PDA

View Full Version : White Sox World Series shrine to be on display at Harry Caray's

cheeses_h_rice
01-25-2006, 07:29 PM
From today's Fred Mitchell (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-060123mitchell,1,2195171.column?coll=cs-home-utility) column:

Harry Caray's Restaurant, known more for its Cubs-themed photos and memorabilia, is building a special White Sox World Series display that will be unveiled at 12:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Last Wednesday, Mayor Richard Daley was at Harry Caray's for lunch. After Grant DePorter, managing partner of the restaurant, informed him of the plan for the display, the city's No. 1 Sox fan said he loved the idea and would be dining at the restaurant a lot more.

Former White Sox slugger Ron Kittle, Harry Caray's widow, Dutchie, and Faust will accept delivery of the memorabilia and dedicate the display. Harry Caray was the White Sox play-by-play announcer for 11 seasons, from 1971 to 1981.

The shrine will include the "last-out bat" used by Houston's Orlando Palmeiro in Game 4 of the World Series that gave the Sox their first championship since 1917, and Paul Konerko's grand slam ball, which fan Chris Claeys caught during Game 2. Claeys immediately placed the ball in a secured vault at MB Financial Bank. It will arrive at Harry Caray's from the bank in an armored car surrounded by security guards. Claeys' Game 2 World Series ticket, a letter from Gov. Rod Blagojevich written to Claeys and other Sox memorabilia will be on display.

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-25-2006, 08:35 PM
In addition to this, they should have Harry's old butterfly net from catching foul balls from his FIRST Chicago baseball job....with the White Sox.

Andy T Clown
01-25-2006, 11:09 PM
I may even enter this place now.:gulp:

MadetoOrta
01-25-2006, 11:21 PM
I've always thought it would be the ultimate in-your-face to have Harry Caray on the Jumbotron singing Take-Me-Out-To-The-Ballgame during a Sox/Cubs game. Harry and Nancy started the tradition and it's been hijacked. The looks on the faces of the bandwagon fans would be priceless. "Dude, how'd they do that? It's like the commerical where Ehlo makes the shot against the Bulls. ..... What's the score?"

Unregistered
01-25-2006, 11:41 PM
...waiting for the first idiot to bitch about how stupid it is that the trophy is going to be at an old Cubs announcer's place...

mrfourni
01-26-2006, 08:22 AM
we have to make sure they don't try to blow up the world series ball and serve it in our spaghetti.

MsSoxVixen22
01-26-2006, 08:24 AM
As happy as it makes me to hear this, I STILL won't set foot in Harry Caray's. Now everytime Flub fans eat they can remember the SOX won the WS!

Hitmen77
01-26-2006, 08:27 AM
Seeing as Harry Caray was a Sox announcer for just about as long as he was a Cubs announcer, I'm glad they're putting up a World Series display and I wish they'd do more to commemorate his history on the South Side.

He had a very eventful 11 years with the Sox. Just because it didn't happen on WGN doesn't make it less so.

Hangar18
01-26-2006, 08:58 AM
Seeing as Harry Caray was a Sox announcer ...................I wish they'd do more to commemorate his history on the South Side.

He had a very eventful 11 years with the Sox. Just because it didn't happen on WGN doesn't make it less so.

I think its kind of cool, but on the other hand, whats wrong with a Restaurant who's Mission Statement is to glorify anything and everything from a LOSING organization, while meanwhile setting aside a 4' x 4' sliver of space to honor the "other" teams WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP.
Just tells me theyre losers too............

thepaulbowski
01-26-2006, 11:08 AM
...waiting for the first idiot to bitch about how stupid it is that the trophy is going to be at an old Cubs announcer's place...

Probably would be the same guy who complained they had Cardinal gear in there. Why would Harry Carey's resteraunt have Cardinal memorabilia?!?! :cool:

TheKittle
01-26-2006, 12:10 PM

People complaining on WSI? No that doesn't happen.

Brian26
01-26-2006, 12:12 PM
My advice to anyone who wants to go there: Go in, check out the Sox memorabilia, then walk across the street and have a good meal at Keefer's.

Chicken Dinner
01-26-2006, 12:19 PM
I may even enter this place now.:gulp:

NO DON"T!!!

Skippy
01-26-2006, 12:35 PM
a letter from Gov. Rod Blagojevich

Who? :D:

Fake Chet Lemon
01-26-2006, 12:39 PM
As happy as it makes me to hear this, I STILL won't set foot in Harry Caray's. Now everytime Flub fans eat they can remember the SOX won the WS!

Harry was a good guy. I think he pretty much got run out of our side of town. I don't think he was looking to leave.

Sad
01-26-2006, 02:07 PM
Probably would be the same guy who complained they had Cardinal gear in there. Why would Harry Carey's resteraunt have Cardinal memorabilia?!?! :cool:

didn't he also spend one season in Oakland(?) before taking the Cubs job that was promised to Milo

Palehose13
01-26-2006, 02:42 PM
and Paul Konerko's grand slam ball, which fan Chris Claeys caught during Game 2. Claeys immediately placed the ball in a secured vault at MB Financial Bank. It will arrive at Harry Caray's from the bank in an armored car surrounded by security guards. Claeys' Game 2 World Series ticket, a letter from Gov. Rod Blagojevich written to Claeys and other Sox memorabilia will be on display.

Didn't Paul request that ball? Sorry if I look like a complaining idiot, but I don't understand how this guy can sell the ball to Harry Caray's after the touching moment when PK gave the last out ball to Reinsdorf at the parade. I have no problem with the trophy making a stop there and the other stuff, but man...that's cold.

Baby Fisk
01-26-2006, 03:10 PM
Didn't Paul request that ball? Sorry if I look like a complaining idiot, but I don't understand how this guy can sell the ball to Harry Caray's after the touching moment when PK gave the last out ball to Reinsdorf at the parade. I have no problem with the trophy making a stop there and the other stuff, but man...that's cold.
Who is Chris Claeys and why is his letter from the governor so important? :?:

thepaulbowski
01-26-2006, 04:40 PM

From the sound of it, he might just be loaning the ball to them.

Even if he is selling it, good for him. He got lucky and caught the right the ball. PK doesn't need to sell the last out ball, he's millionaire many times over. I'm not saying I would do the same thing, but they would have to give a REALLY good offer for that ball if I caught. :cool: