PDA

View Full Version : Anderson Gomes

KRS1
01-25-2006, 05:29 PM
For those who were wondering about him when we signed him earlier this year, Phil Rogers had some interesting things to say in his BA chat today. He said,
" I hear he's 6.5 in the 60, and has apparently put on some unbelievable displays in batting practice. He's almost totally untested in competition, however, but the same guys are touting him who worked with Soriano when he was a Japanese minor-leaguer."

6.5 in the 60!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's world class, Mo Green has the record at 6.39. The comparison to Soriano is a little exagerated IMO as at he had some experience as a hitter against good competition before he came to the States.

He added, "This guy could be the sleeper of all sleepers, pushing guys like Podsednik, Owens and Anderson as early as 2007."

Well, I'm impressed. I'm sure most everyone here felt basically blah, about the pick-up, but apparently he was a pretty hot commodity as a FA.

Randar68
01-25-2006, 09:05 PM
For those who were wondering about him when we signed him earlier this year, Phil Rogers had some interesting things to say in his BA chat today. He said,
" I hear he's 6.5 in the 60, and has apparently put on some unbelievable displays in batting practice. He's almost totally untested in competition, however, but the same guys are touting him who worked with Soriano when he was a Japanese minor-leaguer."

6.5 in the 60!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's world class, Mo Green has the record at 6.39. The comparison to Soriano is a little exagerated IMO as at he had some experience as a hitter against good competition before he came to the States.

He added, "This guy could be the sleeper of all sleepers, pushing guys like Podsednik, Owens and Anderson as early as 2007."

Well, I'm impressed. I'm sure most everyone here felt basically blah, about the pick-up, but apparently he was a pretty hot commodity as a FA.

Also mentioned the Sox gave him 3rd round money to sign. Doesn't sound like a real bidding war, but we'll see. Supposedly put on some great Batting Practice shows, but he wouldn't be the first guy to do that and not be able to reproduce it in games if that's the way it turned out.

Not sure where Phil is going sometimes when he over-hypes kids like that and Francisco Hernandez before they deserve it.

California Sox
01-25-2006, 09:41 PM
And he used to be a pitcher.

Sounds like that kid Sid Finch. :D:

Daver
01-25-2006, 09:53 PM
Not sure where Phil is going sometimes when he over-hypes kids like that and Francisco Hernandez before they deserve it.

Phil relies a lot on BA, and the information they supply him.

I'm not making excuses for him, just stating the fact.

CashMan
01-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Can I get a background on Gomes?

Randar68
01-25-2006, 11:29 PM
Can I get a background on Gomes?

If you do, let us all know.

About all we know right now is:

1) he's got world class speed
2) used to be a mediocre pitcher (but a live arm) in the Japanese Leagues
3) is Brazilian
4) "Gomes" is pronounced like "Gomez"...

CashMan
01-26-2006, 08:42 AM
Is ago known?

CashMan
01-26-2006, 08:43 AM
Sorry, Is age known?

soxfaninvegas
01-26-2006, 12:39 PM
born 3-12-85

CashMan
01-26-2006, 12:48 PM
IF that is true, this might be a GREAT thing!

KyWhiSoxFan
01-26-2006, 12:59 PM
Other than him being fast, does anyone know anything about his baseball skills, batting average anywhere?

KRS1
01-26-2006, 01:20 PM
Other than him being fast, does anyone know anything about his baseball skills, batting average anywhere?

Apparently, he missed the entire 05' season due to an arm injury, and has yet to get a pro AB. That's not to say the skill isn't there, it just means he is really going have to work and show us something before we know exactly what type of hitter he may be.

White Sox Randy
01-26-2006, 01:35 PM
Wow, am I excited.

The guy is a great athlete and has some skills. We just don't know if he can play baseball.

California Sox
01-26-2006, 03:07 PM
Sometimes this board mystifies me. We trade Chris Young, who tore up AA at 21, and no one seems to care. We get a Brazilian pitcher who runs fast and looks good in batting practice and people are ecstatic. Maybe we should wait to see if he can make the Kannapolis Intimidators before we annoint him the heir apparent in CF.

caulfield12
01-26-2006, 03:15 PM

Anderson Gomes=Toe Nash=Colt Griffin

If speed was the only factor, then Rodney McCray would have been an All-Star instead of a pinch runner deluxe.

With the Sox, weve seen this position change thing tried with varying success, most recently with Kieschnick and also Jason Dellaero. Maybe they will next make Jason Stumm a catcher or a 3B?

