, unless Heilman is included, I don't see why we should make any deal with the Mets or anyone involving our starters.

Have we forgotten our 5th starter problem from the past, oh, 12 years or so? As much as I like McCarthy I would not be willing to make such a big gamble on our SP depth for a guy with 12 games of ML experience, ala Kip Wells, Alex Fernandez, Jack McDowell, etc. That first full year was not so great for any of these guys, McCarthy should not be counted on to make 30+ starts with no back up plan.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-26-2006, 01:03 PM
The Mets traded a starter to make room for Heilman. This rumor is has the BS rating of a Bruce Levine scoop.

CashMan
01-26-2006, 01:07 PM
Kris Benson signed with the Mets, but was traded from the Pirates to the Mets for some 3rd baseman. He was on a hot steak, was traded, sucked and was sent down. I think he was released this offseason.

wsox3505
01-26-2006, 02:03 PM
Milledge+Heilman would be a no-brainer from the Sox perspective. 2 MLB-ready, high ceiling prospects, one of which is a pitcher, leaving you with decent SP depth.

But even Minaya wouldn't do that I think. I'd bet best you'll get is one or the other. In that scenario, I'd probably take Heilman because pitching is so important, but Milledge is probably the better/surer prospect.

I agree. I think that he would be more likely to trade heilman in a deal for contreras over both him and milledge, considering the rumors i've heard.

I also think there is some truth to the rumor that minaya wants another quality SP. Whether it's contreras, i don't know.

Flight #24
01-26-2006, 02:21 PM
I agree. I think that he would be more likely to trade heilman in a deal for contreras over both him and milledge, considering the rumors i've heard.

I also think there is some truth to the rumor that minaya wants another quality SP. Whether it's contreras, i don't know.

If true, Milledge is the guy. I can't see him wanting SP depth and trading Heilman for Contreras. Much like KW will have to think long & hard about trading one of our SPs and not getting one in return.

KRS1
01-26-2006, 02:32 PM
If Wright is offered in any deal (I don't think Omar is that stupid but you never know), the Sox have to seriously consider it. Considering Crede is a Boras client, and he can be a free agent in a couple years opposed to Wright having to wait 4-5 more years... this would allow the Sox to have a fixture at 3B for a while at a bargain price. Plus as much as I like Crede, Wright is superior in almost every aspect.

The only thing I would say Wright is better at is hitting(admittedly a huge part of the game), but his defense is atrocious. Yes, he had one play they might have very well been the play of the year, but when you see the tough grounders hit to him, he barely ever makes the play. His arm is erratic, and he still has problems with the booted ball. Doesn't sound like a third baseman Ozzie would like too much. On the other hand the power he showed at such a young age(even though he K's 120 times a year) would be impossible to pass up, and he was doing that in Shea!!!!

White Sox Randy
01-26-2006, 02:40 PM
All KW has to do is be patient.

By June, there should be atleast half a dozen teams that are VERY desperate for a starting pitcher and by then the Sox may have a distinct need - injury etc.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-26-2006, 02:42 PM
I think the Rangers have a more realistic chance of picking up Contreras. But they have their focus on Roger Clemens right now. If that fails, look for talks to heat up. Contreras/Crede/Iguchi for Hank Blalock/Young? :D:

KW isn't really looking to get rid of Jose. He wouldn't mind keeping him at all. But if the right deal comes along (look 1 line up), he will pull the trigger.

ChiSoxLifer
01-26-2006, 02:54 PM
I think the Rangers have a more realistic chance of picking up Contreras. But they have their focus on Roger Clemens right now. If that fails, look for talks to heat up. Contreras/Crede/Iguchi for Hank Blalock/Young? :D:

KW isn't really looking to get rid of Jose. He wouldn't mind keeping him at all. But if the right deal comes along (look 1 line up), he will pull the trigger.

IF, and it's a big if, the White Sox trade with the Rangers, go after Young and stay away from Blalock. Hank's number are absolutely brutal on the road. Young, however, would fit in quite nicely. In the end, none of this will happen.

Jjav829
01-26-2006, 03:20 PM

If the Mets involved Wright in any deal, Kenny wouldn't have time to think about it. He'd probably die from shock right then and there.

Needless to say, David Wright isn't going anywhere.

Jjav829
01-26-2006, 03:23 PM
IMO, Rotoworld's only source, ever, is their writers' own collective imagination.

Their sources are newspaper articles or radio reports. Every report from a newspaper, or other website, has a link right under the story.

