http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-whitesoxkonerko&prov=ap&type=lgns

Man, I love this guy. :D:

SOXintheBURGH
01-25-2006, 10:38 PM
The man. :cool:
:cheers:

DenverSock
01-25-2006, 10:41 PM
You may not call him captain, he certainly doesn't need a "C" on the Uniform but he is the clubhouse leader. He proved it again.

Chisox003
01-25-2006, 10:44 PM
That's awesome :gulp:

Even more delicious crow for the FOGIDPK :wink:

JoeItalia7
01-25-2006, 10:47 PM
What makes Konerko the man is he isnt conceited. He doesnt have to say hes great becaue everyone knows it, but he wont flaunt it off. The man is awesome

itsnotrequired
01-25-2006, 10:47 PM
Doesn't the 'C' stand for Clubhouse Cancer?

I wonder how many other players out there are saying to themselves "Damn, I wish I was on the White Sox!"

:cool:

santo=dorf
01-25-2006, 10:55 PM
Man, can't Konerko keep his mouth shut? No coincidence it's the same day that Frank signs with another team.

patbooyah
01-25-2006, 10:57 PM
**** YEAH!

let the season start already!

thomas35forever
01-25-2006, 11:07 PM
What class shown by Paulie! This proves he's a team player.

DieTrying79
01-25-2006, 11:53 PM
Further reason why he's my favorite player on the team. :gulp:

doublem23
01-26-2006, 12:25 AM
:ozzie:
I pick dee ****ing captains.

NSSoxFan
01-26-2006, 12:40 AM

Love the sig, doublem.

Chisox003
01-26-2006, 01:34 AM
Man, can't Konerko keep his mouth shut? No coincidence it's the same day that Frank signs with another team.

You know, if this was the other way around and he WAS accepting the C, this thread would be over 300 responses already.

This is #13

:rolleyes:

The Dude
01-26-2006, 02:21 AM
Where's Frater when you need him!:redneck

mmmmmbeeer
01-26-2006, 07:52 AM
I'm already feeling some chemistry on this squad. Kong turning down the "C". Big Jim Thome wanting to report early with the pitchers and catchers. AJ, Widge, and Brian Anderson hanging out in the offseason. MB and Gooch refusing to play in the WBC because they want to be ready for a winning season. All kinds of signs of a solid team belief. Even though the roster changed over quite a bit, I don't believe the chemistry will miss a beat.

ChiSoxGirl
01-26-2006, 09:11 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-whitesoxkonerko&prov=ap&type=lgns

Man, I love this guy. :D:

Fantastic article! Much love to Paulie for maintaining his unselfish, "team" attitude. :cool:

And to piggyback your original article, this one (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060125sox,1,5427123.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines) is on ChicagoSports.com this morning.

MsSoxVixen22
01-26-2006, 09:18 AM
:gulp: PK for being a class act! God I luuuuvvvv this team! :bandance:

Gremlin3
01-26-2006, 10:27 AM
Yet another reason to respect Paulie.

Sxy Mofo
01-26-2006, 10:37 AM
Yea, but, but, he said that it was wrong of uribe to deke derrek lee.

Hey boys, bears season is over... it's baseball mode again.

soxfan13
01-26-2006, 10:41 AM
already was my favorite now he has sealed it for all-time:bandance:

MarySwiss
01-26-2006, 11:48 AM
He's been my favorite player for years. I've always been proud to wear my Konerko gear, and now I'm even prouder.

Way to go, Paulie! :D:

IlliniSox4Life
01-26-2006, 11:50 AM
That Krazy Konerko! Always doing what he thinks is best for the team! Krazy Konerko!

