PDA

View Full Version : Former White Sox Martinez dies at age of 40

WhiteSoxFan84
01-26-2006, 03:00 AM
I first thought it was Dave Martinez. Turns out it was Carlos...

Carlos Martinez, who played seven major-league seasons, died on Tuesday in Venezuela at age 40, his wife Evelyn said Wednesday. Martinez, an infielder for the White Sox from 1988-1993 and later for the Indians and Angels, died at his home in the coastal state of Vargas.

Linky (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060125soxmartinez,1,5941178.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

miker
01-26-2006, 10:27 AM
Wow, this is kind of a shock. He and Ivan Calderon were a couple of the more memorable players in a less-than-memorable time in Sox history and both are no longer with us. Granted, Calderon was the much more talented ball player.

Carlos was very tall with a long swing. My brother and I were taking in a game against the Red Sox and some half-drunk "expert" in front of us starts ripping Carlos every at bat saying "He'll never be good, he's too tall!"

My brother, who is very mild-mannered, but is also six-foot, six-inches tall, had to do everything he could to keep from smacking the "expert" in the back of the head!

Ah, memories...

Rest in peace, Carlos.

HITMEN OF 77
01-26-2006, 10:55 AM
I always liked Carlos. He had an amazing first year or so, then sorta faltered off. I think he as part of the trade that sent Ron Kittle to the Yankees. RIP Carlos.

miker
01-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Also being discussed in "Talking Baseball"...
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65706

Skippy
01-26-2006, 01:32 PM
Carlos was actually my favorite player along with Ivan, Melido Perez, and Greg Walker.

Anybody know of Melido's whereabouts? I was bummed when they took away his 6-inning rain out no-hitter.

Fake Chet Lemon
01-26-2006, 01:42 PM
Wow, this is kind of a shock. He and Ivan Calderon were a couple of the more memorable players .

Chris Singleton better look both ways before crossing the street.