In this case they took the story from NY Post. (http://www.nypost.com/sports/mets/62295.htm)

KRS1
01-26-2006, 03:32 PM

Your dream is my nightmare. One hot pitcher to a team desperate for pitching should be enough for Young IF they are desperate enough. No way I would ever consider this trade, not on MVP05' and definitely not in real life. IF we trade Count he goes alone, JMO of course, but a hot starting pitcher can net you enough that you dont need throw in's. This is not a tough situation to be in for Kenny, he wouldnt trade for things that dont fills holes and give us increased pitching depth unless someone throws something unbelievable at us. For example, if Texas said Young for Count, KW would say, well I need pitching depth too so youll have to throw in a minor leaguer. Not b/c Young for Count is a bad deal persay, but because of the hand he holds in having the excess of great pitching and no real need to move Jose.

Flight #24
01-26-2006, 04:00 PM
FWIW, here's the key quote from the NYPost article. It also cites Minaya making the trade for Colon when with the Expos (and giving up Cliff Lee and Grady Sizemore - man was that a nice haul!).

The White Sox's needs should clarify during the season. But to obtain any top starter, the Mets very well may have to sacrifice No. 1 farmhand Lastings Milledge or combine prospects with a player such as Chicago native Cliff Floyd, who also is entering his walk year.

Hmmmm....I'm thinking maybe of a deal involving Milledge and Heilman as not as much as Lee+Sizemore, but perfect for the Sox. As for MInaya - he can just go sign another FA if it flops!

:drool:

SouthSide_HitMen
01-26-2006, 05:47 PM
FWIW, here's the key quote from the NYPost article. It also cites Minaya making the trade for Colon when with the Expos (and giving up Cliff Lee and Grady Sizemore - man was that a nice haul!).

Hmmmm....I'm thinking maybe of a deal involving Milledge and Heilman as not as much as Lee+Sizemore, but perfect for the Sox. As for MInaya - he can just go sign another FA if it flops!

:drool:

You can't blame or judge anything Minaya did in Montreal. He had a minimum payroll he wasn't allowed to add to and the team had no future so prospects didn't matter. They weren't even allowed to expand their rosters after Sept 1 when they were still in contention.

In a century + full of MLB disgraces, the way MLB treated Montreal has to rank in the top 5 or 10.

California Sox
01-26-2006, 06:35 PM
and milledge is a better OF propsect than young was

I respectfully disagree. Check out bb/k ratio.

wsox3505
01-26-2006, 08:59 PM

You're welcome to disagree. Without getting into a statistical and "tools" pissing contest, I'm just going by Baseball America's Prospect Rankings, which is pretty reliable even if you disagree with it. Although K/BB ratio is a good indicator, Young isn't even a top 3 prospect on the DBacks. He'll end up being slightly better than Mike Cameron I'm predicting, if he's lucky.

Tragg
01-26-2006, 11:39 PM
Cliff Floyd in a walk year? Just what we need.

This looks like a case of Jose being a lot more valuable to us than anyone is willing to trade. No use trading just to trade. If they don't offer the crown jewels, don't trade, because Jose helps our chances to repeat (a lot more than Cliff Floyd would).

Domeshot17
01-27-2006, 12:22 AM
and milledge is a better OF propsect than young was

Gotta also say the biggest knock on Young was he struck out a TON. I know we all loved him, but all indications were he was, as stated, a mike cameron type player. I also heard someone from baseball prospectus say he was very reminiscent of Corey Patterson in the minor leagues. The thing about prospects is no one knows. Mike Piazza and his 49th round selection was amazing, and Todd Van Poppell was a subpar middle reliever.

Mildrege and Young are similiar players, but all indications are Mildrege has a much higher ceiling.

Tragg
01-27-2006, 12:58 AM

That trade would be better if Crede and Blalock were out of it. But the last think any AL team should do is enable Texas to improve its pitching.

sullythered
01-27-2006, 01:24 PM
Their sources are newspaper articles or radio reports. Every report from a newspaper, or other website, has a link right under the story.

In this case they took the story from NY Post. (http://www.nypost.com/sports/mets/62295.htm)

I've never actually read anything off of rotoworld. I based my estimation only on the stuff that that gets referenced here. It always seems highly unlikely, and often proves out to be false. I guess that could be attributed to pulling from all kinds of sources as opposed to a few, reliable ones. My mistake, though.

Hangar18
01-27-2006, 01:34 PM

Yup, and the NY Post source? //www.whitesoxinteractive.com
so the rumor came full circle