Deuce
01-26-2006, 11:58 AM
You know, if this was the other way around and he WAS accepting the C, this thread would be over 300 responses already.At least... but there would also be a ton of FOPK postings that he DID deserve it and that he SHOULD wear it, when he admits himself that he shouldn't. That seems to be the way it works around here, at times. :wink:

Anyway, I think Paulie did the right thing, and he should get a nod for it.

sullythered
01-26-2006, 12:02 PM
He deserves it as much for not wanting it as he does for his play on the field, if that makes sense.

Hitmen77
01-26-2006, 12:03 PM
Another article on the topic:
http://www.suntimes.com/output/deluca/cst-spt-deluca26.html

I love this comment:

Captains are an outdated commodity in baseball. Former Cubs manager Don Baylor made the curious move of ordaining Sammy Sosa, Mark Grace, Rick Aguilera and Kevin Tapani his captains during spring training in 2000. Sosa proudly wore the ''C'' on his uniform through the 2004 season -- though by then it was generally regarded that the ''C'' stood for CLOWN.

PicktoCLick72
01-26-2006, 01:39 PM
THis guys is worth a lot more than the $65 million we gave him.

Palehose13
01-26-2006, 02:02 PM
Excellent read. Nice to see that Paul is learning the team concept. :tongue:

Is teal really needed there? I had to give a little dig to those who are straining themselves patting themselves on the back. :wink:

maurice
01-26-2006, 05:34 PM
Very nice. Keep it up.

woodenleg
01-27-2006, 12:40 PM
I can't wait until the season starts and the cranks come out of the woodwork again.

cheeses_h_rice
01-27-2006, 01:01 PM

Doub, you misspelled "your" in your sig...

hawkjt
01-27-2006, 02:45 PM
PK just nailed it with every comment. He has the media swarming him because he gives thoughtful ,non cliched, insightful answers. I just thought the interview in the tribune was a rare case of a lengthy interview where he said everything perfectly.

he is a sober competitor who is gearing up for another run. Nice job, PK.

CPditka
01-27-2006, 03:23 PM
What a class act, we should all feel so priveleged to have such a great and classy guy as the cornerstone of this franchise. The most recognizable player on this team, his team doesnt want to be recognized. What afar cry from the cubs and their franchise player being a fraud, jerk, selfish, and roid user. Wow we truely are blessed when you compare. Go Paulie!!

WSoxFanForever
01-27-2006, 10:41 PM
PK, and the whole Sox attitude, is what makes our team so much better than the overpaid, selfish egos out East.
I LOVE PK! Let the season begin. I have a feeling...

PaleHoseGeorge
01-28-2006, 10:23 AM
This isn't Little League. Kudos to Wheels for politely declining the honor of the captain "C" on his uniform. The "captain" designation does more harm than good. You can do the most good by simply leading by example.

One of the great stupidities in sports is the silly assertion that production translates into clubhouse leadership. These are two completely different skills. You only need to look at the example of Frank Thomas to know what a joke the best player/leadership rule truly is.

Too bad the dull-witted sports mediots have never figured it out... not that they would ever bother to educate any of their readers to the facts even if they did.

RedPinStripes
01-28-2006, 11:26 AM
Thank you Paulie. Now I don't have to go on a rant about how I hate the"C"!

itsnotrequired
01-29-2006, 03:50 PM
Did anyone catch this?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060128&content_id=1302968&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

CHICAGO -- The great White Sox captain's debate officially was put to rest Saturday morning, when Paul Konerko announced he officially would wear the "C" on his No. 14 jersey in 2006.

:o:

TFLEM33
01-29-2006, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I caught it. From what I gather, it was Ozzie insisting that Paulie wear the "C." I think it makes no difference one way or the other. He is the leader of our clubhouse regardless of whether or not he wears the "C." Although, I would rather no one wear it. We are a TEAM. No individual should stand out. Oh well, it really doesn't matter a whole lot. It is just something else for us to talk about before Spring Training starts.

MarySwiss
01-29-2006, 04:00 PM
Did anyone catch this?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060128&content_id=1302968&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

:o:

Yep. Paulie clearly did not want to do it--he said so more than once--but got talked into it. I really wish we knew why Ozzie was so insistent about this. Sounds to me like Paulie just went along.

itsnotrequired
01-29-2006, 04:01 PM
Yeah, I caught it. From what I gather, it was Ozzie insisting that Paulie wear the "C." I think it makes no difference one way or the other. He is the leader of our clubhouse regardless of whether or not he wears the "C." Although, I would rather no one wear it. We are a TEAM. No individual should stand out. Oh well, it really doesn't matter a whole lot. It is just something else for us to talk about before Spring Training starts.

I'd rather he not wear it as well but like you say, it isn't the end of the world or anything.

Scottiehaswheels
01-29-2006, 04:05 PM
Big Jim Thome wanting to report early with the pitchers and catchers.

I could be wrong but I thought this was an MLB requirement with injured players coming into a new season?

Daver
01-29-2006, 04:10 PM
I could be wrong but I thought this was an MLB requirement with injured players coming into a new season?

You're wrong. It is entirely up to the teams, and in some cases, the players.

Lance Johnson always showed up when pitchers and catchers reported, to get in an extra week of structured workouts.

Scottiehaswheels
01-29-2006, 04:12 PM
You're wrong. It is entirely up to the teams, and in some cases, the players.

Lance Johnson always showed up when pitchers and catchers reported, to get in an extra week of structured workouts.

OK thanks... I must have read some article somewhere incorrectly... I was gonna say I don't remember ever hearing Big Frank or various other hurt players reporting early but then again just getting Frank to camp sometimes was difficult...

Deuce
01-30-2006, 11:55 PM

You know, if this was the other way around and he WAS accepting the C, this thread would be over 300 responses already.

This is #13

:rolleyes:
At least... but there would also be a ton of FOPK postings that he DID deserve it and that he SHOULD wear it, when he admits himself that he shouldn't. That seems to be the way it works around here, at times. :wink:

Anyway, I think Paulie did the right thing, and he should get a nod for it.Guess we were both wrong. He is wearing the "C" and it didn't result in 300 responces. I'll take my nod back as well.

Deuce

chisoxfanatic
01-31-2006, 12:07 AM
Paul Konerko has to be the most classy guy in all of baseball. I'm glad he's OUR leader. He keeps on adding to the list of reasons why he's my favorite current player, as well as keeps pushing Robin Ventura for the #1 spot on my all-time list. After a few more things like this, Ventura might be looking up at someone on my list for the first time ever!

Chisox003
01-31-2006, 12:09 AM
Guess we were both wrong. He is wearing the "C" and it didn't result in 300 responces. I'll take my nod back as well.

Deuce
Nope, wrong. Nobody knows about it yet. Wait and see, as soon as word spreads, ****'s gonna hit the fan here. Watch. :unsure:

Edit: And what is this about taking back your nod? The thing about nods is you can't take them back .... Once you throw it out there, it's gone. I swear.

Deuce
01-31-2006, 08:42 AM
Paul Konerko has to be the most classy guy in all of baseball. I'm glad he's OUR leader. He keeps on adding to the list of reasons why he's my favorite current player, as well as keeps pushing Robin Ventura for the #1 spot on my all-time list. After a few more things like this, Ventura might be looking up at someone on my list for the first time ever!Maybe the "C" stands for "classy."

I tell you, I love the FOPKs. If he doesn't take the "C," he is wonderful. If he does take the "C," he is wonderful. He does no wrong... which is wonderful as well.

Deuce

PaleHoseGeorge
01-31-2006, 08:58 AM
If the Sox are going to add a high school like "C" to the uniform, I say they go full bore and turn the whole thing over to high school. Let's stop *****footing around.

Letterman jackets for all the players with their year of graduation stitched on the pocket. A giant "B" for varsity baseball, and a smaller "B" for minor leaguers. Stripes on the leather sleeves counting up towards free agency.

The wives and girlfriends can have a cheerleader patch stitched on their jackets... and of course they can wear their man's championship ring on a chain around their neck, too.

Bridgeport H.S. ... Chicago's proud of you? Didn't think so.

:puking:

itsnotrequired
01-31-2006, 09:23 AM
If the Sox are going to add a high school like "C" to the uniform, I say they go full bore and turn the whole thing over to high school. Let's stop *****footing around.

Letterman jackets for all the players with their year of graduation stitched on the pocket. A giant "B" for varsity baseball, and a smaller "B" for minor leaguers. Stripes on the leather sleeves counting up towards free agency.

The wives and girlfriends can have a cheerleader patch stitched on their jackets... and of course they can wear their man's championship ring on a chain around their neck, too.

Bridgeport H.S. ... Chicago's proud of you? Didn't think so.

:puking:

Well, why don't you tell us how you really feel? :cool:

Deuce
01-31-2006, 10:39 AM
:worship: Pale Hose George

Deuce

PS: I wonder if the players will start putting stickers on their helmets as well? You know, a little Sox decal every time they make a big play or bring in a run. That would be so sweet.

Sox-o-matic
01-31-2006, 07:54 PM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:jNQd_xug6wdijM:img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Tildblog/thumb19_17.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Tildblog/thumb19_17.jpg&imgrefurl=http://tildblog.blogspot.com/2004_09_01_tildblog_archive.html&h=300&w=400&sz=30&tbnid=jNQd_xug6wdijM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=120&hl=en&start=7&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcaptain%2Bhook%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den %26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG)
"But I don't want to be captain. Can't you just call me Hook?"

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:63E8JVkplJYZ6M:retiredwhitesox.tripod .com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/guillen04.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://retiredwhitesox.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/guillen04.jpg&imgrefurl=http://retiredwhitesox.tripod.com/id1.html&h=182&w=140&sz=9&tbnid=63E8JVkplJYZ6M:&tbnh=96&tbnw=73&hl=en&start=3&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dozzie%2Bguillen%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3De n%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff)
"No way gaddammet, you put dat damn hat on right now! Dis is my ship an' I don't care what you tink!"

South Side Irish
02-01-2006, 02:13 PM
I think its a useless idea to name a guy captain, but I can understand where Ozzie's coming from. He's proud of PK and wants everyone who looks at the Sox to understand that THIS is our guy. There's going to be a lot of new people watching the Sox this year, and it may help people understand who exactly Paulie is. Although, it wouldn't take long without the C.

I'm glad Paul thinks its silly and doesn't like it. TBS...

Can I get a "C" put on my PK jersey? I'd love to show the man the respect he deserves. As a fan, I think I'm entitled to showing PK how I think of him (flowers haven't worked :( ), and think it would be cool to see some PK jersies with a C on them. It may look silly on the field, but from fans... it could look like a sign of respect.

DenverSock
02-01-2006, 02:19 PM
You don't need a "C:" on your shirt to be captain. Derek Jeter is official captain of the New York Yankees and wears no "C". Sometimes a guy is the "unofficial" captain of the team and needs no recognition. Sometimes he gets it anyway, whether he wants it or not.

:D::cool:

thepaulbowski
02-01-2006, 02:23 PM
You don't need a "C:" on your shirt to be captain. Derek Jeter is official captain of the New York Yankees and wears no "C". Sometimes a guy is the "unofficial" captain of the team and needs no recognition. Sometimes he gets it anyway, whether he wants it or not.

Actually Jeter is the official captian of the Yankees. IIRC, the first one since Mattingly.

DenverSock
02-01-2006, 02:26 PM
Actually Jeter is the official captian of the Yankees. IIRC, the first one since Mattingly.

Gee isn't that what I just said. Look at the post again. Please notice that I never edited it.

JoeClutch24
02-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Paulie way to show that this isn't hockey!