How much money did we spend to get him? I am assuming $75,000-150,000 or somewhere in that vicinity.

rdivaldi
01-26-2006, 03:34 PM
Sometimes this board mystifies me. We trade Chris Young, who tore up AA at 21, and no one seems to care. We get a Brazilian pitcher who runs fast and looks good in batting practice and people are ecstatic. Maybe we should wait to see if he can make the Kannapolis Intimidators before we annoint him the heir apparent in CF.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. I don't see anyone getting "estatic". I'd call it more curiosity than anything else. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if he just ended up being the next Ruddy Yan.

caulfield12
01-26-2006, 03:49 PM
That's a bit of an exaggeration. I don't see anyone getting "estatic". I'd call it more curiosity than anything else. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if he just ended up being the next Ruddy Yan.

Not too long ago we got Julio Ramirez from the Marlins, he was the next Roberto Clemente.

Later, we traded for five-tool stud Alex Escobar and barely kept him long enough to get a uniform before we flipped him for Jerry Owens.

soxinem1
01-26-2006, 03:59 PM

I agree to an extent with your skepticism, but KW has stuck gold a few times with 'nobody heard or thought of' pick ups, ala Jenks, Iguchi, and a couple others.

A lot of times the tools displayed by the player have you thinking you may have discovered the next Alex Rodriguez......

and hope you haven't discovered the next Alex Escobar........

We'll just have to wait and see.

CashMan
01-26-2006, 04:36 PM
The Sox picked Alex Escobar off waivers.

soxinem1
01-26-2006, 04:46 PM
The Sox picked Alex Escobar off waivers.

True, and he never played for the team anywhere, in the minors or majors.

Randar68
01-26-2006, 05:06 PM
Not too long ago we got Julio Ramirez from the Marlins, he was the next Roberto Clemente.

Later, we traded for five-tool stud Alex Escobar and barely kept him long enough to get a uniform before we flipped him for Jerry Owens.

Don't exaggerate or anything. Makes your point appear soooo much more valid... :rolleyes:

CleeFan101
01-26-2006, 07:07 PM

Well for 1 Chris Young was like 23 or 24 cant remember and we got a great player in return Javier Vazquez..... And while it would be foolish to get over-excited about this kid b4 we see how he plays right now all we know is he has all the tools and has amazing speed so its ok to get a little excited over a player of his talent.

California Sox
01-26-2006, 09:23 PM
Well for 1 Chris Young was like 23 or 24 cant remember and we got a great player in return Javier Vazquez..... And while it would be foolish to get over-excited about this kid b4 we see how he plays right now all we know is he has all the tools and has amazing speed so its ok to get a little excited over a player of his talent.

Chis Young's DOB 09/05/83 means he turns 23 on September 5, 2006.

We'll see with Vazquez. I'm prejudiced because he murdered me in Roto last year, but it's true if you take out about six outings in which he was Arnie Munoz bad (including two vs. Cubs) he was decent.

My point is that Young was a player with all the tools who had proven himself in the minors but the vast vast majority here cared very little about giving him up. Then we hear about a guy who is only 18 months younger and seems to have a similar skill set, but has never had an at bat in professional baseball (or it seems at a high level of amateur baseball) and people start buzzing. It seems inconsistent to me.

Randar68
01-27-2006, 04:39 PM
Then we hear about a guy who is only 18 months younger and seems to have a similar skill set, but has never had an at bat in professional baseball (or it seems at a high level of amateur baseball) and people start buzzing. It seems inconsistent to me.

Again, if you mean "buzzing" as in: Trying to figure out who a guy is that a baseball beat reported spoke very highly of in a BA chat, then sure.

Nobody's hyping him regardless of what you will have yourself believe. You're over-reacting.

Sox-o-matic
01-27-2006, 06:24 PM
Chis Young's DOB 09/05/83 means he turns 23 on September 5, 2006.

We'll see with Vazquez. I'm prejudiced because he murdered me in Roto last year, but it's true if you take out about six outings in which he was Arnie Munoz bad (including two vs. Cubs) he was decent.

My point is that Young was a player with all the tools who had proven himself in the minors but the vast vast majority here cared very little about giving him up. Then we hear about a guy who is only 18 months younger and seems to have a similar skill set, but has never had an at bat in professional baseball (or it seems at a high level of amateur baseball) and people start buzzing. It seems inconsistent to me.

I don't know if it would be correct to say that people here didn't care that we gave up Chris Young. I think it would be more accurate to say that most people here stoped questioning KW as much following the Iguchi and AJ signings and the Uribe, Garcia, and Contreras trades.

Personally, I didn't like to see Young traded (even though I've never watched him play) because of how high his stock was around here, but I think that if KW can turn Javier around to the pitcher he was supposed to be, he would still be worth more as far as what the Sox are trying to accomplish right now, even if Chris Young fulfilled his potential.

Gee
01-27-2006, 07:29 PM
This was basically what I was saying about "internationalized" baseball, how from anywhere any guy can pop up on the scene and possibly cause a stir in the organization IF he is the real deal. From everything I have been reading I can see that he is a unproven guy in real situations etc. Phil Rodgers of BA was basically requesting people to please ask about him. After he told us about him, it was like, ohhh here comes another one, and with KWs track record lately and the apparent very good development system, it should be interesting to follow.

But remember, "the creme always rises to the top!"

California Sox
01-28-2006, 11:43 AM
Again, if you mean "buzzing" as in: Trying to figure out who a guy is that a baseball beat reported spoke very highly of in a BA chat, then sure.

Nobody's hyping him regardless of what you will have yourself believe. You're over-reacting.

Point well taken. I was reacting to some "Wows" and "I'm exciteds" on page 1. Plus, I took some heat for opposing the Vazquez trade and I'm still smarting. I apologize.

You will have to admit, however, that if Phil is climbing out on a limb to make F. Hernandez a top ten prospect, getting too excited about Gomes would be venturing out onto a stick.

Still, I hope he's as good as Phil seems to think.

The Wimperoo
01-29-2006, 05:35 PM
Someone asked about KW and Ozzie about Gomes at SoxFest and both acted like they had never even heard of him. I'm sure Kenny has, but he kind of gave a shocked look that anyone would even mention him. Kenny then said if they aren't on the 3 year board then he doesn't really pay much attention to them and they are left to Dave Wilder and crew.

KRS1
01-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Someone asked about KW and Ozzie about him at SoxFest and neither acted like they had never even heard of him. Kenny said if they aren't on the 3 year board then he doesn't really know much about them and they are left to Dave Wilder and crew.

Wait....I'm confused.....What????:?:

The Wimperoo
01-29-2006, 07:04 PM
Wait....I'm confused.....What????:?:

I fixed my abortion of a post. Basically Kenny said if you aren't on the 3 year board he doesn't pay much attention to you. Which is the case with Gomes.

caulfield12
01-30-2006, 12:11 PM
I fixed my abortion of a post. Basically Kenny said if you aren't on the 3 year board he doesn't pay much attention to you. Which is the case with Gomes.

I think he was probably trying to say that every team signs these type of prospects, although it is somewhat rare for the White Sox to spend 2nd or 3rd round money. They´ve never really ventured into those bidding wars in Latin America and Asia....you have Carlos Lee and Magglio Ordonez, but we have never had a great track record developing and scouting Dominicans and Puerto Ricans. Iguchi and Takatsu were just the beginning with Japan and Korea...we also had that pitcher in AA a couple of seasons ago.

I guarantee that one solid minor league season will put Gomes on the map, but until he succeeds as a hitter in the Sox system, he really does not exist.

White Sox Randy
01-30-2006, 03:28 PM
I just heard Peter Gammons say that he expects Gomes to become a Tim Raines type player only with more power. He said that he should be ready for the bigs by next year, possibly by August of this season. He predicts a HOF career for him.

rdivaldi
01-30-2006, 04:09 PM
I just heard Peter Gammons say that he expects Gomes to become a Tim Raines type player only with more power. He said that he should be ready for the bigs by next year, possibly by August of this season. He predicts a HOF career for him.

Well, I guess he'll never make it past AA then...

California Sox
01-30-2006, 05:47 PM

Where did you hear this? Kind of surprising that Gammons is talking about a guy without an AB, but then again he was out front on the big Toe Nash story.

Well, whatever, I hope he didn't jinx the kid.

KRS1
01-30-2006, 10:38 PM

I'm guessing this was supposed to be in teal. If not, I really have to bring Peter into question here(yeah I know that's a first), seeing how Anderson hasnt had an pro AB yet, and not one AB vs. a pro pitcher in ANY league, winter or other, that I can find to speak of in general. Now that I think about it, reading the HOF line, this post was definitely made in jest, stupid me.

FedEx227
02-07-2006, 11:24 PM

Five-tool stud is right!

His best pro season 2004 Indians:
46 games, 152 AB. 20 runs, 32 hits, 1 home run, 12 RBIs, 1 SB

His best minor league season isn't that overwhelming either, even funnier is the fact that it happened in 1998. Yes, potential 5-tool stud....9 years ago. Now hes just an injury-prone bust.